MARTIN SKRTEL - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:33 pm

kazza » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:55 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:31 pm wrote:St Michael what planet are you on? We've conceded more goals than palace and hull for f*ck sake. We could be the first team ever to win a title with a shocking defence. One thing is for sure. If dont win it, it won't be due to the forwards

Looks like we are going to score 100 goals for the season, it is just the way we play. To single out Skrtel as the reason is laughable. Mistakes have been made defensively throughout the team all season, if you want to split hairs all are guilty including Gerrard. Despite or " shocking defence" we still have a goal diff of 51 ( second to City that spent half a billion pounds). 

Skrtel is much better as a defender than you give credit, including he scored more goals than Torres (a 50 million squid striker) this season. It is not rose tinted glasses Stu, it's clarity and a desire to enjoy the ride rather than duelling on the negative.

All neutrals want us to win as we are the most entertaining team in Europe, why can you not give those players that were a huge part of the journey a break. It is about the ride stu not the destination. Let's say we do not win, I would rather have enjoyed the ride than assumed it was all going to collapse. Now let's say we do win it  :buttrock  I would rather have enjoyed the ride rather than assumed it was all going to collapse ( we need a yoga smiley).

Stu repeat after me " WOOSA"

Good post, I'm going to enjoy it no matter what happens (I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't stop thinking about it though!!  :D )
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:40 pm

i cant fault skrtel at all this season, he has been fantastic despite everyone claiming he is a weakness and a liability with his grabbing. truth is that he is a no nonsense centre half who stands strong and gets stuck in. yesterday kompany was using fernandinho as a battering ram to try and gain an advantage in the box from set pieces and its takes a strong lad to stand up to that. we would be pushed aside everytime if it wasnt for him.
every one seems to think sakho is now the doggys balls but in truth he's a liability at times with his lunging and hesitation. that tackle on dzeko yesterday was sunday league stuff and could have cost us a pen and his dismissal. even still most on here want him and A.N.OTHER to lead us into the CL next season  :laugh:
without a shadow of doubt this has been skrtels finest year for us and fully deserves to hold on to his place in next years set up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Martin Skrtel Believes Liverpool Defenders Aren't Solely Responsible for Title Failure

Martin Skrtel is insistent that Liverpool's whole squad must take responsibility for the failure to win the Premier League last season, not just defenders.

Speaking to the Daily Mirror, the Slovakian centre-back admitted that missing out on the title had been "difficult to get over", especially given the fact that their destiny was in their own hands before a defeat by Chelsea in April and a 3-3 draw with Crystal Palace in the penultimate game of the season.

The club's talented front line helped produce a total of 101 Premier League goals, but the 50 conceded was more than any other in the top half of the table except for Tottenham. It was arguably what cost the club a first title in 24 years, but Skrtel thinks the whole squad is culpable.

The 29-year-old lamented, “Obviously it hurt but it’s not only about the back four, it’s about the team and defending as a group."

He continued by saying, “Because we conceded 50 goals, some people are blaming the back four, but it isn’t just about the back line, it is about defending as a team and that’s the big thing that we need to improve.

“If we do that we will stop people from talking about the defence. If we can do that and also cut out some of the individual mistakes it will make a big difference.”

“We are a team that likes to attack and a lot of players like to get forward so that is maybe something that we need to work on because not everyone can go forward, sometimes you have to defend too."

"We will work on it and try to improve it. As players we are not happy with that record but we know the direction we were going in as a team last season and we will try to improve on that in the new one.”

“It was sad and disappointing but we need to recognise that it was still a great season. We have to forget about what went wrong towards the end, take the positives from everything we achieved and look forward to the new season.”
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:19 pm

he has a point, to a degree, as our midfield was overrun far too often. i'm sure martin will get a lot of flack for those statements all the same.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:47 pm

What a kop out of an excuse. Nearly half of the goals conceded were down to individual errors, not team shape. He was embarrassingly bad. He scored four own goals, his positioning is a disgrace, he looked woeful next to Lovren the other day too.

Oh well!Yay Skrtel! :no
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:45 pm

Some reports going around that he has been offered a new deal
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:55 pm

Good news

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:52 am

Martin has become a very important player for us. He has a great attitude and is very brave. Hasn't had many brainfarts recently either. I like that whenever there's a scuffle then Skrtel is involved, usually as peacemaker. Big fan of this guy.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:18 pm

this fella has been absolutely fecking massive for us recently. somebody buy him a pint.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:37 am

For all the recent talk about what's bad at the club I'm surprised more tribute hasn't been paid to this lad. He's probably in the best form of his career. Long may it continue.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:02 pm

Massive blow losing him today.  As someone who is recovering from a concussion I would be very disappointed with the club if Martin is allowed anywhere near the pitch for at least 3 weeks.

I've had a few concussions over the years from my ice hockey days.  If I had laid low for just a few days extra I would have recovered much better and been less likely to get hurt again.  I also would have been less prone to typing run on sentences.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:07 pm

The Good Yank » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:02 pm wrote:Massive blow losing him today.  As someone who is recovering from a concussion I would be very disappointed with the club if Martin is allowed anywhere near the pitch for at least 3 weeks.

I've had a few concussions over the years from my ice hockey days.  If I had laid low for just a few days extra I would have recovered much better and been less likely to get hurt again.  I also would have been less prone to typing run on sentences.

If he is out for any length of time it could be a serious blow to our hopes of finishing in the top 4, he has been the glue that has held our back 3 together.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:33 pm

If he has concussion then he shouldn't be allowed near the pitch for a few weeks.  :no If we do play him though then we cannot pull him from the internationals so it might be best if we leave him out till Arsenal on the 4th.

He will be missed  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:44 pm

I thought they said it was nothing serious and that he's fine, should be back on the next training session. The docs aren't daft, they wouldn't let him back right away if he had a concussion.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:47 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
damjan193 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:44 pm wrote:I thought they said it was nothing serious and that he's fine, should be back on the next training session. The docs aren't daft, they wouldn't let him back right away if he had a concussion.

Mild concussion can see him playing next game.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion