Xabi alonso - The lad

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Sabre » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:49 am

My best friend has dumped her old boy friend and has a new one, and he has turned out to be an interesting guy to share some beers with him as he's a coach in Antiguoko and knew well Alonso when he was 13-17.

Believe it or not, Alonso saw many games from the bench. His brother was better at the time, because he was stronger. At that age (the coach said) they all saw Alonso "had something" special, but bigger boys than him outplayed him due to that strenght. Xabi was quite a shy guy at the time, and somehow he was always under the shadow of his brother. Now he's a world class player and his brother hardly can be considered a primera player.

Fortunately enough a summer everythin changed, Xabi's body changed and he started to be the man we all know. For when I saw him the first time seriously (loan spell in Eibar) I already knew that guy was the best product of our youth system in 20 years.

But it makes me think how many talented players do not reach highest levels due to they don't get the required body soon enough, I see too many big boys playing in the best youth teams just because of that... Reaching the hiighest level can certainly be a matter of luck or a matter that a certain coach is spot on with a player.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:42 pm

It's a thing that I thought didn't occur as much in Spain - it is usually considered a weakness in the British youth system, if I recall from my reading of articles in magazines/newspapers. It's really rare to see a silky player coming from the isles, which I think is a shame. Not many spring into mind; I think Joe Cole is the best example.

I've also seen it here in Australia, where the team player, who doesn't necessarily have fantastic skills...but runs like horse...gets ahead of the more "showboat" player. What I like now though is that there is a trend here for a lot of players to play futsal in the evening social leagues, which not only builds fitness but good ball control. The league I used to play in has a lot of players from the top amateur teams and occasionally have a coach or two watching the games.
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 pm

The north of Spain is different mate, in the Bask Country we have the reputation of having the most british football of Spain, the typical basque player is not a trickster.

But sometimes that made some big boys close the door to more talented players.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:54 am

It's really sad that Britain, Spain (and numerous other countries) have coaches daft enough to pick the strong players ahead of the talented ones.

And people wonder why Brazil kick our a*ses.  :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:24 pm

It must be difficult for coaches, especially in the lower leagues where, unfortunately, brute force often wins out over skill.... They daren't take a risk with a smaller player 'cause their jobs are on the line so they go for the lowest common denominator.... Remember when Peter Beardsley got released from Man U 'cause they thought he was too small..... Oops!

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:36 am

Maybe it's time for a change in the classification system currently employed at grass-roots level.

Rather than playing teams  on an "Under 9/10/11/12, etc" basis, would it be more beneficial to have weight/height catagories? Or even "strength"?

Obviously this would only work up to a point (an 18 year old shortie will be much more advanced than a lanky 10 year old, for instance), but FFS - how much talent does this country waste by picking the meatheads over the truely gifted short-a*ses?

Worth a thought, at least.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:47 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Rather than playing teams  on an "Under 9/10/11/12, etc" basis, would it be more beneficial to have weight/height catagories? Or even "strength"?

how would you ever get picked in any team if that system was used Lando? You probably would have grown up playing darts. (ps i know i know, rugby)

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:03 am

In the late 70's there was a big inquiry into why virtually none of the kids who played for the England school boys teams were going on to make it as professional footballers, while 6 or 7 out of the Dutch school boys team went on to play for Holland.

The inquiry found that the main reason was, English schools football was based around leagues and results. Coaches were under pressure to pick winning teams rather than than developing talent. Players who developed physically at an early age were being picked to ensure results rather than more skillful but later developing kids. Even though many of those later developing kids went on to become much more successful as professional footballers.

In Holland they had very few junior Leagues and the coaches were encouraged to develop talent and not worry about results.Technically gifted small players where able to develop alongside the more physically developed players, without being in a match situation where their lack of height, muscle etc would have been a huge disadvantage.

Whether the enquiry ever resulted in changes to the English system I am not sure.
account deleted by request

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:49 am

Interesting post, Sabre....I caan think of a handful of Irish midfielder "maestros", all of whom in recent years have been said to be the next Liam Brady. I can't think of one who hasn't been kicked around the pitch though - Liam Miller, Stephen McPhail, even a couple of young lads who have since left LFC....Dunno if you know who Liam Brady was, but he played for Arsenal way back when...He wasn't a brick sh1thouse, but he was a class player and had such a silky touch on the ball....He eventually moved to Serie A, to Juventus (I think) where he is still revered. Makes me wonder if these lads were beefed up a bit, they could be something special....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:04 am

babu wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Rather than playing teams  on an "Under 9/10/11/12, etc" basis, would it be more beneficial to have weight/height catagories? Or even "strength"?

how would you ever get picked in any team if that system was used Lando? You probably would have grown up playing darts. (ps i know i know, rugby)

No mate - I was too busy showing off when i was younger:

Always was the showman! :D  :rasp  :D

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:06 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
babu wrote:

No mate - I was too busy showing off when i was younger:

Always was the showman! :D  :rasp  :D

You've put a bit of weight on since that photo was taken Lando  :D
account deleted by request

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge