Liverpool V Spurs - Sun Aug 31st - 1.30pm Kick Off

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby damjan193 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:11 pm

I get what you're saying mate but I don't think that that team will slip up against Spurs. I don't think that Balotelli will be match fit to start either, but I'll hope that we see him as a second half substitute. Also, it isn't a home game, we're playing away.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:23 pm

damjan193 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm wrote:I get what you're saying mate but I don't think that that team will slip up against Spurs. I don't think that Balotelli will be match fit to start either, but I'll hope that we see him as a second half substitute. Also, it isn't a home game, we're playing away.

Oh yeah my bad. In which case it is even more important to have a big strong striker capable of bullying/pressuring defenders in their own back yard.

Also Serie A starts this weekend, he wasn't injured and would have been training to start the game anyway. I don't buy the lack of match fitness argument.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:49 pm

Coutinho has to sit this one out after the pile of ***** he served against City. I dont think we'll see a change at the back and in the middle of the park we're sure to see Gerrard and Henderson feature again. Further up both Sterling and Sturridge are looking undroppable. Leaves us with a decision to make regarding the formation.

Our choices are: Diamond (large parts of last season), 4-3-2-1 (what we seem to be playing now)

I'd definitely go for the diamond with Balotelli playing the Suarez role.

4-1-2-1-2 Diamond

Pros: Worked very well last season. Offers us the most continuity tactically and has been proven to get the best out of both Sturridge and Sterling. Also gives us a better platform to play the direct style with 2 upfront and Sterling running from deeper central areas.

Cons: Back 4 dont get as much protection. Fullbacks have more responsibility down both ends.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:23 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am wrote:
damjan193 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:11 pm wrote:I get what you're saying mate but I don't think that that team will slip up against Spurs. I don't think that Balotelli will be match fit to start either, but I'll hope that we see him as a second half substitute. Also, it isn't a home game, we're playing away.

Oh yeah my bad. In which case it is even more important to have a big strong striker capable of bullying/pressuring defenders in their own back yard.

Also Serie A starts this weekend, he wasn't injured and would have been training to start the game anyway. I don't buy the lack of match fitness argument.

I think there's a difference between beginning of the season match fit, and injury or fatigue match fit. Players usually start off a bit shaky despite being well-rested when they haven't played at the highest level, so I think Balo will very likely lack match fitness in that sense.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby killerp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 am

Does Lallana make the bench for this one?

Love to see Markovic from the start, he can replace Coutinho.
killerp

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am

ethanr » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:23 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 am wrote:

I think there's a difference between beginning of the season match fit, and injury or fatigue match fit. Players usually start off a bit shaky despite being well-rested when they haven't played at the highest level, so I think Balo will very likely lack match fitness in that sense.

I still don't get what leaving him out of the starting line up is going to achieve then?

He not going to get more match sharpness at training is he?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:16 pm

He definitely needs to play, I guess the question at hand is whether or not he should start. We have so many attacking players, and a few are in quite a similar situation as him. Will be interesting to see how BR incorporates the likes of Balo, Markovic and Lallana these next few weeks (Lallana is available this weekend, right?)
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RedAnt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:37 pm

I reckon Balotelli will be on the bench. We're usually (in my view) overly cautious with new signings and young players. A shame really because we have a decent history of unleashing talent on unsuspecting victims. I often wish we'd have a bit more of a 'swim or sink' attitude. For me it's still the best way to learn.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:50 pm

RedAnt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:37 am wrote:I reckon Balotelli will be on the bench. We're usually (in my view) overly cautious with new signings and young players. A shame really because we have a decent history of unleashing talent on unsuspecting victims. I often wish we'd have a bit more of a 'swim or sink' attitude. For me it's still the best way to learn.

Rodgers started Sturridge immediately. I cannot see why he would not do the same for Balotelli.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:00 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:37 am wrote:I reckon Balotelli will be on the bench. We're usually (in my view) overly cautious with new signings and young players. A shame really because we have a decent history of unleashing talent on unsuspecting victims. I often wish we'd have a bit more of a 'swim or sink' attitude. For me it's still the best way to learn.

Rodgers started Sturridge immediately. I cannot see why he would not do the same for Balotelli.

I hope he starts. I'm quite confident about this match. I'd defo play Sturridge too though. It'd not be good to drop/rotate Sturridge for him.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby C-R » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:05 pm

Johnson, Skrtel, Coates and Moreno all absent from training today. Agger, Flanagan, Assaidi too, of course.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:11 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm wrote:

That was against Mansfield in the F.A cup though, bit of a difference between them and Spurs away. Let's not forget as well that before last season White Hart Lane was right up there with the Britannia as our least favourite place to visit, our last win at both those places came best part of a decade ago. That may come into Brendan's thinking.
I hope your right and he is bold with his selections though, part of our strength last year was that we went after teams and tbh I don't think our midfield/defence is good enough to shut up shop against a half decent side away from home anyway.
We need to be aggressive just like last year and go and get the win, we certainly don't want to be sitting on a record of P3 L2 over the two week international break.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 pm

I would go with this option

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Potentially our bench on Sunday could include Balotelli, Markovic/Coutinho, Lallana and Lambert.

Last season we had Aspas and Moses.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:04 pm

Mick - what are you trying to say? And you've left out Can  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)