Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby RedAnt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Some people like to flog the horse to death ya know? Others prefer just to say their bit and move on. Hopefully I'm one of the latter. The international break has helped clear my head of the depression our performances have brought. There are still many doubts and questions, but at this stage of the season there's not much point in banging on about wether or not Rodgers should be in the job. He IS in the job and each squad player has a squad number for the foreseeable.
Hopefully some of the gloom will have lifted for the players too. Sometimes a break is all that's needed to be free of tunnel vision and the cr*p that comes with it.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby devaney » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:26 pm

Careful Red - that was a very sensible well balanced post. You'll get banned for that sought of behaviour !!!  :laugh:  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 pm

RedAnt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 pm wrote:Some people like to flog the horse to death ya know? Others prefer just to say their bit and move on. Hopefully I'm one of the latter. The international break has helped clear my head of the depression our performances have brought. There are still many doubts and questions, but at this stage of the season there's not much point in banging on about wether or not Rodgers should be in the job. He IS in the job and each squad player has a squad number for the foreseeable.
Hopefully some of the gloom will have lifted for the players too. Sometimes a break is all that's needed to be free of tunnel vision and the cr*p that comes with it.

Give it a few more games mate and you will be just as depressed like the rest of us  :laugh:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby RedAnt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:07 pm

eds » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:54 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 pm wrote:Some people like to flog the horse to death ya know? Others prefer just to say their bit and move on. Hopefully I'm one of the latter. The international break has helped clear my head of the depression our performances have brought. There are still many doubts and questions, but at this stage of the season there's not much point in banging on about wether or not Rodgers should be in the job. He IS in the job and each squad player has a squad number for the foreseeable.

Give it a few more games mate and you will be just as depressed like the rest of us  :laugh:

Yeah, I know. I was trying to sound upbeat so avoided the mention of injuries :D
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:59 pm

[quote="ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:48 pm

I could understand it if we had dominated for the last 20 years and our fans weren't used to seeing us struggle but in truth last season was an oasis in a sea of mediocrity. We've spent the past half a decade finishing between 6th and 8th. People are glibly saying that we've wasted the Suarez money but to be fair a lot of the new signings have done okay - up until recently Lallana has probably been our best performer, Can has looked promising and Moreno and Manquillo haven't let anyone down either.
Some of our worst performers have been so called regulars like Henderson, Gerrard, Johnson and Enrique. It's not as simple as saying the new signings are letting us down because they are not.[/quote]

This is where I struggle to comprehend your view so badly though, its like you're saying, we've made loads of mistakes over the last 20 years, we've had loads of examples what to do and what not from within our own club and from others, yet you seem to use this as a jusification, for us repeating and then at times worsening mistakes we've seen and should have learnt from. I find it completely the opposite way. If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll always get the same results... so do something different, have a different approach, make sure its right. We don't do that, we seem to get half way, then in the most crystal clear manor available we shoot ourselves in the foot and go right back to the start... I can never get my head around it. People seem to be obbsessed with not learning from others mistakes, repeating them, then allowing it to just keep happening.

This is a multimillion pound industry, one of the biggestest in the world and there is no excuses for the kind of failiures we keep suffereing. The mistakes are so tedious and stupid its beyond belief, I've been slagged to death for this so many times in the past, but the fact is I keep seeing it and my assessments always seem to be bob on before it happens... I really wish they weren't even in the ball park, but the reality is they always seem to be... so my point is, if I can see and predict this most of the time, why on earth can't the people who should be seeing this doing something about it? It winds me up and it hurts because I care about my club. I could see the Mourinho thing last season coming a mile off... everyone else could to... but that was something I can forgive, I felt like I at least understood certain reasons and I also felt like that there was small justification for making such a mistake as Rodgers did... However, the way in which the summer then came about, the promises made, the statements passed, the players signed, the lack off major issues addressed and the damn right lies and attempts to pull the wool over the eyes really upset me... not to mention the fact it was clear as day to see how it was going to turn out.

You're then starting to try and attempt to jusifty the money spent and some of the examples used are madness. Manquillo looks to have potential, personally I like the look of the lad but can see, offensively he's so nervous its holding him back, but he has definately shown bits. But the reality is, while we all hate Johnson, he's never been upto he's not absolutely worlds apart. Its not like the lad has come in and you've gone... well thats Johnson out the door right now. Goodbye, he'll be a sllight improvement now and gradual one over the coming years, but he's not really come in and going to make a massive difference, which is what we needed.

You then praise Moreno, who was a £12,000,000 full back, who firstly we didn't need, and secondly is such a downgrade on the current full backs who played there its shocking. The lad has been woefully inept. Not only did he cost a lot of money, but he's weakened us, wasn't even needed and so far for me has been woeful. I think the lad is so far out of his depth its quite scary that Rodgers deems him anything other than squad fodder. You then critisize Jose's performances.... he's only made two after being out for a year with injury.... which again I find very strange.

When Rodgers came into the club, Gerrard was 31 going on 32... he should have had this lined up from that day, now at 34, he looks even less clued up on the situation... we're still based around the same core, with the same problems when he came in... yet now, we've spent mega amounts of money on dross and the wrong players.

The players he's signed don't even fit into his philosophy.

What I also find weird is not replacing our weakest links...Its a policy we've seemed to stick so strongly against though for many years which I always found really really strange. My attitude towards this seems to really confuse people as I believe in football, to improve your team, you sign players to replace your weakest players, not your strongest.

For example, if you had a really poor side filled with 10 league one players, but with Manuel Neuer in goal... Liverpool seem to think that if we sign Petr Cech as back up it will make us stronger.... completely negating the fact you can also only play 11 players at once... where as personally, I'd think it would make more common sense to sign Maybe a Messi or Ronaldo at the other end to improve an area of weakeness. Now, some of you may scratch your head and wonder what I'm on about... but thats often how thick some people come across.

I look around at times and wonder If I'm honestly the only person who actually thinks anything along these lines due to some of our signings and our fans "opinions".

It was a similar thing when the stupid waiter replaced Alonso, Xabi was our third/four best players... in the suad... and he wanted to replace him... which was baffling... as there was 20 odd other positions that needed addressing first... Last saason a poor rightback, shocking goalkeeper and shocking centre half pairing cost us the league.

He let go a good keeper keeping a flop, signed one centre half and let our best one go for buttons and signing a young kid who isn't ready to play right back. Not to mention failing to address the Gerrard situation.

The list of things done wrong since that Chelsea game has been absolutely flabbergasting to be honest and for me, badly unforgivable.

Its all a bit wrong for me.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:50 pm

You might want to check Agger's injury record and why he said himself he wasn't able to compete at this level. Take your rose tinted glasses off and dry your eyes, mate...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby parchpea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:04 pm

He has made mistakes in the market this season and its a real test of his ability to turn that around and get the side playing regardless.

So far he hasn't managed that and the question for FSG will he does he deserve another crack it next year, I would say yes, or not with
the trust gone in terms of his recruitment. We know they an be ruthless.

Don't think the jobs too big as he's handled himself very well, but we are still buying in the second tier because of wage restraints and
he has found it tough and made errors this summer.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 pm

parchpea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:04 pm wrote:He has made mistakes in the market this season and its a real test of his ability to turn that around and get the side playing regardless.

So far he hasn't managed that and the question for FSG will he does he deserve another crack it next year, I would say yes, or not with
the trust gone in terms of his recruitment. We know they an be ruthless.

Don't think the jobs too big as he's handled himself very well, but we are still buying in the second tier because of wage restraints and
he has found it tough and made errors this summer.

Wage restraints are no excuse what so ever as we pay more than a lot of sides in and around us.

Also, you don't always have to buy top tear players to improve, especially when some players in the side aren't even top four tier players.

The excuses haven't been acceptable in any way;
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:51 pm

Have massive doubts as to whether Rodgers can get turnaround this shambles
Doeboy

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:09 pm

He still keeps playing Gerrard as a DM. He still plays with a lone-striker. Jesus.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:35 pm

Roy Hodgson 2010/2011:
13W 8D 10L after spending 20 mill on new players.
Thats 1,52 points pr game.

B-Rod 2014/2015
4W 2D 6L after spending 200 mill on new players.
Thats 1,17 points pr game.

Bring back woy?
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:40 pm

Felt sorry for BR in the post match interview. Looked a broken man and after the highs of last season, this really is a massive come down. Hope he can turn things around but as long as we carry on conceding goals we do, I don't see it changing. Unfortunately defensive problems have been an ongoing issue under Rodgers and think he needs to put his ego aside and get someone in to help with that side of the game or it will ultimately be his undoing. Also just wonder if he is losing the dressing room or not because at the moment the players don't seem to be responding to him. Although the players themselves need a long hard look at themselves, would be a major issue if they have lost faith in BR
Doeboy

Postby eds » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:16 am

Doeboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 pm wrote:Felt sorry for BR in the post match interview. Looked a broken man and after the highs of last season, this really is a massive come down. Hope he can turn things around but as long as we carry on conceding goals we do, I don't see it changing. Unfortunately defensive problems have been an ongoing issue under Rodgers and think he needs to put his ego aside and get someone in to help with that side of the game or it will ultimately be his undoing. Also just wonder if he is losing the dressing room or not because at the moment the players don't seem to be responding to him. Although the players themselves need a long hard look at themselves, would be a major issue if they have lost faith in BR

Don't know how you can feel "sorry" for him when it's all his own doing.

If anything you should feel sorry for the real fans, the ones that will still be here long, long after he has been moved on.

Disgraceful is the way I would summarise where we are right now, absolutely disgraceful.

Most of us could see it coming from a mile off and yet here we are. A weak, spineless team full of over paid flops and has-beens!    :no

I won't be conned anymore and will say it "he is completely out of his depth at our club".

He has 3 games to turn this around; Stoke, Leicester and Sunderland, 9 points nothing less as we won't get any points against Manure or Arsenal.

Lose any of those games and he can hand in his resignation.

I have pretty much had enough of his s**t.  :veryangry
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 am

Klopp's name is flying around in the papers, but Dortmund are doing worse than us domestically. :rasp
Kopite-Jud

Postby Doeboy » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:51 am

eds » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:16 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:40 pm wrote:Felt sorry for BR in the post match interview. Looked a broken man and after the highs of last season, this really is a massive come down. Hope he can turn things around but as long as we carry on conceding goals we do, I don't see it changing. Unfortunately defensive problems have been an ongoing issue under Rodgers and think he needs to put his ego aside and get someone in to help with that side of the game or it will ultimately be his undoing. Also just wonder if he is losing the dressing room or not because at the moment the players don't seem to be responding to him. Although the players themselves need a long hard look at themselves, would be a major issue if they have lost faith in BR

Don't know how you can feel "sorry" for him when it's all his own doing.

If anything you should feel sorry for the real fans, the ones that will still be here long, long after he has been moved on.

Disgraceful is the way I would summarise where we are right now, absolutely disgraceful.

Most of us could see it coming from a mile off and yet here we are. A weak, spineless team full of over paid flops and has-beens!    :no

I won't be conned anymore and will say it "he is completely out of his depth at our club".

He has 3 games to turn this around; Stoke, Leicester and Sunderland, 9 points nothing less as we won't get any points against Manure or Arsenal.

Lose any of those games and he can hand in his resignation.

I have pretty much had enough of his s**t.  :veryangry

Understand where your coming from mate, but it really looked as though this loss has cut right through him and the first time I've seen him look so despondent. Pardon the pun, but there was a real air of resignation about him and he looked a broken man. Must be a massive shock to him to go from the highs of last season to the shower of Sh*t that is being served up this season. Probably the first time it looked as though he may be questioning himself and a few self doubts have creeped in and/or he is beginning to doubt whether the players are backing him.

Do agree with you that he doesn't help himself.  Really do think today could be a pivotal moment for him and it's good the loss looks to have really got to him as it may force him to try something else. He needs to get back to basics and make us hard to beat, even if that means if he has to forfeit his preferred tactics and team selection. If he sticks to what he is doing, I really do think it will be a matter of time before he gets his P45. Teams don't fear us now and are happy to get amongst us. In that situation we have to roll up our sleeves and make it a dogfight and make ourselves difficult to beat, even if it means putting aside our football philosophies to one side for now as the situation at the moment calls for it

Whether he can do that, I don't know, but he is at a critical stage of his LFC and this situation will tell us a lot about whether the job is too big for him or not
Doeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion