LAZAR MARKOVIC- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:52 pm

Like I said not one in recent times. Currently on my phone and can't be bothered going over all the reasons but the game was very different in the early nineties and before hand. The levels of professionalism and fitness were completely different and different attributes were looked at… in recent times there has been so many failures it's been a joke…

Ryan Babel being a fabulous example
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:33 am

Stu the Red » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:52 pm wrote:Like I said not one in recent times. Currently on my phone and can't be bothered going over all the reasons but the game was very different in the early nineties and before hand. The levels of professionalism and fitness were completely different and different attributes were looked at… in recent times there has been so many failures it's been a joke…

Ryan Babel being a fabulous example

Forgive me Stu ,but you never stated 'recent times' ,it seems you have a knack of throwing in  words to alter your argument  .....You were wrong Stu !
It happens to the best of us ,just acknowledge that you left your post wide open ,and we can move on fella  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:41 am

I did leave it wide open red but the point still stands, I'm yet to see a pile of turd turn into diamond.

We haven't signed a player in the last twenty years who has been one for the future and they have been a succes. we don't have a reserve league as such these days which is of an acceptable standard either which hinders development.

MarkoVic looks poor, there is definitely something there but as to whether he's got what it takes I couldn't say. My early guess is another smicer
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Johnny Boy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:17 pm

He has only played a few times, comparing him to Smicer at this stage is just stupid.
A lot of players take time to settle...get it?

Brendan quote after he signed:
"Getting him at such a young age is also very pleasing for us, because we will be able to work with him to develop his talent within our group and improve him even further.

"He is the sort of character who is hungry to get better and progress; this is what we look for in players."
Johnny Boy
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 pm

Reminds me a little of Patrick Berger and he started slowly. Simply he is just rushing his play but if he is as good as he is supposed to, then he will adapt to the pace and no doubt look better. We'll see!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:38 pm

an open letter to lazar markovic:

dear lazar,

please become really really really really good so we can tell stu he was wrong. we'd really really appreciate it.

lots of love

andy_g

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:00 pm

kazza » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 pm wrote:Reminds me a little of Patrick Berger and he started slowly. Simply he is just rushing his play but if he is as good as he is supposed to, then he will adapt to the pace and no doubt look better. We'll see!

Seriously?

The lad scored five goals in his first four games mate.

Check your facts.

Markovic may well turn out to be a good signing, but I have my doubts. So far he's shown next to nothing. He's looked wasteful, indecisive, weak and someone who over runs the ball.

The fact is, we've had player after player after player who are "for the future" over the last 20 years and I can't remember a single one who actually performed. The best people can come up with are Smicer and Lucas, Smicer was inconsistant at his best and Lucas has never been any good since the day we signed him. His one season that everyone raves over where we finished 9th was probably the only season he's looked like he can compete with other midfielders in this league on a regular basis, which after 7 years or so is simply not good enough.

The likes of Babel (the new Henry) needed time, Leto (the new whoever he was), Cheyrou (the new Zidane), Diouf (potentially world footballer of the year) and so on... its boring hearing the same excuses for rubbish players, especially when the excuses are absolute rubbish.

Alonso, Hyypia, Suarez and Torres all proven if you have it, you have it. Its that simple. Alonso was regarded as a potentially world class midfielder when he came here, it took one game to see it, Hyypia was a complete unknown to everyone, yet his quality shone through even in pre season (he stood out like a giant amount dwarfs) and Torres couldn't stop scoring. Suarez wasn't a world class player here but his potential was clear to see from his first match as a sub and his first start. Markovic is nowhere near this level of player.

Class doesn't need time to settle and show... they need time to adapt to tactics and to see the best of them, but they don't need time to show they're a good player individually.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:18 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 pm wrote:
kazza » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 pm wrote:Reminds me a little of Patrick Berger and he started slowly. Simply he is just rushing his play but if he is as good as he is supposed to, then he will adapt to the pace and no doubt look better. We'll see!

Seriously?

The lad scored five goals in his first four games mate.

Check your facts.

Markovic may well turn out to be a good signing, but I have my doubts. So far he's shown next to nothing. He's looked wasteful, indecisive, weak and someone who over runs the ball.

The fact is, we've had player after player after player who are "for the future" over the last 20 years and I can't remember a single one who actually performed. The best people can come up with are Smicer and Lucas, Smicer was inconsistant at his best and Lucas has never been any good since the day we signed him. His one season that everyone raves over where we finished 9th was probably the only season he's looked like he can compete with other midfielders in this league on a regular basis, which after 7 years or so is simply not good enough.

The likes of Babel (the new Henry) needed time, Leto (the new whoever he was), Cheyrou (the new Zidane), Diouf (potentially world footballer of the year) and so on... its boring hearing the same excuses for rubbish players, especially when the excuses are absolute rubbish.

Alonso, Hyypia, Suarez and Torres all proven if you have it, you have it. Its that simple. Alonso was regarded as a potentially world class midfielder when he came here, it took one game to see it, Hyypia was a complete unknown to everyone, yet his quality shone through even in pre season (he stood out like a giant amount dwarfs) and Torres couldn't stop scoring. Suarez wasn't a world class player here but his potential was clear to see from his first match as a sub and his first start. Markovic is nowhere near this level of player.

Class doesn't need time to settle and show... they need time to adapt to tactics and to see the best of them, but they don't need time to show they're a good player individually.

On Berger I'll admit i am going on memory so I'll accept your word for it, I just seem to remember people saying he was cr@p when he first came. I also agree that good players show up immediatly and don't really need to settle and also I too am sick of hearing about "the next this" and "the next that" but Markovic still looks like he will be quality to me. Hyypia, Torres and Suarez were all older than Markovic when they came so it is an unfair comparison, twenty is a far cry from twenty six.

I'll say it again, he looks like he is rushing his play which to me tells me it is about confidence. When you are nervous things go by too quickly and you tend to rush, when you are calm then time slows down and you look a lot more composed. I do not say this about Borini for example as you can see that the same quality is not there but Markovic looks quality to me and I think he will be a good player for us. I hope i am right!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm on the fence about this guy. Stu makes some good points but I've seen Markovic play for Benfica a few times and it was obvious that the lad has quality. Wasn't consistent enough but I gave him the benefit for that due to his age. I think he needs to get used to the team and the league first before we cast our judgment, but from what I've seen so far I think he can reach the level of Coutinho but no more than that.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Im not happy with his performances so far. He looks out of his depth and lacking confidence but surely that will come with games?
Give the kid a chance.Its understandable that he is overawed, especially when people are on his back because he hasnt scored a worldy yet!
:laugh:
Thommo's perm

Postby Bermenstein » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 am

Get Steve Peters and Paul McKenna to do some Jiggery pokery on him and he'll be fine.

Maybe send Lovern and Mignolet in too for a recap...

Next....
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Wow your horses, is that Bermenstein! Long time no hear on the forum mate.

You forgot to add Dynamo to work his magic on him,  in fact, the whole team and coaches etc

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Doeboy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:10 pm

Too early to make a judgement. Only had a few games and is a young lad starting off in a new country and league. We were never buying the finished with him so need to give him time. Admit his outings so far have been dissapointing. Needs to strengthen up, gets brushed off far too easily at the moment.

His situation is a bit like Lamela at spurs.  He did absolutely nothing last season buy appears to be finding his feet now. So will give Markovic some time before reaching judgement.
Doeboy

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Bermenstein » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:36 am wrote:Get Steve Peters and Paul McKenna to do some Jiggery pokery on him and he'll be fine.

Maybe send Lovern and Mignolet in too for a recap...

Next....

Welcome back lad ,have you come back to 'exclusively' start the match threads ?   :;):
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bermenstein » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:52 am

Kash_Mountain » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 am wrote:Wow your horses, is that Bermenstein! Long time no hear on the forum mate.

You forgot to add Dynamo to work his magic on him,  in fact, the whole team and coaches etc

Hi ya doin KM
A few need to get their chimp texts out after last nights game.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion