Fifa World Cup 2014

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:25 pm

It was a 50/50 ball, he had to be commanding and get the ball while protecting himself. I think there was abit of a don't-come-and-challenge-me-in-my-area kind of warning to it, which is understandable. Which I feel our mignolet doesn't do enough. At the end of the day, the Ref had a good look and didnt think it was a foul.
Higuain came off worse in a 50/50 challenge... these things happen.

But just look at his performance, I have never seen such a dominance from a keeper since the great dane. And his technical ability with his feet are far better than Schmeichel's.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:39 am wrote:
maguskwt » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:30 am wrote:I can't believe the tournament that Neuer had... must be the best keeper in the world right now... no obvious weaknesses as a keeper...

He was fortunate to stay on the pitch I thought, his barge on Higuain was not too dissimilar to Harald Schumachers sickening clash with Patrick Battiston. Higuain was lucky there that he wasn't badly injured.

I wish Mignolet did that once in while, that's proper commanding of your area and I saw nothing wrong with it.

Anyway, congrats to Germany though I never had any doubt that they'll finally win it. Should have placed a bet.

Selecting Messi as the tournament's best player was a disgrace and he wouldn't even be in my top 11. Best player should have been either Robben or Mascherano.

My top 11:

Neuer

Lahm       Vlaar     Hummels    Kuyt

Mascherano    Kroos

Robben                           J. Rodriguez

Muller     Neymar

Notable mentions: Romero, Navas, Garay, T.Silva, Rojo, Blind, Cuardado, Messi, Benzema...
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Nothing wrong with it? He knee'd Higuain in the head.....when he was standing up!
These days you just can't go flying into challenges recklessly, you are supposed to be in full control of yourself as not to risk injuring your opponent, no way was Neuer in full control of himself there, he'd left the ground for a start. As I said Patrick Battiston ended up in a coma with a broken back from a challenge not to dissimilar to that.
That Howedes was lucky to stay on the park too, I think he knew it himself, you could see the shock in his face immediately after he made the tackle.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:59 pm

Have to agree with Yakka here... that challenge from Neuer was ridiculous. Very dangerous. Even in rugby you'd get carded for contact that high. Also it was a challenge in an area of the pitch where his goal wasnt really under threat, higuain was doing fk all from that angle even if he'd got a touch on the ball so he didn't even need to fly in the way he did.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:06 pm

it was physical no doubt but i think neuer had every right to go for that, it was a hoof up to higuain which was inside neuers box and he did what any keeper should do and claim it in the air. it was slightly overhit anyway and higuain turns his back to the keeper to jump for a ball he had little chance of winning. if that challenge had of happened on the 6 yd line from a cross no one would be saying a thing. its just unfortunate neuer is a big lad.
would have been a very soft pen imo.
what about mario goetze, netting the winner in a world cup final is some honor  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:51 am

red till i die!! » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:06 pm wrote:it was physical no doubt but i think neuer had every right to go for that, it was a hoof up to higuain which was inside neuers box and he did what any keeper should do and claim it in the air. it was slightly overhit anyway and higuain turns his back to the keeper to jump for a ball he had little chance of winning. if that challenge had of happened on the 6 yd line from a cross no one would be saying a thing. its just unfortunate neuer is a big lad.
would have been a very soft pen imo.
what about mario goetze, netting the winner in a world cup final is some honor  :nod

That challenge wouldn't have happened on the 6 yard line mate because he wouldn't have had the room to generate that type of momentum. He would have been jumping for the ball after a couple of steps not an 18 yard run up.
As they said on the radio yesterday if a player can't get the ball without endangering his opponent then he shouldn't make the tackle, the days where you take the ball and leave a bit on your opponent went out with the two footed tackle and the tackle from behind, as Jay Spearing found out at Fulham.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:19 am

JC_81 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:59 pm wrote:Have to agree with Yakka here... that challenge from Neuer was ridiculous. Very dangerous. Even in rugby you'd get carded for contact that high. Also it was a challenge in an area of the pitch where his goal wasnt really under threat, higuain was doing fk all from that angle even if he'd got a touch on the ball so he didn't even need to fly in the way he did.

Nonsense Higuain was not gonna do fk all. If he got to the ball first and chested it and got it under control Neuer would be in no man's land and would be in all sorts of trouble. Neuer had to go for it. It was a fifty fifty ball and he got to it first. Sure, the knee was high and there's danger in that, but he also had to protect himself. Big difference with harald Schumacher challenge, where he was no where near the ball.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:24 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm wrote:Nothing wrong with it? He knee'd Higuain in the head.....when he was standing up!
These days you just can't go flying into challenges recklessly, you are supposed to be in full control of yourself as not to risk injuring your opponent, no way was Neuer in full control of himself there, he'd left the ground for a start. As I said Patrick Battiston ended up in a coma with a broken back from a challenge not to dissimilar to that.
That Howedes was lucky to stay on the park too, I think he knew it himself, you could see the shock in his face immediately after he made the tackle.

Of course he left the ground, he was going for the ball in the air ffs. What do you expect from a keeper? Go there and watch the opponent chest it down and dribble past him? Was a 50 50 ball and Neuer got to it first. Fair play albeit there is danger of clash no doubt. Higuain could've also withdrawn but he went for it too.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:17 pm wrote:Nothing wrong with it? He knee'd Higuain in the head.....when he was standing up!

What on earth has the jumping in the air bit got anything to do with it. Show me a keeper who punches or catches the ball consistently with feet on the ground.

The problem with Neuer was leading the jump with a knee. That I think should be ruled out.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:03 am

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 pm wrote:

What on earth has the jumping in the air bit got anything to do with it. Show me a keeper who punches or catches the ball consistently with feet on the ground.

The problem with Neuer was leading the jump with a knee. That I think should be ruled out.

No way can you can compare it with that cynical shoulder hip shirtfront of Schumacher in 82
Its only real problem as already  stated for me is the leading with the  knee

Shows how much the game has changed though the result of Shumacher collision( !!!)  was a goal kick

Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am

Somehow messi won the player of the tournament

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:24 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:49 am wrote:

Because every player these days has got a responsibility toward the safety of his opponents. You just can't go flinging yourself recklessly into the air. That's why two footed flying lunges have been banned because according to FIFA when you are in the air you are no longer fully in control of yourself.
Even when contesting headers fouls are given regularly these days for the most innocuous of challenges and if Neuer was a center half and he took out a forward with a flying knee to the head like that he'd be extremely lucky to stay on the pitch.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion