PHILIPPE COUTINHO - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:43 am

Plenty of room for improvement and growth but he's played well overall this season. Alongside Johnson, he has probably been the most inconsistent player to feature regularly this season but on the hand, in his day he's a difference maker and one of the best 5/6 players we have in the side. That goal against City will go down in history if we manage to win the title this year.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:12 pm

aCe' » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:43 am wrote:Plenty of room for improvement and growth but he's played well overall this season. Alongside Johnson, he has probably been the most inconsistent player to feature regularly this season but on the hand, in his day he's a difference maker and one of the best 5/6 players we have in the side. That goal against City will go down in history if we manage to win the title this year.

He's absolute quality ace and I reckon you're wide of the mark naming him in the same scentence as the mercenary.

He's been outstanding at times this season and is a major reason we are were we are. He's our second best player despite his inconsistency through his work rate, tackling, vision and passing ability. Even when he doesn't play well his passes and runs create space for other players as he's a natural footballer.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:12 pm wrote:
aCe' » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:43 am wrote:Plenty of room for improvement and growth but he's played well overall this season. Alongside Johnson, he has probably been the most inconsistent player to feature regularly this season but on the hand, in his day he's a difference maker and one of the best 5/6 players we have in the side. That goal against City will go down in history if we manage to win the title this year.

He's absolute quality ace and I reckon you're wide of the mark naming him in the same scentence as the mercenary.

He's been outstanding at times this season and is a major reason we are were we are. He's our second best player despite his inconsistency through his work rate, tackling, vision and passing ability. Even when he doesn't play well his passes and runs create space for other players as he's a natural footballer.

I'm not arguing the fact that hes a quality player though. On ability alone, he would be our 3 best player behind Suarez and Gerrard. That said, he has -beyond argument- been rather inconsistent for large stretches of the season. The reason we are top of the league with 4 games to go is BECAUSE the likes of Gerrard, Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling, and Henderson have been extremely consistent this season and have hardly had a game where their performances have dipped below a 6 or 7.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:37 pm

I'm with Ace on this one.
There is no denying Couthino's abilty, but he has been really been mixing up the good performances with the less good.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Penguins » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:37 pm wrote:I'm with Ace on this one.
There is no denying Couthino's abilty, but he has been really been mixing up the good performances with the less good.

I agree but can we change the word GOOD to SPECTACULAR ?  :D
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:59 am

I know I was bit modest there :D
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:23 am

I think it would be fairer to talk about how excellent he has been rather than how inconsistant. I'm with Stu on this one and think he is a natural footballer with a great football brain. I think he will be world class and a huge reason we are where we are. It was since we bought him that our fortunes have changed.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:39 am

kazza » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:23 am wrote:I think it would be fairer to talk about how excellent he has been rather than how inconsistant. I'm with Stu on this one and think he is a natural footballer with a great football brain. I think he will be world class and a huge reason we are where we are. It was since we bought him that our fortunes have changed.

Nobody is arguing against the fact that he is a great footballer though. He has played his part in getting us where we are, as have many other players this season. I certainly wouldn't put him ahead of Suarez, Sturridge, Gerrard, Sterling, and Henderson as a player of the season for us. As a matter of fact, for me personally I'd say Skrtel, Flanagan, and even Mignolet would have a better shout at it than Coutinho would. In no way is this me knocking the lad down or anything, its just a realistic assessment of his level of PERFORMANCES this season rather than his ABILITY.

I'll agree with both you and Stu on Coutinho having what it takes (talent and work ethic) to improve further and become a top class player.

P.S: It was also since we bought Sturridge that our fortunes have changed. And IMO he has had a far greater impact on influencing the way we play and in terms of performances than Coutinho has had so far. Both very good players who have taken us to the next level though.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Focus » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:04 am

Many of you commented how great a player he is. I only half agree. He is still young and has rooms for improvement and hasn't reached his prime yet. He is a good through ball passer with outstanding ball control skills. But his goal attempts are usually farcical and miles off target though he did bang in quite a few important goals. His passing can be over ambitious at times which resulted in being easily intercepted by opponents. Nevertheless, I am sure he will mature to be a great player in 2 to 3 seasons time.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby stmichael » Wed May 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Left out of the Brazil squad for the World Cup.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm

stmichael » Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 pm wrote:Left out of the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

Makes sense i guess ,still not consistent enough to warrant a spot for Brazil...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 pm

only me » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm wrote:
stmichael » Wed May 07, 2014 2:57 pm wrote:Left out of the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

Makes sense i guess ,still not consistent enough to warrant a spot for Brazil...

They included Paulinho FFS. Coutinho has been miles better than Paulinho this season.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Wed May 07, 2014 4:36 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 pm wrote:
only me » Wed May 07, 2014 3:01 pm wrote:

They included Paulinho FFS. Coutinho has been miles better than Paulinho this season.

Agreed ,Neither should have been in the squad ,you can add Fernandinho from City as well and not even sure about Oscar...Scolari picked a pretty average team which it's strength is it's defense. He is a Dinosaur.
Where is Lucas More from PSG (why couldn't we get this Lucas) ,where is Felilpe Luis and Diego Costa from Madrid? Ronaldinho which is having a good season in Brazil...
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed May 07, 2014 4:42 pm

It's a shame for him but not surprising he doesnt get in their squad.

At least he should be nice and fresh for the new season.

Only me Diego Costa has opted to play for Spain, despite already playing for Brazil.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion