Stoke City v LIVERPOOL Sat 8th April 3.00 pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Thank God.
Our season was on the line there, we had 45mins to save 8 months of hard work and thankfully we did!
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 pm

We desperately need Lallana back...I hope he is ahead of schedule.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Think that is the first game we have won in 7 without Mané. Monkey off their back. Klopp got away with this one with some very questionable tactics and a goalkeeper who was a bit special !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Sounds like Mingolet was exceptional today, the match summariser on Radio Merseyside (Davey Thompson) gave MoM to him.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Doeboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:54 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:51 pm wrote:
Doeboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:34 pm wrote:What a surprise, we bring on 2 of our first teamers and take the lead. Keep i simple Jurgen, it's not rocket science, especially with other first teamers out through injury.

Get a grip mate, if Klopp didn't start them there was obviously a reason for it. We've already read that Coutinho was vomiting at HT in the Bournmouth game and if I had to guess Firmino is probably running on close to empty  :kungfu:

Sorry, but if you are fit enough to be on the bench then you can play. Start them, get the game won and then take them off and give them a breather when games won. We need people to step up now when we need them the most. If Mane and Lallana were fit, I would have no problem with Coutinho and Firmino on the bench but we are in a crucial period now and just cannot afford to have game changers like Coutinho on the bench when he are fighting hard for something. Just my opinion

I know what you're saying Doeboy but the other side of the coin is that maybe Klopp's plan was to keep a less than fit Coutinho and Firmino relatively fresh for a second half go at a Stoke defence that had already expended a lot of puff ?

Either way it's now a moot point, whatever me or you thought,  bottom line is We Won     :buttrock

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby devaney » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:59 pm

Woof I know what you are saying but I still think Klopp got away with some high risk tactics. In fairness to him maybe that's the only option he has left.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:14 pm

devaney » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm wrote:Woof I know what you are saying but I still think Klopp got away with some high risk tactics. In fairness to him maybe that's the only option he has left.

Yep. Our whole game is setup to start fast and take the game to the opponent from the off. Think leaving out Coutinho and Firmino to a lesser extent when you don't have Mane or Lallana is taking a chance with things. I much rather we start them, take it to the oppo team and try and get the game won early as possible and then take them off. Today we won it in the last 20 mins and it was getting a bit twitchy. Anyway, we got the result we needed and thats the main thing
Last edited by Doeboy on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doeboy

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm

devaney » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:59 pm wrote:Woof I know what you are saying but I still think Klopp got away with some high risk tactics. In fairness to him maybe that's the only option he has left.

In the post-match presser he said Coutinho has lost half a stone in weight due to a stomach bug, so think his hand was forced when it came to selection today mate. HOwever, as Woof said, we won and it's 3 points on the board.

Hopefully Lallana and Henderson will be closer to the squad come next weekend.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Take a bow Bobby, a goal straight out of the Luis Garcia back catalogue , a sweet strike to grace a drab game. I think the managers tactics were to stifle Stoke and to quell the threat of Arnautovic linking up successfully with the returning Shaquiri and in all fairness  the plan was working to the extent it flooded the midfield with Clyne and Milner pushed up to support Can and Wjinaldum, it was only when we were denied a blatant penalty and caught up the pitch still debating the decision that  Stoke managed to  mount their first real counter attack and opened us up.

I think if we had been awarded the penalty it would have been a completely different game and the managers game plan would have ran a lot smoother when he eventually threw our two Brilliant Brazilians into the equation, to be fair I thought Woodburn gave Stoke a real problem at the back because he was grafting on his own because Origi as a strike partner was absolutely woeful and shouldnt be starting games if he's not willing to put the effort in, Divock  still has a lot of work to do if he's citing Henry as a role model   ???

Three massive points and then WB away
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:33 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

In the post-match presser he said Coutinho has lost half a stone in weight due to a stomach bug, so think his hand was forced when it came to selection today mate. HOwever, as Woof said, we won and it's 3 points on the board.

Hopefully Lallana and Henderson will be closer to the squad come next weekend.

Tbh mate some of the stuff Klopp says should be taken with a pinch of salt  :nod Dropping weight like that is serious and would point to a lot more than just a stomach bug. It doesn't add up anyway because the lad has been in fantastic form over the last few weeks.
The other day he was talking about a possible start for Grujic but somehow that didn't happen and he opted for Woodburn and TAA instead. Both had to be replaced at half time because we were struggling.
I am not having a pop at Jurgen but he is not going to come out and explain himself over every tactical decision he makes.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Klopp said Couthino had a bug but I think the real story is he dropped him and Firmino to set an example after another set back against Bournemouth.

It worked as they definitely came on at HT fired up and win us the game with a large amount of help from Mignolet who was meant to be outstanding today.

Big risk by Klopp to do what he did with selection today and its also a shot across the bows of FSG that we need depth, just bunging kids in is not the answer in the Premiership.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:29 pm

Relief or what! Really didn't see us winning that after going 1 down.
Really ecstatic with the 3 points.

We march on...

6 more finals to go.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:15 am

Just saw the highlights on MOTD, we deffo rode our luck, I know Simon made 2 great saves but from Stoke's point of view they were 2 terrible misses by Adam and Berhaino.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 am

Yup same here didn't watch the match so caught the highlights.
Mignolet made some great saves. Had Stoke got a 2nd i feel it would have been all over.
We still are making silly mistakes at the back.
I really don't know what Wijnaldum was doing when he head it back in our box. Did he make a bet or something :D.

Crucial 3 points. We move on..
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:16 am

redshade » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm wrote:Yup same here didn't watch the match so caught the highlights.
Mignolet made some great saves. Had Stoke got a 2nd i feel it would have been all over.
We still are making silly mistakes at the back.
I really don't know what Wijnaldum was doing when he head it back in our box. Did he make a bet or something :D.

Crucial 3 points. We move on..

Yeah I know highlights aren't always the best thing to judge overall performances on but we did seem very ragged at the back. For a team supposedly playing with 3 central defenders it was unbelievable the amount of space Walters found himself in.
He was in acres of space right slap bang in front of Mingolet  :Oo: marking doesn't come much worse than that  :no
We won which was the main thing though.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games