Ray kennedy - Read this and remember

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:57 am

I got emailed this poem last night from a mate who seen it on another Liverpool site and i dont mind admitting while reading it i was in tears.

This man was a great player for our club and i watched his silky skills and wonderful passes for years . From being a striker to an outstanding midfielder the man was magic in my eyes.

After reading this poem it just made me feel very humble Ray Kennedy you were a magician in the red shirt :bowdown

A RAY OF HOPE

Cup final week 2001
a centre stage for everyone
a worldwide audience comes to town
for english footballs ‘jewel in the crown’.

A day of glamour for players and fans
fanfares, balloons, and marching bands
but far from cardiffs millenium dome
a lonely figure sits at home.

A frail man who barely talks
who needs assistance when he walks
a man who once stood proud and tall
who’s now discarded by them all.

But thats not how its always been
a geordie boy burst on the scene
an instant star at highbury
his name of course, Ray kennedy.

Think back exactly 30 years
before the illness and the tears
life was so sweet before your troubles
as you helped arsenal win the double.

You stayed with the gunners till 74
then shanks came knocking on your door
his final signing you would be
a master stroke we all agree.

You were quite lethal in front of goal
but ‘Sir Bob’ gave you a differant role
to left midfield, and what a change
with your vision, goals, and passing range.

4 championships, 3 european cups
1 league, 1 uefa, is what you notched up
your records there for all to see
your part of Liverpools history.

What happened next was tragedy
you had a change of personality
with your life and marriage on its knees
you were stricken by parkinsons disease.

You were coaching youths at sunderland
when your worsening illness forced their hand
it was shortly after they cut you loose
you became a virtual recluse.

Financial ruin was quick to follow
you lost your pub then had to borrow
the lowest point was yet to come
your precious medals were all sold on.

Its so sad to see a football great
end up in such a sorry state
a man who never walked alone
in an empty flat with a silent phone.

At the f.a. cup final this year
it would be great for him to hear
reds and gunners in harmony
singing ‘Ray Ray kennedy’.

The clubs should strive to find a way
to treat him like a king that day
just give the man a warm embrace
and bring a smile back to his face.

For when this week is done and gone
his lonely life will carry on
there’s no one knocking on his door
for he’s not famous any more.

So from us all who watched you play
thankyou so much and we all pray
that god will send from his healing hand
a ‘Ray of hope’ for this lonely man.

Dave Kirby

The lad who wrote this needs shakin by the hand to say thanks for reminding us what greatness we had in our midfield
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Do you know what im a bit gobsmacked that theres not one :censored: poster on here who hasnt got something to say about one of our great midfielders of the past

Maybe im just an arl a.rse who actualy feels somethin when i read that piece or maybe theres two many young ones on here who dont remember him playin for us .

Well id say this to you if you havnt seen the man play and you dont remember him read up on your :censored: history of great midfielders that have played for our club and you might learn something.
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm

Great poem and really brought the memories flooding back Nanny
I posted this awhile ago about Kennedy (pinched it off an Arsenal site)

What's the greatest thing an Arsenal player could do? Probably popping up to score a goal at White Hart Lane, thus securing the clubs first title in 18 years, at the home of there feircest rivals ... Not much is going to beat that ..!

Kicked out by Port Vale and told by the club's manager, the great Stanley Matthews that he was too slow to make it at the top flight, Ray Kennedy returned to his native North East. He carried on playing in the local amateur leagues, and working in a sweet factory. After all, a man who was probably the greatest player of his generation has given him his cards, and who was he to argue.

Fortunately for him, an Arsenal scout spotted him playing in a local cup game and invited him on a trial with the Gunners. He signed professional forms with Arsenal in 1968, making his debut in a Fairs Cup game versus Glentoran in 1969. That season Arsenal made the final of that competition, playing Anderlecht in the Final. Losing 0-3 in the 1st leg, a young Kennedy came on as a substitute, scoring a crucial late goal. Arsenal completed the come back in the second leg, winning 3-0 and thus securing the clubs first European trophy 4-3 on aggregate.

The following season was to be glorious for both club and player. Ray made himself a virtual ever present in the Arsenal side that swept all before them, securing the title at White Hart Lane thanks to Ray's winner, and three days later defeating Liverpool on a baking hot day at Wembley. Ray didn't score in the final, but was the undoubted star of that season, ending up as the club's top scorer with 27 goals as Arsenal became only the second club in the 20th century to complete the League and FA Cup Double.

He carried being an important player for Arsenal, ending up as top scorer in two of the following three seasons, unfortunately Arsenal found it difficult to repeat the glory of 1971, and remained trophy-less for the next few seasons.

On a sunny May morning in 1974 the city of Liverpool was rocked to its core as the announcement of Bill Shankly's shock retirement reverberated around the place. This was as bigger news to Scousers as split up of the Beatles. Shanks WAS Liverpool, and Liverpool without him was something no-one had considered.

Something else happened on that very day, hidden by the bigger announcement of the demise of the great man. Liverpool announced the capture of a striker from Arsenal for £180,000. Big money in those days. Ray Kennedy arrived at Anfield as Bill Shankly departed. The great man's last act as the manager.

Despite his goal scoring feats at Highbury, Ray was going to find it difficult to get in the side as a centre forward due to the presence of the great Anfield strike partnership of Kevin Keegan and John Toshack. Bob Paisley, however, had a cunning plan. He handed Ray the No. 5 shirt thus turning this burly centre-forward into an attacking left-sided midfielder. Kennedy was a revelation in this position and never played as a striker again. Timing his runs to perfection he would often ghost into the box, defenders left flummoxed as he would slot the ball calmly into the net.

Kennedy became a massive crowd favourite. He epitomised the Liverpool sides of this generation. Cultured, hard-working and calm under pressure. He won the UEFA Cup in 1976, and almost repeated his Double-winning achievements with the Gunners in 1977, as Liverpool came close to capturing the prized domestic trophies, losing to Manchester United in the FA Cup final, Kennedy almost forcing extra-time as his powerful left foot shot struck the upright with virtually the last kick of the game.

Four days later however, Liverpool became the only second club in English football history to win the European Cup, as they defeated Borussia Moenchengladbach 3-1 in Rome.

Ray went on to secure another European Cup winners medal the following year, and another in 1981. He was also a vital member of the sides that secured 2 more titles and the club's first League Cup.

In his time at Liverpool international honours came Ray's way, playing 17 times for the national team, scoring 3 goals. Many people thought he should have had more caps.

In 1981 Ray left Liverpool to join up with John Toshack at newly promoted Swansea City. It wasn't a great time for the player however, and his career at the Welsh club ended in tears, as the manager (and Ray's ex Liverpool team mate) Toshack accused Ray of not trying.

This was an anaethema to a proud man, from working class roots Kennedy was the last player to accuse of lacking effort. His performances were, however, waning mysteriously. Ray left and returned to his native North East where he played for Hartlepool.

As the season progressed it became obvious that he had a problem, feeling tired and lethargic during and after matches, it became hard to to be selected. He was playing on reputation alone. At the age of 32 (a day before his 33rd birthday, Ray announced his immediate retirement from the game. He went into coaching with Sunderland but the problems that were manifesting himself on the pitch were begining to affect him off it.

After under going many tests, he was diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease at the tender age of 35.

Ray was one of those players whose career ended before the money laiden Premiership, and the onset of millionaire footballers. If Ray had been playing today he would probably be gracing La Liga or Serie A, he was as cultured as they come. David Beckham? You're having a laugh!

Unfortunately, Ray fell on hard times. Arsenal and Liverpool played a testimonial in 1991 where 18,000 turned up to salute the great man. As the hard times hit, Ray was forced to sell many of his medals and memorabilia to help him out financially. Both clubs have been accused of not doing enough to help. They could have bought the medals from him and returned them.

Ray Kennedy now lives in his native North East, increasingly immobile and dependant on family and friends to care for him.

I remember going to Ashton Gate ... I would have been 8 or 9. It was a close game, on a , bobbly pitch on an icy January afternoon. At 0-0 deep into the second half, the ball was slid behind the right-back, and a tall graceful No. 5 latched onto the through ball, controlling the ball when it seemed impossible, with the stricken full-back and centre-half snapping at his heels, and the on rushing goal keper at his feet, he simply lifted the ball, left-footed, into the top right hand corner of the goal.

He turns and with a big grin accepts the congratulations of the grateful team mates and returns to the half way line to complete the task of securing another important two points.

Ray Kennedy, I salute you.
                 ---------------------------------

I was lucky enough to see a lot of Kennedy when he was at his peak, and he was one of the all time great Liverpool players.
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:20 pm

I loved watching Ray Kennedy play , the man was a true great . What a left foot and what poise when in possesion of the ball and he could throw a tackle in for good measure . A legend in the truest sense. :bowdown
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 pm

I remember the bar hitting incident well me heart stopped for a few seconds that day , Could of been the first treble winners if it had gone in , cause we were all over them and we would of defo beat them in extra time .
I got a black eye that day  :(
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:54 pm

Top stuff, we really were needing some more veterans in newkit that talk about Liverpool's glorious past. Keep bringing that stuff
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:01 pm

NANNY RED wrote:I remember the bar hitting incident well me heart stopped for a few seconds that day , Could of been the first treble winners if it had gone in , cause we were all over them and we would of defo beat them in extra time .

I went that day Nanny, travelled there and back on a coach full of mancs. I don't think I have ever felt as bad as I did travelling back   :(

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:15 pm

s@int wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:I remember the bar hitting incident well me heart stopped for a few seconds that day , Could of been the first treble winners if it had gone in , cause we were all over them and we would of defo beat them in extra time .

I went that day Nanny, travelled there and back on a coach full of mancs. I don't think I have ever felt as bad as I did travelling back   :(

Saint do you remember one game at Anfield was called off one night cause it rained so much . I remember it bein a European game and im sure it was against a German team. I was in the Anfield rd that night when it got called off i think it was just before kick off and if my memory serves me right it got played the next night i think and everyone paid about 50p to go in

I was talkin to someone the other day about it but couldnt for the life of me remember who it was against
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:22 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
s@int wrote:

Saint do you remember one game at Anfield was called off one night cause it rained so much . I remember it bein a European game and im sure it was against a German team. I was in the Anfield rd that night when it got called off i think it was just before kick off and if my memory serves me right it got played the next night i think and everyone paid about 50p to go in

I was talkin to someone the other day about it but couldnt for the life of me remember who it was against

Yeah it was the UEFA cup final against Borrussia Munchen Gladback. I went that game as well Nanny, couldn't go the following night though.

Emlyn kept running over to the ref asking for the game to be abandoned.

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:28 pm

Thats happend to me twice now then and against Palace in the leauge cup semi a few years ago
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:36 pm

Great poem.
:)
66-1112520797

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:39 pm

Talking about the Fa cup final does anyone remember Keegan coming out for the second half with his eye all red .
Jimmy Case chinned him for not tryin hard enough:D
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:43 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Talking about the Fa cup final does anyone remember Keegan coming out for the second half with his eye all red .

serious ?
66-1112520797

Postby Reg » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:12 pm

s@int wrote:He turns and with a big grin accepts the congratulations of the grateful team mates and returns to the half way line to complete the task of securing another important two points.

Ray Kennedy was a man of his times, a genius, rock solid, quiet and unassuming. Today's footballers could learn how to lead their lives by watching his play on and off the field. Sure he liked a pint or 10, I remember him causing a rucus in North Wales one year when the hotel owner wanted to close at the bar and he and Jimmy Case decided that wasn't a good idea but that apart, he was a model professional and a lovely man - I'm sure he still is. His medal haul sums up his talent during his tenure in the Great Team Ever to grace British football.

I like the above quote as Ray had a lovely grin. He never over-celebrated a goal like the lads do today, he just had a woop and a cheer and flashed a great big smile. We all beamed back.

God bless you Ray and may he bring you comfort.  :bowdown
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Bamaga man wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:Talking about the Fa cup final does anyone remember Keegan coming out for the second half with his eye all red .

serious ?

Dead serious

He came out at half time an a few supporters noticed his eye was all red. It was only after the Euro cup final in 77 about a week later that Case said he done it.

He was in the Beachcomber a club in town and a few people were buying him a bevy and one of them asked him what happed to Keegans eye . He said hed had a bit of a go at him at half time and let him have one cause he didnt think he was trying hard enough to beat the Mancs . Said his mind was in Germany.

He also repeated the same story to someone in the Leather Bottle pub in Halewood a few weeks later.

I believe him anyway Good lad from Halewood was our Jimmy
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge