SEBASTIAN COATES - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 am

SouthCoastShankly » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:01 pm wrote:Dry your eyes son.

Just pointing out the alternative sensible point of view

Seriously lad ,it would take someone a lot more adept at trolling than your good self , however, it seems at the very least I can now assure you of my complete
indifference to your future retorts.....So I suppose we've made a modicum of progress.  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 am

Meanwhile

Liverpool Echo online
BR praises Coates

Brendan Rodgers has praised the contribution of Sebastian Coates during Liverpool FC's pre-season after the Uruguayan's return from a long injury lay-off.

Coates missed the entirety of last season at Anfield after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament when on international duty in August 2013, moving to Nacional on loan in January to aid his recovery.

The 23 year old's future has been in doubt following the £20m signing of Dejan Lovren – but the Reds boss believes he has shown his qualities over the pre-season period.

“He is a player that played in the team when I first came into the club, he played in some of the league games and European games, then was out of the team,” said Rodgers.

“He was very unfortunate to have had a bad injury which put him out for a while, but he went away on loan last season, got himself fit again and he's come back and done really well at pre-season.

“He's done very, very well. He's a big boy but he can play football. Lovely touch, lovely technique but he can pass the ball, and he can be aggressive.”

Coates started in Rodgers first league home game against Manchester City but only made 12 appearances that season.

After recovering from injury and forcing his way into Uruguay's World Cup squad this summer, Rodgers concedes the player may not receive a satisfactory amount of playing time at Liverpool.

“He's been at the club for a few years and the question has to be asked whether he gets enough games that will satisfy his own personal need, because he's a talent,” added Rodgers.

“He's a real good guy as well, a humble man, never cries about not playing and accepts as a professional he won't play in every game.

“But he's worked hard to get fit after his injury last season, he now looks fit and he's done well in the games so we'll see what the rest of the summer holds.”

I've always thought Coates had something to offer us, the fella just hasn't had a proper opportunity (e.g. run of games) to show us what that something is.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:41 pm

woof woof ! » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:50 am wrote:Meanwhile

Liverpool Echo online
BR praises Coates

Brendan Rodgers has praised the contribution of Sebastian Coates during Liverpool FC's pre-season after the Uruguayan's return from a long injury lay-off.

Coates missed the entirety of last season at Anfield after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament when on international duty in August 2013, moving to Nacional on loan in January to aid his recovery.

The 23 year old's future has been in doubt following the £20m signing of Dejan Lovren – but the Reds boss believes he has shown his qualities over the pre-season period.

“He is a player that played in the team when I first came into the club, he played in some of the league games and European games, then was out of the team,” said Rodgers.

“He was very unfortunate to have had a bad injury which put him out for a while, but he went away on loan last season, got himself fit again and he's come back and done really well at pre-season.

“He's done very, very well. He's a big boy but he can play football. Lovely touch, lovely technique but he can pass the ball, and he can be aggressive.”

Coates started in Rodgers first league home game against Manchester City but only made 12 appearances that season.

After recovering from injury and forcing his way into Uruguay's World Cup squad this summer, Rodgers concedes the player may not receive a satisfactory amount of playing time at Liverpool.

“He's been at the club for a few years and the question has to be asked whether he gets enough games that will satisfy his own personal need, because he's a talent,” added Rodgers.

“He's a real good guy as well, a humble man, never cries about not playing and accepts as a professional he won't play in every game.

“But he's worked hard to get fit after his injury last season, he now looks fit and he's done well in the games so we'll see what the rest of the summer holds.

I've always thought Coates had something to offer us, the fella just hasn't had a proper opportunity (e.g. run of games) to show us what that something is.

likewise woof.
will he play him ahead of sakho or lovren though ?. personally id rate him around the same level as sakho but a lot more composed and therefore less of a liability. given the fees we paid for the other 2 and by some of brendans comments there id say he wont be here next season unless someone picks up an injury that will keep them out for a while.
id rather if he is going then its a loan and to a club in the prem.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:28 pm

He's behind Lovren - Sakho (our best CB partnership by a mile imo), Agger, Skrtel, and Toure (we rejected a bid from Trabzonspor for him to my surprise). Being 6th choice will do his development no good. Same could be said about the like of Llori and Suso who wont be getting much of a chance at first team football if they stay.

Imo, he's currently nowhere near good enough to play for us. Much like Skrtel, his positioning and concentration levels let him down quite regularly and getting a bit of experience at top level would show whether he could one day develop into a top CB or not. If we can send him out on loan to a side in the division it would do his development a tonne of good.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:46 pm

Like ace said, we're apparently going to keep Toure so I don't know what's going to happen with Coates. It would have been great for him if we had Sakho and Lovren as first choice, Skrtel as second and Coates and Ilori battling for third choice (assuming Agger leaves), but if we keep Toure than I can't see Coates getting too much game time.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:02 pm

I'm still trying to get my head around him being dropped for the United game earlier ,he looks far more comfortable than either Sakho or Skrtel with the ball at his
feet also his distribution from the back was a key point for the team going forward,I thought we badly missed his composure on the ball against United. Sakho looks
so indecisive when he's bringing the ball out from the back and Skrtels positioning is at times seriously array.... I'm hoping that last nights capitulation at the back
brings Coates back into contention for the games ahead.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alxy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 am

Our biggest defender in terms of height 6'6" I believe. Which won't count for squat if he doesn't show the skills to match. But on the other hand, if he improves himself, then he already has the physical attributes to dominate defence. Think Agger would be the next to go, so he would probably be around 4th/5th choice (behind Lovren, Skrtel, Sakho and possible Toure). I think he will get games this season. So far I have been impressed with him in pre-season. Hope he carries that confidence into this season. Bear in mind our defence tends to get injuries so he could be playing some first team football if circumstances work that way.
alxy

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:26 pm

The few games I saw Coates play, I thought he was utter shyte. For what it's worth...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby C-R » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:14 pm

Interesting.. in our behind closed doors friendly with Burnley this afternoon, Coates is playing the holding role in midfield
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:09 pm

cardiff-red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm wrote:Interesting.. in our behind closed doors friendly with Burnley this afternoon, Coates is playing the holding role in midfield

There are some suggestions that we are playing with 3 at the back against Burnley as well. Brendan experimented with that formation a couple of times last season (without much success I seem to remember) but it does seem to be coming back into vogue again, Van Gaal for instance used it at the World Cup (and against us in pre season) with some success.
In theory it might suit us, 3 at the back allows you to flood the midfield and to fit more attacking players into your starting XI.
We are at our most effective playing a 4-3-3 but when you consider our current attacking options (Sturridge, Markovic, Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Lambert) picking just 3 of those will leave a lot of talent on the bench.
Another reason why 3 at the back might suit us is that we have a lot of CB's who can pass the ball well, a lot of teams are put off playing that style because their defenders aren't comfortable on the ball but we don't have that problem.
It would be a lot easier to carry Gerrard playing with 3 at the back as well because with more numbers in and around the midfield area he wouldn't be so exposed and It would suit Agger too.
It might be worth thinking about.
Here's an attacking version of the 3 at the back that we could play against some of the lesser lights of the division at home, it allows us to get Sturridge, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho in the team at the same time, obviously away from home you could flood the midfield with the likes of Can and Allen etc.

Mingolet

Sakho/Skrtel       Lovren          Agger

Gerrard         Hendo

Sterling                      Lallana                   Markovic

Coutinho

Sturridge
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:09 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm wrote:Interesting.. in our behind closed doors friendly with Burnley this afternoon, Coates is playing the holding role in midfield

There are some suggestions that we are playing with 3 at the back against Burnley as well. Brendan experimented with that formation a couple of times last season (without much success I seem to remember) but it does seem to be coming back into vogue again, Van Gaal for instance used it at the World Cup (and against us in pre season) with some success.
In theory it might suit us, 3 at the back allows you to flood the midfield and to fit more attacking players into your starting XI.
We are at our most effective playing a 4-3-3 but when you consider our current attacking options (Sturridge, Markovic, Sterling, Lallana, Coutinho, Ibe, Lambert) picking just 3 of those will leave a lot of talent on the bench.
Another reason why 3 at the back might suit us is that we have a lot of CB's who can pass the ball well, a lot of teams are put off playing that style because their defenders aren't comfortable on the ball but we don't have that problem.
It would be a lot easier to carry Gerrard playing with 3 at the back as well because with more numbers in and around the midfield area he wouldn't be so exposed and It would suit Agger too.
Here's an attacking version of the 3 at the back that we could play against some of the lesser lights of the division at home, it allows us to get Sturridge, Sterling, Markovic, Lallana and Coutinho in the team at the same time, obviously away from home you could flood the midfield with the likes of Can and Allen etc.

Mingolet

Gerrard         Hendo

Coutinho

Sturridge

Sorry yakka but that would never work in a million years. We'd get ripped to shreds by any side with decent wide players.

If you were looking at a 3-5-2 the wide players would need to be wing backs. Sterling could POSSIBLEY fill the right sided role but I think would be wasted.

Gerrard could play in back three as a sweeper, I've mentioned this time and time again and for what its worth I think he'd be really good at it, especially as he doesn't have the legs to track anymore.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:33 pm

You don't play it against sides who have decent wide players though, you play it against teams who have come here with the sole intention of getting a point. After last season a lot of teams will see a point at Anfield as a good result and they will probably use Chelsea's display against us last May as a blueprint.
It's going to be pointless having 7 or 8 defensive players on the pitch (a keeper, back 4 and 2 holding midfielders) when the opposition won't hardly venture outside their box (which was Mourinho's so called  'master plan').
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:42 pm

I've always thought that any formation with 3 at the back would fit our style. It's nothing new though, Juventus have successfully played with three at the back for years.

+1 for CB (or sweeper actually) Gerrard Stu, I've said the same thing myself. With him as sweeper he'd be able to distribute the ball from deep while he won't have to chase players through midfield when we're defending but would rather sit back and wait for them to come to him, block shots and clear the ball. This is the formation that comes first to mind:

Mignolet

Lovren    Gerrard    Sakho

Flanagan        Henderson          Can       Moreno(?)

Coutinho

Sturrige      Sterling

Or something like that. I would consider using Henderson as a right wing-back.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:54 pm

damjan193 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:42 pm wrote:I've always thought that any formation with 3 at the back would fit our style. It's nothing new though, Juventus have successfully played with three at the back for years.

+1 for CB (or sweeper actually) Gerrard Stu, I've said the same thing myself. With him as sweeper he'd be able to distribute the ball from deep while he won't have to chase players through midfield when we're defending but would rather sit back and wait for them to come to him, block shots and clear the ball. This is the formation that comes first to mind:

Mignolet

Lovren    Gerrard    Sakho

Flanagan        Henderson          Can       Moreno(?)

Coutinho

Sturrige      Sterling

Or something like that. I would consider using Henderson as a right wing-back.

The problem with that formation though mate is that we will have £50m worth of attacking talent sitting on the bench in the shape of Lallana and Markovic (and that's without mentioning the likes of Lambert and any new potential signings). We would be repeating our old mistake of not getting enough of our transfer outlay actually running around on the pitch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:09 pm wrote:

Mingolet

Gerrard         Hendo

Coutinho

Sturridge

I see what you mean and there is sense in that. I think Raheem would easily make that work but would not want Markovic in that system untill I knew for a fact he had Sterling's tenacity, not sure he does. I still like 433 more
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion