Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tonyeh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 pm

...We Did great last year with the same GK

Liverpool let in 50 goals last year. The only reason they were second in the league is because they (thanks largely to Dr. Teeth) managed to score more than the oppo.

That's no way to manage a team or make a serious go for the title.

Now, I like Brendan and I like his words. But, as I said at the beginning of his tennure, if his words don't translate onto the pitch, then they remain just fancy words.

There's a serious malaise at the back and it simply hasn't been addressed since he's got here.

Even when Danny boy gets back, that malaise will continue.
tonyeh

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm

From Guardian online 24/10

Brendan Rodgers says "We don't need a defensive coach"
“There is no chance of us bringing in a defensive coach,” Rodgers said. “We have conceded a large number of soft goals, there’s no argument about that, but I think it is just a lack of coaching time that is hurting us. We need to reinforce basic principles at defensive set pieces, but we know that already. We have to get better and we will be working on it.

“When I first came in I was asked whether I would bring someone in to help the strikers score goals. I didn’t, and we got goals anyway. I think what we have this year is more games to carry, which takes a slight intensity out of us. We are in the big competitions now and there is an added expectancy on us, which there should be. We are Liverpool. When you concede the goals that we have been conceding there will always be questions asked of you. We need to answer those questions and I believe we can. In terms of bringing someone else in, we don’t need it.”

:glare:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:36 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:35 pm wrote:From Guardian online 24/10

Brendan Rodgers says "We don't need a defensive coach"
“There is no chance of us bringing in a defensive coach,” Rodgers said. “We have conceded a large number of soft goals, there’s no argument about that, but I think it is just a lack of coaching time that is hurting us. We need to reinforce basic principles at defensive set pieces, but we know that already. We have to get better and we will be working on it.

“When I first came in I was asked whether I would bring someone in to help the strikers score goals. I didn’t, and we got goals anyway. I think what we have this year is more games to carry, which takes a slight intensity out of us. We are in the big competitions now and there is an added expectancy on us, which there should be. We are Liverpool. When you concede the goals that we have been conceding there will always be questions asked of you. We need to answer those questions and I believe we can. In terms of bringing someone else in, we don’t need it.”

:glare:

he blames it on lack of coaching time in between games  :laugh: then he says we have more games to carry  :laugh:
is the man that stupid that he didnt realise what qualifying for the CL entails.
honestly the only money he should be given in january is the proceed's from borini if he has the balls to put him out this time, not a single penny would i give him outside that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Absolute joke.

He's blaming a lack of coaching time this season so what on earth is his excuse for last season?

What I find laughable is I stated this last year that you need better quality than we currently have to make up for the lack of time on the training ground. This is exactly why you need better quality players as without the time training all week players like Henderson can't be expected to be at 100 percent. You need to be able to win games at 80 percent when in the champions league, Liverpool at the moment aren't good enough to do that, under Brendan they never will be
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I was disappointed reading that article because I think we'd really benefit from having a defensive coach.

I think individually the defenders and keeper vary from decent to good players, and although none are top class, there is enough talent there to be moulded into an effective defensive unit.  Our current coaching staff haven't managed that in over two seasons and after spending a lot of money on it.

We do lack a leader at the back.  Rodgers thought Lovren was the man.  I don't.  He's struggling enough with his own form to have to worry about other people.  Maybe if he settles he could develop into that player, he's young for a CB, but I have my doubts and in the short term at least we still have a real problem.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:23 pm

They already have ""clicked" JC this is the real Liverpool without Luis Suarez. We may improve a little bit when Danny returns but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished seventh, where we finished in Brendans first season, average manager equals average times
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:23 pm wrote:They already have ""clicked" JC this is the real Liverpool without Luis Suarez. We may improve a little bit when Danny returns but I wouldn't be shocked if we finished seventh, where we finished in Brendans first season, average manager equals average times

Most certainly starting to come around to your way of thinking on this, what really hurts is the massive amount of money he has had to spend and the dross that has been brought in
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 pm

If Danny comes back and gets going and the manager realises Mario isn't a natural forward but more of a target man and plays Sterling in his best position we may be able to scrape fourth…

Would seventh too fourth in three years really be the "improvement" we wwere hoping for… granted it would mean two years qualification for Europe but that would then mean no more messing about, he would have get every transfer bang on from then. Something I personally wouldn't trust him to do
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby shakey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:03 pm

Yep agree with Stu, all future transfers have got to be spot on...& can't say hand on heart I could trust BR with the money :(
shakey

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Two hundred million quid and in three years we've gone from seventh to hoping we can scrape fourth place…

Is that good enough?
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Dundreamin is back » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:13 pm

Rodgers said in the Echo that we are on course. Course for what? Relegation or just a mediocre season. I am fed up to the back teeth reading from the manager and players in the media that LFC are going to do this and that. The only player to speak with any honesty is Gerrard. Actions speak louder than words. And while I forget Souness who am not a fan of actually spoke the truth about Balotelli.
Dundreamin is back
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Scottbot » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:20 pm

Have gone and done a bloody Tottenham haven't we. Utterly depressing start to the season. With zero sign of it getting any better. We've played well in just two games all season. Can't defend for toffee, have had 85 corners already this season without scoring from one of them and were stuck with a famous statue who despite a fairly decent goal record at his previous clubs is completely useless. I thought the manager was excellent last season, had us playing the best football I have seen at the club since Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge were ripping it up but my faith is somewhat shaken right now. He has spent a ton of money on defenders but were no closer to being able to defend and our attacking play has been gambled on a player in Sturridge who gets injured for at least games every season throughout his whole career.

Should have played Sterling up top today in a false 9 with the likes of Lallana, Coutinho and Henderson in and around him.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I gave rafa lots of grief....but I would have him back here at a instance. Even the king (whom I think would have won the league last season if he was still managing us).

This looks to be a disappointing season for us if Rodgers continues with his :
1)Playing gerrard for 90 mins
2)Picking gerrard for all the important games
3)Picking gerrard as a DM
4)Not protecting the defence
5)Playing balotelli as a lone striker
6)Not protecting Sterling (no other player with pace) and Henderson (to babysit gerrard).

I don't think even if Sturridge comes back, we will play better. There is something wrong with the team dynamics this season.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

shakey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 am wrote:Yep agree with Stu, all future transfers have got to be spot on...& can't say hand on heart I could trust BR with the money :(

We need a director of football. We can't let Rodgers (who hasn't won anything in his time here or his ex-clubs) dictate if he is gonna work under a DOF.

The transfers (especially all the summer ones under Rodgers) have been horrendous to say the least. Lots of $$$ wasted on average players who we send on  loan and then sign the exact replica to replace them....  :Oo:
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Let's face it we all knew last year that we were an average side being propped up by a world class strike force, our midfield has been on a steady decline since the likes of Alonso and Mascherano packed their bags and it's been a similar story with our defence. We conceded 50 goals in the league last year, our worst defensive record since 1914.
What set us apart was our exceptional strike force, we had the two top scorers in the league leading the line for us, unfortunately because Danny has picked up not one but two injuries it has meant that we have lost our entire attack from last season. It's bad enough losing Suarez but we have basically lost Sturridge as well.
Now Mario and Ricky are decent players but decent players just aren't enough to carry the rest of the side I'm afraid.
We essentially have the same midfield that was getting out played by average teams last year except it's even worse this year because Gerrard is a year older. Gerrard is lucky that such a young manager is in charge because someone like Rafa or Houllier would have him down as a bit part player at this stage of his career.
It's not all doom and gloom though because we still have a lot of Luis's and Danny's excellent supporting cast (Coutinho and Raheem) and when Danny comes back I'm sure those 3 will cause teams problems, add Lallana and Mario to the mix and I think we'll be okay going forward.
The defence and midfield though are a concern.
Gerrard is at the heart of our midfield and I don't think he's good enough to be the lynchpin of a top side anymore and I'm not convinced the CB's at the club are good enough either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion