Is Gerrard a "Problem" ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:33 am

Steven Gerrard open to move from Liverpool if not offered new deal

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has revealed he could join another club if he is not offered a new contract.
The 34-year-old, who joined Liverpool's youth academy at the age of nine, ruled out the possibility of retirement when his current deal expires in May.
"I won't be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season," the midfielder told the Daily Mail.
"We will have to wait and see if that's at Liverpool or somewhere else. That's Liverpool's decision."
The former England captain, who announced his retirement from international football in July, has made almost 700 appearances for the Anfield club, playing with prolific strikers Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen.
But in a wide-ranging interview with the Mail, the midfielder says current Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge is "possibly the number one English striker I've played with".
On the subject of controversial new signing Mario Balotelli he says: "It's too early to get on Mario's back. I'm not going to judge him after 10 games. I've been impressed with the way he goes about his work. You hear all kinds of stories before you meet him but he does all the work. I like the guy."
Regarding Balotelli's predecessor, Luis Suarez, who joined Barcelona in July, Gerrard said it was a surprise the Uruguay international was not named in a 23-man shortlist for the Fifa 2014 world footballer of the year award.
"He scored 31 goals and was voted the best player in the hardest league in the world," he said. "So you tell me how he's not on the Ballon d'Or list. Incredible.
"He should be fighting Cristiano Ronaldo for it. That's a fact."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29845114
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:33 pm

he is out of contract in may  :eyebrow
must say im a bit shocked at reading that, always thought he'd be given some sort of a contract as long as he wanted it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm

I just think there is no better vehicle for securing a new  contract than the 'media' ,going public is an attempt to force the clubs hand,and we presently have far
greater problems than offering a 34 year old a fresh contract.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ballotelliman » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 pm

ive said  for a while the guy has got power behind the scenes. Funny how hes never been dropped till the league cup game.  do you really think if brendan kept dropping him he wouldnt kick-off todays statement proves that. Which top team in england would want him now maybe milan would in europe
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 pm

He won't go anywhere. Ill put my house on that
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:43 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:05 pm wrote:I just think there is no better vehicle for securing a new  contract than the 'media' ,going public is an attempt to force the clubs hand,and we presently have far
greater problems than offering a 34 year old a fresh contract.

Absolutely.
Still shocked that his contract of all contracts, is up in the air. I assume he would be free to talk to other clubs in January ?
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ballotelliman » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 am

But will he specify that he must get regular football before he signs a new deal cos it seems to me thats what he wants and has be getting his way under brendan.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:55 am

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:14 am

FFS ! "Cowardly" how ?

Common knowledge his contract will soon be up, what should he say when asked if he'll remain at Liverpool ? "No comment" ? , which no doubt would fuel speculation and provide the opportunity for some to make even more snide comments about the man.

Think the fella was asked a question and he answered it .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:34 am

I don't think its an issue at all, folks just misunderstand the comment. Stevie will get a new 12 month contract extension as he did last year.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:14 am wrote:

FFS ! "Cowardly" how ?

Common knowledge his contract will soon be up, what should he say when asked if he'll remain at Liverpool ? "No comment" ? , which no doubt would fuel speculation and provide the opportunity for some to make even more snide comments about the man.

Think the fella was asked a question and he answered it .

I think the issue was drawn to the attention of the media ,so in my mind given there are currently more vital issues that need resolving it could only be described as
spineless and somewhat ignoble ,I personally believe such issues should be resolved in house,and he should be determining his future by going directly to the managers
door and resolving the matter there and not disquietingly broadcasting it to the media ....Anyway like I said his audible cause for consternation has proven more than effective !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:47 am

We should keep Gerrard. If he leaves, he'll not go to Bolton, or Villa or something. He'd be lining up against us for City or the Chavs. Pellegrini or Maureen would use him well and we'd be gutted.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Doeboy » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:17 pm

Gerrard is definitely bit of a conundrum. His quality on the ball is still up there with the best in the league. Problem is his legs have gone and just cannot get about any more and it is causing a problem when you think of the way Rodgers sets out his team. If Rodgers insists on putting square peg's in round holes, he has to be flexible and change the way we setup and play. You can't expect Balotelli to play up top his own and press because that is not his game and has shown no evidence in the past he can. Same way, you can't expect Gerrard to press and have a high energy game because his body simply does not allow it any more. Rodgers needs to show more flexibility if he wants to accommodate these players other wise I do feel it will be his undoing eventually. Needs to get out of this square pegs into round holes mentality and adjust accordingly with the hand he has been dealt.

Suppose you can weigh it up and make arguments both ways that his positives outdo the negatives or vice versa. Personally, I think we definitely need to keep him but need to find a middle ground where we are more selective with the games he starts. I mean if he doesn't start and games are not going our way, he would be a fantastic option to come of the bench.
Doeboy

Postby RedAnt » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:48 pm

Square pegs in round holes seems to have been the way for a long while, not just BR. Heskey for left wing anyone? Dunno why we do it.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:46 pm

I have seen players like Lucas, Allen and Hendo step up whenever gerrard wasn't playing. Then when gerrard comes back into the team, they go back to "pass the ball to gerrard at all costs"....

Maybe its a win-win situation if Gerrard leaves the club. Don't get me wrong, he can still contribute massively to this team. The thing is we have a manager who seems to pander to gerrard (like he did with carra & Johnson) as keeps building the team around him.  And by playing him in a role which does him no favour (although I reckon gerrard himself wants to play that role).... It affects the team badly.

Something has to give. FSG are not gonna get rid of Rodgers. He is the type of manager they want (doesn't rock the boat, PR friendly to almost anyone who listens to his philosophies, a good coach {I think he is a good coach....it is the other coaches under him who are sub-par}...etc). So it might take some major balls-up by Rodgers to get the sack.

So the only way this works out is Gerrard leaves (hopefully to Italy where he would be pretty awesome). He deserves it.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion