The Alonso Thread - hands in transfer request

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:43 pm

God, I wish he was still playing for us - class player, class man.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby ethanr » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:52 pm

You know the more and more I hear Alonso speak, the more I think he wants to come back to Liverpool.  It's like he doesn't want to say, hey I don't like madrid that much, I want to play for Liverpool again, but that's what he's feeling.

He's one that really took in what Anfield is like.  He felt the passion from the fans and understands that Liverpool is different.  At madrid, you are expected to be the best and will be hated if you aren't.  At Liverpool, you are loved for being a part of the club and for wanting to be here, being a positive player for the club.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby RedSi35 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Watching him tonight as real madrid tear spuds apart. Everything he does is so effortless, he always finds a pass, he is always available for a pass.

Everything Real do more often than not starts with him.

Wish he could be back here, what a fantastic signing he was..............what a tragic mistake it was to let him go.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:01 pm

RedSi35 wrote:what a tragic mistake it was to let him go.

???

Like we had an option ???

Agree with all the plaudits we give him but let get one thing straight, he wanted to go    :nod

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Top top player. He's always spoken well of us too since he moved.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Aussie Style » Wed May 25, 2011 9:07 am

Xabi Alonso: Why I left LFC
25th May 2011 - Latest News
59 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
654 days since his emotional leaving of Liverpool - and six years on from the glory of Istanbul, Xabi Alonso has a story to tell.

After arriving into a private room deep inside the impressive Real Madrid training complex at Valdebebas, Alonso answered the question of his own press officer when we were asked if 20 minutes would be long enough to conduct this interview.

"No, they can have as long as they need," said the Spaniard, before settling down to open his heart about the triumphs and the torment of his Anfield career in his most in-depth interview - soon to be screened in full on LFC TV - since swapping Merseyside for Madrid.

Alonso's Liverpool story is one of Champions League and FA Cup success, ridiculous long-range goals, defence splitting passes and general midfield mastery.

But the way it all came to an end left something of a bad taste in the mouth.

Fans all over the world were left devastated when the deal to take Alonso to Madrid - a deal which had been on the cards for 12 months after then manager Rafael Benitez confirmed his interest in pursuing the signing of Gareth Barry in the transfer market - finally went through in the summer of 2009.

Suddenly the club's midfield playmaker had gone; the man who made it all happen in the centre of the field and the man who had driven Liverpool to within touching distance of the league title with a record number of points.

Surely he would want to stay and help the Reds take that next, big, elusive step? We had gone so close - why did he have to end his Liverpool love affair now?

The truth can be found by rewinding 12 months when the manager dropped an end of season bombshell on his Spanish star.

"At the end of that season, speaking to Rafa, he told me the situation and that he wanted to sign other players and I could be one of the replacements," he explained. "If an offer would have come, probably I would have been sold. That's when I told myself that the situation had changed - from being a very important player to being one of those who can be sold to get funds to sign other players. I accepted it because I am a professional but you have to realise what your situation is. At the end nothing happened because there was no agreement and we started my last season in Liverpool, but knowing what had happened.

"I had to take it from their point of view. We knew what had happened and once we knew I was going to stay, if the manager was going to pick me then I was going to play as well as possible. There were no personal problems, it was a professional relationship.

"I didn't feel I had a point to prove. I knew what I was capable of giving to the team and what I had given for the four years - and then the last one. In the last one the team was really good, we were winning so many games, beating the top teams home and away and that made a big difference. Because of the silly draws we got at home at the beginning of the season, that's probably why we didn't win the Premier League. We felt we had a very good team, we were very competitive and it was a disappointment not to win the league.

"I didn't know what would happen but at the end of the season, knowing what had happened, I felt if another option was to come I needed to take another step in my career. It was very difficult to take that decision, but it was probably for the best for me because I was not comfortable with that situation and if I had stayed another season it would have been uncomfortable for me.

"I was really happy with the team and my teammates and felt that we could do great things. I was happy on that side but within a club you have to see the big picture and another season would have been too much for me.

"As soon as the season finished I talked to the manager. I knew that maybe Madrid were coming and I said if the terms were good then I wanted to leave."

Alonso may now wear the white of Real Madrid but throughout our chat it's clear the red of Liverpool still has an extra special place in his heart.

Before the camera started rolling on our interview, he was keen to hear about the latest news from Anfield and Melwood, about what the atmosphere is like at the training ground and about the general feeling around the club at the end of another season.

His last visit to Anfield was for a game in December during the closing weeks of Roy Hodgson's reign and he remarked of getting a strong sense that all was not well. He was clearly pleased when reassured the club today is vastly different to how it was just a few short months ago.

While talking through the ups and downs of his five years on Merseyside it's clear one date and one night in particular still brings out a bigger smile than any other.

May 25, 2005. Istanbul. The Champions League final. It may have been six years ago today but for Xabi, and most probably for everyone else glued to their TV sets or inside the Ataturk Stadium on that famous night, the memories come flooding back as though it all happened yesterday.

"To lift that trophy in the first season was a dream come true," he recalls. "We were lucky to live so many big nights on the way to Istanbul, like Olympiacos, Chelsea, Juventus - those were fantastic nights and it was the perfect start for many of us.

"It was a crazy night because we were so enthusiastic before the game but the first half was really tough and really difficult to take, but the team spirit was high and we kept believing, even when it was mission impossible. But we made it and in six minutes scored three goals against a top team like Milan with so much experience. It was a miracle. After scoring the third goal you had the feeling our name was written on the trophy.

"Look at the pictures and my face tells everything before taking that penalty. The responsibility, the tense look. It was more than nerves, it was about the responsibility. It was one of the biggest moments of my career. I missed it but got the reward and it was probably the quickest five metres I have ever run.

"It was unbelievable afterwards. After so many years, bringing Liverpool back to where they deserved to be - you could see the faces and the happiness of the people around Liverpool and wherever we went. Sharing those moments with them was fantastic and totally unforgettable.

"It is a final in the memory of all football supporters. They have it in their mind, it was the greatest comeback ever, so wherever I go they have that memory."

Stay tuned to Liverpoolfc.tv and LFC TV for much more from our chat with Xabi Alonso, including:

* How the fans made it difficult for him to leave

* Why he misses Stevie G and Carra

* His respect for 'King Kenny'

* Keeping in touch with fans on Twitter

* His new life in Madrid

* His love for Liverpool FC

* The future - and whether he may ever return

It's a world exclusive interview with one of our modern day greats - and it's coming soon to LFC TV.

Author: Paul Eaton
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby brentd4 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am

:censored: you rafa, what a tw@t tryin to replace himwith barry, cant believe that. complete bellend
brentd4

Postby metalhead » Wed May 25, 2011 11:17 am

Xabi Alonso is a legend! :bowdown

Did a great interview, kept his professionalism and didn't have a go at his ex-boss with the way things happened before he left, now that's a proper interview.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:34 am

brentd4 wrote: :censored: you rafa, what a tw@t tryin to replace himwith barry, cant believe that. complete bellend

Here we go  :no
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 am

Ciggy wrote:
brentd4 wrote::censored: you rafa, what a tw@t tryin to replace himwith barry, cant believe that. complete bellend

ignore Ciggy,

as much as I love Rafa as a person and how he felt for the club, I think he made a mistake on this one, deep down I think Rafa feels he made a mistake about Xabi
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Wed May 25, 2011 11:39 am

Would love to have him back!
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 am

metalhead wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
brentd4 wrote::censored: you rafa, what a tw@t tryin to replace himwith barry, cant believe that. complete bellend

ignore Ciggy,

as much as I love Rafa as a person and how he felt for the club, I think he made a mistake on this one, deep down I think Rafa feels he made a mistake about Xabi

Totally agree mate, but the name calling is not on, selling Alonso resulted in Rafa losing his own job.  He done great things for the club but that wasnt his greatest moment.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed May 25, 2011 2:34 pm

brentd4 wrote: :censored: you rafa, what a tw@t tryin to replace himwith barry, cant believe that. complete bellend

Not this again. Drop the finger pointing.

What's done is done. Get on with it FFS
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed May 25, 2011 2:46 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:

It was a collosal booboo though LOL

Would take Alonso back in a second
Last edited by dawson99 on Wed May 25, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Wed May 25, 2011 4:02 pm

dawson99 wrote:
SouthCoastShankly wrote:

It was a collosal booboo though LOL

Would take Alonso back in a second

Agree.  Imagine having him and Stevie running the midfield again.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge