Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:49 pm

Just a thought… why on earth didn't we go for Alex Song? He would have improved the midfield and he wouldn't have cost much due to it being a loan, bet we could have got him for about fifteen mil
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:58 pm

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:49 am wrote:Just a thought… why on earth didn't we go for Alex Song? He would have improved the midfield and he wouldn't have cost much due to it being a loan, bet we could have got him for about fifteen mil

The same reason why Sahin was pushed out....

The same reason why Lucas is being pushed out....

Because Gerrard plays in that role.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Sahin was out of his depth in this league and Lucas is simply rubbish. Song is a quality player who would have improved us
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Octsky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 am

Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 pm wrote:Just a thought… why on earth didn't we go for Alex Song? He would have improved the midfield and he wouldn't have cost much due to it being a loan, bet we could have got him for about fifteen mil

same reason why we signed diouf instead of anelka.
s.h.1.t happens.
i thou we played well vs hull, the def is good even simon managed to pull up some great saves.
but vs lower oppositions at home, we got to play 2 fwds like as lambs came in yst and we had more attacking intent.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:25 am

Octsky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:24 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:49 pm wrote:Just a thought… why on earth didn't we go for Alex Song? He would have improved the midfield and he wouldn't have cost much due to it being a loan, bet we could have got him for about fifteen mil

s.h.1.t happens.
i thou we played well vs hull, the def is good even simon managed to pull up some great saves.
but vs lower oppositions at home, we got to play 2 fwds like as lambs came in yst and we had more attacking intent.

Not only Song but Diame, he was a constant threat to us the whole game and also when he played against us for West Ham last season. I was so relieved when he was taken off.  He was available in the summer and hinted Liverpool to get him but Brendan was never interested.

I don't think we should solely put the blame on Brendan for his summer mediocre signings. Apparently he did enquire about Falcao, Cavanni and definitely Higuan but those guys told us to p#ss off because we're not big enough a club for them. Yes, we're in the CL but a 3rd tier CL side plus unlike Arsenal we haven't shown to the world that we can consistently qualify for the CL. So Brendan had no choice but to sign as usual youngsters with potential. He is also not the sort of manager who will spend 70M on a marquee signing even if the guy wanted to join us.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:59 am

Yet more rubbish spouted to do with finances and size of the club. One of the biggest clubs in the world lad, deal with it.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:18 am

Red Focus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 am wrote:

s.h.1.t happens.

Not only Song but Diame, he was a constant threat to us the whole game and also when he played against us for West Ham last season. I was so relieved when he was taken off.  He was available in the summer and hinted Liverpool to get him but Brendan was never interested.

I don't think we should solely put the blame on Brendan for his summer mediocre signings. Apparently he did enquire about Falcao, Cavanni and definitely Higuan but those guys told us to p#ss off because we're not big enough a club for them. Yes, we're in the CL but a 3rd tier CL side plus unlike Arsenal we haven't shown to the world that we can consistently qualify for the CL. So Brendan had no choice but to sign as usual youngsters with potential. He is also not the sort of manager who will spend 70M on a marquee signing even if the guy wanted to join us.

I don't think it's a question of us not being big enough, we are a huge club with a worldwide following most clubs could only dream about, imo it's more a question of us not being consistent or stable enough.
Over the last 5 or so years we've been all over the shop, we've nearly went under, we've had 2 sets of owners and 4 different managers, we appointed one DoF and sacked him within a year then appointed another (Pep Segura) and then told him we didn't want one, we've seen public slanging matches between managers, owners and executives, we've had the indignity of the banks appointing our chairman, a court case to see who friggin' owns the club and lots and lots of other crisises of varying degrees.
On the pitch it has been just as erratic, we've qualified for the CL just once and domestically it's been a similar roller coaster ride with us going from mid table obscurity to just missing out on the title and now back again.
You mention Arsenal, they haven't won an awful lot in recent times but at least when someone signs for them they generally know what they are going to get, they know who the manager will be and as Arsenal have qualified for the CL for the last 17 years on the bounce they know there's a good chance they'll be playing in the CL as well.
We need to get our house in order on and off the field to attract the biggest names IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:26 am

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:59 am wrote:Yet more rubbish spouted to do with finances and size of the club. One of the biggest clubs in the world lad, deal with it.

Only based on legacy.

Our position against our peers in terms of how much money we make is poor. According to the last Deloitte Football Money League we were 12th. The Money league is based solely on club financial reports (all of which are audited to IFRS standards).

When you consider that revenue is directly related to success, i.e. league finish money, CL participation money, TV related revenue for CL, additional sponsorships that come with success.

In those terms, in no way are we one of the biggest teams in the world.

Whilst I agree in terms of history, legacy, fan support we are the biggest. The aspect that matters is the ability to both pay and attract big players, which is impossible without success. We have to build and achieve success before we consistently attract big players.

--------

1 Real Madrid
2 Barcelona
3 Bayern Munich
4 Manchester United
5 Paris Saint-Germain
6 Manchester City
7 Chelsea
8 Arsenal
9 Juventus
10 AC Milan
11 Borussia Dortmund
12 Liverpool
13 Schalke 04
14 Tottenham Hotspur
15 Internazionale
16 Galatasaray
17 Hamburger SV
18 Fenerbahçe
19 AS Roma
20 Atlético de Madrid
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:49 am

12th is poor? Have you seen some of the teams around us and some of the sides immediately above? 12th in the world in anything is impressive. Do you realise how many football clubs are in England? You're telling me (based on financial terms) we are the 12th biggest club IN THE WORLD and we can't attract better players than Some of the inept dross we have because of that?

I think that's a shocking comment to be honest.

If Rodgers can't attract the right quality with champions league football he's in the wrong job. There are players through out the league playing for teams nowhere near that list who would improve us immensely. Tim biggest transfer budget in Liverpool's history has been spunked up the wall and anyone with an ounce of sense could see it unfolding as it was doing.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:52 am

Red Focus » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:25 am wrote:

s.h.1.t happens.

And Sanchez...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:13 am

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:49 am wrote:12th is poor? Have you seen some of the teams around us and some of the sides immediately above? 12th in the world in anything is impressive. Do you realise how many football clubs are in England? You're telling me (based on financial terms) we are the 12th biggest club IN THE WORLD and we can't attract better players than Some of the inept dross we have because of that?

If Rodgers can't attract the right quality with champions league football he's in the wrong job. There are players through out the league playing for teams nowhere near that list who would improve us immensely. Tim biggest transfer budget in Liverpool's history has been spunked up the wall and anyone with an ounce of sense could see it unfolding as it was doing.
your opinion on the post is irrelevant.

Look at the teams below us. Aside from inter, there's no side I'm proud to be in front of.

Also when you consider the number of quality players available in any transfer window and you consider that any number of those 20 teams will either be interested or actively pursuing the same player. Suddenly being 12th in the pecking order doesn't really do us any favours does it.

You want the marquee signings like Cavani, Suarez, etc. but the reality is as soon as one of the "bigger" clubs, with more financial power and more established networks and relationships, enters the pursuit for a player we want - we are in a battle we will be hard to win.

Our failed transfer pursuits are a sign of that. Sure you'll predictably point at the transfer committee or the manager. They're responsible but only to a limited sense. All those teams above look to beat us not only on the pitch but also off the pitch with transfer battles.

There's no overnight solution. Your simplification of the situation is so naive.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:25 am

12th is poor? Have you seen some of the teams around us and some of the sides immediately above? 12th in the world in anything is impressive. Do you realise how many football clubs are in England? You're telling me (based on financial terms) we are the 12th biggest club IN THE WORLD and we can't attract better players than Some of the inept dross we have because of that?

Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:25 am

SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:13 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:49 am wrote:12th is poor? Have you seen some of the teams around us and some of the sides immediately above? 12th in the world in anything is impressive. Do you realise how many football clubs are in England? You're telling me (based on financial terms) we are the 12th biggest club IN THE WORLD and we can't attract better players than Some of the inept dross we have because of that?

your opinion on the post is irrelevant.

Look at the teams below us. Aside from inter, there's no side I'm proud to be in front of.

Also when you consider the number of quality players available in any transfer window and you consider that any number of those 20 teams will either be interested or actively pursuing the same player. Suddenly being 12th in the pecking order doesn't really do us any favours does it.

You want the marquee signings like Cavani, Suarez, etc. but the reality is as soon as one of the "bigger" clubs, with more financial power and more established networks and relationships, enters the pursuit for a player we want - we are in a battle we will be hard to win.

Our failed transfer pursuits are a sign of that. Sure you'll predictably point at the transfer committee or the manager. They're responsible but only to a limited sense. All those teams above look to beat us not only on the pitch but also off the pitch with transfer battles.

There's no overnight solution. Your simplification of the situation is so naive.

Yep, well summed up, that's the long and the short of it, money talks these days and that's why clubs who have been bang average for a hundred years like Chelsea and City suddenly become footballing superpowers with the stroke of a pen.
As you say when ever a big name player comes onto the market there are essentially 11 clubs ahead of us in the queue.
We are big enough a club in terms of history, fan base, profile etc to get onto that top table but it's going to be a long hard road.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 am

So you believe there aren't players moving to and from lesser clubs that are better than what we currently have? You don't believe it's possible, despite us paying more wages than the likes of arsenal or Dortmund it's not possible for us to compete? You also believe the likes of begovic aren't realistic targets?

Sorry but you're talking rubbish. The likes of Barry moving on a free transfer and we aren't even interested? What a joke, even if he's only brought in as a squad player he's still better than what's on the bench which enables you to sell other players to free up wages and funds.

MANAGEMENT is about exactly that, 116m spunked up the wall on rubbish, gloss it up anyway you like
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:43 am

Stu the Red » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:34 am wrote:So you believe there aren't players moving to and from lesser clubs that are better than what we currently have? You don't believe it's possible, despite us paying more wages than the likes of arsenal or Dortmund it's not possible for us to compete? You also believe the likes of begovic aren't realistic targets?

Sorry but you're talking rubbish. The likes of Barry moving on a free transfer and we aren't even interested? What a joke, even if he's only brought in as a squad player he's still better than what's on the bench which enables you to sell other players to free up wages and funds.

MANAGEMENT is about exactly that, 116m spunked up the wall on rubbish, gloss it up anyway you like

Well let's agree to disagree.

I don't absolve the management of responsibility, I just realistically accept there are forces at work, market dynamics if you will, that outmanoeuvre us in transfer activities.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion