Alan Hansen

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:29 am

When Hansen retired, I assume he wasn't interested in management. I loved his analysis on MotD. Is he interested in coaching/managing? Is he a plausible consideration for a role at the club?

This is an open topic. Just used Hansen as the title. Steve Clarke has been mentioned.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:37 am

Phil Thompson is a superb defensive coach
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:46 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:37 am wrote:Phil Thompson is a superb defensive coach

Gerrard speaks quite highly of him in his autobiography. A real hard case too. He'd not allow any passengers.
RedAnt

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:09 am

Gerrard had a massive feud with Thommo didnt he?

Never understood why Hansen has never gone into coaching his knowledge is fanastic and being an Ex liverpool player he will tell the likes of Glenn Johnson what it takes to be a succesful liverpool defender

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 am

And it will work because he is boss  :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:20 am

Cant get much worse

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:09 am wrote:Gerrard had a massive feud with Thommo didnt he?

Never understood why Hansen has never gone into coaching his knowledge is fanastic and being an Ex liverpool player he will tell the likes of Glenn Johnson what it takes to be a succesful liverpool defender

It wasn't a massive feud, but there was one, something to do with one of Gerrards mates. Fowler and Thommo didn't get on though.
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 am

Thompson is regarded as one of the best defensive coaches in England
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm

Don't want Thompson, he's a likeable fella and a club legend but when he was a coach under Souness and Houllier the footy we served up was dire.
I think we almost need to go back to basics, we need to re-discover that style of football we were playing when Brendan first arrived, for some reason that pressing game we used to have has gone right out of the window, we hardly use it these days but we saw how effective a press can be in the first twenty minutes last night. Madrid are arguably the best team on the face of the planet but even they struggled to get their game going when we played with a high tempo and lots of intensity.
We seem to have drifted away from the core principles of Brendan's philosophy, we don't press, our short passing game has been replaced by speculative long balls and we don't keep the ball for long periods either (which used to be key to tiring the opposition out).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

I believe Hansen's decision not to go into coaching/management was based on the trauma he felt from the hillsborough disaster, i saw a really long interview with him a couple of years back where he went into great detail about his feelings on the subject

Time heals all wounds so maybe now he would have a change of heart, i mean lets face it, if Thompson and Hansen can't fix our atrocious defence then nobody can

And quite frankly (all other thoughts aside) if Gerrard dosn't like it he can feel free to jog on, he's not exactly setting the place on fire atm and can't live on his past glories forever

Something needs to happen and very soon, Rodgers attacking philosophy when it works is awesome to watch but this season all his tactics are wreckless and we are a joke to watch at times
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm wrote:Don't want Thompson, he's a likeable fella and a club legend but when he was a coach under Souness and Houllier the footy we served up was dire.
I think we almost need to go back to basics, we need to re-discover that style of football we were playing when Brendan first arrived, for some reason that pressing game we used to have has gone right out of the window, we hardly use it these days but we saw how effective a press can be in the first twenty minutes last night. Madrid are arguably the best team on the face of the planet but even they struggled to get their game going when we played with a high tempo and lots of intensity.
We seem to have drifted away from the core principles of Brendan's philosophy, we don't press, our short passing game has been replaced by speculative long balls and we don't keep the ball for long periods either (which used to be key to tiring the opposition out).

Pressing a team like Madrid is absolute suicide as we found out last night, all lesser teams go to better sides and try to keep shape for a reason. A pressing game relies on eleven players being of the required standard and fitness. Even then if you're playing against players good enough they will just pick you off.

Every one of those Madrid lads can receive the ball with men around them, we have very few if any with that level of quality
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:00 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:10 pm wrote:Don't want Thompson, he's a likeable fella and a club legend but when he was a coach under Souness and Houllier the footy we served up was dire.

Pressing a team like Madrid is absolute suicide as we found out last night, all lesser teams go to better sides and try to keep shape for a reason. A pressing game relies on eleven players being of the required standard and fitness. Even then if you're playing against players good enough they will just pick you off.

Every one of those Madrid lads can receive the ball with men around them, we have very few if any with that level of quality

How is it suicide? We were actually doing well when we were pressing them, it was when we backed off that they ripped us to shreds. I do agree with you about one thing though, we aren't fit enough as a team to be high intensity pressing side, 20 minutes pressing for professional athlete's is pitiful.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:41 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:Don't want Thompson, he's a likeable fella and a club legend but when he was a coach under Souness and Houllier the footy we served up was dire.

The pressing game only suffered because both Can and Allen were injured.  (Lucas and Gerrard are not mobile enough to do it)
I imagine they aren't quite back to full fitness yet which might explain the drop off last night.  Still though, 20 minutes is quite pathetic. 
With our form, the confidence probably took a major blow when Ronaldo scored. 

The passing game as well, confidence must be having an issue.  One minute you are blowing teams away and the next minute your star strikers are gone and you can't score in a brottle... even a 5 metre pass becomes difficult when the confidence is low.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:02 pm

We seem to have forgotten how to defend, how to pass and how to score goals. That's the three main parts of the game! For the first time in my life I switched the game off. Their second and third goals were all too easy. I sensed no resistance, no aggression. I honestly expected to see a result of six or seven nil by the way we were going.
The cliche "there are no easy games" is usually true. Prem vs league one or two games in the cup prove this. But then we disproved it last night. Too much is wrong. I'm very depressed about it all. I can see no way of fixing all of our issues this season, or next. I don't envy BR. It will take a strong mind with huge discipline and focus to organise it all. BR shouldn't be afraid to delegate. He should bring someone in to help him. DoF, defensive coach, joint manager, shrink, anything/something. Even a great performance in our next match wouldn't inspire confidence that it would be anything other than a one off. It couldn't do any harm to bring in one of our 'legends'. Heck, bring in Fowler to work with the strikers. Maybe he could humble Balotelli.
If we plod on like this, I'm afraid it will be too late. It's a good thing we didn't sign anyone on huge wages. We'd be truly f*cked next year with no CL football. That really could be the beginning of the end. I'm dreading the Real return match.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:12 pm

jacdaniel » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:41 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm wrote:Don't want Thompson, he's a likeable fella and a club legend but when he was a coach under Souness and Houllier the footy we served up was dire.

The pressing game only suffered because both Can and Allen were injured.  (Lucas and Gerrard are not mobile enough to do it)
I imagine they aren't quite back to full fitness yet which might explain the drop off last night.  Still though, 20 minutes is quite pathetic. 
With our form, the confidence probably took a major blow when Ronaldo scored. 

The passing game as well, confidence must be having an issue.  One minute you are blowing teams away and the next minute your star strikers are gone and you can't score in a brottle... even a 5 metre pass becomes difficult when the confidence is low.

I agree with you about confidence mate, when you look at a player playing with and without confidence it's sometimes hard to believe it is the same player, such is the difference confidence makes.
Confidence is undoubtably a factor but I still can't believe how 'un-Rodgers like' our playing style is, when Brendan first arrived results were poor but performances generally weren't, our play had a structure to it and we seemed to be working off a blueprint, we pressed high up the pitch, we knocked the ball about and we retained possession for long periods, I don't think we currently do any of those things.
We need to go back to building pressure on the opposition by starving them of possession and making them work hard to get the ball back, we need to shorten our passes too, ATM we are constantly giving the ball away through a combination of Hollywood passes and hoofs upfield.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion