Next Season - Early Days but ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 am wrote:This would look a pretty impressive midfield/attack though

Gerrard

Barkley.              Hendo

Sterling.           Coutinho.          Suarez

Sturridge

Who needs defenders  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 pm

surely we will have a decent amount to spend in the summer, the extra tv revenue from this year, a vastly improved league finish combined with the CL revenue to come should see rodgers in a position that he can go that extra bit to get the players he wants.
i cant help but feel we would have been a much improved side had he of been allowed to secure mikhtaryan, willian and salah.
if we can land richards on a free then it would be good business despite having worries over his fitness.
the important thing for me is that we capitalise on this season and use it to attract top players in to the fold. when we signed borini i always felt that we should have stumped up an extra 5 mil and went for reus who went to dortmund at that time. he has proved himself and even if he cost us 30mil this year then it would be money well spent.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:42 pm

we're in a better position now we have CL footie and possibly League Champs and having one of the top 3 best strikers in the world at the club.

we should attract the big names. Whether Mr Henry will let us spend the money is another thing
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

I agree with RTID, we shouldn't be faffing around bringing in any more squad players this summer.
I'd rather spend all our money on marquee name(s) like Barkley or Reuss than 4 or 5 bench warmers. Whoever we bring in has to be good enough to nail down a place in the starting XI, we want someone who will be one of the first names on the team sheet.
I don't want us to do our usual trick of spending £40m again and end up with 30 of that 40 mil sitting on the bench all season.
Another reason to make a statement in the transfer window this summer is to let Luis know that we have big plans ourselves so he doesn't need to go anywhere else, Ayre has basically said that Europe's big names are lining up mega-bids for Luis so bringing in a big name or 2 could make up Luis mind for him.
Richards would be a great bit of business if we could get him, he can play fullback or centre half and is magnificent in the air, it would take some doing bullying a back four with Sakho and Richards in it.
I'd get Ilorri back from Spain too, that lad looks a class act, he was superb against Barcelona the other day, he should be getting game time in the domestic cups and training with his team mates here next season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm fascinated? Marquee signings? First on the team sheet?

You suggest Barkley and Reuss so just who would you leave out? It would be a wonderful dilemma to have but whilst we can improve are they really the areas to concentrate on? We certainly need another striker but do we need to spend that sort of money? At the moment we need quality back up for Luis and Danny.

I think we need to strengthen the squad especially for the CL but I'm not sure that we need to spend crazy money. Ozil, Fellaini, Soldado, Torres and Mata come to mind to name but a few. Marquee signings are no guarantee of success. Carroll would have been considered a marquee signing. BR would appear to have a management team in place that is very capable of getting the best out of players. That is one of the areas that has impressed me most. For me I would like to see more of the same. We have quite a few decent players coming through and out on loan.

I'm also not sure that we need to spend a fortune to keep Luis happy. A lot of supporters were calling Ayres and the owners for everything back in January when our activity in the transfer market fizzled out. Since the beginning of January our results are 10 out of 10 and that has not simply been down to spending a small fortune.

Yes we need to strengthen but I don't think we need to start chasing players that cost £25m and upwards.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:40 pm

devaney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:17 pm wrote:I'm fascinated? Marquee signings? First on the team sheet?

You suggest Barkley and Reuss so just who would you leave out? It would be a wonderful dilemma to have but whilst we can improve are they really the areas to concentrate on? We certainly need another striker but do we need to spend that sort of money? At the moment we need quality back up for Luis and Danny.

I think we need to strengthen the squad especially for the CL but I'm not sure that we need to spend crazy money. Ozil, Fellaini, Soldado, Torres and Mata come to mind to name but a few. Marquee signings are no guarantee of success. Carroll would have been considered a marquee signing. BR would appear to have a management team in place that is very capable of getting the best out of players. That is one of the areas that has impressed me most. For me I would like to see more of the same. We have quite a few decent players coming through and out on loan.

I'm also not sure that we need to spend a fortune to keep Luis happy. A lot of supporters were calling Ayres and the owners for everything back in January when our activity in the transfer market fizzled out. Since the beginning of January our results are 10 out of 10 and that has not simply been down to spending a small fortune.

Yes we need to strengthen but I don't think we need to start chasing players that cost £25m and upwards.

I'd love to sign Barkley. But that £38M rumour is nuts. £25M max.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:02 pm

Would love to see Marco Reus here. If not, Jeremy Menez is available on free.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:42 pm

I agree that we don't need any more squad players, we have plenty of them (most of them are currently on loan). Of course that big money spending isn't a guarantee for success but we won't stay on top for long if we constantly look for bargains. For next season, I think that we'll need to concentrate at least 30 million on a new midfielder and an attacking player. We could also go for a new full back (if we're replacing Johnson), a center back (if we're replacing Agger/Skrtel, though unlikely) and maybe even a goalie.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:51 pm

We do have a strong starting 11 but our bench looks very discouraging. Before buying any new players, we need to get rid of some. Aspas, Ngoo and Assaidi should go. Aspas has been a disgrace to the #9 jersey, Ngoo is a poor man's Heskey and Assaidi doesn't seem to be favored at all.

We have Suso, Alberto, Yesil and Joao Carlos, as well as Borini who is currently on loan. That's sufficient options should we rotate during the cup games. Hence should another attacker be brought in, it has to be someone who walks into the first team rather than be sent on loan straight away or disappear from the planet like Assaidi and Alberto respectively. Would really love Reus, Shaqiri or Draxler. Another good one to look out for is Luciano Narsingh.

Also, I don't think we need a defender as we have Tiago who is looking very impressive. If we were to buy another defender, where would it leave Coates, Kelly and Wisdom? We do need a fullback though and Łukasz Piszczek or Ricardo Rodriguez would be ideal.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:57 pm

coates would have been gone if he didnt do his cruciate and kelly has hardly featured in 2 years under rodgers so i doubt either has a future here.
id be hoping llori and wisdom will be featuring in the domestic cups alongside suso and texiera with cameos in the league. i wouldnt write off alberto as i think he has still got something to offer and should be given next season to see if he really is cut out for the pace of the prem.
aspas, borini and assaidi need to go. neither is good enough for liverpool.
not saying we need 6 players that cost 30+ but we need at least 2 big names with european experience not just players that where born in europe and ply their trade in lower leagues because that avenue hasnt yielded anything so far.
rodgers has done everything and more than whats being asked of him this season in achieving targets so there is no excuse not to give him the money to secure the players he wants. if they don't give it to him this summer then they never will
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm

Coates isn't good enough and Kelly has looked poor since he returned from injury. If truth be told, both need to go in the summer.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:09 pm

And a back three? Could be very exciting against some teams.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 pm

red till i die!! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 pm wrote:coates would have been gone if he didnt do his cruciate and kelly has hardly featured in 2 years under rodgers so i doubt either has a future here.
id be hoping llori and wisdom will be featuring in the domestic cups alongside suso and texiera with cameos in the league. i wouldnt write off alberto as i think he has still got something to offer and should be given next season to see if he really is cut out for the pace of the prem.
aspas, borini and assaidi need to go. neither is good enough for liverpool.
not saying we need 6 players that cost 30+ but we need at least 2 big names with european experience not just players that where born in europe and ply their trade in lower leagues because that avenue hasnt yielded anything so far.
rodgers has done everything and more than whats being asked of him this season in achieving targets so there is no excuse not to give him the money to secure the players he wants. if they don't give it to him this summer then they never will

You've got to feel sorry for Martin Kelly, he was keeping Johnson out of the side and was playing the best footy of his career when he did his cruciate against United, he looked like he was going to be a terrific player and he had even broke into the England squad and made a couple of sub appearances.
As you say it's been 2 years now and he's hardly featured and when he has he's looked slow and off the pace.
I really hope he can regain his old form back.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:41 pm

i do rate kelly and hoped he would have settled into the side by now alongside flanno. he is a decent prospect but not as a RB in this side as its too demanding for him and i dont think he's able to be sprinting the line for 90 mins.
id rather see him kept as replacement for coates and back up to skrtel at RCB. id much rather that than a punt on some nobody that might not be any better.
its a tricky time for him though as he's about to turn 24 so to advance his career he needs games and under brendan i dont think it will happen here. if possible a loan to a prem club under the condition that he plays might be the best option. if it works out for him then he could be in a position to replace one of our aging CH's at the end of next season.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:34 am

If we win this league this season does anyone else think Brendan has set the bar a bit high for next year? I mean, I love BR and I want to win the league but then say we finish 3rd next season...  I don't want the owners to do a city and bin BR off... maybe I'm thinking too much about it.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion