Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby C-R » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:50 pm

Lovren and Origi will be unveiled @ 10pm on Liverpool TV
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:57 pm

cardiff-red » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:Lovren and Origi will be unveiled @ 10pm on Liverpool TV

Another £30m spent on average players.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:10 pm

The repeated use of the phrase 'marquee signing' is increasingly making me want to headbutt the wall.

WTF does it mean??

An International player? A big name (if so then in whose eyes?)? A household name? A big money buy?  All of these??

A fking flavour of the month media bullsht phrase that we shouldn't be encouraging, but instead leaving its use to the plastic wnkers supporting the likes of City and Chelsea.

The best players we've signed in recent years I don't think anyone would have considered to be a 'marquee signing' at the time - Alonso, Hyypia, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Hamann, Reina.  Torres was brilliant for us and is probably the only one who would have been considered a 'marquee signing' at the time who worked out.  Other big name signings such as Morientes and Kewell got the fans excited at the time but failed to deliver.  Carroll signed for massive money and look what happened there.  Downing signed for 20 mil and flopped.

The point is that spending big or buying big names doesn't necessarily work (it ain't just us - look at Veron at United, Torres and Shevchenko at Chelsea and, if he carries on the way he started, Ozil at Arsenal), but financial hit you take when they don't work is massive.

Rodgers is doing the right thing reinvesting the money throughout the squad in players for the future (Lambert excluded, who is clearly for the next season or so).  Fans whinging on about marquee signings need to check the history books of the team they supposedly support... it's not the Liverpool way.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 pm

JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:10 pm wrote:The repeated use of the phrase 'marquee signing' is increasingly making me want to headbutt the wall.

WTF does it mean??

An International player? A big name (if so then in whose eyes?)? A household name? A big money buy?  All of these??

A fking flavour of the month media bullsht phrase that we shouldn't be encouraging, but instead leaving its use to the plastic wnkers supporting the likes of City and Chelsea.

The best players we've signed in recent years I don't think anyone would have considered to be a 'marquee signing' at the time - Alonso, Hyypia, Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Hamann, Reina.  Torres was brilliant for us and is probably the only one who would have been considered a 'marquee signing' at the time who worked out.  Other big name signings such as Morientes and Kewell got the fans excited at the time but failed to deliver.  Carroll signed for massive money and look what happened there.  Downing signed for 20 mil and flopped.

The point is that spending big or buying big names doesn't necessarily work (it ain't just us - look at Veron at United, Torres and Shevchenko at Chelsea and, if he carries on the way he started, Ozil at Arsenal), but financial hit you take when they don't work is massive.

Rodgers is doing the right thing reinvesting the money throughout the squad in players for the future (Lambert excluded, who is clearly for the next season or so).  Fans whinging on about marquee signings need to check the history books of the team they supposedly support... it's not the Liverpool way.

With respect JC I think it's you that needs to check the history books, in our pomp we always splashed the cash on big signings, when we signed Ian Rush from Chester that was a world record fee for a player under 21, when we signed Graeme Souness that was for a record fee between 2 English clubs, Kenny of course was a British record signing and the likes of Beardsley, Lawrenson, Craig Johnston etc were all big money signings at the time as well.
Fans like to point out that we bought the likes of Keegan, Clemence, Heighway etc for a pittance from lower league clubs but we were still spending big at the time on players like Tony Hately, John Toshack and Alun Evans.
To an extent we even bought our way out of the second division, we spent 60 odd thousand on Ian St John and Ron Yeats at a time when the British record was £100,000, that was a massive expenditure for a second division club back in the day, we were a second division club spending first division money.
We spent a lot of money back in the day but we spent well
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 pm wrote:Lovren and Origi will be unveiled @ 10pm on Liverpool TV

Curiously what were your thoughts when we signed Suarez?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:09 pm

kazza » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:00 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:57 pm wrote:

Curiously what were your thoughts when we signed Suarez?

I thought the club did the right thing buying both Carroll and Suarez. We lost our star forward but went out and bought 2 top young players with bags of potential.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:30 pm

With respect yakka I don't need to check any history books mate.

Quoting transfers prior to the sky money and conception of the premier league is quite frankly irrelevant. That was a game changer and the transfer system changed forever. We live in a world where we can't compete with the big money clubs, so when we do come into some funds like this summer, we should spend it wisely rather than squander it all on one big signing which may or may not work. In my opinion.

But hey, marquee marquee marquee marquee all the way if it floats your boat mate.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 pm

JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:30 pm wrote:With respect yakka I don't need to check any history books mate.

Quoting transfers prior to the sky money and conception of the premier league is quite frankly irrelevant. That was a game changer and the transfer system changed forever. We live in a world where we can't compete with the big money clubs, so when we do come into some funds like this summer, we should spend it wisely rather than squander it all on one big signing which may or may not work. In my opinion.

But hey, marquee marquee marquee marquee all the way if it floats your boat mate.

You were the one that said go check your history books, I didn't realise that you only wanted us to go back to 1992, apologies.
The teams that compete for the top prizes in the game tend to be full of top players, the reason why we did so well last year was because we had the 3rd best player on the planet in our side. Call them top players, big money signings, marquee players or whatever you want but the fact remains if we want to be competing with the best clubs in Europe we will need some of those types of players ourselves.
Barcelona have a forward line of Suarez, Neymar and Messi, Real Madrid have Ronaldo and James Rodriguez, Bayern Munich have basically just won the World Cup, this is what we are up against and you want us to sign Bony?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 pm

If it means that much to you to have star names in your team why don't you go and support Real Madrid instead of crying about the fact we can't afford those players on here?

It would be less painful for you and everybody else mate.

Buying in players like Lallana, Markovic and Can who are not top bracket but are quality players with potential to get even better is the future of this club, like it or lump it.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:43 pm

JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:17 pm wrote:If it means that much to you to have star names in your team why don't you go and support Real Madrid instead of crying about the fact we can't afford those players on here?

Buying in players like Lallana, Markovic and Can who are not top bracket but are quality players with potential to get even better is the future of this club, like it or lump it.

I was born and grew up in the shadow of the ground mate so I don't need any lectures about supporting this club from you thank you very much. No one is talking about signing a team of galactico's but we at least need to sign some *****.ing decent players, players that can compete against the the type of players our rivals are signing.
I just have higher aspirations for my hometown club than Bony.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 am

Needed  fullbacks for years! Why not spend an extra few mil for Monero? Pathetic in my opinion, instead going to get a kid on loan for 2 years. Need a world class player in IMO, how many of our 1st 11 would get into Arsenal, Chelsea or City's starting 11? 1 maybe 2? Blowing 20 million on Markovic is a waste of money for me, we are not short in wide areas with Sterling, Coutinho,Lallana looks to be playing there,  Ibe looks promising and Suso had a good stint on loan in Spain. We've blown 100 million lost Suarez and still are short in the same positions as last season.  All we needed to do was buy 2 decent full backs a CM and a clinical goal scorer, not 2 wide men and a 32 year old liverpool fan.  Did we really need to spend 20 mil on a centre back? I think a big problem last season was not having the same 2 at the back ,it was different every other  week.

Being liked with Rodriguez and Bony is simply laughable considering Rodgers had the best part of 170 million to spend!

His track record in the market is laughable wasted so so so much money! It scares me tbh!
Kopite-Jud

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:41 am

JC_81 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:17 pm wrote:If it means that much to you to have star names in your team why don't you go and support Real Madrid instead of crying about the fact we can't afford those players on here?

Tell me about it.

Talk about insecure.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:30 am

Kopite-Jud » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:30 pm wrote:Needed  fullbacks for years! Why not spend an extra few mil for Monero? Pathetic in my opinion, instead going to get a kid on loan for 2 years. Need a world class player in IMO, how many of our 1st 11 would get into Arsenal, Chelsea or City's starting 11? 1 maybe 2? Blowing 20 million on Markovic is a waste of money for me, we are not short in wide areas with Sterling, Coutinho,Lallana looks to be playing there,  Ibe looks promising and Suso had a good stint on loan in Spain. We've blown 100 million lost Suarez and still are short in the same positions as last season.  All we needed to do was buy 2 decent full backs a CM and a clinical goal scorer, not 2 wide men and a 32 year old liverpool fan.  Did we really need to spend 20 mil on a centre back? I think a big problem last season was not having the same 2 at the back ,it was different every other  week.

Being liked with Rodriguez and Bony is simply laughable considering Rodgers had the best part of 170 million to spend!

His track record in the market is laughable wasted so so so much money! It scares me tbh!

:laugh:

some say we need to sign quality players... then when we did sign a quality player in Markovic some say we blew 20million on him... can't make it up...  :laugh:

Imo, we have done well so far, of course it's not extremely well. I'd give it a grade of B.

1. Adam lallana - the kinda player who if we could not afford to sign, alot of us would be saying how I wish we could have him in our team. 25 million is about 5 million too much though...

2. Emre Can - very very promising player who will be better than lucas and who could become our next box to box midfielder.

3. Markovic - very skillful and fast player who seems to be more polished and composed than when sterling first started playing in the senior team. Only 20 so very big potential.

4. Lambert - a back up striker, who will do a better job than aspas and borrini combined. At 5 million, it's a good deal. A liverpudlian also so he will play his heart out.

5. Lovren - powerful, skillful, all action Cb. Again 20 million alas probably 5 million too much but nowadays we have to pay this much for quality proven players.

I would just like to see another full back also, but Can can play lb. If agger stays, he can play lb too. Flanno and Kelly can play RB.

I would like to see another midfielder like Vidal or Reus, which may not be possible... And now since Remy deal is off, I would like to see us going for  Lukaku or Huntelaar...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:12 am

Apparently we have not even spent the Suarez money. Almost certainly more to come.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:25 am

If Glen remains and starts as a RB this year we need a judicial inquiry on the matter.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion