What 3 changes would you make to LFC?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Focus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:25 am

Exactly, if he was aggressive enough to spend big he would have got better players. He spent a total of about 200M on 10 men who didn't cost more than 25M each and now we the squad depth but not the quality. To win the PL, you need both.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Red Focus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:31 am

Also the 8 million quid guy last night was an exception rather than the norm. I challenge any top club manager to get a player of his quality for 8 million. There are rare undervalued quality players eg Suarez in January 2011 cost about 23M but as we all know at that time he was worth at least more than AC at 35M. But unfortunately these are the exceptions.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:53 am

So his job is to find the exceptions.… sick of you wanting us to buy success lad it's not what people from our neck of the woods do, you earn it and once you earn and save you buy nice things.

We had enough of a budget to sign class and we blew it, I personally don't care how much players cost if they are good enough, all you ever go on about is money. Begovic would have gone for fifteen is he poor as well? Barry went on a free too, he's better than what we have in midfield. Would have been a good stop gap and squad player. There are loads of good players moving for twenty mil or less and I am fed up of none of them coming our way.

Stop banging on about budget and money, we had more than enough and it grates on my nerves
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 am

Also you bang on about twenty five million pound players… but Costa and Fabregas didn't cost much more than that each. As I said to many times, it's the way it's spent not how much you spend.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:47 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 am wrote:So his job is to find the exceptions.… sick of you wanting us to buy success lad it's not what people from our neck of the woods do, you earn it and once you earn and save you buy nice things.

We had enough of a budget to sign class and we blew it, I personally don't care how much players cost if they are good enough, all you ever go on about is money. Begovic would have gone for fifteen is he poor as well? Barry went on a free too, he's better than what we have in midfield. Would have been a good stop gap and squad player. There are loads of good players moving for twenty mil or less and I am fed up of none of them coming our way.

Stop banging on about budget and money, we had more than enough and it grates on my nerves

I agree with what you say Stu but I do think you over simplify things with you point of view. It is easy to say that we spent more than Chelsea or arsenal for example in the last window or mention the money spent but we are competing with teams that were already much stronger than us. Fabracash, Costa and even their keeper would have been a great help to our squad but we still would have been miles behind,  to them however, those players were merely a cherry on top or the icing on the cake. The teams we are competing against already have much better players and that cannot be denied. Our baseline was much lower than thiers and to compete we will still have to spend a further 400 million just to catch up. For Maureen to come in now and top of his already impressive squad and claim his specialness (backed up by the press) is sickening to me as it is about the players not the manager. The difference in managers only works as a tie breaker.

We got f.ucked by Suarez leaving and it was always going to be tough to replace him so quickly and frankly I think it was the owners that made the decision to sell not Rodgers. I think that had we bought those same players and kept Suarez the team would be doing much better. What I learned from yesterday is that we are miles behind a team that has a squad value of more than a billion euros and annoyingly we made them look better after the first goal when we stopped pressing and turned into a defensive shambles. They are still far better than us as they bought far more expensive players. You can pull out exceptions like Coutinho but those are rare. Every team has bought players that were over valued and did not perform but the difference is that those teams were so strong already that they could afford mistakes, we cannot.

I will say however that the squad is young and will improve. I think also we need to sell Mario ASAP as he is killing the team spirit we had. I am not blaming him for our woes, but he will never be the answer with his lack of a team spirit.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:53 am wrote:So his job is to find the exceptions.… sick of you wanting us to buy success lad it's not what people from our neck of the woods do, you earn it and once you earn and save you buy nice things.

Agreed! I've been banging over our poor scouting capabilities and our ability to close deals for years now. We are doing a very poor job in getting real talents here and it's not all about budget limitation (As this year demonstrates).
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:09 am

only me » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 am wrote:

Agreed! I've been banging over our poor scouting capabilities and our ability to close deals for years now. We are doing a very poor job in getting real talents here and it's not all about budget limitation (As this year demonstrates).

For me it's clear the manager can't attract or keep top class players. If the manager can't sell this club with champions league football then he shouldn't be in the job, this clubs standing in the game, despite slight damage over the last few years is still right up there, we are still known as a top ten side in Europe and still should have massive pull in the market. I don't buy into the fact players don't want to come here, some may need convincing but surely that's the job of the manager and I can bet once they are convinced they will wax lyrical about the place, nearly every foreign player who plays for us or even the blue ***** stays in Liverpool after they retire or family stays or even they keep a house.

Also to say you can't keep a player who wants to leave is rubbish, Schneiderlin at Southampton is doing OK despite wanting to go on strike…
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:19 am

I wouldn't mind if we showed some public intent on signing class in the transfer window.

Try and sign a big name striker or someone like Reus/Shaqiri/Tevez

It's no secret that Reus is in the last 12 months of his contract and will probably go for about 20 mil in the summer.  Why not offer 35 million? why not at least ask the question? show public intent, get people buzzing instead of trying to get these 'nobody's' and leaving may of us scratching our heads thinking huh? who's he ? trying to turn them into world beaters.

I said it since the middle of the transfer window when we started to look like we were never going to sign anyone class. Agreed 100% with Stu the Red.

We wont have 120 million to spend again and its all been j!zzed up the wall!!! Even Carragher said last night we've signed stop gap players instead of signing 2/3 people who would walk straight into the starting 11.  Strenghten the starting 11 before you add depth!

The only class player we were linked with was Alexis Sanchez and that was part of a swap deal!!

I was crying out for a big name that never came. Now we're up sh!t creek with Balotelli. Playing 45 mins with no striker is unheard of at Anfield and for me is unacceptable. Where was Borini and Lambert? at least they'll fuc*king run!
Kopite-Jud

Postby only me » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 am wrote:
only me » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:55 am wrote:

For me it's clear the manager can't attract or keep top class players. If the manager can't sell this club with champions league football then he shouldn't be in the job, this clubs standing in the game, despite slight damage over the last few years is still right up there, we are still known as a top ten side in Europe and still should have massive pull in the market. I don't buy into the fact players don't want to come here, some may need convincing but surely that's the job of the manager and I can bet once they are convinced they will wax lyrical about the place, nearly every foreign player who plays for us or even the blue ***** stays in Liverpool after they retire or family stays or even they keep a house.

Also to say you can't keep a player who wants to leave is rubbish, Schneiderlin at Southampton is doing OK despite wanting to go on strike…

Fact is that we are unable under multiple manager to bring talent consistently....It's true BR is the first to get a fat juicy moneybox to use and now it looks pretty terrible. What irritates me the most is that nothing is surprising. We just had to sign a top notch striker yet we failed ,We had to get a top notch DM and we failed...Tactics will take you just so far but quality is a must.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:22 am

In reply to Kazza, or laza, cant remember which one…  :D

I am not over simplifying it mate. They of course had a better base line, of that I am more than understanding, but we won't improve our baseline by signing players who don't improve our best eleven. That's something we fail to do every window.

Signing average players like Moreno and players who aren't priorities like Lallana is not the way forward. Signing quality is the way forward. When we lost Luis it was always going to hurt, but had we signed a top quality keeper and some real quality in midfield and defence, then it would have been easier to accept. Instead we haven't improved use weak areas at all, the players that cost us the league last year are still regulars, our thirty five year old captain still plays every minute, and we are that bad at the minute some people actually think Allen and Henderson are the long term answers to our midfield problems, we saw last night the gap …
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:26 am

Stu when Luis suarez left who should we have signed ?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:27 am

Jud,

I always believed in improving the first eleven before the squad. If have a class first eleven they can carry the odd reserve player in games were players are injured. Then, once you have a quality first eleven you add players who are better again and you improve your squad and end up with class players on the bench. You can't do it the other way round
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 am wrote:Jud,

I always believed in improving the first eleven before the squad. If have a class first eleven they can carry the odd reserve player in games were players are injured. Then, once you have a quality first eleven you add players who are better again and you improve your squad and end up with class players on the bench. You can't do it the other way round

Agreed 100% percent

Every player we signed i asked myself who is he going to replace in the starting 11 ? With the exception of Moreno and Balotelli :Oo:  We have not bought anyone who strengthened the 1st  11. (and Balotelli hasn't strengthened it just knew we needed another striker).

Think the U21's would do better?  why not give a u21 stiker a shot?

Brendan has had 7 transfer windows (i think)  and over £200,000,000 and all we've got to show for it is Coutinho and Sturridge.

Maybe im being critical but the lack of big name intent was alarming. Buy 2/3 CLASS. Or even a player abroad who had a good goal scoring record. Then add strength in January/Summer.

And dont get me started on the defence..........  :veryangry

We knew Suarez was off before the window opened and did absolutely nothing about it until mid August.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:50 am

Moreno is an average player though mate, he was badly out of his depth last night. We cant let Agger, Reina and Suarez go as well as replace Enrique with inferior players and expect us to improve.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 am

Kopite-Jud » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:27 am wrote:Jud,

Maybe im being critical but the lack of big name intent was alarming. Buy 2/3 CLASS. Or even a player abroad who had a good goal scoring record. Then add strength in January/Summer.

And dont get me started on the defence..........  :veryangry

We knew Suarez was off before the window opened and did absolutely nothing about it until mid August.

Oh you mean like Aspas ?

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion