Basel V LIVERPOOL 01/10/14 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:06 am

No Sturridge for the game today which I think everyone hoped we would see atleast a sub appareance from the lad.

It would be great to build on the opening game win but we would have to play alot lot better then we did against Ludogrets.

Basel will know they will have to try to beat us uf they want to get through this group which will work in our favour onthe counter attack. Basel conceded 5 away to /madrid however Madrid did pose the attacking force of Ronaldo Benzema and Bale

Squad selection ahead of today I think Balotelli and Markovic need as much game time to boosttheir confidence so i would stick with these. At the back i would be suprised to see Toure come in along with Enrique to give Moreno a rest. Also think BR will try and go two up top hopefully favouring Borini over Lambert

Mignolet
Manquillo
Skrtel
Toure
Enrique
Gerrard
Henderson
Lallana/Sterling
MArkovic
Borini
Balotelli

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:47 pm

Basel are a very tricky opponent  i dare say we are the underdogs in this match considering our current form. I really don't know what to expect from LFC this days.
Losing Daniel is huge hopefully we can get a win their and secure our position in the next stage.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:53 pm

We can't really afford to lose this game, if we do it puts massive pressure on us to beat them in the return fixture at Anfield, a win tonight and a draw at Anfield would probably be enough to see them go through so it's vital that we at least get something out of this game. That's why I'd probably go with just the 1 upfront and flood the midfield.
Although Basel conceded 5 against Madrid they did manage to score and they created a lot of other good chances too, I watched the highlights of that game and Casillas made a string of great saves so these won't be any pushovers, especially on their own patch.
We all want to see us play progressive attacking football but the art to succeeding in Europe is to play smart football, Rafa was a master at it, a draw would be a good result tonight in the grand scheme of things. When we were playing in those huge CL semi-finals and finals at the end of the season everyone forgot about those boring ***** draws against the likes of Deportivo and Maccabi Haifa in the group stages. Tonight's game is just a means to an end so I wouldn't be too upset with a solid defensive display and walk out of their place with us on 4 points and them on 1.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:53 am wrote:We can't really afford to lose this game, if we do it puts massive pressure on us to beat them in the return fixture at Anfield, a win tonight and a draw at Anfield would probably be enough to see them go through so it's vital that we at least get something out of this game. That's why I'd probably go with just the 1 upfront and flood the midfield.
Although Basel conceded 5 against Madrid they did manage to score and they created a lot of other good chances too, I watched the highlights of that game and Casillas made a string of great saves so these won't be any pushovers, especially on their own patch.
We all want to see us play progressive attacking football but the art to succeeding in Europe is to play smart football, Rafa was a master at it, a draw would be a good result tonight in the grand scheme of things. When we were playing in those huge CL semi-finals and finals at the end of the season everyone forgot about those boring ***** draws against the likes of Deportivo and Maccabi Haifa in the group stages. Tonight's game is just a means to an end so I wouldn't be too upset with a solid defensive display and walk out of their place with us on 4 points and them on 1.

I'd be happy with a scrappy unconvincing 1-0. But my head tells me it will be a draw (0-0 or 1-1)
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm

If Sturridge was available we would have won for sure. But since he isn't, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, this is what I'd go for:

Mignolet

Manquillo   Skrtel   Lovren   Enrique

Henderson   Gerrard

Markovic        Coutinho        Lallana

Balotelli

Not playing Sterling is a bit risky but the kid just needs a rest or he'll burn out. He isn't going to get any rest from Hodgson that's for sure.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:54 pm

Sterling does need a rest but I wouldn't rest him for this one, the 2 games against Basel will probably determine wether we get out of the group or not so I'd pick our strongest possible XI.
We'd be better off resting him against Madrid.
We just need to avoid defeat tonight and we'll be in a strong position in the group, we will be at least 3 points ahead of our main rival for the second qualifying spot (Basel) and we will have played them away from home too.
A draw will do, just don't get fecking beat!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ballotelliman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:14 pm

i wona see borini balotelli or lambert balotelli  we need to know which combo is best. As we all noticed balo needs help up there
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby C-R » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:32 pm

Liverpool XI: Mignolet, Manquillo, Enrique, Lovren, Skrtel, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Markovic, Balotelli.

Substitutes: Jones, Toure, Moreno, Lucas, Lallana, Lambert, Borini.

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:50 pm

No Lallana? That's a bit surprising, he's been one of our better performers recently.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedSi35 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:51 pm

Would have liked to see Lallana, thought he did pretty well in the derby.

Will Gerrard ever get a rest ?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 pm

RedSi35 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:51 pm wrote:Would have liked to see Lallana, thought he did pretty well in the derby.

Will Gerrard ever get a rest ?

He'll have to rest him for the West Brom game surely, the last time Gerrard tried to play 3 matches in a week he could hardly run.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ballotelliman » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm

first 2o minutes vital tonight hope were ready high tempo press high get sterling on the ball early lets put them to bed 2-0 by half-time
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby laurence_2k2 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:24 pm

anyone any sopcast links?
ynwa
The Rafalution Continues!
laurence_2k2

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Checkout Wiziwig. They always have loads of streams including Sopcast. Additionally, try VIPbox, it's good.

I think we need to start pressing high up the pitch instead of inviting pressure

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Madrid losing

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games