SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby devaney » Sat May 31, 2014 9:02 am

Stu I actually favour somebody that can consistently get the ball in the back of the net which even you will agree, I think, is the hardest thing to do in football. Sturridge does that and also provides a decent number of assists. What you are suggesting is that Pedro who would probably score fewer goals but would create more. That maybe true but are we going to score more goals than our record haul last season. There is a reason why Barca are prepared to sell Pedro. Barca by their standards had a relatively poor season. They actually won nothing. Financially Barca and Real Madrid are a country mile ahead of the other teams in La Liga which perhaps makes their season look even worse. Just how hungry would Pedro be. That is one of Sturridges major strengths. He is absolutely starving for success. Ignore the stats as much as you like but the fact remains that Pedro only had one more assist in an easier league than Danny and if I am reading you correctly that is where you are suggesting his strengths are.

Liverpool is more about synergy than simply buying so called world class players. United came seventh last season not because of the quality of the players but because they didn't play as a team.

Of course I don't want to see us stand still but putting Sturridge on the bench certainly would not be a priority. We must have greater strength in depth going into the CL. You basically want the goalkeeper and the entire back four binning off and that is the area that we should be concentrating on initially. I don't think it requires the same level of major change that you're insisting on but yes it has got to be improved. We haven't got the money of Chelsea and City so we have got to be more prudent. Pedro, Lallana and Can would be great but it doesn't solve the problem of our dodgy defence and can we afford them all?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat May 31, 2014 10:36 am

Pedro is a wide forward, it would allow us a more normal and natural shape for him to play instead of Sturridge. He is also a far better player than Sturridge will ever be and has more to his game. You come across as very stat orientated... I would much rather judge a player on ability and on a team basis rather than numbers stats or form as over 38 games better players will win you points.

Pedro would add to our quality up top, also he would give us more depth we need so badly.

Lallana is a better player than Henderson and can play in coutinhos position too as well as wide, he will add quality and depth. Both would be fabulous signings that would push us on a level.

We desperately need a right back, Richards would fit the bill nicely and at least one top centre half too. My opinion on the keeper won't change. Begovic is the answer. If we get those five players we will win the league next year regardless who anyone else gets. Any less and we could stagnate or go backwards.

The potential Lambert signing may prove decent business... However I feel he is more of happy with what we have mentallity type and thats not something I'd ever advocate unless money was extremely tight, we know this summer we should be making a statement or two
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 pm

"I want you to start using your hands to keep the ball out of the net
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Poor distribution

Poor decision making

Ok-ish shot stopping

Cost us a soft goal again tonight

Not good enough for us
Kopite-Jud

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:50 pm

Is there a 28 day return on Reina?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 pm

What the hell was he thinking coming out for that one?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:12 pm

It's too easy to blame Mingolet for that goal, it was like Fred Karno's infront of him with Gerrard and Lucas going AWOL and Lovren throwing himself about in desperation again.
That goal wasn't the only time they carved us open, they should have scored when that fella hit the post and Moreno made a miracle tackle when Gerrard dropped the defence in the shyte as well.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 pm wrote:It's too easy to blame Mingolet for that goal, it was like Fred Karno's infront of him with Gerrard and Lucas going AWOL and Lovren throwing himself about in desperation again.
That goal wasn't the only time they carved us open, they should have scored when that fella hit the post and Moreno made a miracle tackle when Gerrard dropped the defence in the shyte as well.

When it comes to goalies, I always tend to put as little blame as I can on them because I always believe that they're the last players to be blamed for anything but that was just a horrible decision and I believe that we wouldn't have conceded if he didn't come out like that. In fact, I even think that Lovern would have covered it if Mignolet wasn't out in no mans land. Both the CB's and the DM's fell asleep and they're far from blameless, but I think the goal would have been avoided if Mign didn't make that bad decision to come out.

EDIT: Looking at it again, Lovren had no idea what he was doing himself either, so he didn't have it covered at all, but Henderson did. So still Mign is very much to blame for that.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:24 pm

damjan193 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:12 pm wrote:It's too easy to blame Mingolet for that goal, it was like Fred Karno's infront of him with Gerrard and Lucas going AWOL and Lovren throwing himself about in desperation again.

When it comes to goalies, I always tend to put as little blame as I can on them because I always believe that they're the last players to be blamed for anything but that was just a horrible decision and I believe that we wouldn't have conceded if he didn't come out like that. In fact, I even think that Lovern would have covered it if Mignolet wasn't out in no mans land. Both the CB's and the DM's fell asleep and they're far from blameless, but I think the goal would have been avoided if Mign didn't make that bad decision to come out.

EDIT: Looking at it again, Lovren had no idea what he was doing himself either, so he didn't have it covered at all, but Henderson did. So still Mign is very much to blame for that.

It wasn't a horrible decision it was a split second one, the goal we conceded against City was probably a factor in his decision because he's already seen Lovren struggle in a similar situation so he's obviously thought I'll have to come out here and help him out. He got it wrong but that can happen when you're making a split second judgement call.
I'd much rather see him be pro active and react to things than be glued to his line like he usually is.
Incidentally I thought his handling and general play looked a lot better today, he caught crosses instead of flapping at them and he just looked a lot more composed than usual.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:03 am

Hes pants and makes Westerveld look like Buffon, awful awful goalkeeper
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm

It's pretty simple for me.

He's good at the stuff he doesn't need to think about and poor at the stuff he needs to think about.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ballotelliman » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm

whats happening with victor valdes. know hes had knee trouble would be ideal.  Mignolet reminds me of ben foster will make some great saves but then make a clanger.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:59 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:36 pm wrote:It's pretty simple for me.

He's good at the stuff he doesn't need to think about and poor at the stuff he needs to think about.

:laugh:
seriously though, i thought he'd have cut half this sh!t out by now  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am

He's exactly as I and most others called it last season. A very average premier league keeper. The mistake the other night was woeful goalkeeping.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:02 am

His role in the Bulgarians goal really drives home how ridiculous it was to get rid of Reina ,it simply beggars belief we sold a keeper who would have afforded us Champions League experience.  :glare:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion