GLEN JOHNSON - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:19 am

I cant believe he gets a game for England. I'm really starting to question my own eyes due to him. Can someone please enlighten me as to what he's actually good at apart from giving the ball away?

He's not even got any real pace anymore. Has to be one of the worst players to play for Liverpool and England. Amused me the other week when he put on Twitter that people who questioned him were clueless, as I thought that summed up just about every performance he's had in the last few years.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Paul C » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I'd agree Stu, never been a Johnson fan, he can't defend and he gets sucked into the middle ALL THE TIME, plus he's on big wages so I'd bin him off and give Flanno/Kelly a proper go.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:36 pm

Paul C » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:39 pm wrote:I'd agree Stu, never been a Johnson fan, he can't defend and he gets sucked into the middle ALL THE TIME, plus he's on big wages so I'd bin him off and give Flanno/Kelly a proper go.

With us reportedly interested in signing a left back (Moreno) and a CB (Lovren) I can't see us getting a right back as well, I think Johnson and Flanno will fight it out for the right back slot next season.
Good to see you posting again mate.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:45 pm

It's not going to happen, we won't sign a new RB, I think the club already said so.

On the bright side, a new RB would stall the development of our youngsters such as Flanagan, Wisdom and McLaughlin. I don't expect Johnson to do any better next season so it would be a good opportunity for these kids who clearly have the potential.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:09 pm

While trawling through an old thread trying to find 'proof' that I used to rate Emmanuel Eboue (which I still deny Stu!) I found the following post I made....posted RE the potential Glen Johnson signing.....

Mick if we go anywhere close to 17 mil for this guy Rafa needs a slapping.  I understand everyone has their own opinion of Johnson and that's fair enough, but I really don't rate the lad at all.  I think he can look good, even excellent at times for Portsmouth (as he also did for West Ham), but as soon as he's put in a team like Chelsea or England with all the expectations and pressure he freezes and doesn't perform well.

You could argue that he has matured as a player since his Chelsea days and that may be the case.  But I still think he's a liability defensively, even at Portsmouth where he is getting rave reviews, and I think his mistakes would be highlighted much more if he was at a big club.

I hear these arguments that Johnson is an England international.  The fact is that if Arbeloa was English he'd probably be first choice right back.

.... Even if I did rate Eboue (which I didn't!  :laugh: ) this spot-on assessment makes up for it :nod
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:24 pm

There is a rumor going about social media that if we sign the the spanish fullbacks that Glen will be going back to West Ham, bit of a weird one as they just got Carl Jenkinson, unless of course they will deploy him on the left

Personally happy to drive the guy to london myself he has lost what he once had
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 pm

I never am negative towards a Liverpool player unless he shows a lack of commitment and effort. I was against Cisse, Kewell and now Johnson. Nothing worse to me than seeing a player lose possession and then raise his arm up to his team mates rather than giving everything he has to try and correct his mistake. I'll accept a player like Kuyte all day long with all his limitations but will never accept a player like Johnson who does not give a sh1t, on a salary no one will match and just counting the days until his contract runs out so he could be off for free. I actually thought that being in the shop window this year we would get the best of him but it seems obvious that years of no effort have eroded his skills so now even when he trys he can't. Without 100% commitment old age creeps up on you before you know it. Dump him as he is by far the weakest link in the chain.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:11 pm

kazza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 pm wrote:I never am negative towards a Liverpool player unless he shows a lack of commitment and effort. I was against Cisse, Kewell and now Johnson. Nothing worse to me than seeing a player lose possession and then raise his arm up to his team mates rather than giving everything he has to try and correct his mistake. I'll accept a player like Kuyte all day long with all his limitations but will never accept a player like Johnson who does not give a sh1t, on a salary no one will match and just counting the days until his contract runs out so he could be off for free. I actually thought that being in the shop window this year we would get the best of him but it seems obvious that years of no effort have eroded his skills so now even when he trys he can't. Without 100% commitment old age creeps up on you before you know it. Dump him as he is by far the weakest link in the chain.

So.....what are you trying to say? :D
I agree by the way, I cringe when I see his name on the teamsheet.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby parchpea » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:57 pm

If he does go, and its still a big if, Flanagan could switch over there in his natural position and fight it
out with the other kid from Atletico Madrid, certainly both will be keen as punch, scrap it out.

That to me is better than one prima donna, with absolutely no awareness of danger around him. He
was good enough when we signed him but now are moving into the top 4 and Champs League its the
Chelsea dilemma, not up to it.

All this is assuming we sign a left back with that Moreno seemingly the No 1 target.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 am

bunglemark2 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 pm wrote:
kazza » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:01 pm wrote:I never am negative towards a Liverpool player unless he shows a lack of commitment and effort. I was against Cisse, Kewell and now Johnson. Nothing worse to me than seeing a player lose possession and then raise his arm up to his team mates rather than giving everything he has to try and correct his mistake. I'll accept a player like Kuyte all day long with all his limitations but will never accept a player like Johnson who does not give a sh1t, on a salary no one will match and just counting the days until his contract runs out so he could be off for free. I actually thought that being in the shop window this year we would get the best of him but it seems obvious that years of no effort have eroded his skills so now even when he trys he can't. Without 100% commitment old age creeps up on you before you know it. Dump him as he is by far the weakest link in the chain.

So.....what are you trying to say? :D

Maybe we should give him another chance  :upside:
:D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:08 pm

If we're really looking to sell Johnson then I guess I could understand the signing of the Atletico kid. If we're bringing in a new RB then some of the ones we already have has to go and Johnson is definitely the one. I'd rather keep an injury prone Kelly than keep Johnson.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 am

I noted on one occasion vs City, he got forwards to attack, never received the ball and didn't even bother to get back onside, never mind back in position. He's really upsetting the balance of the team and I hope BR has noted it.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:44 am

RedAnt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 am wrote:I noted on one occasion vs City, he got forwards to attack, never received the ball and didn't even bother to get back onside, never mind back in position. He's really upsetting the balance of the team and I hope BR has noted it.

not so sure he will ant, he has spent a whole summer chasing a left back when it was obvious to everyone johnson has been a problem for a while. its rare that he has a good game.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:04 pm

I don't like to 'wish' injuries on players, but a spell on the sidelines for Johnson would be welcomed by most fans. The only reason Glen is still here is due to his ludicrous wage and no one else will pay him that amount. Hence the fact he's winding down his contract. He'll be gone in the summer.

Until then, our right back should consist of Flanno or Manquillo. Not Johnson...not ever.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:35 pm

Johnson was poor again but he wasn't to blame for any of the goals, maybe he should have went with his head when he tried to keep the second one out on the line but he wasn't the one caught out by Jovetic's back heel.
Never the less looking at the likes of Moreno, Markovic and Can running around last night you do sense there's a changing of the guard in the air.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion