LIVERPOOL v Olympiacos    Sun 27th July    11.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:55 pm

almost as bad as Brad Jones (bungle)

Emre Can looking decent with the high tempo pressing, seems to glide
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:59 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:55 pm wrote:almost as bad as Brad Jones (bungle)

Emre Can looking decent with the high tempo pressing, seems to glide

I would put Reina in there for Jones.....make him #2
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby C-R » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:04 pm

agreed matey

did you read that Bayern Munich linked with a 4 million deal for Pepe in todays press, seems cheap to me
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:11 pm

At the risk of repeating myself.....Glen Johnson is utterly, utterly muck !
bunglemark2

Postby C-R » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:12 pm

Yuuup, should have just hit that ffs
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 pm

unlucky Markovic...
bunglemark2

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:18 pm

Enrique and Johnson are pretty cack....very ominous for the season ahead.....
bunglemark2

Postby mramo » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 pm

Markovic is a workhorse. Reminds me of suarez and kuyt combined. Persistent all over the pitch and drops back to defend, amazing pace but finishing will improve in the future.
mramo

Postby damjan193 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't get the criticism of Enrique but Johnson is terrible as usual. The others look good though. Markovic definitely looks interesting. Hopefully that shot was for show though and would finish better in the future.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 am

Not a bad game for a friendly. We looked good at the back and Skrtel was my MOTM. Our front line wasn't as good as we're used to but Olympiacos was happy to sit back even though they were a goal down the entire game.

Jones, Kelly, Coates, Gerrard, Can, Markovic, Sterling all played pretty well. Johnson was terrible and Sturridge wasn't his best.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ethanr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:47 am

I thought overall we were pretty terrible, maybe either than Markovic. He looked pretty decent, and I wish he could have stayed on longer. Sterling was pretty decent too.

We looked slow and sluggish. Unable to put proper pressure while on defense, and unable to deal with the pressure while on offense. Lambert looked out of place and oafish, but clearly has great control of the ball with his body and head.

We were outplayed and won by a goal that was lucky on many levels, so hopefully we start coming together in the next couple games.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 am

Maybe you were watching a rerun of some other game there Ethan. They barely had half a chance at our goal and they were happy to sit back for most of the game, not taking any risks. We were pretty solid defensively, bar the mistake by Lucas. For a friendly I though we did well. Also, Olympiacos are no mugs, they're the champions of Greece and reached the last 16 in the CL last season.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:05 am

Overall a good workout ,Coates top man in the back four ,finally looks like the providing the class  and finesse we originally bought him for ,the final 15 minutes he
stopped everything and his distribution was first class throughout. Markovic looked frightening when he got to run with the ball at his feet and he's battler without
it ,which are all good signs.....Although the same worrying signs with Johnson looking as clueless and as hapless as ever ,but at least  Kelly looks up for the fight.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 am

damjan193 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:55 pm wrote:Maybe you were watching a rerun of some other game there Ethan. They barely had half a chance at our goal and they were happy to sit back for most of the game, not taking any risks. We were pretty solid defensively, bar the mistake by Lucas. For a friendly I though we did well. Also, Olympiacos are no mugs, they're the champions of Greece and reached the last 16 in the CL last season.

I was worried by the number of corners we gave away, and I'm almost positive they out-possesed us. Neither team looked like scoring at all, but I think they challenged our keeper more than we did theirs. I know they aren't a bad team, but it's the type we'd face early in the CL (if we're lucky), and putting up performances like this won't get us out of the group.

I will say our defense did actually play alright, considering we had Johnson in there playing as a 12th man for Olympiacos. We didn't concede despite the many corners and free kicks in our half, but offensively we looked very stale.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 am

damjan193 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 pm wrote:Maybe you were watching a rerun of some other game there Ethan. They barely had half a chance at our goal and they were happy to sit back for most of the game, not taking any risks. We were pretty solid defensively, bar the mistake by Lucas. For a friendly I though we did well. Also, Olympiacos are no mugs, they're the champions of Greece and reached the last 16 in the CL last season.

I thought Olympiacos controlled the midfield myself, all our chances seemed to come from counter attacks and they were the better side IMO.
I defended Glen Johnson last season but he looks just about done as a top flight player, we looked much better when Kelly came on. Kelly seems to have regained some of his pre injury pace and sharpness and his extra height came in handy especially in the last 10 minutes when he made a couple of vital headers.
Enrique's recovery pace saved our @rses on a couple of occassions in the first half too, we missed him last year.
Gerrard like Johnson is living on his reputation, he just potters about in front of the back 4 and if his name was Joe Bloggs instead of Steven Gerrard people would be saying drop him he brings nothing to the table. In the first half his lack of athleticism was highlighted by the likes of Henderson and Can who really pressed well.
Over all I was bit disappointed that we didn't put them under any sustained pressure but we did look phenomenally quick on the counter attack, Markovic will be a great signing IMO.
Wednesdays game against City will give us more of an indication where we are at. With us playing them so early in the season no one will want to lose that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games