Liverpool V West Ham - Sat January 31st KO 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:18 pm

Impressed with the clean sheet, the defence including Mignolet has been excellent and has given us a platform to build from

With SAS and Coutinho we are looking in good shape

Next Bolton on weds and Everton a week today
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:06 pm

cardiff-red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:18 pm wrote:Impressed with the clean sheet, the defence including Mignolet has been excellent and has given us a platform to build from

I came in here to say the very same thing, the back 3 and keeper were once again excellent.
Because praising the defence is something we seem to be doing on a weekly basis now it's easy to become blasé about it but the transformation in the defensive side of our game is almost miraculous. It's actually hard to believe that a defence can go from looking so poor to so good without the panacea of significant investment.
I thought Sakho in particular was immense today but they all stood up to West Ham's physical approach incredibly well. It wasn't that long ago that the likes of Carroll and Carlton Cole were giving Carragher/Skrtel/Agger etc nightmares but I felt we were comfortable today.
Nice to see Danny get off the mark too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Danish Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:20 pm

Was the stream that some people were watching a bit dodgy ?
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Santa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Lucas is our 2015 Hamann...stabilises the defence and doing all the shit dirty job that can often go unseen
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:43 pm

West Ham have been on a very impressive run and have produced some very attractive attacking football. Having said that they looked extremely mediocre today and we're limited to 34% possession and 2 shots on target. Easy to blame West Ham for their somewhat lacklustre performance but I prefer to think that we made their lives very difficult and they didn't have an answer. Carroll throws himself around like confetti at a wedding but even that didn't cause our defence many problems.

Coutinho is back on top form and had another great game. The same could be said of Sterling. The understanding that is developing between those two players is almost telepathic. Mignolet is looking more confident and it is no coincidence that a far more solid defence has helped him. Can continues to impress. I'be is going to special if he continues to adapt. Lallana and Markovic need to do more but they both certainly have ability. Sakho is beginning to look like a £17m defender.Lucas had a great game and just smashes it up so effectively when necessary. Henderson also did ok.

With a bit of luck we can have a great second half to the season. A couple of cups and top 4 or is that just being daft  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:53 pm

With all said and done ,let's not get confused we still need another striker. I know BR won't bring anyone and i can understand why no one trusts him with money but their is a huge question mark over Daniel's health going forward (God or luck keep him healthy please) ,i would think that considering the faith of our season lies in that one position we would do some signings it seems we are rolling the dice instead...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:26 pm

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:49 pm

Brilliant to see Daniel back ,and he's proved he's a quality striker even when he's half fit ,but my man of the match was Sterling who arguably had his best game this
season in a red shirt ,I thought his performance earlier was 'world class',he tore the soul out of the Hammerz defence.

Coutinho is a little maestro and his deft clipped pass for Sterling was genuine quality and brushed with genius ,he's getting better with every game ...Sakho was immense
once again and his control of the ball was exemplary.

Brilliant atmosphere as well with the Hammers away boys in full voice and the Kop jubilant with the football we were seeing the lads play.

A really professional performance ,both defensively and in attack ,Lucas quelled Songs influence on the game completely ,he was almost Makelle like in his reading of the
game ,and Henderson looked assured and kept us ticking over nicely.

Lets keep this up.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:42 am

Yep great performance all around, Coutinho and Sterling where world class today. Their link up play tore West Ham to bits.

Also really, really impressed with Can. He is looking very solid in a more deeper role and I really think playing him their the rest of the season will do him a world of good.

Lucas is starting to find form again and really sorting our defensive midfield issues out, he needs to stay there.

Sturridge's introduction was just the kick start we need to end this season on a high, at least. Just hoping he can finish off the season without any injuries again.

The only criticism I had for the game was Henderson continually taking our free kicks. He never looks the part and hoping we can address this once Stevie leaves.

Also Markovic should have buried the chance he had in the 1st half. Really hope this kid can step out of Sterling and Coutinho's shadow, still feel we haven't seem the best of him.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Reg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:31 am

Well done Reds. The rumours of our demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:49 am

Good performance overall... Finally the team seem to be playing with some assuredness and with Sturridge it looks far more balanced.

Coutinho was shaking his head when he came off. He probably wanted to continue playing on...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 am

After just watching my country being crowed Asian champions followed by a  2-0 win over Westham with a good performance, I'm in absolute football bliss right now  :hearts

I don't how the stars have aligned in our favor but damn everything just looks so much better than 6 months ago

Now to nudge those pesky teams out of our way to the top 4  :buttrock
killerp

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:06 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:18 pm wrote:Impressed with the clean sheet, the defence including Mignolet has been excellent and has given us a platform to build from

I came in here to say the very same thing, the back 3 and keeper were once again excellent.
Because praising the defence is something we seem to be doing on a weekly basis now it's easy to become blasé about it but the transformation in the defensive side of our game is almost miraculous. It's actually hard to believe that a defence can go from looking so poor to so good without the panacea of significant investment.
I thought Sakho in particular was immense today but they all stood up to West Ham's physical approach incredibly well. It wasn't that long ago that the likes of Carroll and Carlton Cole were giving Carragher/Skrtel/Agger etc nightmares but I felt we were comfortable today.

Miraculous is right, like there wasn't even any transition period, one day we're conceding all kinds of goals and the next the defense is impenetrable. I think we now have 8 clean sheets, which is joined second in the league.

The real mystery for me is Mignolet though. Yes, I guess you could say he's now more confident considering he has a reliable defence infront of him, and although he's obviously not the best at coming out on crosses, he's not bad at it either. And you'd expect him to be considering how scared he was to come out earlier. It's like Brendan said to him "Mign, you should come out on crosses lad!" and Mign was like "Oh, you can do that?".
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:17 pm

I think going from 2 cbs to 3 cbs is the first thing that has made us stronger. Secondly we have the right balace at the back with Can looking composed and confident with the ball at his feet and Skrtel and Sakho there to get rid when needed. Along with that Lucas has come back in and with some form as well is protection at the back is underrated and will go a miss.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:04 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:06 pm wrote:

I have to say I have never been more wrong about a players ability than in the case of Sakho ,the fella has just looked like a Titan in our last few games .
I'm delighted to eat generous helpings of  humble pie when declaring the difference he has made to our defence.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games