BRONDBY VS LIVEPOOL- 16th July 17.00pm ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:10 pm

JC_81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:06 pm wrote:Can't draw too many conclusions from a pre-season game.

All I will say is that Ibe has real potential and if he can find an end product he will be some player.  He is lightening quick.

Was disappointed to lose it in the end even though it counts for fk all - the defending for their winner was a joke.  Skrtel had the chance to put in a tackle on the lad and instead inexplicably decided to let him run by him.  Awful defending.  Obviously big Martin was mentally still on holiday.

All in all the young lads did well to hold their own against a side further on in their pre-season and but for 2 bad defensive mistakes would have won it 1-0.

Fair enough but all i am saying is if there was a young Owen or Gerrard we would have noticed him. The only standout was Coutinho and he had the same amount of training as them.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:17 pm

I don't disagree kazza.  Don't think Ibe will be same class as Owen/Gerrard but there are some similarities with Sterling and he could hit that sort of level and be a useful player imo.  He might surprise us and go a bit further.  He made a difference in that game when he came on as we had zero attacking threat in the first half - Suso/Teixera/Borini were useless as a front three in that game if I am honest.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:35 pm

JC_81 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:17 pm wrote:I don't disagree kazza.  Don't think Ibe will be same class as Owen/Gerrard but there are some similarities with Sterling and he could hit that sort of level and be a useful player imo.  He might surprise us and go a bit further.  He made a difference in that game when he came on as we had zero attacking threat in the first half - Suso/Teixera/Borini were useless as a front three in that game if I am honest.

From what I saw Ibe would be in the "give hime more time" bracket but Borini and Suso (that was quite hyped) i'd say are not really good enough to take us to the next level. Might as well sell!
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:12 pm

kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:45 am wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 am wrote:
kazza » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 pm wrote:Disappointed with Borini ( he will miss a lot of chances and we need to sell him) and was disappointed with Suso. Aside for their first goal which was his fault, he just did not look like he would ever be world class and that is why you keep " one for the future" type players. I don't think if we sold him we would think we should not have. PC looked quality in the first half and I hope he has a big year for us. It was probably good he did not make the Brazil squad.

I struggle to criticise any of our boys, they've had two weeks of training FFS

It was about quality, not fitness

Fitness and quality are linked.

In fact fatigue is the primary cause of mistakes and underperformance in games.

The point of friendlies is always to push a team progressively throughout a preseason period. The results are a bonus, what matters is progressive better performances through increased fitness.

Anyone suggestion that any under performer should be playing to the same standards as the start of the season is quite frankly in need of a brain check
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:45 pm

Let's face it Brendan wouldn't even put that side out in a cup game against a conference side. That was basically our U21 team padded out with one or two members of the first team squad. Out of the 22 players that played yesterday maybe 2 or 3 will be in the starting XI against Southampton next month.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:52 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:45 pm wrote:Let's face it Brendan wouldn't even put that side out in a cup game against a conference side. That was basically our U21 team padded out with one or two members of the first team squad. Out of the 22 players that played yesterday maybe 2 or 3 will be in the starting XI against Southampton next month.

I like to watch preseason games only to see the up and coming players we have and see whether we have any gems. I do not get to watch the reserves so the only information I get is from the web or preseason matches, especially the first ones. I know that they are the U21's but my point is there were no standouts other than Coutinho (who I already know about) and maybe Ibe who had pace and could become more composed infront of goal. There was no young Owen or Gerrard and I was dissapointed with Suso, who seemed to have potential but from what I saw is not the level he should be if he is going to take us to the next level. Borini will miss too many chances and should be sold. These are all decent players but not at the level we need if we are to reclaim our place as one of Europes elite.

So to summerise, I don't care about the score or any tactics the manager used, I know they were not fully fit, I had just hoped we had better coming through.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:05 pm

kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:52 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:45 pm wrote:Let's face it Brendan wouldn't even put that side out in a cup game against a conference side. That was basically our U21 team padded out with one or two members of the first team squad. Out of the 22 players that played yesterday maybe 2 or 3 will be in the starting XI against Southampton next month.

I like to watch preseason games only to see the up and coming players we have and see whether we have any gems. I do not get to watch the reserves so the only information I get is from the web or preseason matches, especially the first ones. I know that they are the U21's but my point is there were no standouts other than Coutinho (who I already know about) and maybe Ibe who had pace and could become more composed infront of goal. There was no young Owen or Gerrard and I was dissapointed with Suso, who seemed to have potential but from what I saw is not the level he should be if he is going to take us to the next level. Borini will miss too many chances and should be sold. These are all decent players but not at the level we need if we are to reclaim our place as one of Europes elite.

So to summerise, I don't care about the score or any tactics the manager used, I know they were not fully fit, I had just hoped we had better coming through.

I'm surprised you weren't impressed with Ibe Kaz, IMO he is one that could definitely feature in the first team in the near future and I thought Ilorri looked calm and assured on the ball too, although he wasn't on long it was a decent little cameo from him, he's another with a lot of potential.
We play Preston tomorrow afternoon, hopefully we'll get see one or two of the new signings like Can and Markovic.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:48 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:05 pm wrote:
kazza » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:52 pm wrote:

I'm surprised you weren't impressed with Ibe Kaz, IMO he is one that could definitely feature in the first team in the near future and I thought Ilorri looked calm and assured on the ball too, although he wasn't on long it was a decent little cameo from him, he's another with a lot of potential.
We play Preston tomorrow afternoon, hopefully we'll get see one or two of the new signings like Can and Markovic.

I actually missed the first 15 minutes so dissapointingly I missed Ilori, because I really wanted to see him. Ibe is certainly one to keep an eye on and he is very quick but many players can be quick but at that end there needs to be finish and I thought he could do with more composure. What the the WC taught me is that great players are great even when they are young. As I said previously you knew Owen was going to be Owen and Gerrard was going to be Gerrard even at 18.

I am not down beat by any stretch, it just would have been nice to see a real gem out of those kids, not to say that they will not improve.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games