PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:00 pm

7_Kewell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm wrote:I wonder why Rafa didn't sign Pepe on a permanent deal at Napoli?

apparently they are interested but just not at the price we are looking.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... Reina.html
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm

red till i die!! » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:00 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm wrote:I wonder why Rafa didn't sign Pepe on a permanent deal at Napoli?

That quote from Rodgers says it all - 'Pepe made it clear last year where he is at'
By the sounds of it he's still got a bee in his bonnet over that open letter Reina wrote to the fans, He's even saying there that they haven't had a meaningful conversation since Reina returned from Napoli.
Reading that I'll be surprised if Reina is still at the club after the window closes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby alxy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:35 am

But his mindset has to be right. He has GOT to WANT to play for us, rather than stay because he has nowhere else to go. Unfortunately that seems to be his mindset right now. He has said that all the Spain clubs are already full as far as GK goes, so he can't go back to Spain anymore. Which would imply "which means I am stuck here unless some other EPL or Serie A club comes for me". I have not yet heard him say with conviction that he wants to stay and fight for his place. BR might not look too highly of him, but that can all change. Henderson was also not on BR's list not too long ago. He kept his head down, worked at it and now he's probably one of first names on the list. Pepe has got to do the same if he truly wants to stay with us. Otherwise better he goes if his head is already halfway out the door.
alxy

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:15 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:58 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:00 pm wrote:

That quote from Rodgers says it all - 'Pepe made it clear last year where he is at'
By the sounds of it he's still got a bee in his bonnet over that open letter Reina wrote to the fans, He's even saying there that they haven't had a meaningful conversation since Reina returned from Napoli.
Reading that I'll be surprised if Reina is still at the club after the window closes.

il be shocked myself if he is still here.
ive said it before that rodgers isnt blameless in this, he can have whatever he wants in his bonnet over the letter but he had a big part to play prior to that being penned. he was the one who signed another keeper citing competition only then to do a u-turn and starting blabbing about his wage before claiming he couldnt be sitting on the bench earning that money and promptly loaned him out.
the relationship between those 2 had obviously broken down and it was kinda clear he had played his last game even before that letter came about. bear in mind pepe left here in may 2013 to go to the confederations cup and he never even got to return to preseason. he was left in limbo until he found out he was going to naples on a loan and now finds himself back in that situation.
its a mess of a situation between the two and as i said earlier both would need to do a bit of sucking up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 pm

Sme of you guys need to remember this is how it all started last summer:

Reina: I'm going to Barca!
BR: Ok, good luck.

Two weeks later...
Reina: No wait, i'm staying!
BR: Oh...

Reina is the one who refused to commit his long term future here. Reina is the one who kept flashing his knickers at Barca and Reina is the one who forced us to buy another keeper. I fail to see how BR is to blame, now Reina has f**ked himself into a corner with nowhere to turn.

I like Reina as a player and thought he was a great keeper for us. But his whole attitude stinks and the 'letter' was the final straw. Enjoy the reserves Pepe.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Agreed with Kewell, you can't really blame Rodgers here. Brendan is always talking about how he likes his players to be "committed to the cause" and Reina wasn't exactly committed with saying that he wants to go to Barca, was he? On top of that he was in a really poor form. No one would take such ***** from a player that has been poor for the last two seasons. Reina has only himself to blame. I'm willing to give him another chance though.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm

damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 pm wrote:Agreed with Kewell, you can't really blame Rodgers here. Brendan is always talking about how he likes his players to be "committed to the cause" and Reina wasn't exactly committed with saying that he wants to go to Barca, was he? On top of that he was in a really poor form. No one would take such ***** from a player that has been poor for the last two seasons. Reina has only himself to blame. I'm willing to give him another chance though.

Luis tried to force through a move to Arsenal and called Rodgers a liar which was much worse than the little snipe Pepe had.
But as Kewell says it was Reina who engineered this whole sorry saga in the first place.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:10 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:37 pm wrote:Agreed with Kewell, you can't really blame Rodgers here. Brendan is always talking about how he likes his players to be "committed to the cause" and Reina wasn't exactly committed with saying that he wants to go to Barca, was he? On top of that he was in a really poor form. No one would take such ***** from a player that has been poor for the last two seasons. Reina has only himself to blame. I'm willing to give him another chance though.

Luis tried to force through a move to Arsenal and called Rodgers a liar which was much worse than the little snipe Pepe had.
But as Kewell says it was Reina who engineered this whole sorry saga in the first place.

I knew that someone would bring up the Suarez saga but it's different. Why? It's simple, Suarez was/is the world's best striker. Rodgers and the owners aren't stupid, they knew they needed Suarez to achieve what they want and they knew that he's worth more than 40 million. I doubt they liked it but they had to suck this one up. Reina on the other hand was being disrespectful AND in a very poor form for the past 2 seasons. It's even more disrespectful since I think Rodgers was willing to turn a blind eye to Pepe's form and instead of being thankful Pepe responded with a desire to leave. Nobody would take that kind of *****.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:32 pm

damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:10 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:55 pm wrote:

I knew that someone would bring up the Suarez saga but it's different. Why? It's simple, Suarez was/is the world's best striker. Rodgers and the owners aren't stupid, they knew they needed Suarez to achieve what they want and they knew that he's worth more than 40 million. I doubt they liked it but they had to suck this one up. Reina on the other hand was being disrespectful AND in a very poor form for the past 2 seasons. It's even more disrespectful since I think Rodgers was willing to turn a blind eye to Pepe's form and instead of being thankful Pepe responded with a desire to leave. Nobody would take that kind of *****.

Seems to me the moral of this story is that the club absolutely refuses to take sh1t from any player.........unless the player is really good (then the club will jump through hoops for them).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:58 pm

I'd rather have that than still be out of the CL.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:10 pm

damjan193 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 pm wrote:I'd rather have that than still be out of the CL.

Me too mate but it's still a shocking case of double standards.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:01 pm

Reina was top class under Benitez but seemed to lose his way pretty quickly after.

Get the impression he got a bit lazy in his work and its telling Napoli wont even pay a relatively
small fee, perhaps he wont drop his wage demands.

Believe his shot stopping stats where amongst the worst in Serie A, something we saw toward
the end of his No 1 days here.

Days are numbered really unless he can reinvent himself and I imagine a reasonable La Liga
club beckons for him.

Best goalie in Prem for a while Reina but hasnt managed to maintain that level long term.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:
Seems to me the moral of this story is that the club absolutely refuses to take sh1t from any player.........unless the player is really good (then the club will jump through hoops for them).

The club is being smart enough to get another year or two of top class service out of Luis and make him sign a contract with a much higher release clause. Luis is always 100% when he's playing and his problem comes at the end of the season when he have better options available to him.

Keeping Luis the previous season from Arsenal was a smart move, as he is irreplaceable whereas Pepe is dispensable.

Maintaining your principle is important, but being smart in your dealing is altogether different, which is what managing and running a club/company/business is all about
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Santa » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:02 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:32 pm wrote:

The club is being smart enough to get another year or two of top class service out of Luis and make him sign a contract with a much higher release clause. Luis is always 100% when he's playing and his problem comes at the end of the season when he have better options available to him.

Keeping Luis the previous season from Arsenal was a smart move, as he is irreplaceable whereas Pepe is dispensable.

Maintaining your principle is important, but being smart in your dealing is altogether different, which is what managing and running a club/company/business is all about

Right
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:24 pm

Reina has now been telling the press he wants to 'finish his career in spain'...
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion