Transfer policy still a shambles!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 am

killerp » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:24 am wrote:Ok lads what do you think about a 45-50 mil pound move for Marco Reus?

Although I think we need a player more like Vidal I'd still be happy knowing we have at least one world class player in the squad.

Do it!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 pm wrote:
JC_81 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:13 pm wrote:Yakka it's naïve to think Rodgers will play the same formation week after week.  We will definitely go with a front 2 on occasion next season depending on the opponent and you can quote me on that.

3-5-2 and 4-4-2 diamond were both employed a lot last season, the former before Christmas and the latter in the run-in.

Next season it doesn't matter what formations we play as the current squad is quite frankly nowhere near upto it.

We have a lower mid table keeper, a very average defence, a slightly above average midfield and now we have a slightly above average attack instead of a world class one.

Great. 5 steps forward, seven steps back. Typical Liverpool.

Stu go back and have a look at your posts last summer - SAME OLD STU . Cheer up mate and have a sneaky little bet on us to win the league before we buy Reus !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Having read this story about Manquillo I'm now growing disillusioned with our policy. Just pay what we have to to get Moreno in. Why are we signing inexperienced young kids who aren't an upgrade on what we have? Ok, some of them may well surprise us but we need to get someone in to really lift the spirits and instantly improve us as a side, we're in danger of spunking the Suarez money up the wall
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:38 pm

i hate the way we do this, spend vast amounts of time pursuing a target then walk away because we wont pay the price quoted by his club. if moreno is really the player identified to be the main target for LB then pay the extra couple of mil rather than settle for someone else just because they cost less. i cant blame sevilla as he is probably one of their better players and they want to get the best value they can for him, nowt wrong with that.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 pm

We've done alright in the window so far (without being spectacular) but IMO we are getting quite close to repeating what Spurs did last year. So far we've signed Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Stewart and Vigouroux with Remy, Lovren, Origi and Manquillo all expected to pen deals of one sort or another over the next few days.
So that's 9 players already with maybe more to come.
Out of those 9 how many would you say are guaranteed to be regular starters in the first team? Not many I'd say.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:33 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 pm wrote:We've done alright in the window so far (without being spectacular) but IMO we are getting quite close to repeating what Spurs did last year. So far we've signed Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Stewart and Vigouroux with Remy, Lovren, Origi and Manquillo all expected to pen deals of one sort or another over the next few days.
Out of those 9 how many would you say are guaranteed to be regular starters in the first team? Not many I'd say.

For me, Lallana, Markovic, Remy and Lovren would be regulars. I think we're doing ok, just need a world class signing to complete the 9 you've mentioned.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:36 pm wrote:We've done alright in the window so far (without being spectacular) but IMO we are getting quite close to repeating what Spurs did last year. So far we've signed Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Stewart and Vigouroux with Remy, Lovren, Origi and Manquillo all expected to pen deals of one sort or another over the next few days.

Remember Spurs already had European football we did not. With the extra CL matches we needed to improve the squad to cope with the extra demand, had we done nothing even with Suarez we would have struggled with the squad we had. Also we bought more already established PL players that have already adapted to life in England so we should be less prone to " homesick" players like Spurs were and finally our manager is more established and seems to have more say in who is bought.

Last season we kept saying our first team was as good as any but we lost it due to the lack of depth in the squad. This year I think we are going better. The players that have come in have been better than the ones that have left. For the first time we are allowed to compete with the big spenders but I don't think Rodgers has done anything crazy so far, quite steady. I still think a big player will come in, I hope it is Reus. Only issue I see is so many players need to gel and be on the same wavelength. That is down to the manager and this is uncharted waters for him.

Apparently Arsenal are also after Manquillo so he can't be that bad. First time in a long while we are being linked to the same players as the top four teams. In the last few years we were always being linked with the same players as West Ham, Newcastle and Villa, the best we came was being linked with Spurs. This year we seem to be being linked also with City,Utd and Arsenal.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 pm

7_Kewell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:33 pm wrote:

For me, Lallana, Markovic, Remy and Lovren would be regulars. I think we're doing ok, just need a world class signing to complete the 9 you've mentioned.

Starters though mate? I can't really see Remy being a regular starter ahead of Sturridge and Lallana might have a problem becoming a fixture in the starting XI with Sterling, Markovic, Coutinho and the rapidly improving Ibe for competition.
Bringing in those players has definitely given us a lot more depth up front though, we've got more depth now in terms of attack than we've had in a very long time but at the same time no name really stands out as someone that you'd regard as undroppable.
Markovic may have something to say about that though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:05 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:36 pm wrote:We've done alright in the window so far (without being spectacular) but IMO we are getting quite close to repeating what Spurs did last year. So far we've signed Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Stewart and Vigouroux with Remy, Lovren, Origi and Manquillo all expected to pen deals of one sort or another over the next few days.

lovren will be a starter alongside lallana, remy will be rotated with lambert around sturridge. markovic hopefully will be good enough to start.
never even heard of vigouroux, that stewart lad is for the reserves imo. origi is away back on loan and manquillo had only 4 starts last season so unlikely he is going to get them here.
thats 4 so far that will start and as you say integrating too many at the one time may have its downside. anyone else imo has got top be top shelf material, we can well afford to spend on reus who would make a massive difference.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm

I can see Lallana starting ahead of Coutinho. The lad went off the boil towards the end of last season and I think we're desperate for some competition there. Likewise, Sterling will need to be on top form to keep out Markovic. However, I think we're missing the issue here. Our squad was wafer thin, and now the gaffer has brought in cover/competition for all of our attacking roles. I still think we need a world class player up top, but the players we've signed have improved the squad no end.

Only time will tell if the lads we're signing are good enough to be regulars. I would be shocked if 3 or 4 of them fail to do that.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mkingdom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am

The difference (or one of them) between us and Spurs last season is that many of our signings come with EPL experience and do not need to adapt.

Lambert, Lallana Lovren and Remy (assuming the last 2 sign) have all been there are done it to some extent in the league. None of the Spurs buys last season had. These are the new signings I expect to be in and around the first 11 throughout the season.

We also have a better manager, but that's one of the other differences....
mkingdom

Postby alxy » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:08 am

From the top of my head, I think BR has bought/loaned maybe 9 players in the 2 seasons since he came in? Out of them, only Sturridge and Coutinho have been super buys.

BR is just playing the odds game by buying so many in just 1 season. Surely at least 2 out of the 9 or so signed/plan to sign will be as such :)
alxy

Postby killerp » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:28 am

killerp

Postby Red Focus » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:49 am

I am going out on a limb here but I am not really happy with Brendan's transfers so far. Agree that at the end of last season, the only ones he signed that are good are Sturridge and Cou. The rest were either flops or plain average. He could be dancing to the tunes of FSG in buying young players with potential in that he said he was always conservative in his spending and that he treats the club's money as his own's money. Well, whether he's being a yes man to FSG or really his own decision, he is taking a big risk here by not making at least one marquee signing esp. in the midfield. He should go all out to sign great midfield general in a Vidal, Reus or Isco to replace Stevie who is not getting younger. I agree that it is impossible to have a direct replacement for LS and strengthening the team in all departments is the way to move forward but the ones we've signed Markovic, Can, Remy, Lambert, Lallana, Origi are all either unproven youngsters without PL experience (Markovic, Can, Origi), too old(Lambert) or above average at best(Remy, Lallana). By not taking the risk in making an expensive marquee signing he is taking the biggest risk.

Kenny was a risk taker in that he was willing to spend big. He was not afraid to break the bank to sign a player whom he feels could make a difference between winning the league and an also ran. He broke the British record in signing Beardsley in summer '87, he broke the record again when he signed Shearer at Blackburn and in both cases he helped us and Blackburn won the league. The A.Carroll record unfortunately didn't pay off and led to his downfall but then had Torres not left so abruptly, I don't think he would have signed A.C. who was a panic buy without doing the proper homework plus Kenny was a bit antiquated in his dealings after being away from management for so long. But my point is, with money to spend now, Brendan should do all he can to make that one marquee signing esp. in midfield. If he's going to continue with the mission of FSG in buying youngsters with potential or on above average players who can play to his tactics, I fear that finishing 4th would be a huge challenge next season. Last season, IMO we were a 6th placed team with an absolute world class player, now without that player, we could drop down to where we belong. Gus Poyet once said Liverpool would have been a mid table side without LS. I don't completely agree with him, but was not too far fetched.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Can we change the title of this thread to, still a F*CKING ABSOLUTE JOKE AND A SHAMBLES IS ABSOLUTELY THE BIGGEST UNDERSTATEMENT EVER!!! :veryangry
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion