Which of our current players... - ...would make the best manager?

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby JC_81 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:05 pm

It is becoming increasingly common for clubs to hire recently retired players as managers, or ex-high profile players with little or no management experience - such as Hughes, Dowie, Coleman etc in the Premiership, and also foreign national teams such as Germany (Voeller, Klinsmann) and Holland (Rijkaard, Van Basten).  It is becoming harder and harder for managers who work their way up the lower leagues to get jobs at top clubs despite them having more management experience than those that end up getting the jobs. 

A comment I remember Benitez making about Gerrard in the heat of the furore over his proposed transfer last summer was that he hoped Stevie would stay on at the club for many years perhaps even succeeding him as manager.  This got me thinking, could people see Gerrard being a successful manager at LFC?  Doesn't always work that a great player becomes a great manager - Souness for example.  Or is there anyone else at the club that could fill the role.

People will talk about Carra and Gerrard obviously as they have the passioin etc and are local lads.  I think it is impossible to predict, but from the way players play, surely it would be the most tactically aware players on the pitch that would have the best knowledge when it came to management?  To me, Alonso is our most tactically aware player, he reads the game well and is vocal on the pitch too, a good leader despite not being captain himself.  But at 23/24 management is a million miles away for him.  Then there's Hyypia, also very tactically aware, but maybe not a born leader as his spell as captain demonstrated.

Any thoughts on which of our players might be a future LFC manager, or manager elsewhere for that matter, and why?
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:44 pm

Not Gerrard, he don’t seem to bright football wise, Carragher seems on the ball, as does Hamann, maybe Hyypia.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:31 pm

It's gotta to be Cisse! :p

Seriously tho I could see Hamann as a coach, as well as Carragher, in interviews he seems to know what he's talking about.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:42 pm

Traore anyone?
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby redsince2001 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:44 pm

:p
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby Bad Bob » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:21 pm

Don't know exactly why really but I could see Steve Finnan as a manager.  He's got the tactical awareness to build a team and the even-keel needed to handle the pressure.

Much as I love Gerrard the player, Gerrard the manager would be a worry, methinks!
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby anti-hero » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:30 pm

Der Kaiser.

Yeah!

Dont know why.. he just looks the part. :D
anti-hero
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Good 'God' Growler » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:32 am

Hi everyone i;m new to the forum

Definitely Carragher, although in all seriousness sometimes its the unlikely players, players who u would never think in a million miles would go on to be good managers, like say, George Graham when he was a player at arsenal, hows about Fowler - anyone - with mcmanaman as his assistant    :)
Our Lord God Amen.
Good 'God' Growler

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:29 am

To be quite honest I dont see many modern day top footballers going into management when they finish playing. They earn too much money now during their careers to need a second career when they finish playing. There will be obvious exceptions, players who love football so much that they cant imagine life without the involvement, but for most a newspaper column(ghost written) and their books/dvd will probably be the last we hear of them. I just cant imagine many of the present squad wanting to start a management career at say Bury or Crewe.
          Gerrard or Carragher if the timing etc is right may be offered the Liverpool job which I think both would accept given the chance. I actually  think Gerrard would be a greater success as a manager than Carragher. Carragher appears to me to be more "one of the boys" than Gerrard who seems to hold himself that little bit more apart, which to me is essential in a manager. His reputation will ensure he is given the time to learn his trade.
         Hamann will I hope stay at Liverpool and eventually join our coaching staff, but if he goes back to Germany I could see him making a great success as a manager. I dont see many others being too interested in a management career at all.
account deleted by request

Postby Good Bob » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:55 am

Can't agree with the myth that Hyypia's not a leader.

I would say Finnan or Didi, maybe Sami or Xabi in a few years.
Good Bob

Postby 21guns » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:01 am

david beckam
21guns

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:19 am

Good Bob wrote:Can't agree with the myth that Hyypia's not a leader.

I would say Finnan or Didi, maybe Sami or Xabi in a few years.

I was going to say Xabi.

He's the obvious choice. Definately the best tactical player we have Rafa ALWAYS talks to him during games), never loses his cool, and is a bright lad. (Doing a Business Degree, I do believe.)

I don't think Stevie would be too good in the managers seat - another Souness.

JC would be a good choice, although I can't see him ever being a top, top manager. Same with Robbie. As much as I think he's brilliant on the field, he doesn't seem the sort who would excell as a boss. Good enough to manage in the Premiership, though.

Another shout, IMHO, would be Jerzy Dudek as a goalkeeping coach somewhere. Too nice to be a manager. Zenden may go into management, as might Finnan, Sami and Steve Warnock. (I can see him managing a lower-league side like Scunthorpe, or something!!! :D )

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:46 pm

Managers in our current squad? Now that is a question.

Carra is the obvious choice because he takes no :censored: off anybody, including refs and opposing managers. Stevie could do what Pako does now, a right-hand man, can't see him making it as a manager. Sami or Didi look like managers and i can see both trying it and if it doesnt work then fair enough. Xabi is a brilliant shout. Doesn't seem to be bullied and has the tactical awareness to be a top manager. Steve Finnan reminds me of a physio, running on with the wet sponge when someone has a broken leg.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby thegreenred » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:39 pm

it may surprise a few of you but i believe robbie GOD fowler could become a future reds boss, he has the knowledge of how liverpool is run being there since he was a kid, hes got the arrogance of a shanks, the calm qualities of a paisley, the passion of a dalglish, and he has the love for the club of a evans, but thankfully he has nothing of a souness.
thegreenred

Postby Gerrard n Bellamy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:49 pm

i think that maybe steven gerrard would be a good coach cause i think he has a good knowlege of football and woiuld be quite good :)
Gerrard n Bellamy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge