Mario Balotelli

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 pm wrote:
aCe' » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm wrote:I thought he did well and the shape of the side looks a million times better with 2 upfront and Sterling playing 'in the hole' with freedom and space to run both on and off the ball. I think the one thing we didnt see which will be extremely important for us with regards to his performances was his movement off the ball on the counter attack.

Too early to judge but I was (cautiously) impressed with his attitude in that first game.

We certainly didn't look as toothless up front as we did against City that's for sure.
I'd like to see us try and shoehorn at least one more creative player into the line up though, if we dropped Gerrard it would be pretty easy but that won't happen. Maybe Lallana could do Allens job in midfield? He's not as good defensively as Joe but he'd bring a bit more to the table offensively whilst still giving us a certain amount of work rate -

Gerrard

Henderson                                       Lallana

Sterling

Balotelli               Sturridge

Gerrard is lucky to be regarded as practically undroppable by the manager, especially when you consider the talent we have sitting on the bench now.

I'd go for that lineup too (maybe give Markovic/Coutinho a shot at the Lallana role for a bit to see if they fit). I'm not sure Allen is good enough to start for us regularly. I hear what you are saying about what he brings to the side (for me it's more his pressing especially higher up the pitch rather than his defensive qualities further back) but if that's the sort of player we want in the side (tactically) then we'll need to bring someone in sometime soon to fill the role if Lallana & Markovic fail to prove to be capable of doing it.

On Gerrard, I think he's fast becoming one of our more underrated players. He does a tonne defensively, gets more touches than anyone on the pitch, and for someone required (by his role and instructions from Rodgers I'm sure and not just his preference) to play as many long balls to contribute to our direct attacking style, his pass percentage is incredible. I know he was sloppy on the ball last time out but defensively it was one of his better performances and I thought he showed what he brings to the side.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:38 pm wrote:
aCe' » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:40 pm wrote:I thought he did well and the shape of the side looks a million times better with 2 upfront and Sterling playing 'in the hole' with freedom and space to run both on and off the ball. I think the one thing we didnt see which will be extremely important for us with regards to his performances was his movement off the ball on the counter attack.

Too early to judge but I was (cautiously) impressed with his attitude in that first game.

We certainly didn't look as toothless up front as we did against City that's for sure.
I'd like to see us try and shoehorn at least one more creative player into the line up though, if we dropped Gerrard it would be pretty easy but that won't happen. Maybe Lallana could do Allens job in midfield? He's not as good defensively as Joe but he'd bring a bit more to the table offensively whilst still giving us a certain amount of work rate -

Gerrard

Henderson                                       Lallana

Sterling

Balotelli               Sturridge

Gerrard is lucky to be regarded as practically undroppable by the manager, especially when you consider the talent we have sitting on the bench now.

Driving home just now and gave a thought to possible starting XI and I got this exact one. I think this will work but possibly less cover for Gerrard at the bottom tip of the diamond
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 am

A little late, but... I like this signing. Relatively speaking, quite cheap and hopefully Brendan can do wonders with the arm around the shoulder and slap to the face (when needed).

Balotelli will no doubt get suspended at some point, probably for red cards, but I seriously do not think he will be suspended for any length of time (like suarez). I'm pretty sure he has a good injury record. He has the talent, that just leaves his 'head'. I think our manager is the man to sort that.

Welcome Mario and remember where you are.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

Balotelli does get injured or suspended then we could always switch to the triangle up top..

Sterling                 Markovic

Sturridge

I think we have so much cover that we can switch so many formations around, its exciting.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:57 am

I agree. Make a really pleasant change from looking at the bench and wondering what can that lot do ????
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Mario Balotelli reportedly kicked a Wolves player in the head and got subbed off in a closed friendly today.

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:31 pm

So it begins then...
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:59 pm

I may have jumped the gun on this one... looks like some reporters were stirring.... Daily Mail - Balotelli was involved in a 50-50 challenge with a Wolves player. No altercation took place & he was substituted soon after.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Glad to see he's not ducking out of any 50/50's, even in training.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:18 pm

This is an interesting read from an Italian Journo, just published within the last hour....

When news broke that Liverpool’s interest in Mario Balotelli was going from the famous ‘monitoring’, to a firm bid, the amount of excitement it that grew amongst the Anfield faithful was a level above any other transfer I can remember.

The likes of Xabi Alonso, Luis Suarez and Fernando Torres where all huge successes at Liverpool, but none arrived with the worldwide reputation that can rival the Italy international.

Perhaps his reputation has a part to play in that. His bad boy image has been a big part of his career, whether it’s been a red card or letting off a firework, one thing that is certain with Balotelli, it is never quiet when he is around.

Just yesterday Liverpool played a behind closed doors friendly against Wolves. Liverpool won 1-0 with a goal from Adam Lallana, but the big talking point was Balotelli. As photos emerged of the game, there were some of Balotelli being spoken to by the referee, and a rumour started that he had kicked an opposition player in the head. He didn’t, he went in for a normal 50-50 tackle and caught the player. No more, no less. If it was any other player it wouldn’t have been mentioned, but when you have a reputation, negative rumours will surface from time to time.

At Liverpool, Balotelli will receive more support than he could wish for. If he plays as well as his potential suggests he can, he will be idolised and worshipped by the Anfield faithful, and who better to bring out his potential than Brendan Rodgers? A young, attack minded coach, who has improved and got the best out of countless individuals since he took the helm at Liverpool in the summer of 2012.

It really is all there for Balotelli. He is part of a young, exciting squad playing in the best league in the world, and participating in the Champions League. Brendan Rodgers also has a potentially world class talent on his hands. Pace, power and a great eye for goal, Balotelli has everything a striker needs to be a success, and another thing a lot of people were impressed on his debut was his work rate. He worked very hard, tracking back and closing down defenders, this is the side of his game which will change the most under Rodgers.

When a fee of just £16m was agreed with Italian giants AC Milan, Liverpool supporters were asking ‘what’s the catch?’. Looking around Europe at some of the prices players have been transferred for this summer, Balotelli seems an absolute steal, and if it goes right, the 24 year-old could be worth double that amount in a very short space of time.

This week he posted a video on his Facebook account of the Liverpool faithful singing his new song during his debut at Tottenham. Since his move to Anfield, Balotelli’s Instagram has been updated almost daily, all posts relating to Liverpool FC. When the club release photos from the squads training sessions, he is always smiling and laughing, and he seems to have improved the team spirit, rather than invoke disharmony. The number 45 has settled quickly, and seems just as happy as the fans that he is a Liverpool player.

He wasn’t picked for the recent Italian national squad, but instead of going on holiday after the clash with Tottenham, he stayed on Merseyside to do extra training at Melwood, the clubs training complex, which shows a great attitude.

It’s only been a few weeks, but the start of Balotelli’s time at Anfield has been very encouraging. He’s settled in very well, and is also interacting frequently on social media with the supporters who are right behind him. Everything is there for his time at Anfield to be a great one.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:41 pm

cardiff-red » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 pm wrote:This is an interesting read from an Italian Journo, just published within the last hour....

When news broke that Liverpool’s interest in Mario Balotelli was going from the famous ‘monitoring’, to a firm bid, the amount of excitement it that grew amongst the Anfield faithful was a level above any other transfer I can remember.

The likes of Xabi Alonso, Luis Suarez and Fernando Torres where all huge successes at Liverpool, but none arrived with the worldwide reputation that can rival the Italy international.

Perhaps his reputation has a part to play in that. His bad boy image has been a big part of his career, whether it’s been a red card or letting off a firework, one thing that is certain with Balotelli, it is never quiet when he is around.

Just yesterday Liverpool played a behind closed doors friendly against Wolves. Liverpool won 1-0 with a goal from Adam Lallana, but the big talking point was Balotelli. As photos emerged of the game, there were some of Balotelli being spoken to by the referee, and a rumour started that he had kicked an opposition player in the head. He didn’t, he went in for a normal 50-50 tackle and caught the player. No more, no less. If it was any other player it wouldn’t have been mentioned, but when you have a reputation, negative rumours will surface from time to time.

At Liverpool, Balotelli will receive more support than he could wish for. If he plays as well as his potential suggests he can, he will be idolised and worshipped by the Anfield faithful, and who better to bring out his potential than Brendan Rodgers? A young, attack minded coach, who has improved and got the best out of countless individuals since he took the helm at Liverpool in the summer of 2012.

It really is all there for Balotelli. He is part of a young, exciting squad playing in the best league in the world, and participating in the Champions League. Brendan Rodgers also has a potentially world class talent on his hands. Pace, power and a great eye for goal, Balotelli has everything a striker needs to be a success, and another thing a lot of people were impressed on his debut was his work rate. He worked very hard, tracking back and closing down defenders, this is the side of his game which will change the most under Rodgers.

When a fee of just £16m was agreed with Italian giants AC Milan, Liverpool supporters were asking ‘what’s the catch?’. Looking around Europe at some of the prices players have been transferred for this summer, Balotelli seems an absolute steal, and if it goes right, the 24 year-old could be worth double that amount in a very short space of time.

This week he posted a video on his Facebook account of the Liverpool faithful singing his new song during his debut at Tottenham. Since his move to Anfield, Balotelli’s Instagram has been updated almost daily, all posts relating to Liverpool FC. When the club release photos from the squads training sessions, he is always smiling and laughing, and he seems to have improved the team spirit, rather than invoke disharmony. The number 45 has settled quickly, and seems just as happy as the fans that he is a Liverpool player.

He wasn’t picked for the recent Italian national squad, but instead of going on holiday after the clash with Tottenham, he stayed on Merseyside to do extra training at Melwood, the clubs training complex, which shows a great attitude.

It’s only been a few weeks, but the start of Balotelli’s time at Anfield has been very encouraging. He’s settled in very well, and is also interacting frequently on social media with the supporters who are right behind him. Everything is there for his time at Anfield to be a great one.

A nice read
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Actually the media over reaction to what was nothing more than a run of the mill 50/50 challenge just demonstrates how the press are positively falling over themselves to try and engineer a story about Mario even when one doesn't exist.
If the whole episode proved anything it's don't believe a word the press write about Mario.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:15 am

Whilst we shouldn't pay too much attention to the media who will try and break Balotelli we must also
understand the club has its own agenda and why we saw the propaganda pics of him getting on so well
in the first week of training.

Rodgers has pretty much admitted this boy could be anything and the club will be prepared for it.

Personally I don't think Liverpool is the same without a guy like this on the books and we would miss
the drama with a side full of lads without emotion, not representative of the people.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ballotelliman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:02 pm

just a question will new manager  Antonio conte  of italy continue to leave mario out of the italian squad. The reason  simone zaza who for a while ive thought that kid if given a run of games could be a great striker. i know juventus had to sell him for financial reasons but does anyone think keeping mario out the italy squad could work in our favour as i know he loves being part of the national team. So he may have to try harder to get back in the national team.
ballotelliman
LFC Member

Postby C-R » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 pm

ballotelliman » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:02 pm wrote:just a question will new manager  Antonio conte  of italy continue to leave mario out of the italian squad. The reason  simone zaza who for a while ive thought that kid if given a run of games could be a great striker. i know juventus had to sell him for financial reasons but does anyone think keeping mario out the italy squad could work in our favour as i know he loves being part of the national team. So he may have to try harder to get back in the national team.

He wasn't left out, he was suspended for the Norway match
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion