SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:48 pm

Doeboy » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:47 pm wrote:Getting bit of a bashing by Neville and Carra tonight on MNF. Think Mignolet is a decent enough keeper but just doesn't dominate enough for me and so never instil's any confidence. Can pull off quality saves but not sure his all round game is good enough for where we want to be. Looking around the league, the likes of Courtois, Cech, De Gea, Lloris, Begovic, Hart are all better. I'd bunch him with the likes of Howard, Guzan, Krul, Szczesny and it could be argued even some of those have the edge over them. Like the look of Forster at Southampton and think we should have been in for him

Saw that and thot Gary's assessment was spot on...Mig is just 'not good enough' is we want to progress. He's decent at times but prone make mistakes at the most crucial of time. Technically he is pretty weak  :glare:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:26 pm

All keepers make mistakes
Howard was the best goalie in the whole wild world a couple of months ago...
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby parchpea » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 am

Mignolet was purchased with potential but like many players may never actually reach that level, we are a club that buys the unfinished article.

He is under severe pressure now after MNF and I wonder if Carra and Neville will be assessing every Premiership keeper against Neuer, arguably the finest goalie in the world.

Maybe next week we can see Neuer legging it to the half way line and conceding versus Mignolet standing on the goal line and not being beaten in a similar scenario, or De Gea
flapping about in the 6 yard box compared with Neuer taking someone's head off Isis style to catch the same ball. There must be many examples.

I am not saying Mignolet is all that but I don't care for a witch hunt especially from that Manc tw@t.

Carra even had a pop at Mignolet for not saving the Middlesbrough pens on twitter which all seemed to be unsaveable, great penos, so is there some kind of conspiracy here, it
just doesn't feel right.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:34 am

He's a distinctly average keeper as I said from day one. To call it a witch hunt is pathetic, he's not up to it, never has been, never will be
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:48 am

Stu the thing is, Maybe Mignolet isnt as good as we should be hoping for however you never gave him a chance and i expect you have been hoping for him to fail just so you could say i told you so

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:12 pm

He is no good, never has been, never will be, therefore did not deserve a chance. Much like Konchesky should never have been signed in the first place. As for wanting him to fail to suit a personal agenda is a pathetic thing to say (mind you I shouldn't expect an thing less from a pathetic individual) I support my local team, I want them to succeed and don't want to see money I've put into the club being spent on rubbish like Mig no let.

Still think he's better than Pepe? :laugh:

Knob.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:52 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:12 am wrote:He is no good, never has been, never will be, therefore did not deserve a chance. Much like Konchesky should never have been signed in the first place. As for wanting him to fail to suit a personal agenda is a pathetic thing to say (mind you I shouldn't expect an thing less from a pathetic individual) I support my local team, I want them to succeed and don't want to see money I've put into the club being spent on rubbish like Mig no let.

Still think he's better than Pepe? :laugh:

Knob.

Comparing him to Konchensky is a joke ,the one came to us as a legitimate championship level player Simone is comfortably a Premier League keeper with ,evident ,weaknesses.
I still think he played a big part of us reaching CL football last year. He gave us the push start to our successful campaign.
Still think our CB - Keeper communication and trust level is effecting both parties to the worst.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 pm

The reason's Mingolet is playing so badly are intricate. For starters, when we signed him, he was a young, promising 'keeper, flourishing under lighter pressure at Sunderland. When we signed him he didn't suddenly become the finished article, yet in he went and out went Pepe. Someone dropped a massive b*llock there. What he needed was time, a mentor (Reina, or at least someone experienced), good coaching and the "quest" of earning his place between the sticks.
Without an experienced 'keeper to tutor him, without the need to fight for a place, without another 'keeper stepping in his toes to keep him challenging, then all he has left is coaching. I know little to zero about our coaching so I can't comment.
How can he ever learn about aggression and commanding the box under the current set up?
BR must hold some blame. The goalkeeping issue is glaringly obvious to most.
I'm afraid until we sort this position there's little point in doing much other than what we're already doing, defense-wise at least.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:16 am

RedAnt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 pm wrote:The reason's Mingolet is playing so badly are intricate. For starters, when we signed him, he was a young, promising 'keeper, flourishing under lighter pressure at Sunderland. When we signed him he didn't suddenly become the finished article, yet in he went and out went Pepe. Someone dropped a massive b*llock there. What he needed was time, a mentor (Reina, or at least someone experienced), good coaching and the "quest" of earning his place between the sticks.
Without an experienced 'keeper to tutor him, without the need to fight for a place, without another 'keeper stepping in his toes to keep him challenging, then all he has left is coaching. I know little to zero about our coaching so I can't comment.
How can he ever learn about aggression and commanding the box under the current set up?
I'm afraid until we sort this position there's little point in doing much other than what we're already doing, defense-wise at least.

The reason he's a flop is because he was overated at Sunderland and was never any good in the first place.

Suprisingly.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:33 am

Stu the Red » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:16 am wrote:
RedAnt » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 pm wrote:The reason's Mingolet is playing so badly are intricate. For starters, when we signed him, he was a young, promising 'keeper, flourishing under lighter pressure at Sunderland. When we signed him he didn't suddenly become the finished article, yet in he went and out went Pepe. Someone dropped a massive b*llock there. What he needed was time, a mentor (Reina, or at least someone experienced), good coaching and the "quest" of earning his place between the sticks.

The reason he's a flop is because he was overated at Sunderland and was never any good in the first place.

Suprisingly.

Can't agree with that, Stu. When looking for a young goalkeeper, you go by natural ability such as reflexes, agility and overall athleticism. We can't so easily analyse mental attributes or the capacity to learn that side of the game. In some, such as an obvious as example as Peter Shmeicel (however that's spelled), then it's obvious he's big, imposing and should eventually command the defensive third of the pitch. Mignolet has the physical side and so was a potentially good signing.
One would hope that once the initial potential is spotted, then coaches/mentors would help develope the mental aspects of the game. Personally I reckon we've ruined him and any potential he had.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:01 am

He had a decent game yesterday, he was unlucky with the goal and showed terrific reflexes to get a hand to Skrtel's back header which deflected off Lovren's back. It wasn't his fault that we lost.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby mramo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:40 pm

Mignolet was fully capable of catching that save rather than carelessly parrying it away, which is what he did & was therefore at fault. I recall Grobbelaar catching most of his saves.
mramo

Postby RedAnt » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:49 pm

It's easy to say a goalkeeper is good because he saves shots. Most papers gave him 7 out of 10. That's a bit naive for me. On shotstopping alone? Maybe 7. But how many crosses must our defence deal with because the groundsman used glue instead of paint? If he came off his line, barked orders, organised the defence, added a touch of sweeper-play to his game, we'd defend better which in turn inspires confidence for the lads up front.
It definatley ain't Mings fault alone that we lost, but in my book, there's much, much more to goalkeeping than shot stopping. Rating him on that is like saying Skrtel and Lovren are great passers because of their pass completion rate, when they're just knocking it back and forth to eachother. A goalkeeper who saves a lot of shots may well be a good 'keeper. But it could just so easily be that he's saving so many shots because he's not organised his defence well. Debatable.
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:55 pm

mramo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 am wrote:Mignolet was fully capable of catching that save rather than carelessly parrying it away, which is what he did & was therefore at fault. I recall Grobbelaar catching most of his saves.

You've got to be joking? The ball changed direction twice within the space of 6 yards and the original header came from a source he wasn't expecting, he did amazingly well to get anything on it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:18 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:55 am wrote:
mramo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:40 am wrote:Mignolet was fully capable of catching that save rather than carelessly parrying it away, which is what he did & was therefore at fault. I recall Grobbelaar catching most of his saves.

You've got to be joking? The ball changed direction twice within the space of 6 yards and the original header came from a source he wasn't expecting, he did amazingly well to get anything on it.

Cannot fault him for the goal but his distribution was dodgy again and the basle players could sense it.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion