Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Homebooby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 am

All with little drama as well...Very few we wanted and missed out on....those that we did didn't seem to want to come and we stayed in the driving seat all the way throughout.......what a f***in shambles.......
Homebooby

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Homebooby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 am wrote:All with little drama as well...Very few we wanted and missed out on....those that we did didn't seem to want to come and we stayed in the driving seat all the way throughout.......what a f***in shambles.......

I don't see the problem. We have a history of making legends out of relative unknowns.

I defy anyone to tell me they wanted to sign the likes of Sami Hyypia, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia, Daniel Agger, Danny Murphy. To name a few.

They all were under the radar signings that either came from poor domestic leagues or were young up and coming players (not recognised as world class by any stretch).Yet they succeeded and we accepted them because we have faith in the management.

I see no difference to life under Rodgers.

Just as in previous years no all signings turned out good but we have always uncovered diamonds in the rough.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:12 pm

without doubt (Suarez sale aside) one of our best transfer windows in recent years. We've enriched the squad considerably, but given ourselves the bonus of being able to slowly integrate the players, with a decent starting 11 from last year.

Losing Suarez was a blow, but he's helped us rebuild the squad and 75million wasn't bad business for a guy banned for 4 months.  :glare:

I agree, the central defence looks a little rocky, but that'll improve as we get a regular CB pairing. The full back positions look much better and i'm really excited about our new midfield options.

The only challenge now is to shift some of the deadwood. Lucas, Johnson (last year of contract) and Borini all need to go. Sadly, Borini is determined to make a go of it, Johnson is on loony wages and Lucas is unwanted by anyone. Even on loan.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:33 pm

7_Kewell » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:12 pm wrote:without doubt (Suarez sale aside) one of our best transfer windows in recent years. We've enriched the squad considerably, but given ourselves the bonus of being able to slowly integrate the players, with a decent starting 11 from last year.

Losing Suarez was a blow, but he's helped us rebuild the squad and 75million wasn't bad business for a guy banned for 4 months.  :glare:

I agree, the central defence looks a little rocky, but that'll improve as we get a regular CB pairing. The full back positions look much better and i'm really excited about our new midfield options.

The only challenge now is to shift some of the deadwood. Lucas, Johnson (last year of contract) and Borini all need to go. Sadly, Borini is determined to make a go of it, Johnson is on loony wages and Lucas is unwanted by anyone. Even on loan.

I couldn't have written it any better, well said Kewell  :nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:41 am wrote:
Homebooby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:54 am wrote:All with little drama as well...Very few we wanted and missed out on....those that we did didn't seem to want to come and we stayed in the driving seat all the way throughout.......what a f***in shambles.......

I don't see the problem. We have a history of making legends out of relative unknowns.

I defy anyone to tell me they wanted to sign the likes of Sami Hyypia, Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia, Daniel Agger, Danny Murphy. To name a few.

They all were under the radar signings that either came from poor domestic leagues or were young up and coming players (not recognised as world class by any stretch).Yet they succeeded and we accepted them because we have faith in the management.

Just as in previous years no all signings turned out good but we have always uncovered diamonds in the rough.

Spot on, Coutinho, Hendo and Sturridge all fall into that bracket and hopefully Can, Markovich and Moreno will to and if BR can sort out Mario then we could make him another £75m player in a couple of years
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:40 pm

My post was a positive one….the last statement was meant to be ironic :)
Homebooby

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:02 am

Homebooby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 am wrote:All with little drama as well...Very few we wanted and missed out on....those that we did didn't seem to want to come and we stayed in the driving seat all the way throughout.......what a f***in shambles.......

I wonder what your attitude is now.... still taking the p!ss out of me calling it a shambles? ???
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:03 am

Boocity » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:35 pm wrote:

Spot on, Coutinho, Hendo and Sturridge all fall into that bracket and hopefully Can, Markovich and Moreno will to and if BR can sort out Mario then we could make him another £75m player in a couple of years

Hey don't forget to add Djimi "Bambi on Ice" Troare and Igor the fuckin' Biscan...Champions League Winner!  :bowdown
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:48 am

Thought this might be the place place to post my comment about the clubs debts and FFP, if not Ed, i'd appreciate  it if you could move it to the correct area. Anyway, qualifying for the CL last season and the increased  TV cash  that we received will have resolved a lot of the debt at our Club. Also, the fact we are back in the CL this season means the club  are on a somewhat better financial footing. However, LFC will still have a FFP problem, but if we can  (it's a must) stay in the CL for the next 3 -5 years going forward, then we should be alright. Bringing players to the club has to be done extremely wisely,and managed sensibly and responsibly. The spending on players might  have to be curtailed a little to ensure FFP does not hit the Club.

Maybe a couple of the players we bought were not required, e.g. We have Courtinho and Suso, but bought in Lallana. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a good player, but when will he give the likes of Suso a chance, and some of the other youngsters from the Academy like BR said he would. I see no point in selling or loaning them out then spending millions when some of the youngsters could have done the job. We very much required quality not quantity. I do hope BR wasn't panicked into bringing some of the players to the Club.

Additionally, don't forget that we have a transfer committee. I believe  FSG did not trust BR with spending  owing to the farce created last time with the purchases of Aspas, Alberto et al, so they setup a transfer committee to sort everything out with regards buying players etc, with BR getting the final say.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

We need to be a bit more hard nosed about some of the players we dont want, stop loaning out players we know arent going to make it and also make it quite clear to others there future lies elsewhere, Borini and Lucas spring to mind. We seem to be stuck with players on good contracts who don't want to leave and we cant get rid of them and on the other side have players like Suso who due to not getting any game time are running their contracts down and will go on a free.

I do agree with your point about FSG not trusting BR, if we are brutally honest many mangers make mistakes in the transfer market but BR has spent a lot of money on some pretty ordinary players. However the transfer committee isnt exactly setting the world alight is it. We still seem to be shopping at Aldi and not Waitrose.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:58 am

Yep, exactly, it's  mostly Aldi all the way,with sprinklings of M&S. Also, Like you Boocity, I'm really not sure about the transfer committee. I don't know who is part of it, but they need to get it together. At the end of the day though, we have these players so let's hope they can do it for us and take us to the top.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:06 pm

Maybe we should qualify it a bit, they want M&S & waitrose at Aldi prices :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:26 pm

Look, everyone is concerned about the way we've been playing lately but let's remember how far we have come in a short space of time. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that we had a string of mid table finishes and the height of our ambition in the transfer market was Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulson and a clearly past it Joe Cole.
We are in a slump and no one is denying it but it's nothing that we can't fight our way out of, for example some of the best football I have ever seen from a Liverpool side was at the end of Brendan's first season when Luis was banned over the Evra incident. With Sturridge and Coutinho leading the way we inflicted upon Newcastle their heaviest home defeat since 1925 and we also turned on the style to give an exhibition away at Fulham (when Danny got his first premier league hat trick). We could have put 10 past both those teams on the day.
Those 2 players are still at the club, okay one is injured and one is out of form but it won't stay that way forever.
We also have on our books some of the most exciting young players in Europe (Sterling, Markovic etc)
With a few tweaks to our system and one or two players back firing on all cylinders again and we'll soon be a match for anyone. Yes our start is concerning but certainly no reason to start pressing the panic button and calling for the managers head as one or two have done.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:26 am wrote:Look, everyone is concerned about the way we've been playing lately but let's remember how far we have come in a short space of time. It was only 3 or 4 years ago that we had a string of mid table finishes and the height of our ambition in the transfer market was Paul Konchesky, Christian Poulson and a clearly past it Joe Cole.
We are in a slump and no one is denying it but it's nothing that we can't fight our way out of, for example some of the best football I have ever seen from a Liverpool side was at the end of Brendan's first season when Luis was banned over the Evra incident. With Sturridge and Coutinho leading the way we inflicted upon Newcastle their heaviest home defeat since 1925 and we also turned on the style to give an exhibition away at Fulham (when Danny got his first premier league hat trick). We could have put 10 past both those teams on the day.
Those 2 players are still at the club, okay one is injured and one is out of form but it won't stay that way forever.
We also have on our books some of the most exciting young players in Europe (Sterling, Markovic etc)
With a few tweaks to our system and one or two players back firing on all cylinders again and we'll soon be a match for anyone. Yes our start is concerning but certainly no reason to start pressing the panic button and calling for the managers head as one or two have done.

Nice post...Won't fly with some of the instant trophy fans here...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Don't disagree with you. We need BR take a good look at whats going wrong, what changes need to be made and has the conviction to make the difficult decisions that will take us forward
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion