CL draw in Monaco

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes! I was hoping we get Ludogorets, I can actually go see that one!

Anyway, we have an OK group I guess, we should be able to go through this one. We could have got group C, which would have been the best, but then again, at least we didn't get group A.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 pm

The lowdown on the clubs the Reds will be facing on their return to Europe

Liverpool have been drawn to face holders Real Madrid, Swiss champions Basel and Bulgarian outfit Ludogorets Razgrad in Group B of the Champions League.

Here is a closer look at the three sides the Reds will be facing as they return to European football's premier club competition for the first time since the 2009-10 season.

Real Madrid

What they’re about: The 10-time winners of the European Cup have a squad to make the rest of Europe envious. It is a side full of superstars which Carlo Ancelotti has the task of moulding into some sort of structure, but with a front four of Cristiano Ronaldo, James Rodriguez, Gareth Bale and Karim Benzema, it’s hardly difficult.

Star player: Cristiano Ronaldo. It says it all that he just gets the nod ahead of two of the most expensive footballers in history. But nobody can deny what Ronaldo brings, playing anywhere across the front line and creative havoc. Arguably the best player in the world.

How they qualified: Although finishing third in La Liga to rivals Atletico Madrid and Barcelona, their participation comes as Champions League holders after a 4-1 extra time win against Atletico in Lisbon.

Sum up in 140 characters: New Galacticos on another planet at times but Atleti slayed this giant. Open wounds from Mourinho yet to heal but Ronaldo and Bale are glue.

Last time: The Reds beat Real 5-0 on aggregate in 2008/09 after a tight win at the Bernabeu and smashing them at Anfield.

It was always bound to happen because... they're the reining champions!

Fear factor: A much different proposition to when the Reds last travelled to face them, Liverpool would have to be on their best to get something from either games. But Liverpool's attack would be a match for a sometimes suspect defence. 5/5.

Basel

What they're about: The top side in Switzerland for the past decade, with seven titles in 10 years. A strong academy and even stronger scouting system has seen them perform not only domestically but also in Europe; Xherdan Shaqiri, Granit Xhaka, Valentin Stocker and Hakin Yakin are among those to have graced St Jakob-Park recently.

Star player: Walter Samuel. The former Roma, Real Madrid and Inter Milan defender has chosen to see out his career in the Swiss Super League. A strong, no-nonsense Argentine, Javier Zanetti once heralded his Argentine team-mate as the hardest player he ever played with.

How they qualified: Another Super League title for Basel with a seven-point gap between themselves and Grasshopper Zurich. They also scored more than any other team and possessed the best defence.

Sum up in 140 characters: Boom boom. Swiss champions elect who won't be easy to brush aside; nothing faulty about recent European exploits. Armed with cheese graters.

Last time: The Reds were knocked out of the Champions League group stage by the Swiss side in 2002. After a draw at Anfield, they travelled to Switzerland on the final matchday needing a win to qualify. After falling 3-0 behind, Gerard Houllier's side mounted a comeback and got it back to 3-3 – but were ultimately eliminated.

It was always bound to happen because... Liverpool owe Basel following elimination from the 2002/03 Champions League. Also a chance for the prodigal son, Philipp Degen, to return to Merseyside.

Fear factor: Basel may not be as strong as they have been recently – they reached the Europa League semi-finals in 2013 - but still possess Serey Die in midfield, while captain Marco Streller is a handful up front. But Paolo Sousa has work to do. 2/5.

Ludogorets Razgrad

What they’re about: A club only formed in 2001, Ludogorets have enjoyed a rapid rise through the ranks of Bulgarian football, becoming only the third team to win the domestic treble (after CSKA Sofia and Levski Sofia) in 2014. They have also won three consecutive Bulgarian titles.

Star player: Marcelinho. A 30-year-old diminutive midfielder who joined the club in 2011 as their rise to the top of Bulgarian football began. Wearing the no.84 on his shirt, he provides the skill and class in the side, and was named the league's best foreign player in 2013.

How they qualified: After topping the table after 26 games - the first phase - Ludogorets stormed to the title in the second phase, winning the title by 12 points. They eliminated F91 Dudelange of Luxembourg before a surprise win over Partizan in the third qualifying round.

But they saved the best until last against Steaua Bucharest, scoring a last-minute goal to take it into extra-time before defender Cosmin Moti saved two penalties in the shoot-out after replacing his red-carded goalkeeper in extra-time. Roy of the Rovers stuff.

Last time: Liverpool have never met Ludogorets in a competitive game.

Miles from Liverpool: 1,867

Fear factor: A complete unknown for Liverpool, and most of European football - but they beat Lazio in the Europa League last 32 before bowing out to Valencia, and now have momentum following fairytale qualification. Cannot be taken too lightly if they got through. 1/5.
Last edited by C-R on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Women's football WTF? Can it be any better than mens 4th division? What is the world coming to?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:02 pm

Forgot Ancelotti was at Madrid. We should let them go 3-0 up in both games just for a laugh.  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kukilon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Good draw for us.

Regarding womans footie. We beat a top division side in Sweden 5-0 at the age of 13-14. We had a pretty crappy team from a town with the population of 2000. Swedens women national team ranked around top four in the world at the time.
Kukilon
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:33 pm

Ludogorets were founded in 2001, just 3 years before Chelsea.  :p
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kazza » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm

Kukilon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:06 pm wrote:Good draw for us.

Regarding womans footie. We beat a top division side in Sweden 5-0 at the age of 13-14. We had a pretty crappy team from a town with the population of 2000. Swedens women national team ranked around top four in the world at the time.

That's fine and dandy but as a football fan it is poor quality to watch. I'd rather watch the best example of something than a compromise to be politically correct. I'd watch women's syncronised swimming but have no desire to watch men's  :grinning:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm

RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm

With the money we've spent in this transfer window we should be asking serious questions about BR's future if we don't qualify from this group .

I guess we all expect Madrid to top the group, although that's not written in stone, and if memory serves Basle aren't exactly mugs BUT the draw has given us a fantastic opportunity to progress beyond the group stage.

(In terms of qualifying for the knock out stages I actually think that Arsenal have a tougher task than we do   :D  )

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 pm

stmichael » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:33 pm wrote:Ludogorets were founded in 2001, just 3 years before Chelsea.  :p

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 am

Great draw I was expecting a lot worse  and entertaining Real Madrid at Anfield after being out of competition for far too long seems almost poetic

As long as we smash them by 2 or 3
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:45 am

woof woof ! » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:09 pm wrote:With the money we've spent in this transfer window we should be asking serious questions about BR's future if we don't qualify from this group .

I guess we all expect Madrid to top the group, although that's not written in stone, and if memory serves Basle aren't exactly mugs BUT the draw has given us a fantastic opportunity to progress beyond the group stage.

(In terms of qualifying for the knock out stages I actually think that Arsenal have a tougher task than we do   :D  )

Thats a bit harsh mate.  Madrid are 10 time champions and Basle have always proved to be a tricky opponent.

I'm quietly confident though that we will steamroll Madrid in both ties and top the group.   :D
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am

To take you up on your point Woof, it seems BR hasn't bought badly, the lads he's bought this window seem to be to be upgrades and wisely bought in terms of not wasting (too much) money. Where people might criticise him is his slowness to sell off the dead wood which is hitting our wage bill and not repaying debts. All managers buy some duffs, Rafa was champion of that when he first arrived but I'd say so far so good for BR. We just need to convert tasty players into a team that is greater than the individual component parts.

I'd rather be in BR's position squad wise than Van Gaal's for example.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:40 am

Reg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:59 am wrote:To take you up on your point Woof, it seems BR hasn't bought badly, the lads he's bought this window seem to be to be upgrades and wisely bought in terms of not wasting (too much) money.

I'm not criticising BR's signings Reg (save that for another thread  :D ) I'm simply of the opinion that with the amount of money invested into the squad plus the fact that we've received the benefit of a pretty reasonable CL draw I now expect us to progress beyond the group stage.

My reference to asking questions about BR's future if we fail to qualify is made because I believe with the squad we now have at our disposal we should qualify from this group and only poor decisions from the management would prevent it.

At present it's all moot anyway Reg. I'm sure the players and BR's performance will receive their fair share of analysis once the group stage actually kicks off.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Reg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

Ok your points are taken Woof but at the same time folks need to bear in mind that the team needs to establish itself post-Suarez then add to that, an influx of possibly 4 or 5 new first teamers who will have to find their way not just with a new club, but like I said, one thats also trying to create a new format to overcome the loss of a 30 goal talisman. Does the focus of play switch to serving Balotelli, or should the focus remain on having Sterling cutting in and expanding his role further? BR has a big puzzle on his hands and the Citeh and Spurs games have come very early, before he's had time to trial his different options. Good to see at least that the RM games are out in end October and beginning of November. I might come over for the RM game in Madrid. I smell a party.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion