LAZAR MARKOVIC- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:13 pm

metalhead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:01 am wrote:
killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am wrote:I saw the youtube clip on this guy... meh... aim higher Rodgers....  Lallana + Markovic and you got Di Maria or Vidal easy :glare:

lol youtube  :D

I was impressed with him on dailymotion.

:laugh:
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Most European football aficionados rate this kid as having jaw dropping potential ,I particularly liked this from the Echo :

He may still be something of an unknown quantity to Liverpool FC fans, but Lazar Markovic’s “enormous potential” could see him take the Premier League by storm.

European football expert Andy Brassell watched Markovic light up Benfica last season and expects the 20-year-old Serbian to have a similar impact at Anfield.

The Reds have tied up a £20m deal for the forward - and Andy believes they might have landed a bargain.

“If he has a good season, it will seem pretty cheap pretty quickly,” he said. “He’s one of the very best young players in Europe, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that. He’s got an uncommon gift.

“I think a lot of people were expecting him to come to Benfica last season and just dip a toe in. Benfica are extremely strong in midfield, but he managed to come out on top and play a lot of games.

“The potential he has is absolutely enormous.”

Lets go with that one  :buttrock  :buttrock Welcome to Liverpool football club Lazar,looking forward to the opposition leaving Anfield with their chins on their
respective boots  :;): A statement of intent ,no more mercenaries.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:15 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:59 am wrote:
killerp » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 am wrote:I saw the youtube clip on this guy... meh... aim higher Rodgers....  Lallana + Markovic and you got Di Maria or Vidal easy :glare:

From what I saw of him in the World Cup that Vidal is massively over rated, and whilst Di Maria is a good player I don't think his style would suit the prem, he looks a bit lightweight to me, another Nani IMO.
As for Markovic he is a potential star of the future and exactly the type of player that we should be targeting. Obviously no signing is without it's risk but at least when you buy someone with the type of raw talent that Markovic possesses you've got half a chance.

Yakka you are usually the best poster on this forum and have some really sensible things to say but you are pretty wrong about Vidal. He had knee surgery in May and almost didn't play in the WC, he really had more cameo appearances in most games than anything. Though he did show his true worth in the Spain game as he absolutely destroyed their midfield.

If you look at his performances and numbers at Juventus over the last two seasons he is far from "over-rated" in fact he is probably regarded as the best box to box midfielder on the planet. If he was younger United would have snapped him up by now for 30m but I'm sure the stumbling block has been his recent injury and age.

We keep crying out for someone to step and replace Stevie, I'm my eyes there are only two out there, Vidal and Schweinsteiger. As the German is already 30, I would go Vidal any day of the week.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:16 pm

Fair enough mate, I haven't seen much of him and wasn't aware that he only just made the WC due to injury.
Thanks for the heads up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:15 pm

I'm waiting for the laser puns when he scores a 30yard'er
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:30 pm

Asked some Portugese friends that support Benfica and they were all in agreement that we have a very good player.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:28 am

That'll do for me kazza
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Another Henderson then.
So maybe in 2-3 years he will start to produce. Until then we will do like West Ham and
develop players...  :no

So tired of buying players that aren't ready from game 1. It's always potential.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 pm

Penguins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:26 pm wrote:Another Henderson then.
So maybe in 2-3 years he will start to produce. Until then we will do like West Ham and

So tired of buying players that aren't ready from game 1. It's always potential.

I bet you he starts

Only issues with him seem to be his training intensity and he did get red carded for punching a guy. He will be quality though.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Penguins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:26 pm wrote:Another Henderson then.

Markovic is like Sterling, although he's young and and a long way off his footballing prime it doesn't stop him being an excellent footballer now in the present.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:15 am

Class speedy Serb has shown in just two sessions at Boston training camp leaves fellow midfielder "really excited" about what he'll do next season

The 20-year-old Serbian completed a £19.8million move from Benfica in time to join his new Liverpool teammates in America for their pre-season tour.

And as they prepared for the Reds' opening tour game against Roma at Boston's famous Fenway Park baseball stadium on Wednesday, midfielder Joe Allen has already seen enough of the lightning-quick attacker to know what an impact he can have on English football.

The Welshman said: "Obviously he has only done a couple of sessions. But straight away, you can see the quality that he brings.

"I'm really excited to get the chance to play with him and train alongside him as well."

Yesterday, the greatest Liverpool legend of them all, Kenny Dalglish, thrilled the club's American supporters by saying hello to some of them in Massachusetts, adding to the Red fervour already whipped up this week on the tour by former strikers Robbie Fowler and Ian Rush.

But with Markovic having been added to earlier summer signings Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Emre Can, Allen reckons the current squad are ready to cause just as much of a stir as the old, famous faces.

And he is convinced that the new quartet's presence since joining has inspired an extra element of determination in the camp as they set their sights on going one step better than last season's runner-up spot in the Premier League.

Allen said: "It has certainly added to the competition for places in the team. It's always a good thing. It always brings the best out of everyone.

"We're delighted to welcome them in. They have settled straight in and I think they're looking forward to the matches on this tour."
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Rui Costa on Lazar 

Costa is now Benfica’s Director of Football and he looks back on the deal he has just completed with Liverpool with a sense of disappointment and pride: disappointment as he was saying goodbye to an outstanding talent but pride over how thrilled Markovic was to receive such an opportunity.
‘What I will remember most about the transfer is how thankful and emotional he was when we told him Liverpool had met his release clause and that was going to allow him to sign for Liverpool,’ Costa, a Champions League winner who was capped 94 times by Portugal, told Sportsmail.
‘I believe he will never forget the time he spent with us at Benfica. Markovic is a huge talent and I believe his speed and skills can make a difference in the Premier League. He's not a physical player, but he has the ability and the flexibility to escape defenders easily.
‘Apart from that, he's a really focused player. He loves football and enjoys playing and watching the game. Markovic is also very cold blooded when he's in one to one and he's not afraid on facing the opponents. He's always eager to learning, so I think he will adapt himself very quickly.’
Markovic’s departure means Benfica have lost the two players who had most influence on them winning the title last season but, in the way that Nemanja Matic has flourished for Chelsea, Costa is looking forward to seeing him develop.
‘The only thing he shares with Matic is the fact they are both Serbians who both played for Benfica,’ said Costa. ‘Matic gives balance to a team, with a great positioning, intelligence and the way he passes the ball. Markovic likes to take risks, play on one to one and attack. He is a pure talent.’

I really cant wait to see Lazar at full pelt in Liverpool red  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 pm

i've been in lisbon for a couple of days so i've taken the chance to quiz a few benfica fans about this guy. the consensus seems to be that they're pretty gutted to see him go and reckon he's going to be a big star in the near future.

personally i think he's gpoing to be frustrating at first, but the kop will take to him as we always love a player who's not afraid to keep on with the tricks as long as he works hard for the team as well. after he's got his head around us and the prem i think he's going to be a monster.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:10 am

According to James Pearce of the Echo he missed training again so its unlikely he'll feature against Milan tonight. Sturridge and Flanno also missed training due to knocks.
Looks like Lambert will be leading the line tonight.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:10 am wrote:According to James Pearce of the Echo he missed training again so its unlikely he'll feature against Milan tonight. Sturridge and Flanno also missed training due to knocks.
Looks like Lambert will be leading the line tonight.

Well Milan have been awful so probably a good game for him to start.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion