CL: Liverpool V Ludogorets Tue - Sep 16th KO 19:45

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby killerp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:07 am

Never started a match thread before but I see nobody has been arsed to do this one. Our glorious return to the prestigious European competition after an extended period out in the wilderness , I have to say it's been too long.

Shame that we had to endure Villa at home before this game but what better place to recover from that defeat and spread a bit of joy back into the masses but beating a team from the old soviet block.

can't say i know anything about this team, When i first heard the name of this team this is the first image that popped into my mind

here's the official wiki:

Ludogorets is a Bulgarian football club based in Razgrad, which currently competes in A Group, the top division of the Bulgarian football league system. The club was founded in 2001 as Ludogorie Football Club. It adopted its current name from one of the first football clubs in the town, founded in 1945 and dissolved in 2006. In their first season in A Group, Ludogorets became only the third Bulgarian team, after CSKA Sofia and Levski Sofia, to achieve a treble by winning the league, the Bulgarian Cup and the Bulgarian Supercup. Subsequently, the club also made a significant impact in the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League, where it reached the round of 16. Ludogorets are the second Bulgarian team (after Levski Sofia) to reach the group stage of the Champions League, a feat which they achieved during the 2014/2015 season.

From our perspective we need to seriously man the f**k up and hit the ground running for this one. The title looks as far away as ever at home so getting further into the CL is a must.

Team News:

Midfielder Joe Allen will miss Liverpool's Champions League opener against Ludogorets as he has not recovered from a knee injury.
Forward Raheem Sterling will start after being dropped to the bench for Saturday's Barclays Premier League defeat at home to Aston Villa, but Allen misses out along with fellow midfielder Emre Can (ankle), striker Daniel Sturridge and defender Glen Johnson (both thigh).

Winger Lazar Markovic is suspended, while centre-back Martin Skrtel is still a week away from fitness.

My Line up

Mino
Manquillo                 Louren             Toure            Moreno

Henderson            Lucas

Lallana                    Coutinho                      Sterling

Super Mario

have I lost my mind? Starting Toure & Lucas, can we do any worse with what we have available? Who is worse Sahko or Toure? I Sh*t my pants when either of them play but I figure give Sahko a rest and maybe he will perform better for the next game.

Gerrard I would only sub in as an attacking player in the second half for this one if we need it, take off Coutinho and play Gerrard in a more effective role if plan A fails if the first half.

Starting Lucas is lack of options for rotation if we had Can fit he would be my 1st choice, followed by Allen.

I'd even think about playing two strikers up front but Borini & Lambert look hopeless.

I say 2-0, Mario finally opens his account for LFC  :buttrock
killerp

Postby Santa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am

I'll say it's time to experiment dropping Gerrard now...but then he'll post likely be the first name in the team sheet so there you go  :glare:
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:58 am

Santa » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:37 am wrote:I'll say it's time to experiment dropping Gerrard now...but then he'll post likely be the first name in the team sheet so there you go  :glare:

Not a chance and I don't see why it shoudl even be considered.

Gerrard's ability to impact the game as he used to may very well be declining but the one competition where his experience will bring clear value is the CL.

Gerrard's rotation will come in cup games and safe home league games.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am

Gerrard should be rotated in the prem where the pace of the game is so quick and his lack of mobility more of an issue, I'd actually play him in all the cup competitions including the CL where the standard is high but the pace of the games a bit slower.
Btw this game is absolutely massive, forget the games against Madrid - they will be great occassions but our destiny in the group will be largely decided by what we do against Ludogorets and Basel not Madrid, we can actually lose both games against Real but still go through if we win all our other games so this one may not be glamorous but it's critical.
We haven't really played well in 3 of our opening 4 fixtures but this game gives us an opportunity to put the Villa debacle behind us and build some confidence for the weekend, IMO we have one of the most exciting young squads in European football we just need to tweak a few things to find a system that works. With the likes of Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Moreno, Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli, Henderson etc in our squad there is no doubt in my mind that at some point we will click into gear it's just a question of when, obviously the sooner it happens the better. We played really well at a tough place like White Hart Lane so we know a great team is in there somewhere.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 am

Gerrard's rotation will come in cup games and safe home league games.[/quote]

We have nine new players, most of which are starting or coming on as subs. With so many new faces we wont have many "safe" games this season as we struggle to incorporate all of them and work out their strengths and weaknesses.

How we manage Gerrard may decide wether we will be able to progress in any competition. If he breaks down right now we are screwed with Lucas as his backup.
killerp

Postby andy_g » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:05 pm

killerp » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:00 am wrote:
How we manage Gerrard may decide wether we will be able to progress in any competition. If he breaks down right now we are screwed with Lucas as his backup.

can, and henderson, and lucas can all fill the role peformed by gerrard. this still allows us to select from can, or henderson, or lallana, or coutinho, or markovic, or allen, or sterling for other midfield spots. i'm not too worried.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:49 pm

I would make a few changes tonight.

Any one of our players should be good enough to compete against this side

I would rest Moreno lovren Gerrard Henderson and ballotelli

Mig

Manquillo
Toure
Sakho
Enrique

Allen
Lucas
Coutinho

Markovic
Lambert
Sterling

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:51 pm

we should field the best side available for tonight. after the villa game its clear that they need more minutes together on the field.

mingolet
                        manquillo           lovren         sakho        moreno

gerrard

hendo                     coutinho               markovic/lallana

sterling          balotelli

if flanno and skrtel are fit then id turf manquillo and sakho from that 11. rotation needs to be our friend but not so early in the season. we need an established team every week with minimum changes as that was one of our strongest points last season.
this lot are probably the weakest team in the competition so its important we show our pedigree against them
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ballotelliman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:13 pm

its gona be the balotelli and sterling show tonight.  hat-trick for balotelli    :buttrock
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:04 pm

LFC1990 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:49 am wrote:I would make a few changes tonight.

Any one of our players should be good enough to compete against this side

I would rest Moreno lovren Gerrard Henderson and ballotelli

Mig

Manquillo
Toure
Sakho
Enrique

Allen
Lucas
Coutinho

Markovic
Lambert
Sterling

I like your thinking, but agree with other posters that our best 11 need more time together. At most, I'd rest Gerrard, no one else.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:19 pm

Yep, I agree, Gerrard should be rested. The team need to start playing without Gerrard a bit more now. SG is at the age where he'll be less affective on the pitch as time goes on. The team will have to get used to that and start preparing for the day he retires. Don't get me wrong, SG is still a good player, however, he can't be in the team the whole season imo, as he'll run out of steam. Maybe Can, when he gets back to fitness, can do a similar job to Stevie.

Anyway, Come On Redman, please get at least 5 goals today.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:30 pm

Job done   :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby ballotelliman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:14 pm

great line-up  i was gona say id like to see the new strikers lpaired up together. See how balotelli plays with either lambert or borini. you just never know which combination will workout best .
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Confirmed team news:

Mignolet, Manquillo, Moreno, Lovren, Sakho, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Lallana, Balotelli

Subs:  Jones, Enrique, Toure, Lucas, Suso, Borini, Lambert.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:56 pm

Get fookin' IN there lads....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games