WIGAN VS LIVERPOOL - Wednedsay 10th november 19.45 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby akumaface » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:45 am

Honestly, i don't think we have a sh.it squad. THerefore, I think the team should have performed better. Still not convinced with Roy but we will know when the season progresses. The complain that i have is he only plays one single formation regardless of the opponents and this is where he needs to improve.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:57 am

We no longer have a devine right to beat teams. We're not the same team that we used to watch and think "hmmm, I wonder how many we'll get tonight". times have changed so a 1-1 away from home on a cold sh!tty wednesday night is a fair point.

Let's move on, Stoke next I do believe...
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red-er-Dare » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:36 am

Hi,

I was bitterly dissapointed with our performance last night, after the Chelsea result I would have thought we'd have carried the game to Wigan, even after we scored our first goal. Early indications appear that we're very much playing a similar brand of football that Gerard Houllier had us playing when he was here; two banks of four lying deep soaking up pressure looking to hit on the counter attack. Roy is going to need more than this approach if we are looking to consistently go away on our travels (or even at home) to places like Stoke and Birmingham and get three points.

His tactics showed that against 'bigger' teams his methods will stand his sides in good stead, just like when he managed Fulham last year and came to Anfield. However, against the likes of Wigan it's an approach that is not gutsy enough if we're looking to get back into the top four. Yesterday we started brightly and through this start got a good goal, within 15mins of Torres' goal we reverted back into a shell, conceeding possesion and terratorial ground - should a Liverpool side really be doing this against the likes of Wigan? (no disrespect to Wigan but the were in the bottom 3)The longer the game went on, and straight from KO in the second half we literally gave ALL momentum and impetus to Wigan, we willed them on to score a goal against us.

I don't have too much of a problem per se with the tactics, IF they were developed substaintially and I don't know how easy it would be to do this. I don't mind us sitting back, we look organised and hard to break down. The problem really occurs when we retain possesion, our midfield and defence are so deep that we're unable to expand and use the area of the pitch effectively. So what happens is, Skertel, Carra, Meireles whomever, when they've got the ball they really only have the option of a long pass; this is different to a long aimless punt upfield, but more often than not isn't much more effective than a long aimless punt. 9/10 Torres or Kuyt are looking to bring a long pass down and yesterday as we saw, if they failed to control it, or it was intercepted Wigan would build another wave of attack. This cycle would continue and continue on which effectively had Wigan camped inside our half and we looked a poor side unable to get out of our own half.

Roy has either got to stop us sitting so deep early on and rather than be happy to conceed possesion; he should be looking for our lads to gain possesion. Our boys are as good in possesion as they are without it and really it should be us asking their defence the questions not the other way round. If he doesn't want our lads on the front foot? we've got to be much much better at dispersing and making space when we've broke down an attack deep in our own half. I don't know how easy this is to do and looking at our lads yesterday they made this look difficult which I suppose it is, going from sitting deep in a conjested area in your own half to retaining possesion and dictating the game again doesn't look an easy thing to do. This is why we look quick to knock it long and get a counter attack going from it and we saw yesterday our lads we're struggling to do this aswell.

The game we're playing is effectively a counter attacking game and away to Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and so on it will suit better, at home to Blackpool and away to Wigan it will see us struggle. These bread and butter sides, will have a real go at us if you give them so much impetus and it really is walking a tight rope, we don't need to give them any reason to attack us like Wigan did yesterday, we've got to control these games for the bulk of periods.
Last edited by Red-er-Dare on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red-er-Dare

Postby Reg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:00 pm

rocky29 wrote:listen with the squad we have i think were doing better than we should be. Roy is doing a good job with what hes got.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Theres nowt wrong with the squad bar needing a backup for Nando.

Ken Dodd could get equal or better results than the current manager just by telling them to go out there and have some fun.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:15 pm

absolutely laughable how deep we were sitting after taking the lead and inviting pressure. bringing poulsen on for kuyt instead of ngog just about sums it up.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 pm

I agreed with the Poulsen substitution as I think Gerrard is more likely to score a goal off Torres than N'Gog is. Roy obviously felt the same, and was within one inch of being proven correct.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 pm

bigmick wrote:I agreed with the Poulsen substitution as I think Gerrard is more likely to score a goal off Torres than N'Gog is. Roy obviously felt the same, and was within one inch of being proven correct.

But Shelvey made no sense when we had Jovonovich on the bench, Roy must stop playing central midfielders on the wings, Mierless and shelvey belong in the centre not on the right wing its mind numbing playing 4-4-2 with no wingers.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:27 pm

Reg wrote:
rocky29 wrote:listen with the squad we have i think were doing better than we should be. Roy is doing a good job with what hes got.

Ken Dodd could get equal or better results than the current manager just by telling them to go out there and have some fun.

you laughed at me yesterday reg when i said your wasting your time trying to stop the biccering. Who was right? You take pepe nando and stevie out  what have ugot left in our squad not a great deal in my opinion.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:35 pm

rocky29 wrote:
Reg wrote:

you laughed at me yesterday reg when i said your wasting your time trying to stop the biccering. Who was right? You take pepe nando and stevie out  what have ugot left in our squad not a great deal in my opinion.

Your posts dont make sense ? You say this then say in the Hodgson topic are team is able to get into the CL spot and Roys the right man for the job?

I dont get it? ???
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Ciggy wrote:But Shelvey made no sense when we had Jovonovich on the bench, Roy must stop playing central midfielders on the wings, Mierless and shelvey belong in the centre not on the right wing its mind numbing playing 4-4-2 with no wingers.

I know. It was a joke.

First Meireles is played out of position and then he gets subbed for Shelvey, also being played out of position. Genius that. We ended up with three centre backs, four centre midfielders and two strikers on the pitch. Why not shift Gerrard out to the right?

We were so narrow it was embarassing at times. Nzogbia would be boss for us but then again he'd probably get played out of position aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby rocky29 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 pm

Ciggy wrote:
rocky29 wrote:
Reg wrote:

Your posts dont make sense ? You say this then say in the Hodgson topic are team is able to get into the CL spot and Roys the right man for the job?

I dont get it? ???

i support roy cos hes our manager when he does good i praise him when he does sh'ite i sl'ag him off. Not like you  go on a witch hunt from day one for no apparent reason. waiting for the next oppurtunity to pounce on the manager its pathetic and childish. If we win the next 5 games 5-0 then lose the next game you will still say hes not right.
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Redangel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:20 pm

Well , we're all back down to earth after Chelsea. Was actually starting to warm to Roy , but last night was shocking!
When Nando scored after 7 mins i thought 'Yes , 5th here we come '. We should have pressed them then and got a 2nd , but we just sat back and let them play , and to be fair to Wigan play they did !
To take off Kuyt , who I accept was shattered, and bring on Poulsen just sent Wigan the message that we were happy to hang on for the draw.
Not quite the winning mentality John Henry is looking for !
At least we didn't lose !  :p
Redangel

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:24 pm

Just watched a re-run of the game and with hindsight although we were poor I think some of the hyperbole is generated more by the disappointment of our failure to take all the points than the actual performances.

Individually I thought the lads were putting in an  honest effort, but Wigan sussed us and it just wasn't coming off.

We were sitting too "deep" I don't know if this was by accident or design and perhaps we should give some credit to Wigan for the shift they turned in. The biggest probem for us last night was (and may continue to be) our predictability. Every man and his whippet in Wigan knew we'd look time and again to get the ball through to Torres, nullify the balls that are fed to him and with no wide men feeding balls in if Gerrard doesn't break forward we looked pretty toothless.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:26 pm

it has to be said as well, Kuyt had been off injured for a while, and was awesmoe at cheatski and was just shattered...
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Its not the end of the world.  But it was a very good chance to move 5th and stay in touch with the top 4.

It does put more pressure on the Stoke game though.  We really need to beat Stoke and West Ham to set us up nicely going into the Spurs, Villa and Newcastle games.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games