West Brom vs Liverpool Sat 18/08 KO: 3pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:08 pm

Yeah, if we don't hear from ethan today I'm going to wonder if he made it through the night :p
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:11 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:58 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:38 pm wrote:i think the manager should shoulder some of the blame (i dont mean that in a ridiculous `rodgers out` sense) but he did make a few mistakes.
the glaring one was bringing joe cole on when we were 2 down and needed to chase the game, the fact cole limped off clutching his hamstring 5 minutes later is almost incidental, it`s the fact he thought joe cole could turn a lost cause around when sitting next to cole on the bench was a player who at the end of last season turned a F.A cup final around against the european champions and scored the winner in a game where we were down to 10 men for well over an hour.
i thought it was odd that he took lucas off to bring cole on as well, lucas wasnt having his best game in a red shirt but at least he was trying, personally i would have brought gerrard off, he was just walking around with a cob on, by taking lucas off and leaving gerrard on (when he is in one of his moods) we were effectively down to 9 men and others like borini werent exactly contributing much to the cause either. the likes of allen probably woke up this morning feeling like he did the work of 3 men yesterday but thats because he did do the work of 3 men, he had to.
after we went down to 10 men i thought tactically we totally lost our shape, playing with 10 men isnt easy but we totally went to f**k, i know it was slightly different circumstances but as i have already alluded to at the end of last season we went down to 10 men in the 24th minute against blackburn and still came out with a win. rodgers didnt seem to have a clue what to do once plan A had gone out of the window.
these arent major criticism`s but i thought the manager could have done a bit more to affect yesterdays result and performance, he seemed to lose control of the situation tactically, although we were down to 10 men it seemed if we were down to 9 or 8.
we werent playing title contenders yesterday we were playing a side that will be doing cartwheels if they stay in the division.

I think as soon as Carragher was installed in our defence ,the back four seemed to wave goodbye to any semblance of shape
Its no surprise that Skrtels game becomes strewn with errors whenever Carragher is introduced ...

Its also pretty obvious that some of  Phil Dowd's decisions were at times contemptible ,and he made certain that we would
struggle in that game from the very onset . Rodgers has a set format and in Joe Allen and Borini he has the players that fit
that mold perfectly ,he also has Shelvey (who I was very surprised to see on the bench ) who imo ideally suits Rodgers playing model .

I honestly don't know where that leaves Gerrard ,because yesterdays performance harked back to how he performed under
Kenny ,and its definitely makes for uncomfortable viewing to watch him going through the motions whilst being oblivious to the one trait that made him truly unique.

I think Rodgers should play Gerrard on the wing ,re invent his role and then just maybe he can produce something worthy
of the exorbitant amount of wages he receives . I also believe he is less than inspirational and should relinquish the
captaincy for someone infinitely more passionate about the shirt ..... Otherwise the unthinkable Liverpool mantra ,about
no player being bigger than the club will be dead in the water .

Like I said Rodgers has a few uncomfortable decisions to make surrounding the lethargy of Gerrard and Downing ,and the
ever expanding waist line of Cole and Adam .

To DISS GERRARD is absolutely... AAAHHHH, can't even finish my sentance  :angry:  :veryangry
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:14 pm wrote:
Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 am wrote:Was going to refrain from posting negative s.*i*e about the game yesterday but woke up today still feeling pi$$ed at the result, so f.uck it, here goes.

Gerrard looked so nonchalant & sloppy yesterday I couldn't believe it, although these kind of appearances for Liverpool are starting to creep into his game more as it appears the good days are behind him. Like many have said, he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore - especially a 3 man midfield!

Lucas looked like the Lucas of the first 3 seasons at Liverpool as opposed to the more recent seasons progressive player. He is coming back from injury and game fitness will take a while to build up but he looked sloppy and quite slow to react yesterday, hopefully when his fitness is up to prem standard again we'll see the improved Lucas, we need that player back ASAP.

Kelly and Johnson I thought were both very poor at fullback yesterday, while Johnson had the more difficult task of playing out of position he has done this before and done it much better, Kelly IMO should edged into central defense. I'd like to see him and Coates at the heart of defense against Hearts on Thursday but I don't think it'll happen.

Even Reina, looked tentative to me, the first half where it was obvious Skertel didn't get a call from him when a harmless ball was floated into the box was headed out for a corner. He needs IMO to command his box MUCH better than he has.

Skertel and Agger did okay IMO but in the second half started getting sloppy too, even when we had the Dane on the pitch the pair of them were exposed a lot by WBA counter attack and there seemed to be acres of room between them and the midfield. That is going to be a concern against the better teams, because in recent years we've been very tight and compact between the lines of midfield and defense but I suppose you opt for a more attacking formation you will inevitably be exposed that little bit more, this concerns me, a balance needs to be found and finding that against Citeh could be hard.

Downing, I thought did okay it patches but he had his usually more fleeting moments of po.o than anything else. The fact a professional footballer is unable to cross with his weaker foot is testament to the fact that most footballers are overpaid pre-ma-donnas, this irks me.

Suarez was wasteful.

Borini was peripheral.

The only plus was Joe Allen who looked very neat and tidy, accomplished and looked at home in his debut game - very good performance from him.

The ref was disgusting.

I shall go on now and mope about the house, either that or go fishing.

Pretty much agree, although because it was basically the whole team under performing, for me, it was nerves.

I'm fully confident you will not see that type of performance again this month, in all our hard games.

A nervy start indeed - A blow to the temple - time to all move on - roll on training Monday morning - YNWA
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:29 am wrote:Was going to refrain from posting negative s.*i*e about the game yesterday but woke up today still feeling pi$$ed at the result, so f.uck it, here goes.

Gerrard looked so nonchalant & sloppy yesterday I couldn't believe it, although these kind of appearances for Liverpool are starting to creep into his game more as it appears the good days are behind him. Like many have said, he doesn't have the legs for midfield anymore - especially a 3 man midfield!

Lucas looked like the Lucas of the first 3 seasons at Liverpool as opposed to the more recent seasons progressive player. He is coming back from injury and game fitness will take a while to build up but he looked sloppy and quite slow to react yesterday, hopefully when his fitness is up to prem standard again we'll see the improved Lucas, we need that player back ASAP.

Kelly and Johnson I thought were both very poor at fullback yesterday, while Johnson had the more difficult task of playing out of position he has done this before and done it much better, Kelly IMO should edged into central defense. I'd like to see him and Coates at the heart of defense against Hearts on Thursday but I don't think it'll happen.

Even Reina, looked tentative to me, the first half where it was obvious Skertel didn't get a call from him when a harmless ball was floated into the box was headed out for a corner. He needs IMO to command his box MUCH better than he has.

Skertel and Agger did okay IMO but in the second half started getting sloppy too, even when we had the Dane on the pitch the pair of them were exposed a lot by WBA counter attack and there seemed to be acres of room between them and the midfield. That is going to be a concern against the better teams, because in recent years we've been very tight and compact between the lines of midfield and defense but I suppose you opt for a more attacking formation you will inevitably be exposed that little bit more, this concerns me, a balance needs to be found and finding that against Citeh could be hard.

Downing, I thought did okay it patches but he had his usually more fleeting moments of po.o than anything else. The fact a professional footballer is unable to cross with his weaker foot is testament to the fact that most footballers are overpaid pre-ma-donnas, this irks me.

Suarez was wasteful.

Borini was peripheral.

The only plus was Joe Allen who looked very neat and tidy, accomplished and looked at home in his debut game - very good performance from him.

The ref was disgusting.

Pretty much agree, although because it was basically the whole team under performing, for me, it was nerves.

I'm fully confident you will not see that type of performance again this month, in all our hard games.

A nervy start indeed - A blow to the temple - time to all move on - roll on training Monday morning - YNWA
the lone wolf
LFC Basic Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Greavesie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm wrote:
the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm wrote:
Franky000 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm wrote:At the start of the 2006/07 season, we drew the first game and lost the next two...

May 13th 2007 Charlton Athletic Home D 2-2 43134
May 5th 2007 Fulham Away L 1-0 24554
April 28th 2007 Portsmouth Away L 2-1 20201

We then went on to finish 3rd...

Under RAFA!

What's April and May got to do with the start of the season?

:buttrock
Priceless....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 am

Greavesie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm wrote:
the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:04 pm wrote:
Franky000 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm wrote:At the start of the 2006/07 season, we drew the first game and lost the next two...

May 13th 2007 Charlton Athletic Home D 2-2 43134
May 5th 2007 Fulham Away L 1-0 24554
April 28th 2007 Portsmouth Away L 2-1 20201

We then went on to finish 3rd...

Under RAFA!

What's April and May got to do with the start of the season?

I think he was trying to be clever, digging up some old nugget of info that'll make him look all informative and important...   FAIL!  :rasp
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:41 am

Roger Red Hat » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:09 am wrote:
I think he was trying to be clever, digging up some old nugget of info that'll make him look all informative and important...   FAIL!  :rasp

he was nearly right, we did have a bad start to that 06/07 season, after 4 games we had won one, drawn one and lost two (one of the defeats was that derby game at goodison when they beat us 3-0 and released a dvd of the game, the game when reina parried carsleys shot up into the air and andy johnson headed it in from close range)
i think the lads general point stands though, just because you have a bad start to a season doesnt mean the whole season is going to be a write off, the beginning of that 06/07 season was bad (made to feel even worse than it probably was by that defeat at goodison) but at the end of that season we finished 3rd in the league and appeared in the european cup final beating the likes of barcelona and chelsea along the way.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby algymoon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:52 pm

the lone wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:14 pm wrote:

Suarez was wasteful.

Borini was peripheral.

The ref was disgusting.

I agree with you, unless we find a top finisher which we have had this problem two seasons ago, we will continue to straggle and we won't finish off any game. Suarez is good front player but he never a top finisher, Borini is very light weight and I can't see him solving this major problem, apart from CARROL where I can see a goal in him, and he does cause big problem in any defense every time he is allowed to play, BR needs to change his mind and give him a chance, KD has suffered from not utilizing his CARROL positive aspects of his game.
SG has passed it, now he make more mistake the ever, and can't not run forward or backward, he does not have the legs anymore, and he won't be able to change any game as he used to.
442 is the only format that it would suit our squad players, I think it is going to be a very hard season for us, 8,9 or less positions, if we do not bring in top quality players!! not the like of Borini that will not hope the cause. There is a chance we can find ourselves pointless after the next five games... THIS IS A REAL WORRY, and we are not Arsenal who had found themselves in same position last year, but then had managed to finish 3rd at the end.
algymoon

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Im never starting a match thread again by the way.....
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:04 pm

I didn’t actually think the first half performance was as good as many are making out. Not surprisingly the Lucus/Allen central midfield partnership didn’t work that well with positional indiscipline meaning not enough protection was given to the centre backs, nor cover for the fullbacks. The fullback didn’t get high and wide enough when we had the ball and ended up hovering in midfield, causing both Borini and Downing to drop wide and deep, which in turn left Suarez isolated and trying to create and score all on his own.  Basically we ended up playing in a similar manner to last season. I’m not 100% convinced that Gerrard is tactically good enough to play at the tip of the 3 central midfields unless Rodgers can give him the meticulous guidance/instruction that he was subject to under Rafa. It looked as though Rodgers had emphasised at half time that we had fallen into old habits in terms of player roles as we came out playing with a slightly different shape but looked disorganised once Agger went off.  All in all there is an awful lot of work for Rodgers to do on the training ground.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games