Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:28 am

Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm wrote:But the "ladder" - it's a table not a ladder is irrelevant right now - it's what the position is at the end of the season that counts.

Haven't ignored anything

Is our current league form not good then ?

Do we not play better in the second half of the season ( statically a fact seen in the last two seasons )

And do we not have our main striker returning right now ?

What exactly is in front of my face that I'm ignoring ?

And if we don't finish forth - nothing changes , the manager gets the chance to continue - had enough managerial changes over the last 5 years - it's time we look for stability and build. Current manager has proven he can get the team into the CL

Ladder, league placing. So now we are arguing semantics, nothing like going off in tangents.  :laugh:

Current form means f**k all. Unlike you I choose to look at what happened through the ENTIRE season, which again you are ignoring to base your bias agenda around.

Historically playing better in the 2nd half of the season, you say? Wow so Rodgers is actually doing the same thing that we as fans deemed not good enough for Benitez and Kenny and that is actually have a consistent season where we started off well and finished well........isn't that the true mark of improvement? Not playing in sporadic patches that you seem to think is?

What is in front of your face? Why 8th place? We are 8th place. Do you want me to say it again. 22 games into this season we are in 8th place. Rodgers after been given over 100m+ to spend has us currently in 8th place. So as you say Rodgers has taken us from 8th place before he arrived to............currently 8th place.

And if we don't finish 4th don't cry yourself to sleep when he is given the pink slip, spending over 220m in 3 season to get us from 7th / 8th place to anything outside the top 4 is a remarkable failure whichever you see it.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:30 am

Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 pm wrote:
He took us from 8th to 2nd - progress

Took us from mid table into the CL - progress

He took us from 8th to second. Yes he did but will end up doing what the others did and followed it up with a poorer one the season after. You make it sound like 8th was something of a regular occurence and that mid table is a word associated with this club for years. We finished 8th once in 20 odd years mate. We had a couple of 7th places since rafa's last season but before that we were a solid CL side. That was nearly 6 years ago not 60.  By your logic going from 8th to 2nd being a success then surely going from 2nd to 4th has to be seen as a total failure. Below that is a catastrophe.

He qualified for the CL and then Masterminded an embarrassment. The worst european campaign for many a year with a sideshow at the bernabeu and a absymal effort to remain in the competition. By his own admission he knew the group would pan out the way it did and it would come down to the last game. If he knew that then he should have prepared a little better. There is no guarantee he won't do the same if we qualify again.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:34 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:39 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 pm wrote:No balloon popped - quite happy with the way things are going and very optimistic for the future

More sad that our club now has the fans that have sprung up over the last decade. Fans that have zero paitence and scream for manager changes at the first sign of trouble.

Thankfully it looks like our owners have their heads screwed on a bit more and will give him time and allow him to continue building

RBG is normally sound but for some reason he's sided with the knee jerk crew on this one, 4 managers in 5 years isn't quite enough for this crowd.
They'll all be singing Brendan's praises soon though, we are already a force to be reckoned with and that's without a recognised striker, now Sturridge is back we will really kick on.

4 managers in 5 years  :laugh:

So Benitez was here for 1 day was here? Never mind the 6 years he was given.

Ahhh nothing like bending the truth to fit ones own bent agenda.

C'mon Yakka you are better than that rubbish.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:42 am

eds » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 pm wrote:But the "ladder" - it's a table not a ladder is irrelevant right now - it's what the position is at the end of the season that counts.

Haven't ignored anything

Do we not play better in the second half of the season ( statically a fact seen in the last two seasons )

And if we don't finish forth - nothing changes , the manager gets the chance to continue - had enough managerial changes over the last 5 years - it's time we look for stability and build. Current manager has proven he can get the team into the CL

Ladder, league placing. So now we are arguing semantics, nothing like going off in tangents.  :laugh:

Current form means f**k all. Unlike you I choose to look at what happened through the ENTIRE season, which again you are ignoring to base your bias agenda around.

Historically playing better in the 2nd half of the season, you say? Wow so Rodgers is actually doing the same thing that we as fans deemed not good enough for Benitez and Kenny and that is actually have a consistent season where we started off well and finished well........isn't that the true mark of improvement? Not playing in sporadic patches that you seem to think is?

What is in front of your face? Why 8th place? We are 8th place. Do you want me to say it again. 22 games into this season we are in 8th place. Rodgers after been given over 100m+ to spend has us currently in 8th place. So as you say Rodgers has taken us from 8th place before he arrived to............currently 8th place.

And if we don't finish 4th don't cry yourself to sleep when he is given the pink slip, spending over 220m in 3 season to get us from 7th / 8th place to anything outside the top 4 is a remarkable failure whichever you see it.

I mentioned "ladder" because I didn't at first know what you are talking about - popular saying in the US or even abroad which I guess is where you are based

So first of all you say current form means "f@&k all" - yet that's the indicator of how we are playing right now and gives the best view to how we will continue to play

Then you say you look at the season as a whole but appear to only focus on the current league placing - nothing is decided in Jan - nothing , if we continue our recent form then we will gain a top 4 place - that is extremly possible especially with Sturridge returning to fitness.

I didn't deem both Rafa and Kenny as not good enough - so not sure how you come to that conclusion

I know we are in 8th place - meaningless because there is still a significant period left in the season and we won't finish 8th place.

Firing Rodgers just puts us right back to square one again and another 5 year plan ( with the Internet fans screaming for a new manager after 2 )
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:49 am

red till i die!! » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:30 pm wrote:
Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:46 pm wrote:
He took us from 8th to 2nd - progress

Took us from mid table into the CL - progress

He took us from 8th to second. Yes he did but will end up doing what the others did and followed it up with a poorer one the season after. You make it sound like 8th was something of a regular occurence and that mid table is a word associated with this club for years. We finished 8th once in 20 odd years mate. We had a couple of 7th places since rafa's last season but before that we were a solid CL side. That was nearly 6 years ago not 60.  By your logic going from 8th to 2nd being a success then surely going from 2nd to 4th has to be seen as a total failure. Below that is a catastrophe.

He qualified for the CL and then Masterminded an embarrassment. The worst european campaign for many a year with a sideshow at the bernabeu and a absymal effort to remain in the competition. By his own admission he knew the group would pan out the way it did and it would come down to the last game. If he knew that then he should have prepared a little better. There is no guarantee he won't do the same if we qualify again.

6 years is a lifetime in football - since that last season in the CL we had fallen back massively - overtaken by the BS , Spurs , City - yes we had started to fjnish in the lower half of the top half of the table on regular occasions

If going from 2nd to 4th ( especially after losing Suarez and then Sturridge)  is a failure then success would only be winning the title

The CL campaign was the same as Rafa's last campaign - and unless I watched a different game the team were far from a sideshow at Madrid - if anything put in a respectful performance
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby Danish Red » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:52 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:What amazes me is how prolific the posts  have become in this thread since the team has been struggling ,as opposed to last season when we came within a hares breath
of winning the fucking thing ! It seems far more posters are more open to denigrating the fella when he's in dire need of the trait we as fans  are supposed to pride
ourselves in 'PATIENCE' ....Although based on this thread 'specifically' I'm not sure it exists any longer. 

As for the context of some of the posts ,frankly they leave me embarrassed to use this forum ....Shameful !  :no

This is an interesting post I found back in October.
Danish Red
LFC Basic Member

Postby eds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:03 am

Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:42 pm wrote:
eds » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm wrote:

Haven't ignored anything

I mentioned "ladder" because I didn't at first know what you are talking about - popular saying in the US or even abroad which I guess is where you are based

So first of all you say current form means "f@&k all" - yet that's the indicator of how we are playing right now and gives the best view to how we will continue to play

Then you say you look at the season as a whole but appear to only focus on the current league placing - nothing is decided in Jan - nothing , if we continue our recent form then we will gain a top 4 place - that is extremly possible especially with Sturridge returning to fitness.

I didn't deem both Rafa and Kenny as not good enough - so not sure how you come to that conclusion

I know we are in 8th place - meaningless because there is still a significant period left in the season and we won't finish 8th place.

Firing Rodgers just puts us right back to square one again and another 5 year plan ( with the Internet fans screaming for a new manager after 2 )

Funny how you pick and choose your indicators at will.....

How we played last season and where we finished, check
How we have played in a handful of games since December, check
Sturridge returning, check

Everything else, no need to bother.  :laugh:

eds

Postby eds » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:47 am

Danish Red » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:52 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:What amazes me is how prolific the posts  have become in this thread since the team has been struggling ,as opposed to last season when we came within a hares breath
of winning the fucking thing ! It seems far more posters are more open to denigrating the fella when he's in dire need of the trait we as fans  are supposed to pride
ourselves in 'PATIENCE' ....Although based on this thread 'specifically' I'm not sure it exists any longer. 

As for the context of some of the posts ,frankly they leave me embarrassed to use this forum ....Shameful !  :no

This is an interesting post I found back in October.

What's interesting about it is that RBG has the capacity to reason like the rest of us and come to the conclusion that we are going nowhere under Rodgers.

You on the other hand are happy to close yourself off from reality, accept mediocrity and charge head first into oblivion while our competitors strengthen as each season goes by.

eds

Postby kazza » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:38 am

Just in case some of you have not realised but the season is not over yet, just saying!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm

You can't talk about football these days without discussing finances.  And sadly the majority of our fanbase don't understand our
financial situation.  We don't have the resources that United, City, Chelsea, Madrid or Barca have.  In fact, we are not even close. 
This is in terms of sponsorships, stadium and CL revenue. 

There are reasons we can't always sign players for huge fees on big salaries. 
There are reasons our star players leave the club.

Those reasons are not because of what formation Rodgers chooses or the defensive tactics Rafa / Houllier once deployed. 
Finishing 2nd last season was a huge overachievement. 

Anyone who thinks we should have improved this season after losing our 50 goal strike force and other teams making huge
improvements just doesn't understand modern day football.

We are a big club.  But not currently a huge one.  When we can generate more revenue, then we can be consistently be challenging
for trophies and top players.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Defenders of Rodgers continually fail to explain why nothing was done to replace the strike force that got us 50+ goals. It's not like there was no time or money to replace Suarez. We got a huge fee and released substantial wage funding.
And as for Sturridge, well it doesn't take a genius to see that he's injury prone and that going into the new season with no contingency plan was a bad idea. We sell Andy Carroll and bring in Lambert and Balotelli. There's also Origi (?), the promising talent we signed and loaned back.
Many blame Balo for the lack of goals. I don't. I blame whoever built our current strike force. The committee? That's for the conspiracy theorists. I blame the manager. If he agreed to work with/on the committee then I don't see as we can blame the players signed, or the owners. You'd not see the likes of Wenger, Guardiola or any strong manager agreeing to such.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:54 pm

edit
Last edited by red till i die!! on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm wrote:You can't talk about football these days without discussing finances.  And sadly the majority of our fanbase don't understand our
financial situation.  We don't have the resources that United, City, Chelsea, Madrid or Barca have.  In fact, we are not even close. 
This is in terms of sponsorships, stadium and CL revenue. 

There are reasons we can't always sign players for huge fees on big salaries. 
There are reasons our star players leave the club.

Those reasons are not because of what formation Rodgers chooses or the defensive tactics Rafa / Houllier once deployed. 
Finishing 2nd last season was a huge overachievement. 

Anyone who thinks we should have improved this season after losing our 50 goal strike force and other teams making huge
improvements just doesn't understand modern day football.

We are a big club.  But not currently a huge one.  When we can generate more revenue, then we can be consistently be challenging
for trophies and top players.

Sadly you are right Jac in that financial situations is a massive part of football now but I think you are wrong in saying our fans don't understand this. They do because its all fenway and the manager come out with. It has been all about the finances now for a good few years and they still dominate proceedings like not having it to spend now in this window.
Our owners say they have the financial backing to compete with anyone but then use FFP to hide behind. City came from nowhere and through heavy bankrolling they have established themselves as one of the biggest clubs in the league and are making serious ground in the global fanbase stakes. That investment is paying off and they have no fears of FFP because they pay the fines just like fenway could. City has a restriction for flouting the rules in that their CL squad has been reduced buy yet they are still in the damn thing. Even chelsea are now a profitable business with revenues topping ours. The help that those owners gave their clubs have brought their clubs to the top while we have to accept the fact that fenway want to cheap it. It isn't like they paid a fortune for the club either is it   :no  they lent us the money to do it just the same as they will lend us money towards the stadium.

If we were willing to pay sanchez whatever he wants then you cannot claim we can't pay big fees or salaries. We have been told we really tried for him and offered him everything so obviously we have the capacity to accomodate that. Unless they were lying to us all along. There was also this massive interest in falcao but only a few weeks ago we found out that our 9 summer signings earn less than he does. They were never ever going to sign him.

Our star players will always leave so we better get used to it as it will be a regular occurence. Can you really see sterling or coutinho still being here by the time they are 25 and should be hitting their peak.

Its a results game jac. Finishing 2nd was all down to suarez and how he carried the team. If it was down to the manager or philosophy we wouldnt have suffered so much without him. There was 10 other players on the pitch playing that style and now that we lose one the rest seem to have forgot everything to the point that we had to go back to basics and employ a totally new system alien to said philosophy.

I think we should have improved seeing as we only lost suarez and had over a 100 mil alongside adequate time to do so. It is only one player and yet a whole team suffers and not just for goals. we had to change everything just to compensate for one player. Losing sturridge through injury for so long was also a blow but expected. He was never going to last a season and should never have been made no 1 after suarez departed due to his terrible fitness record. Going with him as no 1 was always destined to fail and a lesson needs to be learned from it. What was it brendan said about spurs ? it was that if you spend a 100 million then you have to be seriously challenging for the league  :nod Maybe its him that is struggling to understand modern day football.

Even though we aren't winning titles we have still maintained our status as one of the biggest footballing institutions on the planet. A few years ago it was that we need CL to attract better players, Then its you need to be an established CL club and now its that we need to generate more revenue.
It is very hard to compete under these owners but its made equally harder by the fact we have a manager who is far to inexperienced for the task.

Loads point out that we will finish in line with our spending and team value, If thats true we will finish 5th and personally I reckon if its that set out in stone then we have nothing to lose in replacing rodgers with someone more experienced.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

RedAnt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 pm wrote:Defenders of Rodgers continually fail to explain why nothing was done to replace the strike force that got us 50+ goals. It's not like there was no time or money to replace Suarez. We got a huge fee and released substantial wage funding.
And as for Sturridge, well it doesn't take a genius to see that he's injury prone and that going into the new season with no contingency plan was a bad idea. We sell Andy Carroll and bring in Lambert and Balotelli. There's also Origi (?), the promising talent we signed and loaned back.
Many blame Balo for the lack of goals. I don't. I blame whoever built our current strike force. The committee? That's for the conspiracy theorists. I blame the manager. If he agreed to work with/on the committee then I don't see as we can blame the players signed, or the owners. You'd not see the likes of Wenger, Guardiola or any strong manager agreeing to such.

Well Sturridge is still at the club.  We knew he was injury prone of course but i doubt anybody imagined he would miss the first 6 months of the season.  This is part of football and almost any team would suffer losing a key player for 6 months.  Think of Barca without Messi, Madrid without Ronaldo, Chelsea without Costa. 

From what I understand, we tried to sign Costa last season but were reluctant to meet his buyout clause. 
We wanted Sanchez this summer but the lad didn't want to come.  Probably wanted the London lifestyle.
We tried to sign Remy for a reasonable fee but it fell through at the final hurdle.  (possible failed medical)
We tried to sell Borini to free up some funds but the lad flat out refused to leave.

All symptoms of a club that lacks financial power.  Could we have pushed further for Costa or Sanchez?  Could we have tried harder to force Borini on his way?
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 pm

Red til i die 

I agree with what your saying but i just don't think changing managers will help in any noticeable way.
We tried managers from the Bootroom like Evans.
Tried defensively organised managers like Houllier and Rafa. 
Tried bringing back a club legend in Kenny.
Now we are trying the young attack minded manager with a philosophy. 
We've had 5 year plans that ended after 6 and started us back off in year 1 of a new 5 year plan. 

Arsenal have tried the stability approach with Wenger.  Spurs are trying the change your manager every other season approach. 

Nothing works in football anymore without huge investment.  F.uck me im miserable today  :D
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion