How should we line up next season ? Best starting 11 ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 pm

Gerrard broke into the team as a RB so he has played their before. Obviously at 34 he's going to have to pick and choose his moments when to commit forward but once he's up there he's as good as anyone in the country at crossing the ball.
He's probably the best RB currently at the club anyway
Plus playing him at fullback allows us to get legs into the midfield which would improve us no end.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:05 pm

An ageing Gerrard that under BR's current philosophy commited to a role that possibly requires more legs than any other position on the field ?

Fuc'ks sake Yakka, what are you on ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 pm wrote:An ageing Gerrard that under BR's current philosophy commited to a role that possibly requires more legs than any other position on the field ?

Fuc'ks sake Yakka, what are you on ?

As long as we don't play the diamond (where our fullbacks become wing backs) he could easily play in that position. As I say he can pick and choose his moments when to venture forward.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:52 pm

I get that Yakka, but you seem to be suggesting that  BR changes his philosophy and formation solely to accommodate Gerrard in a position that given BR's tactics he's no longer able to effectively fulfill.

Personally I'm happy with Stevie G's role as a deep lying playmaker, provided he has players with awareness and "legs" around him to cover the odd "slip up " (  :D  ) I don't see the need to change Stevie's role.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:05 pm

woof woof ! » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:52 pm wrote:I get that Yakka, but you seem to be suggesting that  BR changes his philosophy and formation solely to accommodate Gerrard in a position that given BR's tactics he's no longer able to effectively fulfill.

Personally I'm happy with Stevie G's role as a deep lying playmaker, provided he has players with awareness and "legs" around him to cover the odd "slip up " (  :D  ) I don't see the need to change Stevie's role.

The problem with having Gerrard in the deep playmaker role is that he often needs more than 1 player to do his running, against City for instance Rodgers played both Hendo and Allen.
That's just a waste IMO, that's too many water carriers, Hendo and Can sitting infront of the back 4 could do the same job and we'd be able to play someone like Coutinho as the extra man to support the front 3.
I don't think Gerrard is good enough anymore to warrant chopping and changing our side to fit him in.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:16 pm

id put hendo at R.B before gerrard.

reina
                          hendo                     skrtel         lovren         moreno

gerrard                 can
                              sterling                 coutinho                 markovic

sturridge

right side would be solid but the left would be dependant on how good the 2 boys really are. the other option there would be enrique and lallana when back which could be the stronger combo.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm

I'd put Flani Alvez rightback before any midfielder!

Glen Johnson's had his time.
Kopite-Jud

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:21 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:05 pm wrote:The problem with having Gerrard in the deep playmaker role is that he often needs more than 1 player to do his running, against City for instance Rodgers played both Hendo and Allen.
That's just a waste IMO, that's too many water carriers, Hendo and Can sitting infront of the back 4 could do the same job and we'd be able to play someone like Coutinho as the extra man to support the front 3.
I don't think Gerrard is good enough anymore to warrant chopping and changing our side to fit him in.

That's fair enough, but you finish with
I don't think Gerrard is good enough anymore to warrant chopping and changing our side to fit him in

And yet you advocate moving Gerrard to RB , isn't that chopping and changing ?

I'd rather see Flanno or the much maligned Johnson at RB. I get the feeling Gerrard will retain his current role but will be used more sparingly.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:32 am

But if we played Gerrard at RB we wouldn't be chopping and changing the side to try to shoe horn him in, he'd be in there on merit.
Johnson's game has deteriorated alarmingly and Flanno's a steady Eddie but he's also the most passed fullback in the division. I think Gerrard would make a better RB than those 2.
Don't forget Gerrard broke into the side as a RB and before he made the move to CM he was being spoken about as the best RB in the country.
It won't happen like because I think Rodgers wouldn't want to upset Gerrard by moving him out of the middle. We are on the verge of offering Gerrard a new £150,000 a week contract and Brendan has spoken about him playing the holding role until he is near 40 so he's deffo in Rodgers long term plans as a CM.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Playing Gerrard as RB is a bad idea. Regardless the formation (diamond or something else), it's not going to work with Rodgers' philosophy. The fact that he can cross the ball is a bad argument, we rarely cross the ball like that from deep. The key attribute that a fullback in our team has to have is a lot of energy and strong legs to get up and down the field throughout the entire game, help the midfield and attack when we're moving forward and track back when we're defending. Of course a young Gerrard had no problem doing this, in fact, a young Gerrard had no problem doing anything, he could literally play everywhere on the pitch, but that time is gone now.

IMO, the best position for Gerrard is his current position (although I agree with you yakka about our midfield problem, I think you're disregarding Stevie's contribution a bit too easily), or we could try to play him as a CB, or as a sweeper to be more precise. His job would be to distribute the ball forward from a deep position and won't be required to track back because he'll already be there. His job would require him to block shots and clear the ball out rather than to ineffectively chase players through the midfield. He basically already does that anyways.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:15 pm

Our best eleven:

Mig no let

Manquillo
Lovren
All bad
Enrique

Gerrard
Allen
Henderson

Sterling
Coutinho
Sturridge

The only player I may swap would be Allen for Lallana. That to me is an absolutely disgraceful on 116m.

It's shockingly bad. The lack of improvement we experienced in spending that amount is amazingly bad. Even looking at our bench it looks woeful.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:37 pm

Change Enrique for Moreno and Gerrard for Can and id agree

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:52 pm

And you think that would be a good return for 116m? Playing a lad who's completely out of his depth and one who, on his only start against a woeful team didn't get a kick? ???
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:03 pm

Did not say that once did I?

Im saying what our current strongest 11 is.

Bring in Valdes on a free and a top striker im talking Benzema or Tevez

Ship out Borini,Balotelli,Lucas,Johnson  and we will have a better and stronger squad

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

I don't quite know what you're saying hence the question marks… you're very good at avoiding issues and not answering direct questions yet seem to try and reel people into a debate which you have no intent on participating in by airing your own views, you call people out for questioning the manager then sit on the fence with regards to your opinions on the money spent…

All a bit weird really
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion