Is Gerrard a "Problem" ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:41 pm wrote:I dont believe that happened for one minute personally.

Rafa was not the mind of manager that would allow a player to dictate to him, no chance.

Yeah Benitez was a tough nut, he had run ins with the likes of Ferguson (and his minions like Allardyce), Mourinho and even the Chelsea fans when he was there, he subbed Gerrard in the Goodison derby when Gerrard wouldn't follow his instructions and he met the player power at Stamford Bridge head on by dropping the likes of Terry, Drogba and Lampard.
I couldn't see Rafa being ordered out of his own dressing room by any player.
It might have happened but there'll be a plausible explanation for it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby mart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:51 pm

Kopite-Jud » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 pm wrote:The problem is he is the only real leader we've got.

He used to lead by example, but how long is it since you have seen him do that? Last season Suarez was the real captain leading by example the way Gerrard did 5 years ago.
Last edited by mart on Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:56 am

mart » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:51 pm wrote:
Kopite-Jud » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 pm wrote:The problem is he is the only real leader we've got.

He used to lead by example, but how is it since you have seen him do that? Last season Suarez was the real captain leading by example the way Gerrard did 5 years ago.

:nod
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:04 pm

We all know whats happening, Carragher is right, said it since early days of the season... he no longer has anything to hit... however I stand by my point, Gerrard is only part of the problem, he's not the crux of it. Not even close...

He's one of five or six glaring issues that needs sorting and one of about 12 minor tweaks.

Crazy its gotten to this really.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Stu the Red » Nov 25th, '14, 16:04 wrote:We all know whats happening, Carragher is right, said it since early days of the season... he no longer has anything to hit... however I stand by my point, Gerrard is only part of the problem, he's not the crux of it. Not even close...

He's one of five or six glaring issues that needs sorting and one of about 12 minor tweaks.

Crazy its gotten to this really.

Agreed, he is only part of the problem, and Carra is spot on.

There are issues in all departments, including Coaching. BR's lack of drive, guille, ruthlessness is hurting the Club. He, as the Coach must know when to drop players, yet continues in the same way.  In any organisation, no matter what industry, an organisation has a long term strategy. The short and medium term strategies help the organisation reach the long term target. However, if the short and/or medium term strategies are not working then the organisation changes/tweaks what is not working in order that it can still reach it's long term target.

BR is doing nothing to change or even tweak the short and medium term targets. He's continued in the same vain like a stuck record. He and his coaching staff just don't know when to change things to help the Club move forward. They are learning I suppose, but LFC is no place to be learning the 'basics'. They can go back to Swansea for that.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:51 pm

LFC is no place to be learning the 'basics'. They can go back to Swansea for that.

With what he has done here so far I'd say he has the feeling he never left  :nod 

Thing is though can we afford him a few more years to get it right ? both time wise and financially.
It isn't just about our league form and the mistakes that has been made but also to this point an extremely poor CL campaign. Do we really have the sort of time for him to learn all this.
By his own admission he is struggling to cope with the extra games this season and like all his other mistakes it has to literally bite him in the sack before the penny drops and even then he is reluctant or too stubborn to do anything about it.

Giving him 3 more years is just taking the same gamble we originally took on him a second time  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:26 pm

Carragher on why Gerrard should be rested for the betterment of the team and his career.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jamie-carragher-steven-gerrard-liverpool-4715345?

Its only an echo from what the fans have been shouting all season.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:06 am

Personally don't think anyone should be trying to prolong Gerrard's career but I don't think he's going to go gracefully unfortunately.

Rodgers is not strong enough to end his career so I suspect he will stink the place out until he can barely walk on to the field and puts his hand up.

The lads been incredible but he's finished and I hope he retires at the end of the season for his and our sake.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:00 pm

He does look better further up the pitch though, he's less of a defensive liability up there.
If Brendan had the bottle to properly manage his game time Gerrard could be an major asset to the team as an impact player but from the outside looking in it seems Gerrard's not prepared to listen to any suggestions along those lines.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

This is what we should reduce Gerrard's role to, coming in in the final minutes and trying to impact the game. Can't have him starting every game at 34, too much of a defensive liability, as yakka says. I know most will disagree with me (probably Brendan as well unfortunately) but Lucas should take Gerrard's place from now on. Not a great player but the team looks more balanced with him in the side.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:31 pm

We play with lucas as a DM and suddenly our defence looks composed. Our GK looks commanding (ok..... he is not world class...but it was an above average performance by Mignolet and that was a world class save from bojan).

The thing is many posters in this forum were reiterating the point that Gerrard playing as a DM offers our defence no protection. And apparently it took Rodgers 13 games to find that out.

Lets hope he is more smart to setting up the team in future. It has to be either Lucas Or Can as a pivot protecting the defence (if push comes to shove..then put allen there).  Gerrard has to be an impact sub against the big team and play off the striker against the weaker teams.

Continue this....until the summer. Then get in quality DM and Striker and build from there.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:00 pm

If the papers are to be believed then this is his last season with us
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/pre ... --sow.html

also rodgers has given an interview to ellis from the mirror which was printed on todays back page. in it he is saying that his days of playing 90 minutes and every game are over  :laugh:
personally i don't have a problem if he sits out but why the sudden change from rodgers ? it was only last week he was hailing him as perfectly able to play 3 games in a week and now he isn't.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:07 pm

On the back page of the Sunday People it's also saying Gerrard is seriously thinking about leaving. Apparently the club offered him a new contract a few weeks ago but he hasn't signed it yet as he is not happy with the money they are offering.
He's particularly not happy his wages are being dramatically cut at a time when his image not only adorns but fronts every LFC advertising campaign around the world and he's not overly enamoured with the idea of having a reduced role in the side either.
The article reckons that if he goes it will probably be abroad, maybe the US.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:17 pm

red till i die!! wrote:If the papers are to be believed then this is his last season with us
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/pre ... --sow.html

also rodgers has given an interview to ellis from the mirror which was printed on todays back page. in it he is saying that his days of playing 90 minutes and every game are over  :laugh:
personally i don't have a problem if he sits out but why the sudden change from rodgers ? it was only last week he was hailing him as perfectly able to play 3 games in a week and now he isn't.

perhaphs gerrard raised the rent fees

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion