Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedAnt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:20 am

woof woof ! » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:11 am wrote:From Mail online quoting Spanish paper AS.

Brendan Rodgers: I want to manage in Spain one day... I already speak Spanish with Liverpool players!

Brendan Rodgers admitted that his ambition is to manage a club in Spain as the Liverpool boss revealed that he is already learning more Spanish.

Rodgers said in a stunning interview with Spanish newspaper AS that he wants to stay in charge at Anfield for the next 20 years but has already started preparing for a move abroad one day.

The 41-year-old Northern Irishman admitted that he tries to communicate with Liverpool's Spanish players - Jose Enrique, Alberto Moreno, Suso and Javi Manquillo - in their native language, rather than English.

Asked by AS where he sees himself in five years' time Rodgers said: 'I don’t know, I hope one day to work in Spain.

'I’ve studied Spanish, but I need to improve. I’ll probably improve when I work in the country one day. For most people, when they travel to a country their language becomes better.

'I speak to the Spanish players that we have in Spanish.'

Rodgers is gaining a reputation as one of the game's brightest young bosses but faces the biggest test of his managerial career so far when his Liverpool side host Real Madrid at Anfield in the Champions League on Wednesday night.

The Reds struggled to contain a QPR side featuring the likes of Bobby Zamora and Leroy Fer during Sunday's scrappy 3-2 victory at Loftus Road, but now he must find a way to stop the European champions with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, James Rodriguez and Karim Benzema in their ranks. Gareth Bale looks set to miss out through injury.

Rodgers, however, is relishing the challenge and views Liverpool's struggles to replicate last-season's stunning form as merely a blip in what he hopes will be a long stay at Anfield.

But he is also mapping out a career beyond the Barclays Premier League and already seems to have his heart set on a move to Spain - possibly to his opposition this week or their great rivals at Barcelona.

'I’m only 41 which is very young and there are lots of things I want to achieve here at Liverpool,' he said. 'It's an incredible club and I hope to be managing here for another 20-odd years.

'One day hopefully it can take me to Spain and I can experience a wonderful country, culture and as I said, some wonderful football club.'

Says he wants to be at LFC for 20 years but at the same time can't help commenting that one day he hopes to manage a "wonderful" club in Spain  :no    :glare:

Well he'll get the chance to manage in Spain against Real. I'd not be suprise if we turned it on for this game. RGB said in another thread that it may be the game for Balo to shine. That'd not surprise me either.  But to echo others, BR seems to have no clue how to build a defence. As I've said elsewhere, the defence must start with a solid GK who inspires confidence enough so that the defence dosen't need to pack the box whenever we're against the wall. I find it bewildering that BR never brought in a tutor/challenger for Mingolets position. Our defence looks panic stricken. I'd employ a defensive coach ASAP and tell him to get cracking for January. The best we can do is tread water and hope we're still an appealing proposition come the transfer window. If it's clear that BR can't take us further forwards, I see no point in loyalty to him. We're far too nice and politically correct.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:07 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am wrote:A lot of people will be eating humble pie before the season is out IMO.
We are currently lying 5th (on the same points as the 4th placed team) and we are only 3 points from 3rd place and 4 points from 2nd, what's more our next 7 fixtures (which take us up to the Christmas period) are -

Hull (h)
Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
Stoke (h)
Leicester (a)
Sunderland (h)

As bad as we are playing we have a good opportunity to rack some points up there, Sturridge will probably be back for the Chelsea game and the likes of Coutinho and Sterling seem to be coming back into form so we will improve. The last 20 minutes against QPR we looked like we did last season.
People seem to think we are the only ones struggling, 3 of United's next 4 games are against Chelsea, City and Arsenal, they are under pressure to get some serious points on the board as their run in at the end of the season is just as bad, in fact it couldn't be much worse, they had an easy start and they blew it, Arsenal themselves have near enough equalled their worst start under Wenger and Everton are leaking goals at a worse rate than even us!
We will not continue to play as bad as this all season, a lot of our woes are down to players just being right out of form but that won't continue forever, if we are right in the mix playing as shyte as this imagine what we can do if we hit form.
Playing this bad and still being on level points with the team in 4th is actually a good sign. We are scrambling points where in the past we would have just crumbled.
Whisper it quietly but that is actually a sign of champions.

Good post lad.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:07 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:56 am wrote:A lot of people will be eating humble pie before the season is out IMO.
We are currently lying 5th (on the same points as the 4th placed team) and we are only 3 points from 3rd place and 4 points from 2nd, what's more our next 7 fixtures (which take us up to the Christmas period) are -

Hull (h)
Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
Crystal Palace (a)
Stoke (h)
Leicester (a)
Sunderland (h)

As bad as we are playing we have a good opportunity to rack some points up there, Sturridge will probably be back for the Chelsea game and the likes of Coutinho and Sterling seem to be coming back into form so we will improve. The last 20 minutes against QPR we looked like we did last season.
People seem to think we are the only ones struggling, 3 of United's next 4 games are against Chelsea, City and Arsenal, they are under pressure to get some serious points on the board as their run in at the end of the season is just as bad, in fact it couldn't be much worse, they had an easy start and they blew it, Arsenal themselves have near enough equalled their worst start under Wenger and Everton are leaking goals at a worse rate than even us!
We will not continue to play as bad as this all season, a lot of our woes are down to players just being right out of form but that won't continue forever, if we are right in the mix playing as shyte as this imagine what we can do if we hit form.
Playing this bad and still being on level points with the team in 4th is actually a good sign. We are scrambling points where in the past we would have just crumbled.
Whisper it quietly but that is actually a sign of champions.

Good post lad.

Some posters need a serious reality check mate, look at what's happened to us over the past 5 years, not only have we been through 4 managers, 2 sets of owners, a court case over who owns the club, the trauma of sacking one of the greatest figures in our history and a plethora of mid table finishes but we also had the banks appoint a Chelsea supporting chairman and we had to watch from behind the sofa as the likes of Hicks, Purslow, Gilette, Broughton, Parry, Moores and Rafa washed the clubs dirty linnen through the medium of public spats on sky sports news.
That's even without mentioning the Suarez/Evra thing which made the evening news over in the states and saw the prime ministers of Britain and Uruguay at loggerheads with each other!
People are whinging because some of the most exciting young players in Europe haven't hit the ground running yet but at the same time forgetting that only 3 or 4 years ago the height of our ambition in the transfer market was the likes of a past it Joe Cole, Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulsen.
People need to stop a minute and actually take stock of where we are and where we've come from, in case they need reminding we just missed out on the title last season by a hairs breath and despite playing poorly we are right in the mix again with a great run of fixtures ahead of us we have an ideal opportunity to make even more headway in the title race again, and in case they've forgotten tonight we welcome Real Madrid to Anfield - yes, we are playing the European champions at home in the CL.
We all know that we have got one or two issues at the moment but for ffs let's keep it in perspective, 5 years ago I bet most of us doubted we'd see these heady times again so let's enjoy them instead of whinging like spoilt brats, we have come a hell of a long way in 5 years and the people at the club deserve huge amounts of credit for getting us this far without the quick fix of petro dollars, they just don't deserve the amount of withering criticism they are currently getting from some quarters IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 am

The problem is I think some people need to realise that some of us don't look for excuses. We are sick to death, of seeing the same stuid mistakes time and time again.  I personally am not bothered by mistakes of past managers and am sick of people using that excuse for the failings of the current regime. I was more than willing to give Rodgers time when he first arrived, but after a couple of years you can always tell what direction the club is going.

Rodgers can take little credit on where we finished last season. It doesn't take a genius to see what Luis strengths and play to them and funnily enough that's pretty much all he's had to contend with. He deserves credit for giving younger players a chance but unfortunately it stops there. Last season was no great achievement, it was a complete balls up of a chance based on some ridiculous circumstances and one genius of a player who made our team look far better than we were.

The problems in midfield and defence have completely failed to be addressed this summer despite us spending a huge amount, and the less said about Simon concede two goals every time I play Mig no let is beyond belief.

Coming onto the money spent it's been frittered away on players who will not improve the starting eleven. Johnson, Mig no let and skrtej cost us the title last year with stupid mistakes a fifteen year old wouldn't make and yet still, quite unbelievabley  find themselves as first team regulars. Adam Lallana was a player I liked and wanted but the money spent on him was so far over his value it's untrue. The lad will be a good deputy for Coutinho or Henderson but he's no wide player, at best He's a good  addition but he's never going to set the world alight and certainly isn't a jump in quality in what we already have.

I could bang on about the transfers but your optimism is such that the truth doesn't matter and the money wasted doesn't also. I had no time for Rafa but at least he, Kenny and Houllier all had signings of the highest quality who would get into any side. They all had around 40 percent success rates with transfers. Rodgers doesn't. His best three signings are Coutinho, Sturridge and Joe Allen who is another who was massively over priced.

His failure to address our weaknesses this summer was the final straw for me,  I could have forgiven blowing the title through naivety last season, some people show ignorance through naivety  when under pressure, it's about learning from the mistakes and knowing what you done wrong. He hasn't clearly.

Not to mention he spent the summer banging on about about improving the first team. Yet the only signing I would include in my preferred eleven is lovren and he hasn't set the world alight either. Thinks it's an absolute disgrace if I'm honest, the word shambles is to kind, it's not far of being as much of a farce on how certain members are still posting and the Oscar Pistorius trial
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:13 am wrote:Rodgers can take little credit on where we finished last season.

It's funny though because throughout last season you were giving Rodgers credit, "Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season" is a sentiment you expressed on more than one occasion.

Now the loss of Suarez and Sturridge (the loss of Sturridge has been little mentioned but has had a deep effect on our ability to be effective up front) has deeply affected our season. Rodger's is your scapegoat to the point where you, like all fickle fans, completely forget the support and praise you offered him when things were going well.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:13 am wrote:The problem is I think some people need to realise that some of us don't look for excuses. We are sick to death, of seeing the same stuid mistakes time and time again.  I personally am not bothered by mistakes of past managers and am sick of people using that excuse for the failings of the current regime. I was more than willing to give Rodgers time when he first arrived, but after a couple of years you can always tell what direction the club is going.

Rodgers can take little credit on where we finished last season. It doesn't take a genius to see what Luis strengths and play to them and funnily enough that's pretty much all he's had to contend with. He deserves credit for giving younger players a chance but unfortunately it stops there. Last season was no great achievement, it was a complete balls up of a chance based on some ridiculous circumstances and one genius of a player who made our team look far better than we were.

The problems in midfield and defence have completely failed to be addressed this summer despite us spending a huge amount, and the less said about Simon concede two goals every time I play Mig no let is beyond belief.

Coming onto the money spent it's been frittered away on players who will not improve the starting eleven. Johnson, Mig no let and skrtej cost us the title last year with stupid mistakes a fifteen year old wouldn't make and yet still, quite unbelievabley  find themselves as first team regulars. Adam Lallana was a player I liked and wanted but the money spent on him was so far over his value it's untrue. The lad will be a good deputy for Coutinho or Henderson but he's no wide player, at best He's a good  addition but he's never going to set the world alight and certainly isn't a jump in quality in what we already have.

I could bang on about the transfers but your optimism is such that the truth doesn't matter and the money wasted doesn't also. I had no time for Rafa but at least he, Kenny and Houllier all had signings of the highest quality who would get into any side. They all had around 40 percent success rates with transfers. Rodgers doesn't. His best three signings are Coutinho, Sturridge and Joe Allen who is another who was massively over priced.

His failure to address our weaknesses this summer was the final straw for me,  I could have forgiven blowing the title through naivety last season, some people show ignorance through naivety  when under pressure, it's about learning from the mistakes and knowing what you done wrong. He hasn't clearly.

Not to mention he spent the summer banging on about about improving the first team. Yet the only signing I would include in my preferred eleven is lovren and he hasn't set the world alight either. Thinks it's an absolute disgrace if I'm honest, the word shambles is to kind, it's not far of being as much of a farce on how certain members are still posting and the Oscar Pistorius trial

Suarez missed quite a few games last season and our record in those games was quite good. Rodgers also had the balls to tell Suarez that unless he apologised to the team for letting them down he would continue to train on his own something that Kenny failed to do and probably apart of that gave Rodgers alot of respect from Suarez which made him play his socks off.

You talk about rodgers not addressing our weakness but we conceded alot of goals last season so went and got 3 new defenders.

Rodgers has done very very well for this football club  and it is hard to win the league on the budget he is given and before you starting talking about figures what he has apparantly wasted its nowhere near the amount that Chelsea or Citeh can just blow

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:34 am

Stu the Red - BR took us to within a few points of our FIRST premier league title last season. You'll no doubt claim it was Suarez blah blah blah but I'm sorry, if BR is accountable everytime it goes belly up then he's equally accountable when it comes good too! what is it with you? your like a spoilt kid!

It's as plain as day that BR is the best manager we've had at this club for a long time and I'm not surprised you can't see that, blinkered vision.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:13 am wrote:Rodgers can take little credit on where we finished last season.

It's funny though because throughout last season you were giving Rodgers credit, "Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season" is a sentiment you expressed on more than one occasion. In fact according to you he was manager of the year, talk about u-turn :D

Now the loss of Suarez and Sturridge (the loss of Sturridge has been little mentioned but has had a deep effect on our ability to be effective up front) has deeply affected our season. Rodger's is your scapegoat to the point where you, like all fickle fans, completely forget the support and praise you offered him when things were going well.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 am wrote:

It's funny though because throughout last season you were giving Rodgers credit, "Rodgers has done a superb job so far this season" is a sentiment you expressed on more than one occasion.

D
The praise afforded to him at times was deserved due to the lack of tinkering and the fact he left Luis to it. However, with hindsight, which is a good thing, it's easy to see his mistakes, to then go and make a mistake as glaringly obvious as he did with the Chelsea game it brought everything into perspective. It was naive and poor judgement under pressure.

As for suggesting I'm fickle well, with all due respect, you don't know me what so ever. I supported Rodgers and backed him,  however I don't believe in supporting a lost cause, he's had five windows and over two hundred million. I was expecting more than selling our three best players, and signing player after player who don't get a game. Not only did he sell our three best players, he's panic bought, over paid and spent fifty odd million on complete and utter dross.... not mentioning spending millions on players who simply won't get near the first team. Also he hasn't signed anyone of any genuine class since he arrived… the list goes on
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am

3 best players ?

Obviously I agree with Suarez but Agger and Reina really one was constantly injured and ended up at Brondby not Barca Bayern or Real and the Reina even Napoli didnt want to fork out for him and was dropped for them last season

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 am

LFC1990 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:48 am wrote:3 best players ?

Obviously I agree with Suarez but Agger and Reina really one was constantly injured and ended up at Brondby not Barca Bayern or Real and the Reina even Napoli didnt want to fork out for him and was dropped for them last season

very well put  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 am wrote:

D
The praise afforded to him at times was deserved due to the lack of tinkering and the fact he left Luis to it. However, with hindsight, which is a good thing, it's easy to see his mistakes, to then go and make a mistake as glaringly obvious as he did with the Chelsea game it brought everything into perspective. It was naive and poor judgement under pressure.

As for suggesting I'm fickle well, with all due respect, you don't know me what so ever. I supported Rodgers and backed him,  however I don't believe in supporting a lost cause, he's had five windows and over two hundred million. I was expecting more than selling our three best players, and signing player after player who don't get a game. Not only did he sell our three best players, he's panic bought, over paid and spent fifty odd million on complete and utter dross.... not mentioning spending millions on players who simply won't get near the first team. Also he hasn't signed anyone of any genuine class since he arrived… the list goes on

Ah hindsight.

You think if we finish top 4 this season and recover from our poor start that you'll use hindsight as the excuse for your recent rants again?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am

LFC1990 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:48 am wrote:3 best players ?

Not going to work, I ain't going to respond to you anymore as You're

1. A piece of Sh*t
2. Clueless
3. A liar (claiming to be a football coach was quality) :D
4. A complete weirdo who tries to talk to strangers about sex
5. absolutely not worth replying to
Last edited by Stu the Red on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:55 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:53 am wrote:

1. A piece of Sh*t
2. Clueless
3. A liar (claiming to be a football was quality) :D

Please read the Thread derailment page dont want you getting time off again do we

LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 am

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:53 am wrote:

1. A piece of Sh*t
2. Clueless
3. A liar (claiming to be a football coach was quality) :D
4. A complete weirdo who tries to talk to strangers about sex
5. absolutely not worth replying to

it's ok to disagree with someone's opinions but why flame them? no need for personal attacks :no
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion