Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:49 pm

#StopTheFlameWar

Seriously guys, why the need to convince everyone that you have the right opinion? I get if it's two or three or five posts but this is ridiculous. Only time will tell if you're right or not anyway (on this particular matter).
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:55 pm

LFC1990 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 pm wrote:Regardless of length he should have planned for a period of injury to sturridge and had someone in t he squad who can perform a role similar to Sturidge.

He doesnt want to play Borini and the other two cant play that system.

Who could he have brought in that is similar to Sturridge to cover for injury ?
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby LFC1990 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:14 pm

Berahino?
Rodriguez?

Thats not my job anyway well not for Liverpool its not.

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:55 pm wrote:
LFC1990 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 pm wrote:Regardless of length he should have planned for a period of injury to sturridge and had someone in t he squad who can perform a role similar to Sturidge.

First and foremost Sanchez (Yes i know the fcker didn't want Liverpool bit another 1m would have convinced him) ,You could have signed Torres ,Demba Ba ,Some French dude ,Some German dude and African Dude ,Plenty and plenty of strikers out their....BTW he still has a final chance this closing widow to save the season but he MUST bring someone.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:21 pm

LFC1990 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 pm wrote:Berahino?
Rodriguez?

Thats not my job anyway well not for Liverpool its not.

Rodriguez is still out injured isn't he ? Nearly a year now

Would have been surprised to see Berahino sold in the summer - this coming summer Prob but with an inflated price

Not sure if he is another flash in the pan or the real deal
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 pm

only me » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:19 pm wrote:

First and foremost Sanchez (Yes i know the fcker didn't want Liverpool bit another 1m would have convinced him) ,You could have signed Torres ,Demba Ba ,Some French dude ,Some German dude and African Dude ,Plenty and plenty of strikers out their....BTW he still has a final chance this closing widow to save the season but he MUST bring someone.

We tried to get Sanchez but he wanted to go to London

Torres ? After the way he left the club - no chance

Why do we need to bring someone in ? I can't see us bringing someone in and can't see us signing someone nor it defining our season ?
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 pm wrote:Or De Boer could move to the prem and do nothing

Winning titles in the Dutch league doesn't guarentee anything in the Prem - more successful managers than De Boer have arrived and failed.

Rodgers has had two and half season not three and people want him binned out already - how long will the next guy get ? 2 and half again ? Then the next guy and the next guy and we achieve nothing because we don't show the paitence required to actually allow someone to build

Suarez going in the summer changed the club's plans - this summer was supposed to be about strengthening and enforcing what we have and building around Suarez and Sturridge - losing a player like Suarez put the club back a few stages.

We haven't gone back full circle at all - far from it - the club and team is in a far better place than 2 and half years ago - we have an young exciting team playing far better football with the potential to go even further

Our last two games of note were against the Champions elect - and we matched them - in fact Prob outplayed them over the two games with one player being the difference.

Winning titles in the dutch league which he has done consistently is something at least, also you are very quick to disregard any experience he picked up as a player. What winning experience has brendan got ? . De boer could fail but equally so could rodgers. If it was a betting situation you would go with the safe money and that would be De Boer because of simple things like having won something.

I know exactly how long he is in the job. He was never my choice and as the manager of the club got my support. I had many reservations about him when he got the job but thought he spoke very well and at a bigger club with a better budget he would make the step needed. He hasn't and its become painful to listen to him. Fair enough last season was an over achievement but now in his 3rd season we are still hoping to put a run together to make 4th. Real progress that is. Even a  lot of it hinges on whether one player can stay fit never mind us having very little room for error in the remaining games. Its going to take some run as 75 points could be whats required. Thats 40 pts more we need with only 48 to play for. Other than that we are praying on others misfortune.

You must be really naive if you thought we wouldnt have a battle on our hands to keep suarez. He almost got out the season before and everyone knew it was coming again the following year. The club knew there was a very high chance they would lose him also but didn't care as they got a new release clause in giving them maximum value. Everyone knew all it would take was barca or real to come and he was gone. last summer's window should have been about bringing in quality players to push us on but it wasn't. It was spent covering up the mistakes of all his previous one's but fell short of papering over the cracks left by suarez. Will losing gerrard next summer also throw a spanner in the works ? Combined with Johnson is quite a bit of experience gone from within the group and we might have fecked up the plans we had to redraw to cope without suarez, so maybe we can redraw those again. After all football is ever changing and by doing this we will be evolving with it. Its normal after all.  :nod and totally acceptable  :no they are just paltry excuses like the one's you will hear next year if its not working.

In 2 and a half years we have gone from being a side hoping to challenge for 4th to a side thats hoping to challenge for 4th. I don't see the massive improvement you do and again we have gone from a side with potential to a side with potential.  Just because we finished 2nd and as you so quickly point out that it was the closest in 20 years but you also don't seem to get it was still 2nd and only 2 pts more than what rafa managed if you want to be pedantic about it. Just like you don't get what was wrong with the sideshow as i called it in the bernabeu. We exist as a club to play in those games not field weakened teams because they were a tough opposition and we might lose. Yes they put in one hell of a performance and did us proud but they were patsys and had we of fielded our best side we might have pulled off another magical night. Their performance was also well rewarded when they got to take to the field a few days later wasn't it ?.

We went toe to toe with the league leaders in a cup tie and you think its an amazing achievement. It was 2 good games in a cup that got a manager the sack only 2 and half years ago for winning the damn thing and facing the same opposition in the final of another. Our performances against them in the league is always a different story. Try 17 points different at the moment.

You sound like every single PR statement coming from the club. In a nice way of course  :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:41 pm

only me » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:19 pm wrote:

One might argue that a higher profile manager might have persuaded said players to join. Rather than looking at the club or area a player moves to, consider the managers at those clubs.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Red till I die

When BR took over the club he took over a team 17 points from 4th - closer to the last relegation spot

Right now with are 5 points from 4th - when we he took over we were nowhere near getting 4th just like the previous 3 seasons - right now we are in the mix for a CL spot not miles away as we were when BR took over.

In regards the comparisons to De Boer and BR winning things as players - irrelevent what a manager wins as a player - you can name a great deal amount of the best managers around that did nothing as a player.

Madrid - we played our strongest team at home and they got mullered - so he plays others players and they actually provide a far better performance and he gets critisized for it ?! I say well done for having the balls to change things - two games against Madrid and one of our teams performed against them. But then he gets critisized for not picking them against Chelsea ?! He can't win can he

When did anyone say anything about performing well against Chelsea was "amazing" ?!

The performances highlight the improved form the team have had in the last 8 weeks.

I had a read of the "Is the job too big for Rodgers" - loads demanding he makes changes and improves the team etc etc - he does that yet people still harp on back to before the improvements

Last season constantly gets dismissed - flash in the pan etc etc

We nearly won the league - that didn't happen with any previous manager regardless of what position or points they got - we nearly won the fecking league and it just gets dismissed.

On another forum someone mentioned that Liverpool fans used to stand above others with the way we stuck together , the way we allowed managers time to build , the mentality to defend our team our players and our manager - not anymore - all over the Internet its the same - the insults to managers , players and fans , the demands to remove the manager it's pathetic - 2 and half seasons where the team has moved and people want the manager gone - sad and great people that have been associated with our great club would be ashamed right now.
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 pm

red till i die!!

In 2 and a half years we have gone from being a side hoping to challenge for 4th to a side thats hoping to challenge for 4th. I don't see the massive improvement you do and again we have gone from a side with potential to a side with potential.  Just because we finished 2nd and as you so quickly point out that it was the closest in 20 years but you also don't seem to get it was still 2nd and only 2 pts more than what rafa managed if you want to be pedantic about it.

No offence Red but you are living in la-la land if you think we should be comfortably finishing above clubs like Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal (clubs that have the ability to spend sums like £60m and £40m on one player).
These days money is the number 1 factor in determining where you finish and until we start blowing those other clubs out of the water by spending £80m on single players we will always be a side challenging to get into the top 4.
Btw when Rafa was in charge it was much easier to get into the top 4, City weren't in the equation back then and Arsenal were still paying off their stadium.
Even if we did change manager your expectations are so unrealistic it wouldn't be long before you'd be on DeBoers back.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:25 am

Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:07 pm wrote:Red till I die

When BR took over the club he took over a team 17 points from 4th - closer to the last relegation spot

Right now with are 5 points from 4th - when we he took over we were nowhere near getting 4th just like the previous 3 seasons - right now we are in the mix for a CL spot not miles away as we were when BR took over.

In regards the comparisons to De Boer and BR winning things as players - irrelevent what a manager wins as a player - you can name a great deal amount of the best managers around that did nothing as a player.

Madrid - we played our strongest team at home and they got mullered - so he plays others players and they actually provide a far better performance and he gets critisized for it ?! I say well done for having the balls to change things - two games against Madrid and one of our teams performed against them. But then he gets critisized for not picking them against Chelsea ?! He can't win can he

When did anyone say anything about performing well against Chelsea was "amazing" ?!

The performances highlight the improved form the team have had in the last 8 weeks.

I had a read of the "Is the job too big for Rodgers" - loads demanding he makes changes and improves the team etc etc - he does that yet people still harp on back to before the improvements

Last season constantly gets dismissed - flash in the pan etc etc

We nearly won the league - that didn't happen with any previous manager regardless of what position or points they got - we nearly won the fecking league and it just gets dismissed.

On another forum someone mentioned that Liverpool fans used to stand above others with the way we stuck together , the way we allowed managers time to build , the mentality to defend our team our players and our manager - not anymore - all over the Internet its the same - the insults to managers , players and fans , the demands to remove the manager it's pathetic - 2 and half seasons where the team has moved and people want the manager gone - sad and great people that have been associated with our great club would be ashamed right now.

He did take over when we finished 17 points off the pace in kennys last season. The year before that it was 10 points off, The one before that 7 points off, The one before that 6 points off and the one before that we were in it. We have always been close mate  :D .
We are only 5 pts off after 22 games but again the year before he took over we were only 6pts off after 22 games believe it or not. The year before after 22 games we were 8 pts off and it gets better  :nod  The year before we were only 1 point off after 22 games. Imagine that. The year before we were in the top 4 after 22 games. Its where you finish in may that counts but the point is that its hardly the record of a club that was miles off anything. We always had our upsets at one stage or another and each manager with their own problems to deal with. 

What counts about Winning is the experience gained from it, Finals are high pressure and the more of them you are in, the better Equipped you are to deal with the next one. It counts because you go into these games having done it before rather than be In awe of a wonderful stadium and a magnificent occasion. Rodger's record is very poor when it comes to high pressure games. Having someone who has experienced that atmosphere is a very important trait.

I told you you don't get it about madrid. It was about the spiel as to why he fielded that team as much as actually putting it out. It Wouldn't have been so bad if he backed up the reason why he said he did that in the first place.

Ok then not Amazing but maybe a tad excited about making it noted that we ran the champions elect to a good game ?.  :D  The performance was indeed a reflection of the up turn of late and the change in the system. Its about what took him to make those changes though that i see most fans questioning and most have valid points.

Last season constantly gets dismissed  :laugh:  Says the very man who has pretty much dismissed rafa' s similar achievement in several posts and in the following sentence of this post I'm quoting..  :laugh:

I don't visit other forums, Feck I spend enough time on here as it is  :help  But what you posted is the way it was back when, totally different times that didn't have access to the technology thats about now. Its easy for everyone to join a forum and give there tuppence and i say fair play to them for voicing an opinion. What has never changed is that football is not a science, Its based on opinions from the lowest being us the fan's and the top being the management. Its all about opinion, I think he's good we should sign him, I don't. I think we should play that way, I dont , I think we should do this and there is always someone who doesn't. Your Fecked if you do, Fecked if you don't that will never change and please everybody that the Internet has so kindly put together. What has changed though is how ruthless these owners of clubs have become and how high a price is put on success and how little time they get to deliver. This is the environment he came to after inheriting the job from someone who paid the price. He can thank himself lucky that he has already outlasted his 2 predecessors that his employers disposed of.

If it was my decision then he is gone but it isn't and kinda isn't a decision that fans get to make either. Its those ruthless owners who will decide that  :nod .
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:54 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 pm wrote:
red till i die!!

In 2 and a half years we have gone from being a side hoping to challenge for 4th to a side thats hoping to challenge for 4th. I don't see the massive improvement you do and again we have gone from a side with potential to a side with potential.  Just because we finished 2nd and as you so quickly point out that it was the closest in 20 years but you also don't seem to get it was still 2nd and only 2 pts more than what rafa managed if you want to be pedantic about it.

No offence Red but you are living in la-la land if you think we should be comfortably finishing above clubs like Chelsea, City, United and Arsenal (clubs that have the ability to spend sums like £60m and £40m on one player).
These days money is the number 1 factor in determining where you finish and until we start blowing those other clubs out of the water by spending £80m on single players we will always be a side challenging to get into the top 4.
Btw when Rafa was in charge it was much easier to get into the top 4, City weren't in the equation back then and Arsenal were still paying off their stadium.
Even if we did change manager your expectations are so unrealistic it wouldn't be long before you'd be on DeBoers back.

I don't expect us to be hammering the top clubs no but I do expect us to be challenging them. I certainly don't expect us to be 17 points behind a side we were a few points ahead of at the end of last season. We paid over a hundred million to do that as well.

He said it himself he would only add a few and quality ones at that, Y'now to further things along with the development in line with what we are already doing. I honestly don't think Fsg gave a toss if he spent it on 4 players or 20 as long as its within budget. we might not have £80 mil to spend on one player but i never thought id see this club spend over a hundred million in a window either. There is value to be had out there its just that we aren't picking it.

As i said in a previous post yakka that if money was deciding where you finish then we have nothing to lose if we replace rodgers. As long as it isn't a total clown we will secure 5th again next year. Someone like de boer just might be able to attract those players we keep missing out on and buck the trend.

It might have been easier by about 8 pts or so to make the cl back then but we made it nonetheless and I prefer to remember it being on merit rather than others fortunes or misfortunes. The same way i think we earned our 2nd place finish last year, Not because manure fell apart or the other two had new managers.

No way would i be on De Boer's back after 2 and a half season's  :no  I like him  :laugh: Even if he blew a fortune on players then hung them out to dry, Even if he fielded the under 21's away at the nou-camp I wouldn't open my Mouth. Honestly not a word  :laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:00 am

Double post.....  :p
Last edited by The_Rock on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:00 am

Danish Red » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:07 am wrote:Red till I die

How about ......

When Rodgers took over .....this team was a successfully winning trophy and challenging in cup finals seen all over the world. Yes.....we were winning cups and going to finals. We won 1 cup and lost the other one to a team which eventually won the champions league.....  :eyebrow

We can play with words all we want but....  The fact is...coming in 2nd is just that..... 2nd. It isn't success. We didn't win the league last season so lets stop painting last season as a success. We lost the 2007 champions league cup final against Milan. Do you think fans consider that a success ?

The king had a plan. His mission was to get us winning stuff again. He was successful. He was then let go as the owners wanted something more from our manager. And you know what Rodgers promised them the sky. And he has failed to fulfil loads of his promises in his 3rd season with this club.

The big question to ask is.....What does he want to achieve with this club ? He comes up with cr@p after cr@p...i just can't see what is his vision for this club.

Do we play Barcelona tiki takka style ?
Do we play possession football ?
Do we play fast counter-attack football ?
Do we even what to use our capable youth team players ?
Do we want to sign average british players because he finds that foreign players don't really respect him ?

Its like Rodgers is making things up as he goes.

This job came too fast for him. If he was smarter and less egoistic he would have gotten help from more experienced coaches. But no... He sticks by his incompetent coaches. They don't know how to coach a successful team challenging on multiple fronts. And Rodgers as $hit doesn't know how to manage one.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:14 am

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:54 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:30 pm wrote:
red till i die!!

I don't expect us to be hammering the top clubs no but I do expect us to be challenging them. I certainly don't expect us to be 17 points behind a side we were a few points ahead of at the end of last season. We paid over a hundred million to do that as well.

He said it himself he would only add a few and quality ones at that, Y'now to further things along with the development in line with what we are already doing. I honestly don't think Fsg gave a toss if he spent it on 4 players or 20 as long as its within budget. we might not have £80 mil to spend on one player but i never thought id see this club spend over a hundred million in a window either. There is value to be had out there its just that we aren't picking it.

As i said in a previous post yakka that if money was deciding where you finish then we have nothing to lose if we replace rodgers. As long as it isn't a total clown we will secure 5th again next year. Someone like de boer just might be able to attract those players we keep missing out on and buck the trend.

It might have been easier by about 8 pts or so to make the cl back then but we made it nonetheless and I prefer to remember it being on merit rather than others fortunes or misfortunes. The same way i think we earned our 2nd place finish last year, Not because manure fell apart or the other two had new managers.

No way would i be on De Boer's back after 2 and a half season's  :no  I like him  :laugh: Even if he blew a fortune on players then hung them out to dry, Even if he fielded the under 21's away at the nou-camp I wouldn't open my Mouth. Honestly not a word  :laugh:

There's a reason why we are so far off Chelsea this season, we lost our best player and the heartbeat of our team and had to try and replace him while Chelsea (who spent a fair few quid themselves btw, the likes of Fabregas and Costa don't come cheap) were building from a position of strength.
Imagine Suarez stayed but Chelsea lost Hazard, Matic and Courtois? The dynamic would definitely have been changed.
Our 2 recent performances against Chelsea (not to mention the Arsenal performance) has shown that it has taken Rodgers half a season to get us competative with the top clubs again, considering we were the only top club who took a giant step backwards by losing their star player (not to mention losing Sturridge for 5 months) I think he has done a decent job.
You take the two best players out of any team and there will be a slump in performance, that's just a footballing fact.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion