GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:47 am

More than any other player, Johnson will bring on the downfall of Rodgers...
:nod
Thommo's perm

Postby C-R » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:47 am wrote:More than any other player, Johnson will bring on the downfall of Rodgers...
:nod

suppose at least he is good for something then mate  :glare:
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Thommo - We have debated the ability of Johnson in the past and I have defended him. Unfortunately over the last 15 months he has gone out of his way to prove you right !! Like you I hate criticising any of the lads in Johnson I will make an exception.

It has been suggested that we are offering Johnson another contract for two years at £70k per week. If this is true then to be frank it beggars belief. Kids having to work on a minimum wage show more enthusiasm for their jobs.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:28 pm

devaney » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 pm wrote:Thommo - We have debated the ability of Johnson in the past and I have defended him. Unfortunately over the last 15 months he has gone out of his way to prove you right !! Like you I hate criticising any of the lads in Johnson I will make an exception.

It has been suggested that we are offering Johnson another contract for two years at £70k per week. If this is true then to be frank it beggars belief. Kids having to work on a minimum wage show more enthusiasm for their jobs.

Im always right, it just takes some people longer to realise it...
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:13 am

devaney » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:03 pm wrote:Thommo - We have debated the ability of Johnson in the past and I have defended him. Unfortunately over the last 15 months he has gone out of his way to prove you right !! Like you I hate criticising any of the lads in Johnson I will make an exception.

Glen when he isn't acting like Glenda in fairness isn't the worst player  :D 
He is a football player at the end of the day and only has a few more years decent salary ahead of him. I fully agree that even the wage after the pay cut is disgusting but in the end it almost represents a 50% drop. He's played every week and probably can't understand why they won't at least keep him on his current salary. Anybody would be less than enthusiastic showing up for their job now if they was offered a new contract with that kind of cut.
He has only turned 30 as well and won't hang around for that deal and we won't get anything for him either which is the killer part. If he wasn't going to sign the contract when it was first offered ages ago he should have been sold.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:46 pm

Still fritters the ball away with his jaunts up field ,but credit where its due ,he battled well today and showed a real tenacity coupled with proper courage to throw
his noggin on that ball with Stokes clogger's in close proximity.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:48 pm

Agree Red, i don't like him as a player and will be happy for him to leave, but credit where it is due, he won us the 3 points with his bravery today
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:37 pm

Yep as both RB and CR rightly point out credit where it's due today to Glen for putting his head in where it hurts. Not only was it a brave header (make no mistake not every footballer would have gone for that) it also came at a vital time too, it was just starting to get a bit desperate and I have to admit when Allen clipped the bar with that glaring opportunity I thought we'd blown it again. You could hear how agitated the crowd were as well so I bet Brendan's glad that we won that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:19 am

cardiff-red » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm wrote:Agree Red, i don't like him as a player and will be happy for him to leave, but credit where it is due, he won us the 3 points with his bravery today

So he earned his 120k pay check this week, well done lad.. shame about the 95% of time he doesn't.

Thanks for the 3 points but will still be glad to see his wages better spent.
killerp

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:15 am

Lifted from the Guardian

Liverpool’s Glen Johnson sees off Stoke and says he has no contract offer.

“It hurts a lot less when the ball hits the net, that’s for sure,” said the England international after his first Liverpool goal in almost two years.

“We fought hard from the beginning and I would have been very upset if we had only drawn the game. We have given ourselves a platform to build from now. We have just got to stay together as a squad, as we have been doing.”

Whether Johnson and Liverpool will be together much longer is doubtful. The right-back has attracted additional criticism this season over a contract stand-off with the club, with Liverpool prepared to offer an extension to a deal that expires next summer but on significantly reduced terms.

However, the 30-year-old, who is free to sign a pre-contract agreement with an overseas club in January and has been linked with Roma, denies there is a deal from FSG on the table. “First and foremost I want to play for a club that wants me,” said Johnson when asked about his future. “It is as simple as that. I have seen stuff in the press that I have been offered half the money I am on. That’s not true. I haven’t been offered anything. We are not speaking [about a contract] at the moment.

“I have enjoyed the majority of my six years here but if I haven’t got a contract, I can’t stay. It does play on your mind but that is when you have to be professional and do your best for the team.

Liverpool are in talks over a contract extension for Steven Gerrard, who was rested as Rodgers had indicated he would be on Saturday, the 16th anniversary of his debut for the club. But Johnson has no intention of approaching Liverpool’s manager in an attempt to resolve the impasse. “I’m not going to go crawling to anybody,” he added. “They know where I am and they know the situation. There were minor talks at the end of last season but they were minor talks. There was nothing that I could accept or reject, just minor talks.”
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:36 am

Think Johnsons done but I would assume that's the clubs call not Rodgers who seems to like him.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:08 am

The club probably look at it this way, Johnson is in his 30's and one of the few players left on a big contract (a hangover from an era when we regularly reached the latter stages of the CL) and the simple economics of the situation is that we now have players on our books like Manquillo, Flanagan and Wisdom that could do a similar (if not better) job for a fraction of the price.
When the owners first arrived and this money ball malarkey was being discussed ad infinitum I'm sure one of the tenets of the theory was that young players not only cost much less to buy but they don't expect the world in terms of wages either.
Infact when you consider that all the other big earners (bar Gerrard) were shown the door it's surprising that Glen has lasted this long.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:19 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 am wrote:The club probably look at it this way, Johnson is in his 30's and one of the few players left on a big contract (a hangover from an era when we regularly reached the latter stages of the CL) and the simple economics of the situation is that we now have players on our books like Manquillo, Flanagan and Wisdom that could do a similar (if not better) job for a fraction of the price.
When the owners first arrived and this money ball malarkey was being discussed ad infinitum I'm sure one of the tenets of the theory was that young players not only cost much less to buy but they don't expect the world in terms of wages either.
Infact when you consider that all the other big earners (bar Gerrard) were shown the door it's surprising that Glen has lasted this long.

Can we please have a Thanks or Like button installed on the forum ??
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:43 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:08 am wrote: they don't expect the world in terms of wages either.

They won't when they sign but as soon as one of them has a good season or attracts the interest of someone else then they will get it. Look at the stupidity of the club in the summer giving both sterling and sturridge silly deals on the back of one season.

Another thing is that johnson just turned 30 and they have been dallying over his contract since he was 29. Is that now the age limit we get rid of players at ? 30 isn't exactly over the hill now is it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:11 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:08 am wrote: they don't expect the world in terms of wages either.

They won't when they sign but as soon as one of them has a good season or attracts the interest of someone else then they will get it. Look at the stupidity of the club in the summer giving both sterling and sturridge silly deals on the back of one season.

Another thing is that johnson just turned 30 and they have been dallying over his contract since he was 29. Is that now the age limit we get rid of players at ? 30 isn't exactly over the hill now is it.

If Johnson was putting in the sort of performances that warranted his huge wage, then I dare say we'd give him a new contract on his terms. But, he hasn't.

In fact, for £17.5 million, Johnson has been poor, poor, poor. In fact,I'd put him up there with Keane and Aquilani, as Rafa's biggest flops.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion