Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:06 am

And you are very much part of a mob mentality that can't see the obvious truth. As I said, you deal with a problem at route cause rather than react last minute. You remind me very much of these people who used to rate Carragher over Ferdinand and think the sun shines out of every Liverpool players backside
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am

Our transfer policy is not a shambles.  Our fans expectations are a shambles though. 
Henderson was a flop until he settled at the club and became our vice captain. 
Allen was a flop until he shook of his shoulder injury and found some form. 
Can is a flop because... he's 20 years old and didn't destroy QPR in the his first PL appearance. 
Sterling was useless this time last year... and is now a one of our best players. 

The reality is that our transfer policy is not perfect, but its not half as bad as some would have you believe. 
We don't have oil money, so we have to take more lower value risks in the market.  Thats life. 

But... Southamptons players don't need time to settle do they?  Well, its a lot easier to settle at a club with no expectations than one of the biggest clubs in the world were you are in the headlines almost everyday.  Comparing our players to players at small clubs is not a valid argument. 

In that case you argue that Hodgson and Moyes are actually pretty talented managers!   :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:27 am

Don't even use money as an excuse, he's spent over 200m since he's been here. Jordan and Sterling were not the current managers signings. The way he's used the money is an absolute disgrace. Not one top class player has been signed in three years, we've signed ***** poor players for extortionate sums and the obvious flops and mistakes haven't been replaced.

We have also massively over paid for players while being decent like lallana and allen were no real improvement on what we already had
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:39 am

Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:27 am wrote:Don't even use money as an excuse, he's spent over 200m since he's been here. Jordan and Sterling were not the current managers signings. The way he's used the money is an absolute disgrace. Not one top class player has been signed in three years, we've signed ***** poor players for extortionate sums and the obvious flops and mistakes haven't been replaced.

We have also massively over paid for players while being decent like lallana and allen were no real improvement on what we already had

You seem to want us to sign the very best players, which i guess is understandable as a liverpool fan.  I'd like us to as well. 
Unfortunately the very best players no longer want to play in England.
Over the last few years the league has lost Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Alonso, Modric, Mascherano, Robben and Fabregas to name a few.
Not to mention the players that have no desire to come here in the first place.
The English clubs are miles behind the likes of Madrid, Barca and Bayern. 
The competitive nature of this league actually puts players off coming as they can't be guaranteed CL football.

The better players that have come here are the likes of Di Maria who was having issues with his club and chose United due to the huge fee and wages they can offer.

200M is a lot of money but wages are a huge part of football and we are nowhere near being able to pay the salaries that United, Chelsea and City can offer. 
We are trying to get to the top by paying lower fees / wages for potential.  Whether it works out or not remains to be seen.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 am

Of course I want us to sign Messi but I would rather we keep our good players in the first place. I also don't expect us to be unrealistic.

I do expect us to compete for players like Costa, Sanchez an Fabregas, if we can't them manager has to go as if he can't convince quality to sign he's in the wrong job. Liverpool sells itself, to those it doesn't then the manager needs to earn his living.

You again mention money, Suarez was on 250 a week lad, Steven picks up 150, wages wise we offer a far better package than all with the exception we city and Chelsea and we can certainly compete with united. My biggest grip is not the signing of lesser names. It's signing rubbish instead of class and players who do not improve the side. Begovic Is still playing for stoke at a time we've been absolutely crying out for a keeper for two years. Why? No moves were made for players like Tevez or players who would actually improve the side. The likes of borini were originally signed, but not only that are still here and appearing, remy was passed up on for absolute buttons in favour… it's embarrassing to be honest and people need sacking over it. I am sick of excuses
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:59 am

We did compete for Sanchez. He essentially turned us down because his missus wanted to live in London. No other reason. Arsenal are in no other way more attractive than us. They don't pay big wages and they've won sod all apart from the FA Cup in 9 years. As poor as we've been so far I wouldn't be surprised if we finished above them again this season.

I agree that the money we've spent could have been used a lot better though. Rodgers isn't the only one to be fair. All of our managers in recent years have spunked millions of pounds on mediocrity.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am

Agreed he's not the only one, but he is the only one who continuously does it without any of it ending up on the pitch or signing anyone of any real class. He's had his chance.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:25 pm

i wouldnt be in favour of him getting any more money to sign more players to sort this mess out. he just keeps making the same mistakes with transfers and he will do it again.
not one our managers has ever had close to 250 million to spend in 2 calendar years and despite him always claiming he was all about looking after the clubs money he ended up doing everything but that.
far too much deadwood has been brought in by him only to be shown the door just as quick, his first 2 windows were a joke with what return we got and now this summer looks to be heading the same route.
this summer was his chance to correct mistakes and he didnt, we are worse off and no sign of it improving and he has bought nothing that comes close to bailing us out.
not another red cent should he be given and if he has a problem with that then he should take himself off as, even with the amount of $h!te he talks surely it isnt enough to convince himself that he has spent the money well and deserves more.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm

If we don't give him more money, then we are basically saying he is going to get sacked 5 months after almost winning the league and having a brilliant season and while we are currently a couple of points off top 4.  Unless you mean no more money and see how he does this season?

I'm baffled as to why some fans appear to be turning on Rodgers.  (not aimed at anyone in particular) 

We've not started too strongly but we are close to top 4 with Allen and Can back and Coutinho starting to show some form. 
We also have our best striker back in a couple of weeks. 

Currently, we are ahead of United, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal with 2 winnable games coming up. A bit of perspective would be nice.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:14 pm

As things stand, we're in fifth place, 4 points off second place City. Not bad, judging from our awful start to the season. However, things WILL IMPROVE, and I'm confident we'll pick up 9 points from our next 4 games.

-Hull (h)
-Swanseas (h)
-Newcastle (a)
Chelsea (h)
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:22 pm

You're baffled as to why people are getting on his back? Im personally more baffled how anyone can support him any longer.

I don't personally, although some do for some odd reason, see how people can class throwing away a league title as a good achievement nor spunking 200 million up the wall as being something good. You then blame injury for our  best striker being out yet he failed to address this, he failed to bring in someone better than Danny with 116m to spend…

The only reason we finished were we did last year was down to one player, the infectious desire that he had on his team mates and the insanity of that player scoring a goal a game as well as setting one up. A player who could do everything as a forward from run in behind, run the channels, play with his back to goal, counter attack and keep possession and score ridiculous goals as well as play superb passes…

Rodgers has been found out, his signings have been found out and this wonderful system has been found out. You win nothing without genuine quality and his signings have left us without this. It says a lot when the clubs best player is a 19 year old who still has a way to go and was here before the manager after spending more than any manager the club has ever had is still our best player.

You may be happy to listen to his mutterings about the club and doing what's right for the club and whatever ***** he wants to say, actions speak louder than words and he needs showing the door.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:50 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm wrote:
I'm baffled as to why some fans appear to be turning on Rodgers.  (not aimed at anyone in particular) 

Can't speak for the rest Jac BUT it's been obvious for well over a year now that defensively we're a bottom half of the table team and Brendan still hasn't got anywhere near sorting it out.

We perhaps overachieved last term with the inclusion of one of the worlds best strikers in our line up plus some outstanding performances from other members of our "attack" . This perhaps allowed to BR to become a little complacent regarding our defensive deficiencies  but if any wake up call was needed it was surely evidenced by the fact that it was our poor defence that actually cost us the title last season.

Bearing in mind that BR knew in the summer that Suarez was on his way out and with his next main strike threat Sturridge being prone to niggles and knocks his inability with the money available to improve our strike force and even more significantly our defence imo borders on incompetence. Despite his declaration the he would buy quality over quantity he went out with his bag of cash and did exactly the opposite. He was talking about signing 3-4 top shelf players and instead made a raft of good to "might turn out to be good"  signings.

Add to that his inability to adjust his tactics or "philosophy" given that the dynamic of the squad has dramatically changed only strengthens my charge of incompetence.

I'm not calling for his head (yet), we played some fantastic stuff last season and it obvious that given the tools BR is a great attacking coach. What he needs to do now however is show that he's also a great manager and for me at least on that score he's still got a lot of work to do.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm wrote:You're baffled as to why people are getting on his back? Im personally more baffled how anyone can support him any longer.

I don't personally, although some do for some odd reason, see how people can class throwing away a league title as a good achievement nor spunking 200 million up the wall as being something good. You then blame injury for our  best striker being out yet he failed to address this, he failed to bring in someone better than Danny with 116m to spend…

The only reason we finished were we did last year was down to one player, the infectious desire that he had on his team mates and the insanity of that player scoring a goal a game as well as setting one up. A player who could do everything as a forward from run in behind, run the channels, play with his back to goal, counter attack and keep possession and score ridiculous goals as well as play superb passes…

Rodgers has been found out, his signings have been found out and this wonderful system has been found out. You win nothing without genuine quality and his signings have left us without this. It says a lot when the clubs best player is a 19 year old who still has a way to go and was here before the manager after spending more than any manager the club has ever had is still our best player.

You may be happy to listen to his mutterings about the club and doing what's right for the club and whatever ***** he wants to say, actions speak louder than words and he needs showing the door.

We certainly didn't throw away the league.  We won 12 of our last 14 games. 
We struggled to break down a Chelsea side that many of the best teams in Europe have struggled to break down over the years. 
And unfortunately our captain picked the worst time in the world to slip. 
We came up slightly short in the end. 
Its closer than we have come to winning the title since the PL started. 

Any team that loses a world class strike partnership like Suarez and Sturridge is going to struggle. 

I agree that we should have addressed this in the summer but we don't know all the facts.  Sanchez didn't want to sign, something went wrong with the Remy deal.  Maybe we missed other targets? 

Getting rid of Rodgers is not the solution.  Perhaps reviewing the Transfer committee or getting some help for our defensive woes would be some avenues worth exploring.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:55 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:01 pm wrote:If we don't give him more money, then we are basically saying he is going to get sacked 5 months after almost winning the league and having a brilliant season and while we are currently a couple of points off top 4.  Unless you mean no more money and see how he does this season?

We've not started too strongly but we are close to top 4 with Allen and Can back and Coutinho starting to show some form. 
We also have our best striker back in a couple of weeks. 

Currently, we are ahead of United, Everton, Spurs and Arsenal with 2 winnable games coming up. A bit of perspective would be nice.

at what point do we stop giving him money though ? when he replaces everything he inherited with worse ?. he is the one who refused a director and the help he obviously needs in recruiting players in favour of his own methods which have not yielded anything.
i wouldnt give him another penny in january or the end of the season full stop. the last window was the one for me in which he had to turn it around and buy better and despite being in an unbelievable position to do so, he looks to have failed again.
at the moment it looks like our fantastic season last year was a one off and more down to suarez than rodgers. he got more out of that team on the pitch than rodgers ever will.
we are funny enough still decently placed considering our form but a lot of that is down to how poor the others have been ie: spurs, everton, arsenal and manure. given last season and the fact that we only lost one player combined with a 120 million spend it is far from good enough.
we have players returning yes, but seriously do you think joe allen is the difference to us winning games or not ? he is a poor mans hendo. can is one i have hope for but thats it, he has shown nothing though to even show he is a capable starter. even coutinho has been hampered in his development because he signed lallana who imo is not a better player. sturridge is a massive loss and the only one i believe that is real quality from his signings. when he came here the biggest thing about him was his attitude and injuries, very few doubted his ability to hit the net and he has been fantastic but is injury prone and even though he will return in a few weeks i can bet he will be gone again before christmas.
rodgers is in his 3rd year and this situation we now find ourselves in is unnaceptable for me and i find it baffling that so many are willing to roll out the excuses for him when he is way past that stage. our poor form now is a direct result of his transfers and he deserves to be in the firing line as a result.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:12 pm

His methods have yielded a title challenge and a return to champions league football in 2 seasons.  We all expected it would take longer than that.  Not to mention a huge improvement in our style of play.

At what point do we stop giving him money?  When he stops delivering success, which hasn't happened yet.
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion