PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:53 pm

crazyhorse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:29 pm wrote:I am going to stick my neck out and say I think Reina is a better all round keeper than Mignoglet.

Stick your neck out ? , think you're just dipping your toe in the water there mate   :D

IMO most would agree that despite their respective shortcomings Pepe is the all round better keeper, sure he had a dip in form during his last spell with us but you know what they say about class and form.

If his heart is in it would love to see Pepe turning out for us again, if nothing else it might give Mig the incentive to up his game.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm

I think people have short memories regarding Pepe. Mignolet for me is a far superior shot stopper. I lost count of the number of times Reina stood flat footed without diving when shots went in. However there is no doubt his other attributes are superior. Depends whether you want a keeper that saves shots or one that is good on the deck with more presence.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby kazza » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 pm

Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:40 pm wrote:I think people have short memories regarding Pepe. Mignolet for me is a far superior shot stopper. I lost count of the number of times Reina stood flat footed without diving when shots went in. However there is no doubt his other attributes are superior. Depends whether you want a keeper that saves shots or one that is good on the deck with more presence.

True!

When Pepe first came he also used to flap at alot of crosses but as he filled out he became more commanding in the air. He was always good with his feet and  much better at distributing the ball, a must in a counter attacking side.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:32 pm

crazyhorse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:29 pm wrote:I am going to stick my neck out and say I think Reina is a better all round keeper than Mignoglet. His distribution is far better and shirt stopping is comparable. Mig made too many errors last season and conceded goals Reina would not have.
theres no neck sticking out going on here. Reina is a better keeper, full stop. I think the problem was always a combination of his wages and at the time his urge to move to Barcelona
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:35 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 pm wrote:there wouldnt be any point in keeping pepe if he isnt going to be given a fair shot to compete with mingy. most likely the situation is that he will be gone as soon as we find someone willing to take him  :nod

I disagree, I think he will be given a fair shout. Chelsea will have a similar problem this season with Cech and Courtois, yet they will keep both.

I honestly dont think the relationship between him and rodgers is the best scs. he didnt rate him, replaced him and then loaned him out. a bit of sucking up would have to happen by both and i dont think brendan is the sucking up type.
he's here for now so it will be interesting to see what happens between now and august.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby alxy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:02 am

Would love to see him stay and fight it out with Mignolet. I think Brad Jones is not a good option for us. Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and he's proven to be not too bad a replacement when called upon. But he won't be causing Mignolet any sleepness nights as he is dead set and satisfied in his role as backup keeper. Pepe would really put Mignolet on his toes as clearly Pepe won't stand for being No. 2. That can only be good for us, provided the competition is taken in a positive way.

Also, seeing Pepe come on during a key match if Mignolet is injured would give me more confidence than if it was Jones.
alxy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 am

alxy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 am wrote:Would love to see him stay and fight it out with Mignolet. I think Brad Jones is not a good option for us. Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and he's proven to be not too bad a replacement when called upon. But he won't be causing Mignolet any sleepness nights as he is dead set and satisfied in his role as backup keeper. Pepe would really put Mignolet on his toes as clearly Pepe won't stand for being No. 2. That can only be good for us, provided the competition is taken in a positive way.

Also, seeing Pepe come on during a key match if Mignolet is injured would give me more confidence than if it was Jones.

I think we'll get an indication of how much Pepe features in Brendan's plans by the amount of game time he gets on this pre season tour.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:53 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:09 am wrote:
alxy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 am wrote:Would love to see him stay and fight it out with Mignolet. I think Brad Jones is not a good option for us. Don't get me wrong. I like the guy and he's proven to be not too bad a replacement when called upon. But he won't be causing Mignolet any sleepness nights as he is dead set and satisfied in his role as backup keeper. Pepe would really put Mignolet on his toes as clearly Pepe won't stand for being No. 2. That can only be good for us, provided the competition is taken in a positive way.

I think we'll get an indication of how much Pepe features in Brendan's plans by the amount of game time he gets on this pre season tour.

I'd agree with that to an extent. The moment Mignolet is selected, then Rodgers will want him to have as much game time as possible. From that point on Reina and Jones will have limited options.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:26 pm

Is Pepe on this tour, or still having his summer break? If I'm Pepe, I might want to report back and show the fire to wanna stay and fight for the shirt. I strongly believe Pepe will still be an asset especially if he's fired up and get back to his best. Forget about his desire to wanna play for Barca...who don't. I'm more concern for Liverpool FC as a CLUB than Brendan Rodgers as a MANAGER
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 pm

He is part of the tour but it looks like Jones is in front of him in the pecking order.

Still has the tricks though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZAlS79nU-0

Who knows maybe the situation will arise where he flips the switch in his head and decides to fight for his spot.

More likely Rodgers simply won't play him at all and Reina is hoping that a savior emerges and swoops for him before he is stuck here.
killerp

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Santa » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:26 am wrote:Is Pepe on this tour, or still having his summer break? If I'm Pepe, I might want to report back and show the fire to wanna stay and fight for the shirt. I strongly believe Pepe will still be an asset especially if he's fired up and get back to his best. Forget about his desire to wanna play for Barca...who don't. I'm more concern for Liverpool FC as a CLUB than Brendan Rodgers as a MANAGER

Pepe is on the tour.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:40 pm wrote:I think people have short memories regarding Pepe. Mignolet for me is a far superior shot stopper. I lost count of the number of times Reina stood flat footed without diving when shots went in. However there is no doubt his other attributes are superior. Depends whether you want a keeper that saves shots or one that is good on the deck with more presence.

Pepe is better all-round and a much better fit for us. He was a world class keeper before he had the drop of form. I think it's worth a shot trying to revive him. If he keeps his form from the last two seasons he had with us then we'll just stick with Mign.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:54 pm

I wonder why Rafa didn't sign Pepe on a permanent deal at Napoli?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I think both keepers are good shot stoppers ,but for me Reina's distribution is invaluable ,also his propensity to charge out of his box to stop any danger is second only to Neuer .....I just think with us being in the Champions League Reina's intelligence and experience could prove  key to our possible progression.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sniffy98 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Reina is the better gk. I miss his distribution and think it'd be perfect for our style of play. But the problem is Mign was only just bought in a year ago and who knows what Reina is thinking? I'm not convinced by his commitment. Ideally Reina starts and Mign is backup (gets all the domestic cup games).
sniffy98

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion