SIMON MIGNOLET- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ethanr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:25 am

That's what I don't understand Killer. He plays from the back, and of all the options we could have had, he chose one of the worst possession keepers I've seen. I was really surprised we weren't going after Vorm personally. Very comfortable on the ball, and a very good shot stopper. I know he's 30 and we wanted a young keeper, but a properly-trained keeper can last in their prime into their upper 30s. I hope Mignolet can sort these issues out, because if he can't it's only a matter of time before we have to get rid of him.

I'm not writing him off, but I can't say I have a lot of faith in him. But for me that says something, because I never wrote off the likes of Hendo, Carroll, Downing, and Allen, and although some have come through, some of them never really showed up. It takes a Christian Poulson or Paul Konchesky before I write somebody off, but Mingolet is really worrying me at this point.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:53 pm

Stu the Red » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm wrote:
parchpea » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm wrote:Reina has made some howlers for Napoli and is not a better keeper than Mignolet.

In his pomp he was, not now, and Mignolet has time to improve and will have too of course.

The club invested in potential over an ageing keeper on double the wages without damaging
the quality.

Absolutely ridiculously clueless post with absolutely no idea about football.

Even by this forum's standards that's a complete whopper of a post.

Reina made about 5 or 6 mistakes in 5 seasons as Liverpool's number one, Mignolet has made 6 or 7 already this season alone. Pepe had a few howlers and you can probably look at a couple of others in his last two seasons and say, "he's done better in the past" but to suggest that Mignolet is even close to his standard is absolutely ridiculous, clueless and completely obsurd. Add to that WRONG as well and you're somewhere near the truth.

Next you'll be saying that Aspas is as good as Suarez!

Stupid stupid post! :no

the way you respond to people is fecking awful. You should take yersen off you div brain.

and before you come back with another 'wonderful response' have a think about what your going to say first.  :no
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:23 pm

devaney » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:12 pm wrote:There were one hundred and ten thousand reasons Liverpool wanted Pepe off the wage bill but perhaps this was the key one: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rpool.html

Doesn't exactly accord with what you are suggesting Stu.

BUMP

Stu you'll be trying to convince everybody that Torres was at the top of his game when he went to Chelsea and he simply had a few bad games for Liverpool. This may come as a shock. Simply because somebody doesn't agree with your point of view does not necessarily mean they are a fecking idiot   :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

ethanr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:25 am wrote:That's what I don't understand Killer. He plays from the back, and of all the options we could have had, he chose one of the worst possession keepers I've seen. I was really surprised we weren't going after Vorm personally. Very comfortable on the ball, and a very good shot stopper. I know he's 30 and we wanted a young keeper, but a properly-trained keeper can last in their prime into their upper 30s. I hope Mignolet can sort these issues out, because if he can't it's only a matter of time before we have to get rid of him.

I'm not writing him off, but I can't say I have a lot of faith in him. But for me that says something, because I never wrote off the likes of Hendo, Carroll, Downing, and Allen, and although some have come through, some of them never really showed up. It takes a Christian Poulson or Paul Konchesky before I write somebody off, but Mingolet is really worrying me at this point.

I'll give mino till the end of next season to improve his weak areas. We should know by then if he is capable of change. While we wait Rodgers should go out & get a young keeper who is promising but not yet established most important he is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Jones in my opinion is not a good enough understudy & shows no intention of stepping up.
killerp

Postby damjan193 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:42 am

killerp » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am wrote:
ethanr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:25 am wrote:That's what I don't understand Killer. He plays from the back, and of all the options we could have had, he chose one of the worst possession keepers I've seen. I was really surprised we weren't going after Vorm personally. Very comfortable on the ball, and a very good shot stopper. I know he's 30 and we wanted a young keeper, but a properly-trained keeper can last in their prime into their upper 30s. I hope Mignolet can sort these issues out, because if he can't it's only a matter of time before we have to get rid of him.

I'll give mino till the end of next season to improve his weak areas. We should know by then if he is capable of change. While we wait Rodgers should go out & get a young keeper who is promising but not yet established most important he is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Jones in my opinion is not a good enough understudy & shows no intention of stepping up.

With 31 years of age, Jones is hardly an understudy. He's just a player on low wages who doesn't mind being second or third choice. For some odd reason I always liked the guy (even before he came to us) so I say we keep him. But you're right, we need someone younger and more promising and who would also be more suitable to our system.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:34 pm

Mignolet seriously needs to grow a pair. He doesn't command the defense that well, and a few times there was poor communication with him, Toure and Skrtel which resulted in the defenders being unsure if Migs was gonna come get the ball, or not. I've never had anything bad to say about him as I think he is good, but it does worry me especially since our defense is a ticking time bomb, and the keeper is kinda shaky.

He almost saved another penalty today though, shot was just too powerful.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby RedAnt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Mignolet ultimately lacks only in a few area's. His technical ability seems good. He's agile with quick reflexes. He's a big lad, and is strong. But he seems unaggressive, and not particularly determined. Something about his style is almost shy, like he dosen't believe he belongs there. We've seen it before with other 'keepers. Westerveld springs to mind.

He needs the GK coach to teach him that the box is the 'keepers domain, that even his own defenders of limited importance within it. He needs to orchestrate them against oncoming attacks much quicker and with a much more commanding approach.

Time's on his side, yes, but he has plenty of experience in the PL and internationally, but as Mags (I think) said, he really needs to grow a pair.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby parchpea » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 pm

I have backed the lad but I think he needs a strong end to the campaign now to keep the pressure off another keeper
coming in as serious competition this summer.

He started really well but has dipped the second half of this season and still looks shaky.

Could argue that his defence is hardly helping, but a keeper should also be commanding and confident and those
vibes are important to everyone at the back.

From what I saw today he was petrified to leave the six yard box with defenders begging him to come out and
collect on a number of occasions, and he fluffed his lines when he did venture onto the 18 yard line, and I felt
carried it out of the box.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:16 pm

Quite simply, the lad is completely gash.

He's made more mistakes now this season than Pepe did in his entire Liverpool career and there are still numpties who think we're better off. Our defence in general quite frankly a joke!! Starting with the flop in goal.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:25 pm

RedAnt » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:12 pm wrote:Mignolet ultimately lacks only in a few area's. His technical ability seems good. He's agile with quick reflexes. He's a big lad, and is strong. But he seems unaggressive, and not particularly determined. Something about his style is almost shy, like he dosen't believe he belongs there. We've seen it before with other 'keepers. Westerveld springs to mind.

He needs the GK coach to teach him that the box is the 'keepers domain, that even his own defenders of limited importance within it. He needs to orchestrate them against oncoming attacks much quicker and with a much more commanding approach.

Time's on his side, yes, but he has plenty of experience in the PL and internationally, but as Mags (I think) said, he really needs to grow a pair.

Spot on.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Boocity » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:00 pm

I read in the Mail today that he said he was originally a midfield player, this makes his poor distribution and seeing how uncomfortable he looks with the ball at his feet even more perplexing.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:19 am

Made one really good stop yesterday (as he often does) but I'm still miles away from being convinced that long term he's our future.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:48 am

after a season inbetween the sticks I look at him now as quite average. This is ironic since in his first season here he may actually collect a title winning medal. he's a good lad, great shot stopper but I wouldn't be surprised if we sign another keeper in the summer.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Looked edgy but made a great save from Fernandinho, I thought that was going in when it left his foot.
Their second goal looked very soft but he was wrong footed by Johnson's touch on the cross, he was obviously setting himself for a ball across the face of his 6 yard area. My heart was in my mouth when he shanked that clearance right to Dzeko though, luckily he hit it hard enough to make it difficult to control.
He is obviously very talented but I think he seriously needs to work on his basics, he gets to shots that most keepers wouldn't even get near but then makes a meal of the bread and butter things like simple clearances or coming out to collect an over hit through ball.
Those things can be worked on though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Must admit my heart was in my mouth anytime the ball went near him today, wether it was a cross, shot or even a back pass it didn't seem to matter as my blood pressure just went through the roof any time he was on the telly screen. Someone is going to close him down and rob the ball of him one of these days the way he dawdles on it.
He didn't have any chance with their second but that first was awful keeping.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion