SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:02 am

Can't blame him for his suicide distribution (he has obviously been told to try those) but he seems pretty average at everything other than shot stopping. I defended him early on this season but he's proving me wrong.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:19 pm wrote:Must admit my heart was in my mouth anytime the ball went near him today, wether it was a cross, shot or even a back pass it didn't seem to matter as my blood pressure just went through the roof any time he was on the telly screen. Someone is going to close him down and rob the ball of him one of these days the way he dawdles on it.
He didn't have any chance with their second but that first was awful keeping.

ya i agreed, i feel a fear rising slowly but gradually strongly everytime he is near the ball, the last time i got that feeling was when james was playing for us. he is a great shot stopper, his reflex can be better as he is easily beaten from close range/weak shots. his aerial ability needs to improve a lot. next season rogers will definitely sign another keeper.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:29 am

cardiff-red » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:37 pm wrote:
SouthCoastShankly » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm wrote:
cardiff-red » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:18 pm wrote:He has had his positive moments, but also makes a hash of things far too often, if we are to be Champions and competing for top honors next season we need to replace him as our number 1

David Marshall @ Cardiff is excellent, plus also Ben Foster - however i doubt many here would accept Foster as he used to play for the scum, although i see past that and see a very reliable english keeper

If you're ruling out Mignolet, then you must pitch higher than Marshall or Foster.

Champions sign proven CL players.

Who are you thinking? Someone like Iker Casillas ?

Hugo Lloris. He's superb and his distribution is really good. Very decisive and quick to come off his line as well. And he's been making noises about how unhappy he is at Spurs so why not try to unsettle him.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:16 am

Hugo Lloris is a great shout. So is the young German who plays Gladbach, Stegen or something; He confirmed he's leaving the club in the summer regardless (seemed bound for Barcelona before they got the transfer ban) so he'll be a great capture for any side.

Regardless, I'd look to bring in a new goalkeeper for next season. I'd have Reina ahead of Mignolet if it came down to it.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:23 am

aCe' » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:16 pm wrote:Hugo Lloris is a great shout. So is the young German who plays Gladbach, Stegen or something; He confirmed he's leaving the club in the summer regardless (seemed bound for Barcelona before they got the transfer ban) so he'll be a great capture for any side.

Regardless, I'd look to bring in a new goalkeeper for next season. I'd have Reina ahead of Mignolet if it came down to it.

ter Stergen would be a great shout, and Lloris as well.

I feel similarly to many.. He's a great shot stopper but doesn't offer any leadership in the back. You can tell we get disorganized back there from our CB's not knowing where he is, or where he wants them. He can't seem to figurer out when to come out to the ball, and when to stay in his box, and he always seems afraid when he comes out. His distribution is one of the worst I've seen in the league. Call it dramatic, but every time he gets the ball, I'm scared shitless. If he plays it out of the back we come under immense pressure, and if he goes long, we never end up with it. It either goes out of bounds, or the other team have no problem getting the ball back. The style we play is counter attacking football, and with Reina we would probably have quite a few more goals this season with his distribution.

I was surprised we didn't go after Michael Vorm or Begovic. I think I'd be happy with either of them at this point. ted Stergen will probably hold out, and I can't imagine spurs being reasonable in trying to do a deal with us.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:41 am

Yeah you're right. Spurs slapped a 100m price tag on Lloris recently :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby only me » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:00 am

I don't know why but i still appreciate the fact he saved our season with his goal keeping heroics in the first 3 games.....Leave the lad alone. He is a legitimate good keeper and a big factor for where we are right now. People forget our defensive four for a long time didn't offer him much support.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:48 am

Yet another error today and shocking display. His distribution with his feet also leaves a massive amount to be admired.

Quite frankly the lad is a flop. Obviously there are some on here who will still no doubt try to defend him, the fact remains is we could have had pretty much any keeper in goal this season and be no worse off. The lad is gash.

Had the rest of the side not performed as well as he had and we'd have finished 7th with him having exactly the same standard of season everyone would be in uproar.

Never has been a good keeper, never will be.

We MUST sign a better one in the summer, if we don't snap up Begovic, someone else will and we'll be missing out on a world class player.

After the season we've had, we should be able to attract pretty much anyone, failing Begovic, if we can get Lloris for a decent sum, that wouldn't be a bad second choice.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 pm

for me this is the number one (no pun intended....) position to sort out in the summer, followed closely by a top quality new right back.

i gave mignolet the benefit of the doubt for ages, but he just gives me the jitters now. watching him lose posession by booting the ball out of play 5 or 6 times every match is not fun. watching him come flying out to punch a ball and miss it by miles is not fun either.

if he's not in his comfort zone of making a reaction save then he looks like he never knows what to do, whether to stay back, come out, punch catch, kick or throw. then most of the time the decision he eventually takes is the wrong one. to be honest, i prefer brad jones over him.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

andy_g » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:06 pm wrote:for me this is the number one (no pun intended....) position to sort out in the summer, followed closely by a top quality new right back.

i gave mignolet the benefit of the doubt for ages, but he just gives me the jitters now. watching him lose posession by booting the ball out of play 5 or 6 times every match is not fun. watching him come flying out to punch a ball and miss it by miles is not fun either.

if he's not in his comfort zone of making a reaction save then he looks like he never knows what to do, whether to stay back, come out, punch catch, kick or throw. then most of the time the decision he eventually takes is the wrong one. to be honest, i prefer brad jones over him.

Realistically Jones is never a premiership standard keeper although I get where you're coming from.

Agree whole heartedly as well about the positions that require the most attention. Apparently Richards is on a free this summer and with the arial ability and pace he offers I definately think he's worth a bid.

Mignolet is nowhere near the standard we need though. Rodgers needs to be ruthless this summer, if he fails to address this it will cost us immensely next season.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:26 pm

I agree with the general consensus ,we need a stopper that commands his area and the defenders directly in front of him with significantly more authority.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:47 pm

If we want a dynasty and go on to win for the next five to seven years we need a world class keeper that can play with his feet and unfortunately Mignolet is not. Will he become good enough as he is young I'm not sure. He does not seem to have the body for it. Get a solid keeper in the summer and he can be second choice.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:32 pm

I think that the main reason why I defended Mignolet for so long was because deep down I believe that none of this would have happened had he not saved that last minute penalty in the first game against Stoke. But despite this, and although he's not such a bad keeper (not a "flop" in any case), we probably need someone better in his position.

The German league is a good place to look for a new keeper and ter Stegen is a good shout. Lloris is a good goalie as well but I'm not so sure that he's that good with the ball at his feet as everyone here implies. I've always had the opposite impression actually.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 pm

Begovic is a must. He's the best in England and easily top five in europe.

The lad oozes quality in everything he does.

As for Mignolet not being a flop... I don't quite get how you can say he isn't. He's been a spectacular failiure and the ONLY reasons he's gotten away with it is due to our ridiculous stats and ability going forward. Had we been anything less than the best attacking side in England and one of the best in the world, he'd have been absolutely hammered.

The amount of times we've had to score two or even three or four to win a game is a f*cking joke, he's a large part of the reason for this.

Luckily, we have Suarez.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:21 pm

it dont matter what we want as i cant see rodgers binning him after one season  :no  imo he is exactly the same keeper he was at sunderland, flapped at crosses, cant play with his feet and barely says a word during a game. we didnt go looking for a top keeeper, we went looking for someone who was alright and wouldnt look for too much money and we got him. this is what our committee is looking for and from memory i think he was even the first in the door ?. will they change this policy just because of CL qualification ?. buy a 10mil keeper and then put him on the bench a year later  :no  even selling him will incur a heavy loss.
imo we do need to sign another and id prefer if he was a begovic, stegen, lloris or courtois but i cant see it happening. more than likely he will be their interpretation of the next up and coming player that fits the criteria.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion