Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby only me » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:31 pm wrote:Stu I think you are underestimating the role of Rodgers in Suarez's success. As a Liverpool player Suarez finished 6th, 8th, 7th and then 2nd so quite clearly just having Luis Suarez in our side wasn't a guarantee that we'd finish in the top 4.
The side had to be set up to get the best out of Suarez and to be fair to Brendan he identified that and did it.
Brendan moved on players like Carroll (who was doing okay), Adam and Downing and replaced them with quick, mobile players like Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho who would compliment Suarez's game perfectly.
Yes our attack carried a poor midfield and defence but Rodgers built that attack, in Suarez's other seasons at the club we scored 59, 47 and 71 goals, nowhere near the 101 that we got after Rodgers rebuild.
Yes Luis Suarez is one of our greatest ever players but to just say that Brendan did f##k all and he was lucky is just plain wrong.

It is evident you never played football Yakka the hell with you!  :laugh:
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:27 pm

only me » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:59 pm wrote:
where  to start....Overall statement you should work on your reading comprehension or i should work on getting my message through...

Love for BR? Hmm a month ago i was calling for his head because he didn't sign any striker after LS left...So love or no love i'll judge him by his actions and his track record.
Comparing DS to LS ,never did ,made a simple observation to coutner your ridicules claims that Luis was the only reason for our success last year...Remove DS numbers and you get a European league team..it's simple even you can understand...And  parading the fact you played some half-amateurish football as a token for your understanding of the game let me wipe my eyes for a second ,who gives a fck if you played on a Sunday Pub team or at Champion league team it doesn't give you any additional credit over anyother fan out their and frankly it's pathetic. As to you telling other fans who and how to support that's a real a$$ cracker coming from a negative bitter goat as yourself it's almost a compliment ,you don't get to tell other fans who and how to support their team.

You talk of my love of BR but you are practically in-love with Suarez and the lack of respect you display for the rest of the players and managers is an insult and a terrible example of a "fan" ,Jordan was the best basketball player in the world but he achieved shiite till he got the right manager and teammates ,same as LS...Your glorification of LS is embarrassing. Your are an ignorant ,pompous a$$ individual convinced you "invented" the game and the rest of us are just mugs. Bottom line LS with his border-line personality thrived in a system and with players which BR molded coached and guided. Concluding otherwise means your might have wicked left/right leg but you are blind as a bat

I have three things to say to you, 

1. You're an idiot.

2. Support your local team.

3. Its ridiculous, not ridicules. :;):
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:27 pm wrote:
only me » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:59 pm wrote:
where  to start....Overall statement you should work on your reading comprehension or i should work on getting my message through...

Love for BR? Hmm a month ago i was calling for his head because he didn't sign any striker after LS left...So love or no love i'll judge him by his actions and his track record.
Comparing DS to LS ,never did ,made a simple observation to coutner your ridicules claims that Luis was the only reason for our success last year...Remove DS numbers and you get a European league team..it's simple even you can understand...And  parading the fact you played some half-amateurish football as a token for your understanding of the game let me wipe my eyes for a second ,who gives a fck if you played on a Sunday Pub team or at Champion league team it doesn't give you any additional credit over anyother fan out their and frankly it's pathetic. As to you telling other fans who and how to support that's a real a$$ cracker coming from a negative bitter goat as yourself it's almost a compliment ,you don't get to tell other fans who and how to support their team.

You talk of my love of BR but you are practically in-love with Suarez and the lack of respect you display for the rest of the players and managers is an insult and a terrible example of a "fan" ,Jordan was the best basketball player in the world but he achieved shiite till he got the right manager and teammates ,same as LS...Your glorification of LS is embarrassing. Your are an ignorant ,pompous a$$ individual convinced you "invented" the game and the rest of us are just mugs. Bottom line LS with his border-line personality thrived in a system and with players which BR molded coached and guided. Concluding otherwise means your might have wicked left/right leg but you are blind as a bat

I have three things to say to you, 

1. You're an idiot.

2. Support your local team.

3. Its ridiculous, not ridicules. :;):

Did you also have problems putting a shirt on (Like Mario) when you played professional football? I suspect you did. BTW i also support a local team...Now go figure why Liverpool spends so much time and effort in their global tours when this ultra genius  allows only born and bred merseysiders to support Liverpool.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:31 pm wrote:Stu I think you are underestimating the role of Rodgers in Suarez's success. As a Liverpool player Suarez finished 6th, 8th, 7th and then 2nd so quite clearly just having Luis Suarez in our side wasn't a guarantee that we'd finish in the top 4.
The side had to be set up to get the best out of Suarez and to be fair to Brendan he identified that and did it.
Brendan moved on players like Carroll (who was doing okay), Adam and Downing and replaced them with quick, mobile players like Sturridge, Sterling and Coutinho who would compliment Suarez's game perfectly.
Yes our attack carried a poor midfield and defence but Rodgers built that attack, in Suarez's other seasons at the club we scored 59, 47 and 71 goals, nowhere near the 101 that we got after Rodgers rebuild.
Yes Luis Suarez is one of our greatest ever players but to just say that Brendan did f##k all and he was lucky is just plain wrong.

Yakka I disagree with you strongly.

Suarez was an exceptional talent and was always going to be a world beater mate once he reached his prime. That much was obvious for anyone to see with half a brain. The lad was special, really special.

You could see that from his debeut and the performance against the mancs (which I believe was his second or third game?) where he skinned 55 players when Kuyt scored a hat-trick from a combined total yardage of 5. He was simply a marvelous talent.

Rodgers, I don't believe done anything special. You say he built the exceptional attack, but did he really? Suarez and Sterling, our two best players were already there long before Rodgers was, Sterling was already being spoken about as the next big thing, and we all know his ideal formation was a 4-3-3 not a 4-1-2-1-2 or whatever the f*ck you wanna call it so fitting Sturridge and Luis into the same side is something I believe was more of an accident than a deliberate ploy. By doing this he played Sterling out of position at times and it worked because Luis was that good, now, this season, its not working because Luis isn't there, we need Sterling back in his best position, which is the right side of three forwards.

You also mention the sale or Carroll and say he done ok? I'm sorry mate but that lad was a f*cking donkey who couldn't play. Again, everyone could see he wasn't right for us and no good, Suarez at times looked embarrassed playing next to him. If I'd have gone in there as manager, he'd have been the first player out of the door.

The fact is, he's been here now for more than three years, not five minutes, he's spent ridicules (or ridiculous :D ) amounts of money on absolute tosh and a whole lot more on players who haven't improved the first team. The money spent has been absoloutely scandelous, obviously we'll get the idiots on here speaking of our lack of spending but thats complete *****, the money spent on players means in his third year he shouldn't be fielding players like Johnson, Skrtel, Lucas and Borini.

Not only that, good squad players he's brought in like Lallana and Lovren (if you rate him as such) we've massively overpayed for, Lovren went for £7,000,000 last season for christ sake.

Not to mention the release of the likes of Agger and Reina, two genuine quality players who not only fit the system, and "the Rodgers style/blue print) but are absoloutely miles better than what we currently have their. Granted, Agger was injury prone, but £3,000,000 for a player who, at 29 years old is miles ahead of Skrtel, Sakho and Toure in terms of ability was shocking business, not only that, it was only last year people were talking about sums of £12,000,000 and £15,000,000 for him, so if he didn't want the lad, why do this?

For me, the only things I believe he's done well since he came to the club is give Sterling and Flannagan a real chance, but the fact is, you have to ask, would most other decent managers have done the same? And I think given the injuries last season and the form Sterling eventually shown (and apparently shown in training every day) then I think they would.

In terms of his signings I won't go into to much detail...

But Fabregas went to Chelsea for £30,000,000 mate.

Alberto, Illori, Aspas, Borini and Mignolet were signed for a total of around £40,000,000. With wages, adding upto around a minimum of £160,000 a week, thats estimating at around the going rate of 20 for alberto and illori, 30 for a spaz, 40 Borini and 50 for Mignolet (I personally reckon you can add another 10k a player on there). Of them players signed, Alberto was rubbish, Illori has never kicked a ball due to him being rubbish (I know you like the lad, but he's no good mate) and Borini and Aspaz are two of the worst players ever to play for LFC. Then you have the keeper, Mig no let... Woeful and a complete flop (sorry to offend Devaney who seems to love the lad).

To be honest, I don't even want to go into his transfers properly in this thread as I find them to be absolutely shambolic.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 pm

It's been a weird start to the season. Who'd have thought that after the money we spent Lucas and Borini would be starting matches a mere five games into the new season? As I and others have said, these guys were told to find other clubs. I imagine our new signings are baffled to be warming the bench whilst the unrequired take to the field. I'm not suprised West Ham beat us. I knew it as soon as Allardyce wound BR up with the complacency line. Cue the Waterboy-esque shuffle of the pack and style. BR has let things go to his head. He sees himself as the players manager, a friend to all. I imagine he's hoping to pioneer a new management style but we need to get back to basics and stop trying to be clever.

I don't despair yet. Other teams are playing sh*yte too. There's a long way to go and the team needs time and support. One thing I think we seriously lack is agression. Along with that we're just too nice and too fair, on and off the pitch. BR should have told certain players "thanks for the effort, but you're simply not good enough". And when we're out on the pitch, we need to fight. Aggressively.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm

I think this season will be "Sh*t" or bust  for Rodgers.

The jury's still out on who was more responsible for our over achievement last season (BR or Suarez) but Suarez left and BR was then handed a HUGE pot of money to play with. The amount of money made available to BR signals that FSG have expressed faith in him BUT they will expect this faith to be rewarded.

I'm still not convinced that it will be.   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:11 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:46 pm wrote:I think this season will be "Sh*t" or bust  for Rodgers.

The jury's still out on who was more responsible for our over achievement last season (BR or Suarez) but Suarez left and BR was then handed a HUGE pot of money to play with. The amount of money made available to BR signals that FSG have expressed faith in him BUT they will expect this faith to be rewarded.

I'm still not convinced that it will be.   :(

If anything Woof I think the amount spent shows they don't have faith in him.

A net spend of £25,000,000 or so (not sure of the exact figure) when you've qualified for the champions league doesn't seem like a great amount to me. I may be mistaken, but I'm sure we've had a net spend in the past of a hell of a lot more than that in a few seasons.

I would have thought Rodgers would have started with a pot close to £50,000,000 and been allowed to spend whatever he re-couped. Maybe mistaken though.

Do agree with the sh*t or bust comment, for me he's already bust, be interesting to see if he can turn it round and he can get us fourth. Have my doubts.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm a little confused how anyone can judege the majority of our signings especially negatively

Only Lovren has played an amount of games we can really judge and the out come being negative

Moreno has been fantastic every game bar west ham

Can,lallana and markovic have had very very little game time and lallana was one of the better players v whu and markovic and can have looked decent what we have seen

Balotelli we will not see the best of until srurridge is back hence why his best game was spurs

I think we need to actually let the new players have a decent amount of game time before we judge

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 pm

LFC1990 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:36 pm wrote:I'm a little confused how anyone can judege the majority of our signings especially negatively

Only Lovren has played an amount of games we can really judge and the out come being negative

Moreno has been fantastic every game bar west ham

Can,lallana and markovic have had very very little game time and lallana was one of the better players v whu and markovic and can have looked decent what we have seen

Balotelli we will not see the best of until srurridge is back hence why his best game was spurs

I think we need to actually let the new players have a decent amount of game time before we judge

Agreed, the new signings seem to be carrying the can for the poor results when in fact their own personal performances have been by and large pretty good. Those weaknesses in the team that are letting us down now were there last season too, they didn't just arrive with the new signings.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 am

Been reading a few interviews and reactions from Rodgers...it's strange and a concern that he still sees Gerrard as an integral part of his starting XI and shed no evidence of any concern about his team selection and/or tactics being the problem for the run of bad results. Looking into the mirror and instead of checking his white teeth, he might start to see the root cause of these bad results but guessed he's just too full of himself to do that huh?
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 am

how many managers have we gone through since our last title win?
every time a manager failed then it is another few yrs of frustrating rebuilding,
i want to believe that rogers is "the one" but he may be just another false dawn.

i may be bomb for this but i dont believe rogers is the one who will brg us the big 19,
even with the fantastic result last season.
for one, i think he loves the attention from the media too much,
next is his defensive tactics,
why on the last day of the transfer window did we bid for shaqiri instead of a defensive minded player,
when we have so many attacking mid?

saying all these, i still hope the best for rogers and the team.
hope that he can prove me wrong.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:44 am

I think Rodgers is too busy banging his new lady friend to worry about tactics and how his team performs

Going from this

to this:
(Decent upgrade i might add  :nod )

but get your fookin head back down to earth Rodgers our season is being written after the first few games, 100+ million pounds spent,  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry

Put your dick back in your pants, get back into the training ground for overtime and fooking sort out the defence for god sake!!!!!!!!!!!

We are getting worse every game I watch...  :veryangry  :veryangry  :veryangry
killerp

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:47 am

Octsky » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:26 am wrote: i still hope the best for rogers and the team.
hope that he can prove me wrong.

Mate I don't think there 's a single member amongst BR's critics who want's anything but the best for BR and the team. Personally I want BR to succeed and be with us indefinitely. The brand of attacking football played under him has been fantastic. Where the gripes and the criticism begins for most people is the issue of the teams defensive frailty. It's a frailty that was apparent ALL of last season, many of us didn't make too much of a fuss about it then as we were outscoring most teams week in and week out but the problems in our defence were there for everyone to see and it's something that our manager imo has failed to successfully address in terms of personnel and perhaps even more tellingly, tactics.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:24 am

Last season the defence and tactical naivety lost us the league title. Rodgers inflexibility and lack of respect he shown to Mourinho in the Chelsea game was a joke. Like I've said a million times, we only needed to draw, so to set up to win against the best defensive side in the league, who were going to come to anfield to defend and rely on our every match mistake to win the match was naive in the extreme. We should have set up in a similar fashion to Chelsea and made it hard for them to score. For me, the Palace result was completely irrelivant, had we beat Chelsea we'd have won that game as well, but we blew the title when we failed to take a point at home to Chelsea.

People like Yakka are absolutely obsessed with the defence having cover infront of them and Mascherano type of player. The fact is, thats not essential. When you have players like Moreno, Skrtel, Mignolet and Sahko in your defensive line you're going to struggle to keep clean sheets. The personel at the back has needed addressing with top players bringing since last season. Instead, Rodgers believed that signing Lovren, who is a good player but was hugely over priced, Manquillo (a kid with little experience) Sahko (an over priced Traore impersonator) playing Skrtel the liability every week and also allowing Agger and Reina to leave would somehow sort out the shambolic defence. What we needed was two centre backs and a top quality right back and a top goalkeeper like Begovic.

Moreno is a player you could get away with providing the rest of the back five us upto standard, but unfortunately there are too many weak links. For some reason, Moreno is playing and costing us goals when a far better left is sat on the bench every week.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:44 am

Stu the Red » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:24 am wrote:Last season the defence and tactical naivety lost us the league title. Rodgers inflexibility and lack of respect he shown to Mourinho in the Chelsea game was a joke. Like I've said a million times, we only needed to draw, so to set up to win against the best defensive side in the league, who were going to come to anfield to defend and rely on our every match mistake to win the match was naive in the extreme. We should have set up in a similar fashion to Chelsea and made it hard for them to score. For me, the Palace result was completely irrelivant, had we beat Chelsea we'd have won that game as well, but we blew the title when we failed to take a point at home to Chelsea.

People like Yakka are absolutely obsessed with the defence having cover infront of them and Mascherano type of player. The fact is, thats not essential. When you have players like Moreno, Skrtel, Mignolet and Sahko in your defensive line you're going to struggle to keep clean sheets. The personel at the back has needed addressing with top players bringing since last season. Instead, Rodgers believed that signing Lovren, who is a good player but was hugely over priced, Manquillo (a kid with little experience) Sahko (an over priced Traore impersonator) playing Skrtel the liability every week and also allowing Agger and Reina to leave would somehow sort out the shambolic defence. What we needed was two centre backs and a top quality right back and a top goalkeeper like Begovic.

Moreno is a player you could get away with providing the rest of the back five us upto standard, but unfortunately there are too many weak links. For some reason, Moreno is playing and costing us goals when a far better left is sat on the bench every week.

FFS the Chelsea game??? What a shock how dared we lose to Chelsea? How Dare Gerrard slip like that? Where was LS the magnificent at this game? Can't you see how ridicules you are? So BR got his tactics wrong against Mourinho so fcking what? He got it right the rest of the time and that is what counts. FFS lack of respect...Oh my what a winning argument.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion