What 3 changes would you make to LFC?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:55 am

Hey Yakka.  BR has bought 10 mid price players since he's been with the club and none apart from notable exceptions like Sturrridge have borne fruit.  Cloughie was in a different era, by definition the gap between standards must have been closer otherwise you couldn't make the transformation. Larry Lloyd ffs!

We have a cupboard full of Joe Allens who are taking us nowhere but costing us a fortune in overheads. I stated when BR came in that I'd give him 3 years before judging and of course it all worked out fine last season, but our inability to play as a team this season, never mind well, is staggering. Who else is there to blame, he's a one man show and he bought the players in, he trains them and plays them. In fact... no less control than yer man Rafa had!  (Maybe BR doesn't have 5,000 videos....)
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 am

Good post reg, I also wanted to give Rodgers three years… we're into that third year and I don't see the massive improvement expected
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am

1)  Try to remind fans that losing both members of one of the best strike partnerships we've ever had is going to have an impact on our play and take some time to adapt to.

2)  Try to attract more sponsorship deals so we can compete with the elite in terms of wages / fees. 

3)  Get Rodgers to focus on the defensive aspect of our play.  He worked with Jose and I fail to believe he has no idea how to put together a decent defence.  He just sacrifices it for attack.  And that is currently suffering as per point 1.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am wrote:1)  Try to remind fans that losing both members of one of the best strike partnerships we've ever had is going to have an impact on our play and take some time to adapt to.

2)  Try to attract more sponsorship deals so we can compete with the elite in terms of wages / fees. 

3)  Get Rodgers to focus on the defensive aspect of our play.  He worked with Jose and I fail to believe he has no idea how to put together a decent defence.  He just sacrifices it for attack.  And that is currently suffering as per point 1.

We didn't sign Remy for none footballing reasons, we knew Sturridge was injury prone anyway… he's spent seventeen million on players like Borini an Aspas and his only other strikers who are target men who do not fit our system… who rs to blame for that? Because it certainly isn't me…
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am wrote:
jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:31 am wrote:1)  Try to remind fans that losing both members of one of the best strike partnerships we've ever had is going to have an impact on our play and take some time to adapt to.

We didn't sign Remy for none footballing reasons, we knew Sturridge was injury prone anyway… he's spent seventeen million on players like Borini an Aspas and his only other strikers who are target men who do not fit our system… who rs to blame for that? Because it certainly isn't me…

Its certainly not an ideal situation but I don't understand the full facts behind it all.
I believe we pulled out of the Remy deal as there was question marks over his health. 
Lambert was signed as an option off the bench to possibly change games and was probably worth a 4m gamble. 
Borini was due to be sold and its not clear why that didn't materialize.  I've seen rumours suggesting that he wanted big wages and I've also seen rumours suggesting he wouldn't leave as he wanted to stay and fight. 

Remy not working out and Borini not leaving may have ruined our plans a bit. 

Sturridge, Insert good stiker, Balotelli, Lambert is not a terrible front 4. 
I just feel like we missed out on the good striker.  Possibly due to Borini, Remy and maybe other issues we don't know about. 

Hopefully something we can sort in Jan though.  Maybe Ronaldo will be interested after we ***** Madrid tonight  :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:42 pm

jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:38 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 am wrote:

Its certainly not an ideal situation but I don't understand the full facts behind it all.
I believe we pulled out of the Remy deal as there was question marks over his health. 
Lambert was signed as an option off the bench to possibly change games and was probably worth a 4m gamble. 
Borini was due to be sold and its not clear why that didn't materialize.  I've seen rumours suggesting that he wanted big wages and I've also seen rumours suggesting he wouldn't leave as he wanted to stay and fight. 

Remy not working out and Borini not leaving may have ruined our plans a bit. 

Sturridge, Insert good stiker, Balotelli, Lambert is not a terrible front 4. 
I just feel like we missed out on the good striker.  Possibly due to Borini, Remy and maybe other issues we don't know about. 

Hopefully something we can sort in Jan though.  Maybe Ronaldo will be interested after we ***** Madrid tonight  :D

The clubs position was that Remy failed the medical. Remy got injured last night, in a rare start for Chelsea.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 pm

And everyone else knows th Remy deal fell through due to rumoured drug taking (rumour I may (add) and also because they thought him to be not needed as we had the wonderful borini who should have been told he is rubbish and is being sold instead of encouraged to stay and been given any ounce of game time
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Reg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am wrote:Hey Yakka.  BR has bought 10 mid price players since he's been with the club and none apart from notable exceptions like Sturrridge have borne fruit.  Cloughie was in a different era, by definition the gap between standards must have been closer otherwise you couldn't make the transformation. Larry Lloyd ffs!

We have a cupboard full of Joe Allens who are taking us nowhere but costing us a fortune in overheads. I stated when BR came in that I'd give him 3 years before judging and of course it all worked out fine last season, but our inability to play as a team this season, never mind well, is staggering. Who else is there to blame, he's a one man show and he bought the players in, he trains them and plays them. In fact... no less control than yer man Rafa had!  (Maybe BR doesn't have 5,000 videos....)

Less than five years ago Reg we nearly went out existence, now as it stands we are just 4 points off 2nd and playing Real Madrid in the CL! What's more with the fixtures we have got coming up between now and Christmas it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could find ourselves top again come the turn of the year.
So at least let's wait until the season is actually a total write off before sticking the boot in, despite our sketchy form we are actually in a decent position.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm wrote:
Reg » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am wrote:Hey Yakka.  BR has bought 10 mid price players since he's been with the club and none apart from notable exceptions like Sturrridge have borne fruit.  Cloughie was in a different era, by definition the gap between standards must have been closer otherwise you couldn't make the transformation. Larry Lloyd ffs!

Less than five years ago Reg we nearly went out existence, now as it stands we are just 4 points off 2nd and playing Real Madrid in the CL! What's more with the fixtures we have got coming up between now and Christmas it's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could find ourselves top again come the turn of the year.
So at least let's wait until the season is actually a total write off before sticking the boot in, despite our sketchy form we are actually in a decent position.

Yak some of us don't need months to see it's not working. Some of us would rather us do something about it in progress or do something about it before hand based on a more than educated guess.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 am

jacdaniel » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 pm wrote:1)  Try to remind fans that losing both members of one of the best strike partnerships we've ever had is going to have an impact on our play and take some time to adapt to..

Yes of course we have lost our hardest working and most skillful player in 6 years, but he took that $ and spent it on 6-7 mid priced players none of whom have grabbed any of us by the throat and shouted they're the future of LFC. I'm worried we still have a squad of Danny Murphys.  Van Gaal and  Maurice have bought impact players. Our impact player, Mr Balotelli hasn't decided whether he can be arsed yet.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:04 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:36 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm wrote:

Yak some of us don't need months to see it's not working. Some of us would rather us do something about it in progress or do something about it before hand based on a more than educated guess.

Not often I agree with you Stu because normally you talk a load of *****, however you seem on track with this one.  :rasp

The money's been spent so we can trace the value and benefit quite easily.
How he is using those players can also be monitored. In/out of position, are they suited to his tactics, are his tactics making sense etc..
But also to stand back and say 'Ok, that's our chosen course, however how would Pep, or Van Gaal done it?' Did we go the right route in the first place?

Its a crying shame there isn't a company of football management consultants of well qualified, mature, senior ex-players and managers who could go into clubs and provide professional support for both the board and manager.

Imagine 3x directors of football kind of people sitting together with the board and BR setting objectives for 1-3-5 years, creating a gameplan then vetting a purchase strategy and pulling the trigger on players who aren't performing. That's what we need. Seems just BR + Ayre aren't sufficiently wise or maybe adventurous enough to take 100 million quid and achieve the desired outcome.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:35 am

Is Dr.Steve Peters still working with the players on a part time basis? Haven't read much about him lately.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Reg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am

He's working overtime with Balotelli I imagine.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:08 am

Reg » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am wrote:He's working overtime with Balotelli I imagine.

Welcome back Reg, we haven't seen you posting in this forum for some time.

Ya, Peters needs to spend more time with the maverick Balotelli.

From what we've seen in Brendan's transfers dealings, he is a low budget manager in the sense that the amount he spent on each player was never more than 25M. So he ended up spending about 200M on loads of mediocre players and now having a mediocre team that was explicitly exposed in the last 2 games. He came from Watford, Reading and Swansea where he was not used to  marquee signings. Look at LVG, he spent heavily on Di Maria and Falcao which made their fans excited. Somehow I feel that the cheap signings of Sturridge and Coutinho in Jan 2013 gave him the wrong impression that good players can come cheap. Little did he know that those 2 were the exceptions rather than the norm.

Last year Brendan had the SAS to outscore the opponents which was epitomised by the 5-3 at Stoke, though we conceded 3 goals, the SAS still bailed him out. Now without SAS, the defence have been losing games for us. With due respect to what he achieved last season, I am reserving my judgement on him and Balotelli until after a match fit Sturridge returns to play on a weekly basis. If we're still playing like the qpr game, he must be sacked.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:15 am

Stop going on about budget it's doing my wick in and sounds ridiculous, our only player last night who didn't look out of his depth cost eight million quid, budget has nothing to do with anything. The problem lies with the quality of players signed.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion