PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 am

As much as I think Pepe would improve our squad, I can't see BR letting him back.  Alas, Reina made his bed, now he can lie in it by taking a pay cut or warming the reserves.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:00 am

7_Kewell » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 am wrote:As much as I think Pepe would improve our squad, I can't see BR letting him back.  Alas, Reina made his bed, now he can lie in it by taking a pay cut or warming the reserves.

dont see why he should take a pay cut mate  :no why would he?. he has a year left and will easily pick up a club on a bosman. his wage is reported to be around £6mil a year and with only one left, no one is going to pay that for him, so to me it smacks of aqualani all over again and in fairness its nobodys fault but our own.
id rather see him and rodgers suck it up between them and have him go toe to toe with mignolet next season for the starting spot  :nod mignolet could do with the competition and if he really isnt too thick he might pick up a thing or two  :D
in saying that though if begovic is available then show both of them the door  :D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:27 pm

Begovic will move to a club with ambition in the market I think. Think hes a pipe dream to be honest :-( as for pepe, I just hope Rodgers realises how bad mignolet was last year and allows pepe a last chance. We need a quality keeper badly and the Belgian is not the answer.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Well Rafa does not want him due to his wage demands, I say cut our losses and move on.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:43 pm

well, looks like reina is about as excited to return to liverpool as i am about spending the next few days with mrs andy_g's family.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/24/pepe-reina-liverpool-napoli

bits of his interview might have been edited out, of course, but nowhere have i seen even a whiff of a "i'll fight for my place" or a "i want to win  more titles with liverpool". maybe brendan can persuade him to stick around and at least put some pressure on the bumbling belgian, but sadly i don't think we'll see pepe in goal for us again.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:13 pm

Yay so its looking more likely we will have to settle for another season of mediocrity at best between the sticks!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 am

Don't ask why but I have a feeling that Reina will be kept this season and allowed to fight for his place.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:55 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 am wrote:Don't ask why but I have a feeling that Reina will be kept this season and allowed to fight for his place.

I couldn't see Brendan taking Pepe to the States with him if their relationship was beyond repair so you may be right mate.
Although Mingolet is the better out and out shot stopper I think Pepe is a better fit for us, because of the vagaries of Brendan's style our keeper probably has the ball at his feet as much as any outfield player so it would be worth sacrificing a bit of shot stopping ability for more composure at the back.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:09 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:55 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 am wrote:Don't ask why but I have a feeling that Reina will be kept this season and allowed to fight for his place.

I couldn't see Brendan taking Pepe to the States with him if their relationship was beyond repair so you may be right mate.
Although Mingolet is the better out and out shot stopper I think Pepe is a better fit for us, because of the vagaries of Brendan's style our keeper probably has the ball at his feet as much as any outfield player so it would be worth sacrificing a bit of shot stopping ability for more composure at the back.

It would be mad seeing Pepe back in goal wouldnt it.

Thought his bridges where well an trult burnt but you never know.

His prescence around the dressing room would be a big plus I know that.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby damjan193 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:40 pm

I'm sure that he'll feature in at least one of these pre-season games. Hoping he stays for longer though.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm

There seems like a few factors that have changed that could make keeping Reina more attractive.

1) The original concerns echoed by Rodgers and the club were around his salary and the fact they could not accept that as a substitute. However with the sale of Suarez releasing more cash, the club could be less sensitive to this point.

2) The increase in games this season will require rotation, including the keeper. Jones is not up to it in terms of being a regular first team keeper and we will need strong options in the keeper area to sustain our presence in the competitions we play in - League, CL, FA Cup, League Cup

3) Reina will offer CL experience, both from Liverpool and Napoli. Other than Gerrard, Skrtel, Agger and Markovic our CL experience is limited.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 pm

Good points SCS, especially about experience (and not just CL but big game experience in general).
I thought Mingolet started to look more nervous as the season went on especially as the games became bigger, two of his most high profile errors came in the away games to City and Chelsea which both had big billing at the time.
By the time the Norwich and Palace games came about he was not only flapping at every cross he was duffing every clearance like me with a 5 iron in my hand. His decision making went to *****, he was just glued to his line.
Reina has played in CL finals, CL semi finals, F.A cup finals and at stadiums like the Nou Camp, Bernabeu and San Siro for us, he has got a lot more big game experience than Simon that's for sure.
Obviously experience doesn't necessarily translate in performances but experienced players are less likely to make those silly errors that's keepers often make when their nerves are shot.
Hopefully what happened last year will help Mingolet become more confident, he did make some quite brilliant saves but it also has to be said that his indecision did contribute to the organised chaos that was masquerading as our back line last season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 pm

there wouldnt be any point in keeping pepe if he isnt going to be given a fair shot to compete with mingy. most likely the situation is that he will be gone as soon as we find someone willing to take him  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:56 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:08 pm wrote:there wouldnt be any point in keeping pepe if he isnt going to be given a fair shot to compete with mingy. most likely the situation is that he will be gone as soon as we find someone willing to take him  :nod

I disagree, I think he will be given a fair shout. Chelsea will have a similar problem this season with Cech and Courtois, yet they will keep both.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:29 pm

I am going to stick my neck out and say I think Reina is a better all round keeper than Mignoglet. His distribution is far better and shirt stopping is comparable. Mig made too many errors last season and conceded goals Reina would not have.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion