Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:Isn't Mourinho taking a similar stance over Costa? He's playing him for Chelsea but advising Spain not to pick him.

And Costa has not been injured for the last three weeks
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:20 pm

He needs to do something fast.  I do sympathize with him.  Its not his fault Suarez left.  Nothing he can do about the injuries to Sturridge, Allen, Flanno, Can etc.
For the first time since he became manager, he looks a bit lost.

Allen and Can being injured at the same time has led to a midfield lacking energy and unable to press.
Sturridge being injured has left us with little to no movement up front.

Our pressing and movement up front was the key to our success. 
We need to figure out an alternative way to get results until our key players are back and should they get injured again.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm

We need to bring someone who can work with the defence. We've always conceded under Rodgers and for me it's being more apparent he has a blind spot when it comes to the defensive side of the game. Some may argue it's the trade off for playing an expansive, attacking game but we really do look amateurish at times defensively. i accept some individual players are probably not upto the level we need (i.e MIgnolet - simply not dominant enough), but we have problems as a defensive unit as well. Just do not look well drilled
Doeboy

Postby Red Focus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 am

I have no doubt Brendan is a good manager but his transfer dealings have revealed weak side which can make him the Alan Pardew of Liverpool. I don't know whether it's because of balancing the accounts or FFP rules but from all his transfer dealings he has given me the impression that he is a low budget manager which is obvious now since all his previous clubs were all small clubs(Watford, Reading, Swansea). I know he has spent more than 100M but I what I mean is, he would never spend more than 25 M on any player. He emphasises on quantity than quality and of course rubbish always come in quantity. 

Do you know why of all goalkeepers he is eyeing Victor Valdes? Because he is a free agent and can come to Anfield for free. Doesn't this verify my point that he is only after players who can come cheap? By being cheap, you can never compete with the top guns in the PL regardless of how good a manager you are if you flop in the transfer dealings like Brendan did in the last window. The departure of Suarez and his subsequent signings of cheap youngsters with 'potentials' (Origi, Markovic, Can, Moreno, Manquillo) and old man Lambert have revealed his weakness and could cost him his job and make Newcastle, Burnley and QPR our competitors for avoiding the drop. Those 3 clubs are worse than Liverpool and so I don't think we will relegate(I hope).

Prior to the start of the season, there were fears we could become the next Spurs and many fans and even the media were convinced we won't, now the results are showing that we are worse than Spurs last season. I am sure my thread has p*ssed off many of you but I have to voice out my frustrations explicitly. And yes, I am a life long Liverpool fan and always will be.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby killerp » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 am

I'm officially on suicide watch if we lose against Westbrom.

It now feels like Rodgers built a house of cards last season and Suarez was the ground floor propping up the whole thing.

You take that out and we crumble...

We bring in 9 new players and look so much worse, how else can you explain this? Injuries, players taking time to adapt, Rodgers inexperience with managing mid weeks games? The truth is Gerrard can't save us every game neither can Suarez.

Sturidge remains as the only player I look to now to carry the burden. Then I think fook England duty...again ! Another six weeks out....  :censored:
killerp

Postby LFC1990 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:12 am

The only thing I will fault BR for is his inability to drop/rest whatever you want to call it Gerrard

Remember the transfers wasnt just down to Brendan there was a huge comitee who was in charge and you never know Brendan might have said lets get Falcao Cavin and ibrahimovic and the others on the comitee wanted the younger players with the higher sel on value

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 am

LFC1990 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:12 am wrote:The only thing I will fault BR for is his inability to drop/rest whatever you want to call it Gerrard

Remember the transfers wasnt just down to Brendan there was a huge comitee who was in charge and you never know Brendan might have said lets get Falcao Cavin and ibrahimovic and the others on the comitee wanted the younger players with the higher sel on value

:wwww  :laugh:
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 am

Red Focus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 am wrote:I have no doubt Brendan is a good manager but his transfer dealings have revealed weak side which can make him the Alan Pardew of Liverpool. I don't know whether it's because of balancing the accounts or FFP rules but from all his transfer dealings he has given me the impression that he is a low budget manager which is obvious now since all his previous clubs were all small clubs(Watford, Reading, Swansea). I know he has spent more than 100M but I what I mean is, he would never spend more than 25 M on any player. He emphasises on quantity than quality and of course rubbish always come in quantity. 

Do you know why of all goalkeepers he is eyeing Victor Valdes? Because he is a free agent and can come to Anfield for free. Doesn't this verify my point that he is only after players who can come cheap? By being cheap, you can never compete with the top guns in the PL regardless of how good a manager you are if you flop in the transfer dealings like Brendan did in the last window. The departure of Suarez and his subsequent signings of cheap youngsters with 'potentials' (Origi, Markovic, Can, Moreno, Manquillo) and old man Lambert have revealed his weakness and could cost him his job and make Newcastle, Burnley and QPR our competitors for avoiding the drop. Those 3 clubs are worse than Liverpool and so I don't think we will relegate(I hope).

Prior to the start of the season, there were fears we could become the next Spurs and many fans and even the media were convinced we won't, now the results are showing that we are worse than Spurs last season. I am sure my thread has p*ssed off many of you but I have to voice out my frustrations explicitly. And yes, I am a life long Liverpool fan and always will be.

How can someone be a good manager without being any good in the transfer market?

Do us all a favour as well, stop going on about budgets and spending, go and support Chelsea, Man Utd and City if thats what you're after, you can get quality for the right price if you know what you're buying (our manager doesn't).

And on Valdes, no it doesn't verify your point. Your point is that of a Chelsea fan, United fan or City fan when they lose a game or two.

We also will not be relegated this season.

Hustler alert... although your standard english either suggests a young lad or a foreigner. WUM!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 am

Doeboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm wrote:We need to bring someone who can work with the defence. We've always conceded under Rodgers and for me it's being more apparent he has a blind spot when it comes to the defensive side of the game. Some may argue it's the trade off for playing an expansive, attacking game but we really do look amateurish at times defensively. i accept some individual players are probably not upto the level we need (i.e MIgnolet - simply not dominant enough), but we have problems as a defensive unit as well. Just do not look well drilled

Doesn't matter who you bring in to work with the defence, when you have Moreno, Skrtel and Mignolet in there as well as Johnson in reserve and Sahko you're never going to keep clean sheets. Its about quality first and foremost.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:00 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:04 am wrote:
Doeboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:27 pm wrote:We need to bring someone who can work with the defence. We've always conceded under Rodgers and for me it's being more apparent he has a blind spot when it comes to the defensive side of the game. Some may argue it's the trade off for playing an expansive, attacking game but we really do look amateurish at times defensively. i accept some individual players are probably not upto the level we need (i.e MIgnolet - simply not dominant enough), but we have problems as a defensive unit as well. Just do not look well drilled

Doesn't matter who you bring in to work with the defence, when you have Moreno, Skrtel and Mignolet in there as well as Johnson in reserve and Sahko you're never going to keep clean sheets. Its about quality first and foremost.

Don't forget the massive contribution Stevie G is offering as our "DM"
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Focus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:24 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 am wrote:
Red Focus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 am wrote:I have no doubt Brendan is a good manager but his transfer dealings have revealed weak side which can make him the Alan Pardew of Liverpool. I don't know whether it's because of balancing the accounts or FFP rules but from all his transfer dealings he has given me the impression that he is a low budget manager which is obvious now since all his previous clubs were all small clubs(Watford, Reading, Swansea). I know he has spent more than 100M but I what I mean is, he would never spend more than 25 M on any player. He emphasises on quantity than quality and of course rubbish always come in quantity. 

How can someone be a good manager without being any good in the transfer market?

Do us all a favour as well, stop going on about budgets and spending, go and support Chelsea, Man Utd and City if thats what you're after, you can get quality for the right price if you know what you're buying (our manager doesn't).

And on Valdes, no it doesn't verify your point. Your point is that of a Chelsea fan, United fan or City fan when they lose a game or two.

We also will not be relegated this season.

Hustler alert... although your standard english either suggests a young lad or a foreigner. WUM!

Stu The Red, according to you, what is the problem of being a young lad or a foreigner whose english is not up to your 'high standards' and please explain to me why and how I am under a ' Hustler alert' because of that? I am curious, do elaborate. Are you a young lad yourself? You don't sound like one, so please grow up and don't get personal. This forum is for people like me and you to voice out our differing opinions and not to have a go at each other. If you want to do that, I will be more than happy for us to PM each other and not on a forum for discussions on Liverpool.

Now back to LFC, when I said Brendan was a good manager, that was solely based on the way we played our football last season which was excellent and won over the hears of many neutrals and Brendan received many managerial accolades for that, even more than Pellegrini who won the league. Now you have to be a good manager to achieve what he achieved last season. I do have to say unfortunately his transfer dealings are a farce and hope he learns from his blunders. I am not satisfied with the majority of his signings since he joined and if you include his performance in the transfer market, yes, he is not the finished article.

I am a long life Liverpool fan like I said and will never switch allegiance and I wish I can rewire my brain to support City, Chelsea or manure like you suggested, why? Because for the past ten seasons, all the PL titles have been won by those 3. Chelsea won 3, City 2 and manure 5 and Liverpool? You have to go back by one generation when we were last crowned champions. Now doesn't that prove that not only do you need a good manager and players to win the title, the manager also needs to be backed by rich tycoons and Chelsea and City especially have proven it. Past records don't lie.  If you're being mean and stingy with money  you can never win the title. Yes, many of you may say, Chelsea and City will be in trouble if they owners decide to call it day and pull out. Well, their owners have been owing their clubs for more than 10 years now and counting and I am sure either Chelsea or City will win it this season.

A club can never get quality for the right price. Brendan tried to sign M.Salah(quality player IMO) from the Jan window, only to be outbid by Mourinho. Brendan tried to sign Falcao, Cavanni (all quality players) in the last window but he shied away because they didn't come with the 'right price' and I'm sure you agree those are the right players for Liverpool. At least much better than Balo. If the media are to be believed, Brendan is looking to sign either Higuan/Benzema(again right players) but they won't come at the right price for Brendan ie less than 26M. He needs to offer at least 35M for their services. If he wants the right price, then he will be getting the Borinis, Lamberts and Aspas for strikers to make up for the big hole left behind by LS.

Agree with you, we won't be relegated because Burnley, QPR and Newcastle are sh*tter than us.

What are your prediction for the WB game? Are you confident of getting 3 points? For me, based on our current form and without Sturridge, it will be hard unless Albion have an off day.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby RedAnt » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 am

Ever played New Star Soccer? The press interviews are funny. Memorise the cliches. Reminds me of Rodgers at the end of the day, er, we're playing one game at a time and the lads gave 110%. That's the real trick though isn't it? To say nothing for five minutes. It's frustrating for fans, but we're really quite peripheral anyway in the big scheme.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Red Focus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:35 am

RedAnt » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:07 am wrote:Ever played New Star Soccer? The press interviews are funny. Memorise the cliches. Reminds me of Rodgers at the end of the day, er, we're playing one game at a time and the lads gave 110%. That's the real trick though isn't it? To say nothing for five minutes. It's frustrating for fans, but we're really quite peripheral anyway in the big scheme.

True, they are all millionaire footballers and managers anyway.

Without Sturridge, Liverpool's firepower upfront have been mostly firing blanks. Fans and players look at things differently. As fans, it's what he can do for Liverpool first and his personal career second, but for Danny Sturridge himself, it's his career comes first and the club is a tool to further advance his career and ambitions hoping the big 2 in Spain will want him. Don't think for a second these players are here to make us happy through playing well for Liverpool. They are all playing for themselves. The recent sale of LS verifies that. They don't give a sh't about the club nor the fans IMO. But we still love him if he continues to excel at Liverpool regardless of his true motive.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:26 am

IMO, he is a coach not a manager. Don't get me wrong, he may become  a good manager later, but right now he is a coach and that is what he must concentrate on being.

Another thing, what do you all think about his handling of the media/press. I think he is awful, he comes out with a lot of rubbish. He could do with coaching in this department. Also, for the time being, he should really have someone write prepared statements for him and keep to that only.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Red Focus » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:24 am

Kash_Mountain » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:26 am wrote:IMO, he is a coach not a manager. Don't get me wrong, he may become  a good manager later, but right now he is a coach and that is what he must concentrate on being.

Another thing, what do you all think about his handling of the media/press. I think he is awful, he comes out with a lot of rubbish. He could do with coaching in this department. Also, for the time being, he should really have someone write prepared statements for him and keep to that only.

He is quite diplomatic in handling the media. He never badmouths his opponents, never boast about himself like "I'm the special one", never criticises his players in public even if they were rubbish. However, I have noticed that he repeats the same theme most of the time, like praising his players and an optimistic outlook on the next game.
Red Focus
LFC Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion