Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:30 am

red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am wrote:
eds » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 am wrote:Let's be honest here guys. If Rodgers hadn't got the most out of a few key players last year, played the brado style of football we had been crying out for and delivered us 2nd place, the pressure on him to deliver this season would be absolutely insane. With Suarez no longer being here, the attention now will clearly pinpoint how we kick on from last season, particularly with our rivals strengthening considerably.

From what has become apparent he now has free reign in deciding our immediate future, but a lot of us are still scratching our heads on his and the recruiting department's transfer policy. Personally I think he is making huge mistakes with some of players we are bringing in and the players we have been linked to but as a fan I hope they can prove me wrong and play above their actual levels so we can keep challenging for trophies this season. Just wish we can at least bring in one quality player, so we can all get genuinely excited before the season kicks off.

thats it in a nutshell eds.
we managed to outperform many a persons expectation last season and a few players really stood up. rodgers really seems to be able to motivate players and that is what we will be relying on again this season.
he was always in control of player transfers imo. he refused to work with a dof when he got the job so therefore is not letting a committee sign players for him. they do the talking while rodgers identifies the players he wants.
losing a player of suarez's calibre is always going to hurt but we have been well compensated and left with more than enough time to address the loss. finishing outside the top 4 next season will be a disaster and the last thing id want to hear is because we lost our best player.

You raise some good points there Red.

It really is hard not to speculate, but if we don't buy quality it will be very hard for us to get 4th (or better) again this season. Yes he is a master motivator but we can't lean on blind faith, replacing Suarez will no doubt be Rodger's hardest challenge he has faced at Liverpool. If he intends on buying players like Remy, Origi, etc and thinks they can fill the gaps, then the fingers will unanimously pointed at him at the end of the season if we go backwards.

And yet you will have the same brigade on here, defending him blaming all other factors, players and circumstances when it was clear as day that the 75m need to be spent on quality not quantity.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:52 am

eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:30 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:00 am wrote:
eds » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:50 am wrote:Let's be honest here guys. If Rodgers hadn't got the most out of a few key players last year, played the brado style of football we had been crying out for and delivered us 2nd place, the pressure on him to deliver this season would be absolutely insane. With Suarez no longer being here, the attention now will clearly pinpoint how we kick on from last season, particularly with our rivals strengthening considerably.

From what has become apparent he now has free reign in deciding our immediate future, but a lot of us are still scratching our heads on his and the recruiting department's transfer policy. Personally I think he is making huge mistakes with some of players we are bringing in and the players we have been linked to but as a fan I hope they can prove me wrong and play above their actual levels so we can keep challenging for trophies this season. Just wish we can at least bring in one quality player, so we can all get genuinely excited before the season kicks off.

thats it in a nutshell eds.
we managed to outperform many a persons expectation last season and a few players really stood up. rodgers really seems to be able to motivate players and that is what we will be relying on again this season.
he was always in control of player transfers imo. he refused to work with a dof when he got the job so therefore is not letting a committee sign players for him. they do the talking while rodgers identifies the players he wants.
losing a player of suarez's calibre is always going to hurt but we have been well compensated and left with more than enough time to address the loss. finishing outside the top 4 next season will be a disaster and the last thing id want to hear is because we lost our best player.

You raise some good points there Red.

It really is hard not to speculate, but if we don't buy quality it will be very hard for us to get 4th (or better) again this season. Yes he is a master motivator but we can't lean on blind faith, replacing Suarez will no doubt be Rodger's hardest challenge he has faced at Liverpool. If he intends on buying players like Remy, Origi, etc and thinks they can fill the gaps, then the fingers will unanimously pointed at him at the end of the season if we go backwards.

And yet you will have the same brigade on here, defending him blaming all other factors, players and circumstances when it was clear as day that the 75m need to be spent on quality not quantity.

We finished second last season with the exact same transfer strategy last season. Sign players who fit the style and system with an added focus on value for money.

We may not finish second again this season but I will back Rodgers and his strategy to finish top four again and potentially get to KO stage of the CL. After all that is our aim right?

Surely none of us are stupid enough to expect a title challenge or a CL win?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:56 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 am wrote:We finished second last season with the exact same transfer strategy last season. Sign players who fit the style and system with an added focus on value for money.

We may not finish second again this season but I will back Rodgers and his strategy to finish top four again and potentially get to KO stage of the CL. After all that is our aim right?

Err last season we had the 3rd best player on the planet playing for us which is a LARGE part of the reason why we finished 2nd.

In fact outside of Sturridge and Coutinho none of Rodgers signings had any impact whatsoever on our success.

I agree this season our minimum expectation should be to finish 4th and have a good run in the CL, but with the players Rodgers is signing there are massive question marks on whether that can be achieved.

Don't think anyone on this forum is deluded enough to be expecting a title challenge or CL win, so don't know where you are getting that idea from?
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

eds

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:35 pm

eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:52 am wrote:We finished second last season with the exact same transfer strategy last season. Sign players who fit the style and system with an added focus on value for money.

Err last season we had the 3rd best player on the planet playing for us which is a LARGE part of the reason why we finished 2nd.

In fact outside of Sturridge and Coutinho none of Rodgers signings had any impact whatsoever on our success.

I agree this season our minimum expectation should be to finish 4th and have a good run in the CL, but with the players Rodgers is signing there are massive question marks on whether that can be achieved.

Don't think anyone on this forum is deluded enough to be expecting a title challenge or CL win, so don't know where you are getting that idea from?
It was only the other week you were alluding to expecting to mount a title challenge.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Considering we basically blew the title (five points clear with just three games to go) is it really that ridiculous to expect us to be challenging again?
To be pipped at the post one year then to finish fifth or sixth the next would be a bit of a fall from grace to say the least, especially when you have around £100m to spend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm wrote:Considering we basically blew the title (five points clear with just three games to go) is it really that ridiculous to expect us to be challenging again?
To be pipped at the post one year then to finish fifth or sixth the next would be a bit of a fall from grace to say the least, especially when you have around £100m to spend.

If I am not wrong you were one of the negative bunch who wrote off any chance of a top 4 finish last season (even with Suarez).

We subsequently have a storming season, largely in part by a stunning Suarez season but also heavily influenced the impact of Sturridge and Coutinho, both shrewd value for money buys from the prior season.

In addition to this, the Rodgers attacking playing philosophy starting to take hold. Building and coaching a playing staff that could execute his style, culminating in a devastating attacking strategy.

So let me get this right...

You write our chances off the previous season, we then exceed all expectations and destroy your predictions by about 5 league places, and now after losing our best player you think that a title challenge is a reasonable expectation.

You realise how mental you sound right?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:13 pm wrote:Considering we basically blew the title (five points clear with just three games to go) is it really that ridiculous to expect us to be challenging again?

If I am not wrong you were one of the negative bunch who wrote off any chance of a top 4 finish last season (even with Suarez).

We subsequently have a storming season, largely in part by a stunning Suarez season but also heavily influenced the impact of Sturridge and Coutinho, both shrewd value for money buys from the prior season.

In addition to this, the Rodgers attacking playing philosophy starting to take hold. Building and coaching a playing staff that could execute his style, culminating in a devastating attacking strategy.

You write our chances off the previous season, we then exceed all expectations and destroy your predictions by about 5 league places, and now after losing our best player you think that a title challenge is a reasonable expectation.

I never wrote off our chances last season, I just said we've got a job on to finish in the CL places which is what most people thought, no one could foresee United falling out of the top 4 especially after being champions the previous season so it looked like 3 of the top 4 places were sewn up. We had played some great football in the second half of the previous season when Sturridge and Coutinho arrived so there was some hope.
As for this season I wasn't making a statement about expecting a title challenge (I don't think we will challenge) I was more asking a question - Why shouldn't a club who finished 2nd with a £100m war chest to spend not be challenging?
I think the fact that most of us don't expect a challenge says a lot about the players we have brought in.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:50 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:28 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:23 pm wrote:

I never wrote off our chances last season, I just said we've got a job on to finish in the CL places which is what most people thought, no one could foresee United falling out of the top 4 especially after being champions the previous season so it looked like 3 of the top 4 places were sewn up. We had played some great football in the second half of the previous season when Sturridge and Coutinho arrived so there was some hope.
As for this season I wasn't making a statement about expecting a title challenge (I don't think we will challenge) I was more asking a question - Why shouldn't a club who finished 2nd with a £100m war chest to spend not be challenging?
I think the fact that most of us don't expect a challenge says a lot about the players we have brought in.

Even with Suarez, our squad was weak. Stu the most negative on here would frequently remind us how lucky we were no to have a significant injury.

So now we lose a £70M world class player, even if we replaced him like for like or even split the money three ways and spent £30M odd a set of players we still would be way short of a title winning SQUAD.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 pm

I tend to agree with yakka here. I'm all for signing players that fit the system and all that but these players need to be quality players as well, players that can actually cause damage to the opposition. Our players need to be able to score and create, and that's what Suarez offered in abundance, while he also fitted the system. His work-rate aside, we've statistically lost 30 goals and 10 assists by losing him. Even if we go after someone who will only bring half of that we'll still have to spend good money on that player. I'm very much in agreement that we need to improve the squad but signing at least one top quality player is also a must. Considering we have around 120-130 million to spend, I'd say we have enough for both.

And I disagree that we shouldn't expect to challenge for the title again. We almost won it last year so why shouldn't we? Yes we lost Suarez but we got a lot of money for him. Our goal should be the title, not just finishing in the top 4 like bloody Arsenal.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby sniffy98 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:29 pm

I think we can challenge for the league again but need to temper the pompousness slightly with regards to a top four finish. We are fighting against two mega money duped clubs, another financial  monster in the Mancs plus Le ***** who have started to spend big. The Spuds already spent a £100m last year and could click with Pochettinho. We should aim for the title but let's not be so dismissive of a top four finish like it's a simple thing to achieve. It is bloody hard and being out of it since 2009 is testament to that.
sniffy98

Postby eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:35 pm wrote:
eds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:56 am wrote:

It was only the other week you were alluding to expecting to mount a title challenge.

:laugh: Stop making s**t up I have never said that

eds

Postby stmichael » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:16 pm

Brendan Rodgers talksport interview:

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive ... 0815108041
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Shankly Rules » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:02 am

I don't rate BR to be honest,
I don't thing he has the contacts or the tactical ability to make us world beaters
Bill Shankly Rules
LFC Basic Member

Postby Bill Shankly Rules » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:06 am

we need to be very careful before giving our managers a big money contract extension.

his transfers are suspect.

Ricky lambert, llalana, lovren, plus the usual, joe allen, lucas, stevie etc.

that is sufficient is it, to take us into  a new season and the CL.

Yay....cant wait!
Bill Shankly Rules
LFC Basic Member

Postby Bill Shankly Rules » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:38 pm

On the basis of his signings, still feel mr rodgers is not the best man for the job
Bill Shankly Rules
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion